Calling R, C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Perl, etc. from a SAS program #2

What about a Perl script calling SAS, R, C++, C# etc. rather than SAS
calling these languages? Wouldn't it be easier? What are the pluses /
minuses?

I'm used to write Perl scripts to pre-process messy data (text mining) and
produce summary tables, then feed the clean summary tables to SAS. What do
SAS engineers think about this strategy?

Anybody has thoughts on this? Feel free to reply on
http://www.analyticbridge.com/group/sasandstatisticalprogramming
0
vincentg (41)

Vincent,

Let's look at the process.

SAS produces a dataset after a lot of processing. You don't need a 3rd party
calling a 3rd to do something.

Read a SAS dataset directly using the FREE SAS OleDb driver. Once it is in
memory, manipulate to your heart's content and then write it back out to the
source you need it to go in.

Pluses?

Minimal steps reduce the surface area.

Alan

Alan Churchill
Savian
www.savian.net

What about a Perl script calling SAS, R, C++, C# etc. rather than SAS
calling these languages? Wouldn't it be easier? What are the pluses /
minuses?

I'm used to write Perl scripts to pre-process messy data (text mining) and
produce summary tables, then feed the clean summary tables to SAS. What do
SAS engineers think about this strategy?

Anybody has thoughts on this? Feel free to reply on
http://www.analyticbridge.com/group/sasandstatisticalprogramming
0
savian001 (795)
8/26/2008 2:28:39 AM
I think you use whatever suits your needs, is maintainable also by
other people and efficient both in coding and processing.

Calling R, C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Perl, etc. from a SAS program
What about a Perl script calling SAS, R, C++, C# etc. rather than SAS calling these languages? Wouldn't it be easier? What are the pluses / minuses? I'm used to write Perl scripts to pre-process messy data (text mining) and produce summary tables, then feed the clean summary tables to SAS. What do SAS engineers think about this strategy? Feel free to reply on http://www.analyticbridge.com/group/sasandstatisticalprogramming Unstructured data will always be with us since people communicate in an unstructured way. Will the unstructured section be held within a structured framework? Sure, I can see that. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: Vincent Granville [mailto:vincentg@datashaping.com] Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 11:19 AM To: Alan Churchill; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: Calling R, C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Perl, etc. from a SAS program Alan, I found it much easier to process un-structured data in Perl then feed the cleaned, summarized data to SAS. You get the best of both languages when you proceed as suggested, and it takes considerably less time to finish the project. Now, I know a few very good SAS programmers who know all the substleties of string parsing in SAS and can do with SAS what I do with Perl, as easily. But I'm not one of them. Vincent PS: one of my colleagues believe that un-structured data is a thing of the past. In a few years, all data (even messages posted on usenet) will be structu...

Re: Calling R, C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Perl, #2
Alan, I found it much easier to process un-structured data in Perl then feed the cleaned, summarized data to SAS. You get the best of both languages when you proceed as suggested, and it takes considerably less time to finish the project. Now, I know a few very good SAS programmers who know all the substleties of string parsing in SAS and can do with SAS what I do with Perl, as easily. But I'm not one of them. Vincent PS: one of my colleagues believe that un-structured data is a thing of the past. In a few years, all data (even messages posted on usenet) will be structured. At 07:28 PM 8/25/2008, Alan Churchill wrote: >Vincent, > >Let's look at the process. > >SAS produces a dataset after a lot of processing. You don't need a 3rd party >calling a 3rd to do something. > >Read a SAS dataset directly using the FREE SAS OleDb driver. Once it is in >memory, manipulate to your heart's content and then write it back out to the >source you need it to go in. > >Pluses? > >Minimal steps reduce the surface area. > >Alan > >Alan Churchill >Savian >www.savian.net > > >-----Original Message----- >From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Vincent >Granville >Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 8:03 PM >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: Calling R, C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Perl, etc. from a SAS program > >What about a Perl script calling SAS, R, C++, C# etc. ...

