f



Windows 7 file Explorer crashing on encountering Matlab .mat files

I started encountering what appears to be an unusual problem:

Windows 7 file Explorer started crashing and automatically restarting  consistently on opening or browsing any directory containing Matlab .mat files!

Just for example,  renamimg a .mat file extension to .matmat helps explorer to browse directory and renaming it back to .mat immediatelly crashes the explorer.

 I looked int blogs and it appear to be happening to others but mainly with media (e.g. mpeg) files. On my machine, .mat is associated to Matlab via the registry but I can not even run file to program association utility as it uses explorer to search for all file extension on the machine so it crashes too. I did not have much luck with the blogs so I wandered if anyone of you has  a suggestion how to solve this issue.
0
george
12/30/2009 5:28:04 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 211266 articles. 24 followers. lunamoonmoon (257) is leader. Post Follow

5 Replies
1643 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 25

"george " <artilogica@btconnect.com> wrote in message <hhg2j4$dq7$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> I started encountering what appears to be an unusual problem:
> 
> Windows 7 file Explorer started crashing and automatically restarting  consistently on opening or browsing any directory containing Matlab .mat files!
> 
> Just for example,  renamimg a .mat file extension to .matmat helps explorer to browse directory and renaming it back to .mat immediatelly crashes the explorer.
> 
>  I looked int blogs and it appear to be happening to others but mainly with media (e.g. mpeg) files. On my machine, .mat is associated to Matlab via the registry but I can not even run file to program association utility as it uses explorer to search for all file extension on the machine so it crashes too. I did not have much luck with the blogs so I wandered if anyone of you has  a suggestion how to solve this issue.

george,
Not help, but maybe info.
I have pretty plain Win7, x64, with office products loaded.
No such issues.
When new, it had .mat associated with office something.
All .mat files showed as shortcuts & would not show extensions, regardless of settings for show extensions & hide nothing.
Folder options, or equivalent, (non-registry editing) switched it to Matlab & have noticed no ill-effects.
Anyway, I guess that means that you are looking for something different: something in your setup.
0
nanren888
12/30/2009 8:29:19 PM
"nanren888 " <nanren888.remove.this@hotmail.com> wrote in message <hhgd6v$m7q$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "george " <artilogica@btconnect.com> wrote in message <hhg2j4$dq7$1@fred.mathworks.com>...

> 
> george,
> Not help, but maybe info.
> I have pretty plain Win7, x64, with office products loaded.
> No such issues.
> When new, it had .mat associated with office something.
> All .mat files showed as shortcuts & would not show extensions, regardless of settings for show extensions & hide nothing.
> Folder options, or equivalent, (non-registry editing) switched it to Matlab & have noticed no ill-effects.
> Anyway, I guess that means that you are looking for something different: something in your setup.

Thanks

I stil have not resolved this problem and it is becoming a real nusiance
0
2/11/2010 3:48:04 PM
Thanks nanren888 , you points were right :
> "When new, it had .mat associated with office something.
> All .mat files showed as shortcuts & would not show extensions...."

I.e. .mat was associated to MS Access which installled a dll extension for Windows Explorer that was handling .mat as MS Access data table link file in conflict with Matlab

Using MS support forum site:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/b5464736-19aa-43b9-bbff-15431c2602c2/
and their guidelines for use of ShellExView I located and disabled .mat file extension dll handler for MS Access and that solved the issue of Windows Explorer crashing on .mat files. I later re-associated the .mat with Matlab (which was not possible before as the Windows file extensino-program association utility was crashing too).
0
2/12/2010 5:58:02 PM
"george " <artilogica@btconnect.com> wrote in message <hl44ra$478$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Thanks nanren888 , you points were right :
> > "When new, it had .mat associated with office something.
> > All .mat files showed as shortcuts & would not show extensions...."
> 
> I.e. .mat was associated to MS Access which installled a dll extension for Windows Explorer that was handling .mat as MS Access data table link file in conflict with Matlab
> 
> Using MS support forum site:
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/b5464736-19aa-43b9-bbff-15431c2602c2/
> and their guidelines for use of ShellExView I located and disabled .mat file extension dll handler for MS Access and that solved the issue of Windows Explorer crashing on .mat files. I later re-associated the .mat with Matlab (which was not possible before as the Windows file extensino-program association utility was crashing too).

