Calling R, C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Perl, etc. from a SAS program

What about a Perl script calling SAS, R, C++, C# etc. rather than SAS
calling these languages? Wouldn't it be easier? What are the pluses /
minuses?

I'm used to write Perl scripts to pre-process messy data (text mining)
and produce summary tables, then feed the clean summary tables to SAS.
What do SAS engineers think about this strategy?

Feel free to reply on http://www.analyticbridge.com/group/sasandstatisticalprogramming

Unstructured data will always be with us since people communicate in an
unstructured way. Will the unstructured section be held within a structured
framework? Sure, I can see that.

Alan

Alan Churchill
Savian