C,, C++, Java, C#
I come from C,C++,Java and C#. What can SmallTalk do for me and for what cost? Regarding the Squeak thing, it's interesting though confusing. Is it an IDE? Why are the menus so wacky? "DM McGowan II" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:PLednX2vnLd11IncRVn-rA@comcast.com... > I come from C,C++,Java and C#. What can SmallTalk do for me ...? Ask not what Smalltalk can do for, but what can you do with Smalltalk. :-) In very few words, it significantly reduces time to market, while enhancig the development experience. This is because: 1. It manages the memory for you, so you don't have to allocate/deallocate all the time (the source of some of the most nasty bugs in C). Java and C# learnt that feature from ST. 2. It has single inheritance. 3. All the development is in a single file, called the image, so you don't have to fish for where did you put that missing class. Yet, you don't have to go through thousands of lines of code to find the method you wrote three months ago. 4. It's the language for which it's easier to work within the Agile methodologies. 5. It's strongly typed without being unnecessarily redundant. 6. It's "wacky" interface releases you from the need to use curlys. 7. It comes with a huge library, so you don't need to reinvent the wheel as much. 8. It's debugger is highly integrated and friendly, so the experience of findin...

SAS/C INTEROPERABLE WITH IBM C/C++
SAS/C INTEROPERABLE WITH IBM C/C++, WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES, DOES SAS/C PRODUCE SAME TYPE PERL EXTENSIONS AND INTEROPERATE WITH C MODULES THAT RESULT FROM COMPILATIONS USING LE ? IF I AM RUNNING IBM C, CAN I EASLY CONVERT TO SAS/C ? "kk" <kevin.walcott@mail.va.gov> writes: > SAS/C INTEROPERABLE WITH IBM C/C++, WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES, DOES > SAS/C PRODUCE SAME TYPE PERL EXTENSIONS AND INTEROPERATE WITH C MODULES > THAT RESULT FROM COMPILATIONS USING LE ? > IF I AM RUNNING IBM C, CAN I EASLY CONVERT TO SAS/C ? YOUR QUESTION IS OUTSIDE THE DOMAIN OF COMP.LANG.C,...

Better C/C++ Than C/C++?
I am looking for a good systems programming language that can be used instead of C/C++. My qualifications for the language are: * mature compiler(s) that produce native-code binaries (for Windows) * open source - preferable, but not 100% necessary Thanks, Kevin "Kevin Albrecht" <kevin@albrecht.net> writes: > I am looking for a good systems programming language > that can be used instead of C/C++. My qualifications > for the language are: > > * mature compiler(s) that produce native-code > binaries (for Windows) Ocaml, D, cyclone, Eiffel, Beta > * open source - preferable, but not 100% necessary what's wrong with using C? Friedrich > what's wrong with using C? Too low level, no built-in garbage collection. -- Kevin "Kevin Albrecht" <kevin@albrecht.net> writes: >> what's wrong with using C? > > Too low level, Well the Smalltalk people say, have a small language and a big library. I assume C's library status beyond that of Smalltalk. > no built-in garbage collection. Use the Boehm Weisser GC. Friedrich "Kevin Albrecht" <kevin@albrecht.net> wrote in message news:<2TiYb.237892$rj7.1641209@twister.tampabay.rr.com>... > I am looking for a good systems programming language > that can be used instead of C/C++. My qualifications > for the language are: > > * mature compiler(s) that produce native-code > binaries (for Windows) > ...

methods to call matlab in C C++ and call C C++ in matlab
Hi, I am reading the help documents about how to program matlab and C C++ together and my questions are a little bit general. It seems that are several ways to call matlab in C C++ and another several ways to call C C++ in matlab. Please correct me if I am wrong or missing something when I try to list them. To call matlab code in C C++, are there two methods available? The first one is Matlab engine and the second one is to use MATLAB Compiler mcc to create C or C++ shared libraries from your MATLAB code. To call C C++ in matlab, are there also two methods? The first one is to call funct...

Calling the C API from Python and Python program from same C API
Hi Guys, I am having problems in the following C API program where myOtim_system is callable from python function. The module is listed below - static PyObject * myOptim_system(PyObject *self, PyObject *args) { const char *command; double u0, v0, u1, v1, u2, v2, u3, v3; int sts; /* variables */ PyObject *pstr, *pmod, *pdict, *pfunc, *pargs; char * cstr; char *dummy = "Test"; char *x = "x = "; if (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "s", &command)) return NULL; /* convert them to the doubles */ sscanf(command, "%lf %lf %lf %lf %lf %l...