This comes up periodically after applying patches and updates to my computer with MS Office. Microsoft insists on hijacking the .mat file extension for an Access table shortcut and also hides the extension in Windows Explorer. Deleting the appropriate NeverShowExt key in the registry seems to work: http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-tricks/384336-show-super-hidden-file-extensions.html
0
mshore (61)
8/18/2010 1:45:26 PM
"Mark Shore" wrote in message <i4go5m$bl6$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "george " <artilogica@btconnect.com> wrote in message <hl44ra$478$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Thanks nanren888 , you points were right :
> > > "When new, it had .mat associated with office something.
> > > All .mat files showed as shortcuts & would not show extensions...."
> > 
> > I.e. .mat was associated to MS Access which installled a dll extension for Windows Explorer that was handling .mat as MS Access data table link file in conflict with Matlab
> > 
> > Using MS support forum site:
> > http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/b5464736-19aa-43b9-bbff-15431c2602c2/
> > and their guidelines for use of ShellExView I located and disabled .mat file extension dll handler for MS Access and that solved the issue of Windows Explorer crashing on .mat files. I later re-associated the .mat with Matlab (which was not possible before as the Windows file extensino-program association utility was crashing too).
> 
> This comes up periodically after applying patches and updates to my computer with MS Office. Microsoft insists on hijacking the .mat file extension for an Access table shortcut and also hides the extension in Windows Explorer. Deleting the appropriate NeverShowExt key in the registry seems to work: http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-tricks/384336-show-super-hidden-file-extensions.html

I had exactly the same problem. The ShellExViews trick solved it. Thanks.
0
Pablo
2/3/2011 1:12:03 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

convert a .mat file (Matlab 6.5) to a .mat file(Matlab 4)
Hello I've just started using a program, and i need to import data to this program. There are other options but I prefer to import it from matlab...but this program only support matlab 4 version. I want to convert it my file but i son't know why....I've proved with save as..but i had no chance. What i have to do?Someone can help me? Thank you very much! Bye!! Michael wrote: > Hello I've just started using a program, and i need to import data to > this program. There are other options but I prefer to import it from > matlab...but this program only support matlab 4 v...

how to call matlab file to another matlab file
Hey friends, i am working on simulation of power system using matlab. for that i have written codes for generation side and line side separately. Now i want to use the result of generation file to line file....so how can i use the result of one file to another.... eg i have gen.m file from that i can get hourly gen data....now i want to compare that data to line.....and line modelling is done in separate file line.m so i want to call result of gen.m file to line.m file..... waiting for ur valuable suggestion thanks ...

Incompatible of MAT file for Matlab 6.5.1 and Matlab 7.0
Hi! I have recently installed Matlab 7.0. I have save my simulation results in .MAT file. However, these MAT files can't be opened using Matlab 6.5.1. I encountered problem as follows: ??? Error using ==> load Unable to read MAT file D:\MATLAB7\work\results.mat File may be corrupt. How can I solve this problem? Thanks. Linda Please see here: <http://tx.technion.ac.il/~perryb/matlab7/mat7.pdf> In short, save again as: The new features and enhancements are described in the "Release notes" of Matlab. A new feature that causes incompatibility with previous versions of Matlab is the new encoding of MAT files. Matlab release 14 writes character and figure data to MAT-files using Unicode encoding by default. Unicode encoded MAT-files are not readable by earlier versions of Matlab. If you intend to load your MAT-files created with Matlab release 14, you must override the Unicode default during the save. You can override the default encoding by using the -v6 switch with save and hgsave: save filename -v6 hgsave filename -v6 Hope it helps Linda wrote: > > > Hi! > > I have recently installed Matlab 7.0. > I have save my simulation results in .MAT file. > However, these MAT files can't be opened using Matlab 6.5.1. > > I encountered problem as follows: > > ??? Error using ==> load > Unable to read MAT file D:\MATLAB7\work\results.mat > > File ma...

How to set path for .M files. How to include, and verify a file in the MATLAB path. In other words I wish to learn how to setup the path for .M file in MATLAB path? Thanks.
undefined ...

