Writing a Matlab add-on in a Matlab clone?

What is the best Matlab clone and is it good enough to write Matlab software
in?

I'd like to use one of these free clones to start writing Matlab add-ons. I
am aware of Scilab and GNU Octave. The former seems to be more popular.

The F#.NET Journal
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/fsharp_journal/?usenet
0
jon (3344)

Jon Harrop wrote:

> What is the best Matlab clone and is it good enough to write Matlab
> software
> in?
>
> I'd like to use one of these free clones to start writing Matlab
> add-ons. I
> am aware of Scilab and GNU Octave. The former seems to be more
> popular.
>
> --
> Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy
> The F#.NET Journal
> <http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/fsharp_journal/?usenet>

I think Scilab is by far the best clone of Matlab. Pretty impressive
what the guys at inria achieved. However, Matlab has still
considerable advantages over Scilab (particularly with its
toolboxes). Imo, a good way is to start with Scilab and get
acquainted. If it is needed, you can quite easily switch to Matlab.

Need to confess: My overall favourite is still Mathematica.
Sometimes I use it together with LabView. Can't think of anything
better.

Mark F.
0
markf223 (1)