F r e e C I S C O C e r t i f i c a t i o n s #2
F r e e C I S C O C e r t i f i c a t i o n s Hi friends, 1st time get latest CISCO Questions and Answers Dumps, Practice Exams / Tests and Real Certifications for FREE. I have used and found this site very helpful to pass CISCO certifications. Visit Now http://freeexamking.com/vendor.asp?v=7 ======================================================================= You will pass all the exams at 1st attempt No more headaches and worry about spending the time and money to attempt another exam again. You will pass all of your exams, every time http://freeexamking.com/vendor.asp?v=7 ...

C/C++, Perl, etc. to Python converter
Is there a Perl to Python converter? Or in general: a XY to Python converter? Is see, that Python is much better then Perl anyway. But for beginners, they whant to konw how is this done with Python etc. Sure, there are some docus out there in the internet. But a converter? mm wrote: > > Is there a Perl to Python converter? > Or in general: a XY to Python converter? > > Is see, that Python is much better then Perl anyway. > But for beginners, they whant to konw how is this done with Python etc. > > Sure, there are some docus out there in the internet. But a conve...

C++ And TDD/ C++ programming on Android/ String Calculator Kata in C++/ C++and OpenGL on Android with the NDK/c++ Convert Integers to Roman Numerals #2
- C++and OpenGL on Android with the NDK Ian presents how to use the Android NDK to program in C++ with STL. The presentation was given about a week before NDK-r5 came out so the parts about using a modified tool-chain are outdated DOWNLOAD http://hitfile.net/aL1K -C++ programming on Android Android is a Java-centric mobile operating system built on top of Linux. For those times when the Android API doesn't do what you want, or doesn't do it fast enough, you can always get down-and-dirty with C/ C++. The author discusses the hows and whys of so-called "native&quo...

ATTENTION:
NONE I am a highly qualified consultant looking for a contract mission or a turn-key project in the following domains: - Software development using C/C++/C#, Java, and Perl - UML-OO Anlysis and Design - RDBMS/SQL Modelling and Implementation (Oracle, DB2, Informix, Sybase, InterBase) - Unix/Linux based system architecture and cross-platform development - Unix to/from Windows XP/NT system ports. - IT Audits. With kind regards. ...

C/C++ in MATALB or MATLAB in C/C++?
Hi I've been asking on the net how to use MEX properly so that I can use C/C++ in MATLAB, but information is not forthcoming. There seems to be a lot on using MATLAB in C/C++ but not the other way around. I understand Mathworks is trying very hard to sell the Matlab Compiler, but even so, why is it SO hard to get information about MEX? Or is it that I've missed something very fundamental, meaning that I'm struggling over something that is actually quite easy? Any thoughts and info would be great. Thanks BullDog BullDog wrote: > Hi > > I've been asking on the net ...

C/C++ in matlab and matlab in C/C++ ?
Is it possible to read C/C++ code in matlab and the other way around too? Hi, as long as C or C++ are written in text files you can edit them in the matlab editor. To see the special character of C or C++ coding language, in the editor go to menus: file>preferences>Edito/Debugger>language and on popup "Language" select "C/C++". This does not allow you to run the C/C++ code, just to view it i nicer way... regards, chris saneman <asdfsdf@asd.com> wrote in message <frl846 $f8i$2@news.net.uni-c.dk>... > Is it possible to read C/C...

Calling Java from C/C++
I have a situation where I need to call Java from C/C++ pathway server. Please let me know specific links, manuals, sample code so that I can read and implement it. Thanks. TandemQuest wrote: > I have a situation where I need to call Java from C/C++ pathway > server. Please let me know specific links, manuals, sample code so > that I can read and implement it. Thanks. One approach is to make the Java code be a server of its own and communicate with it via a request/reply. You would use SERVERCLASS_SEND_() in the C/C++ code to send the message and get the reply. In the Java...