How to set path for .M files. How to include, and verify a file in the MATLAB path. In other words I wish to learn how to setup the path for .M file in MATLAB path? Thanks. #2
undefined ...

run an .exe file whitout matlab with window command and an input file
Hello, I need some help about running an exe file from matlab on windows plateform which didn't have Matlab. I have already read this posting ( http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/303833 ) which is kind of the same problem, but not the same error. My .exe file needs an input file .txt to work. So, on the command window, I try this command : " MyExe < inputfile.txt" But it returns : " Error using "Myfunction.m" (first line) Not enough input arguments Matlab minrhs" However, the function did work before compilation. I also tried : " MyExe < inputfile.txt" where inputfile.txt is a .txt file that only contains the adresse of the input file that my programm needs to work (like proposed in posting mentionned above) but it returned the same error. Anyone has an idea to help me ? ...

How to convert .mat file to .arff file (or) How to import WEKA software into MATLAB
Hi matlab developer, I have a problem of converting .mat file into .arff file and importing the WEKA software into MATLAB. so please give the reply as early as possible. Thank you, Regards, sunilkumar s On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:14:05 -0400, sunil satuluri <sunil.satuluri@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi matlab developer, > I have a problem of converting .mat file > into .arff file and importing the WEKA software into MATLAB. so please > give the reply as early as possible. > > > Thank you, > > Regards, > sunilkumar s The best way to formally request enhancements is to contact technical support with some detail and background info using this link http://www.mathworks.com/support/contact_us/index.html I assume you are referring to the file format detailed here: http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~ml/weka/arff.html I assume you have all the required header information and data as matrices/cell in MATLAB. You could use file IO primitives like FOPEN ('wt' mode) FPRINTF and FCLOSE to write out your data from MATLAB matrices as ..arff files. ...

MATLAB files (M-files)
Hello All, Could anyone explain with me why MATLAB files (M-files) execute slower than compiled written in other languages such as C,C++ and Fortran? Give me the significant slow of M-files to be compiled Thank you. ...

load5
After lots of hunting around with old friends, I was able to locate Windows libraries of Matlab 6.5. In addition, I have put a couple "extras" into the load5 command. As soon as it appears in the file exchange (and i notice it), i will update the file to a .zip file which will contain both Windows and Linux versions of load5. Note that if you use this MEX file with R14 in linux, you will need to copy the libz.so.1.2.2 to either the matlab directory and modify the symbolic links libz.so and libz.so.1, or put it in your path and make sure the LD_LIBRARY_PATH has your directory prece...

How to change MAT-file icon display in current directory window of the matlab workspace
Is thee a way to change the MAT-file icon to something different that the m-file icon in the current directory window of the matlab workspace? I have seen different icons before buit cannot figure out how to do it? Thanks ...

Convert MatLab-files into Xfig files
Hello, Can you please help me on the following? I know that the .fig format of MatLab and Xfig are different though have the same endings. Nontheless I would like to convert my pictures from MatLab into Xfig pictures to edit them further - if possible. If it isn't possible, then does someone of you know which (well known) program I can use to draw graphs and convert them into xfig? Is it possible for Mathematica? Kind regards Lena Malinowski Hello Lena, you can use gnuplot to draw graphs (http://www.gnuplot.info/) and save them to xfig FIG files. Or you can use the program pstoedit (...

batch file processing of text files in matlab
Hi, Can somebody guide me if we can do batch processing on text files in matlab..if yes, any guidelines will be appreciated.. Cordially, safee ...

Published m-files and Matlab File Exchange
Hi, I have a problem with controlling Published m-files while submitting to Matlab File Exchange. According to <http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/codepad.jsp>: To submit a Published M-file, include the HTML folder generated by MATLAB in your zip directory. Your HTML documents will be automatically linked from the Published M-files section of your file page. Try it!". I did tried it and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Lately I updated 2 of my libraries: "PhotonAttenuation 2" and "xml_io_tools" both have zip files with Matlab gener...

convert matlab file to execution file (.exe)
Hi all... can I convert matlab file to execution file (.exe)?? if yes kindly tell me how? thanks Ibtesam On May 9, 1:20=A0pm, "Ibtesam Saleh" <bossy_...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi all... > > can I convert matlab file to execution file (.exe)?? > if yes kindly tell me how? > > thanks > Ibtesam ------------------------------------------------------------- Your first step: buy the compiler product: http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/compiler/ Give it a shot, and then come back with any implementation questions. "Ib...

write a tfw file and tiff file with matlab
Is it possible to write *tfw file in Matlab for a tiff figure created in matlab? On Aug 27, 7:26=A0am, "Quintijn " <q.m.vanag...@student.utwente.nl> wrote: > Is it possible to write *tfw file in Matlab for a tiff figure created in = matlab? Huh? What is a TIFF figure? You create a figure, which may have one or more items on it like axes, text, etc. You can save that figure if you want but it's not really a "tiff figure created in matlab." It's just a MATLAB figure until you save it. You can save it in TIFF format I suppose - see the new Tif...

strange in open files with MATLAB startup file
Hi, All I want MATLAB 5.3 to start in a specified directory and open multiple m files in a single medit window. If I type the lines below in command proppt in MATLAB, after inputting each line hit "Enter", it has no problem, all m files appear in a single medit window. But if I write these linein "startup.m" like this: cd('c:\xxx\xxx') open aaa open bbb open ccc open ddd However, it turns out each m file appears in each medit window, i.e, there are as many medit windows as the m files. Any one know how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance. David ...

how to open .pdf files from Matlab .m files
i hav developed a software in matlab and want to add user manuals(.pdf format) to this software. i want to open these pdf files by clicking on a button on the main GUI.please if anybody can help... waiting for an urgent reply.. Thanks... muazma wrote: > > > i hav developed a software in matlab and want to add user > manuals(.pdf > format) to this software. i want to open these pdf files by > clicking on > a button on the main GUI.please if anybody can help... > waiting for an urgent reply.. > Thanks... > > Simply add ! before the pdf file you want to execute ...

How to Make an M-File EXE File in MatLab
I am currently using R12 of matLab. How can I make an M-File as EXE File? (Anyone can run the EXE File even without MatLab installed in their PC's) What you need is the Matlab Compiler. I understand that the folks in mathworks charge something around the $5000 for it... *BUT* even the compiler, I think, is only supported I in R14. Google "matlab compiler" and see what you'll find. Y. No other way of doing it. Aiza Modesto wrote: > > > I am currently using R12 of matLab. > How can I make an M-File as EXE File? > (Anyone can run the EXE File even without MatLab installed in their > PC's) Aiza Modesto wrote: > > > I am currently using R12 of matLab. > How can I make an M-File as EXE File? > (Anyone can run the EXE File even without MatLab installed in their > PC's) I refer the honourable gentleman to the answers posted on eng-tips in response to this question. That before the thread was deleted. You might have a look at the O-Matrix Development Kit, http://www.omatrix.com/omrte.html. It can be a much more affordable route for creating royalty-free, standalone distributions. "Yoav Mor" <mor_yoav@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:ef1c874.0@webx.raydaftYaTP... > What you need is the Matlab Compiler. > I understand that the folks in mathworks charge something around the > $5000 for it... *BUT* even the compiler, I think, is only supported I > in R14. > > Google "matlab ...

matlab crashes (win 7 64 bit) without messages, logs or dumps while using mex-files linked with itpp library and compiled with mingw
Hello, I know, that this a very special problem and I would like to provide an error log or something like this, but this is the problem. Following situation: Matlab 2010a (64bit) on Win 7 64bit Enterprise Mingw-w64 with basis msys environment used modified gnumex to create .def and .lib files mexopt.bat modified to work with mingw This setup works perfectly. I can write,compile,link and run mex files. Moreover, I compiled the itpp library with msys/mingw and created static libs as well as shared libs. Now, the problem: At the point, when I include an itpp related class of fu...

MAT files : MATLAB COMPILER
Hi all, I'm a newbie with matlab compiler. I'm trying to compile a certain set of M-Files and these m-files also require certain data files(*.MAT). When I compile using the following commands : mcc -mv file1 file2....fileN data1.mat data2.mat (LCC is my compiler) I get the following error data1.mat: unknown file type C:\MATLAB\R2006A\BIN\MEX.PL: Error: Link of 'file1.exe' failed. Error: An error occurred while shelling out to mbuild (error code = 1). Unable to build executable. ??? Error executing mcc, return status = 1. Can someone tell me what wrong am I doing ? ...

Reading MATLAB (*.mat) files
Would anybody have a programme that could be used to read MATLAB files into IDL - the most recent version of MATLAB? thank you, Neil On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:41:07 -0700, Neil put fingers to keyboard and said: > Would anybody have a programme that could be used to read MATLAB files > into IDL - the most recent version of MATLAB? thank you, > Neil Well I was going to point you to Ben Tupper's site where there exists a tool to do something along those lines, but the link I have for it doesn't go where I think it should (ie, not to Ben's site). I imagine, however that he...

mex file, matlab crashes
I have a mex file, i deallocate memory for every thing i use, apart from a waveform which receive.I allocate space for it through mxCalloc and doesnot set if free. the matlab call is [a,b]=my_func(c,d) the mex file compiles smoothly and the first time i call the function in matlab, it works smoothly, but when i call the function again , the workspace goes blank, though if i type 'a' in command window, i can see the contents of a, and i can plot the contents of a too, now if i plot again, the matlab simply crashes (segment violation), it says to save ur work and restart matlab, ...

Mex file crashes Matlab
Hello all, I created successfully a mex file. It is linked to an external dll and it worked fine (it returns correctly to matlab a vector). Recently I added an new function inside my c++ file which does not affect the result of the c++ function but is just used to improve some data manipulation. By the way, this function works quite well in a simple c++ file and I have already used many times in other c++ files (no-mex files). After added this function my matlab crashes and returns me this error: MATLAB crash file:C:\DOCUME~1\MILCEMEA~1.VAA\LOCALS~1\Temp\matlab_crash_dump.2996 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Segmentation violation detected at Wed Jul 28 18:38:04 2010 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Window System: Version 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 3) Processor ID: x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel Virtual Machine: Java 1.6.0_04-b12 with Sun Microsystems Inc. Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM mixed mode Default Encoding: windows-1252 Fault Count: 1 Register State: EAX = ffff5df8 EBX = 00c2e01c ECX = ffffffff EDX = e06d7363 ESI = ffff5df4 EDI = 04f169ec EBP = 00c2e028 ESP = 00c2cf40 EIP = 04ec186e FLG = 00010286 Stack Trace: [0] qlDiscountFactors.mexw32:0x04ec186e(0x00c2e158 "x£", 0x00c2e0b8, 0x00c2e1fc, 0) [1] 0x00c2e20c(0x8b00032b, 0x04c483d8, 0x85e85d89,...

convert simulink file ( *.mdl )to M-FILE in matlab
hiii i have simulink file ( c.mdl )and want to convert it to M-FILE in matlab ...

Web resources about - Windows 7 file Explorer crashing on encountering Matlab .mat files - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Fenghuang 'Love Encountering Festival' being criticized as publicity stunt
Fenghuang 'Love Encountering Festival' being criticized as publicity stunt

Encountering Vishnu
The Biglaw-inspired incarnations of Vishnu assume the form of senior female attorneys to become career-death, destroyer of junior associates. ...

For The Second Year Running, iOS 4.2.1 Users Are Encountering New Year Alarm Issues
If you havent yet updated your iPhone or iPod touch past iOS 4.2.1, youll likely find that alarms set within the built-in Clock app arent working. ...

Encountering Frugality in the Garden of Forking Paths
Winter Fundraiser 2012, Day One Our quarterly fundraiser is the Löbel Bastion of the Gates of Vienna enterprise, the last redoubt holding back ...


Clam on a table, encountering salt
[via kottke, Sarah Kliff, Melissa Bell , and Andrew Simone]

Everything You Shouldn't Do When Encountering a Great White Shark
When coming across a Great White, the experts say that it's best not to draw attention to it...that means screaming, smashing, etc... Lucky for ...

Encountering Miracles!
New York Times bestselling author Eric Metaxas recently spoke to CP Voice about his new book Miracles: What They Are, Why They Happen, and How ...

Jack Hanna's advice when encountering a wild animal and he explains the uptick in wild animal attacks ...
... regarding animal attacks in the U.S., including a Florida teenager who lost part of his arm in an alligator attack. Hanna's advice when encountering ...

Encountering Depression and What It Means To Be Well
... interesting or stimulating, you feel like it was a good day on this planet, recognising that we have a finite number of them. The post Encountering ...

Resources last updated: 3/20/2016 8:22:42 PM