Attention: European C/C++/C#/Java Programmers-Call for Input
Hi All, My company is developing a new programming language targeted at continuing with the original charter by the C language for development of Operating Systems in a HLL as well as applications, device drivers etc. This language has an extended character set and, although all of the key words will (still) be in English, identifiers (i.e. names of things) can use additional European characters (such as those with accents, diaeresis, cedilla etc). For efficiency, a 254-character subset of them are going to be used in creating a character space that encodes them into a single byte. These wi...

c,c++,obj-c
Of the 3 languages titled in this post is c++ older than obj-c ? Would someone experienced in C be able to dive right into C++ rather than obj-c ? Java is out for me now except applet programming I think I'm going to go with just C and C++. Bill Bill Cunningham wrote: > Of the 3 languages titled in this post is c++ older than obj-c ? Why does that matter? Do you want to use an old language? Try Fortran or LISP. > Would > someone experienced in C be able to dive right into C++ rather than > obj-c ? Not quite dive in, at least not into the OO parts of C++. ...

C, C++ and C# Forums
Throne Software has opened up C, C++ and C# Forums at: http://www.thronesoftware.com/forum/ Join us! ...

An example of a Java application calling C, and the C calling Java methods?
I have been able to use the JNI to write a Java application that calls C functions, but I am having a heck of a time getting the C functions to reliably call Java methods. I believe that the problem has to do with multiple threads and not having the correct value for the JNIEnv when the C function decides to invoke a Java method. There must be some way for a C function to retrieve the current JNIEnv that invoked this C function, without passing it in. Please? On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:11:11 -0600, "Clayton E. Cramer" <clayton@claytonDELETETHIScramer.com> wrote or quoted : >I have been able to use the JNI to write a Java application that calls C >functions, but I am having a heck of a time getting the C functions to >reliably call Java methods. I believe that the problem has to do with >multiple threads and not having the correct value for the JNIEnv when the C >function decides to invoke a Java method. There must be some way for a C >function to retrieve the current JNIEnv that invoked this C function, >without passing it in. Methods you may find of interest JNICreateJavaJVM -- fires up a brand new JVM inside a standalone C Program. which will give you an env. You can start up a new thread in the JVM with AttachCurrenThread. I suggest you look at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jni.html and follow the link to Liang's book, chapter 7. -- Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green. Coaching, problem solving, economical contract programmi...

C binding to transfer matrices from C to Python and from Python to C
Hi all, Has someone written a C binding to transfer matrices from C to Python and vice versa ? Any pointer would be appreciated. Nils Nils Wagner <nwagner@mecha.uni-stuttgart.de> writes: > Hi all, > > Has someone written a C binding to transfer matrices from C to Python > and vice versa ? Is your question more along the lines of "I have an algorithm written in C that operates on matrices; how do I call it from Python?" I presume you want Numeric or numarray matrices. From easy to hard (and less to more powerful :-): - f2py will wrap C code. However, las...

Convert Pascal to C, C++, C# or Java
I'm currently doing a research project dealing with genetic genome matching across multiple DNA bases. I'm most familiar with Java, C, and C++. I was able to write some code to match DNA base strings against DNA base substrings across multiple genetic genomes. It works but it is very slow for large sets. As a result, to improve on the running time, I decided to research on some substring matching algorithms and I found many, but none that incorporate wildcards in C++, C, or Java. However, I was able to find a similar problem dealing with a delete that creates wildcards in a ACM progra...

type ranges for c,c++,java,c#
hi, is all the type range (int,float,double,...) for all languages same? Does anyone has URL of the type range for different languages? thank you On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:14:23 +0800, "smith flyers" <flyer@masfd.com> wrote: >hi, is all the type range (int,float,double,...) for all languages same? No. For C and C++ only minimum and relative ranges are defined for atomic types. However, C99 has a header that optionally defines exact size types. For Java and C# the ranges are exactly defined, and I believe they are the same for corresponding types. C# has unsigned inte...

C++ or C?
I am new to MPI and have a basic understanding of C and C++. So I was wondering if any of you guys with experience in using MPI had any pointers with regards choosing either C or C++. I intend to use MPI in parallelizing code I have that was written in Java. So obviously the Java code it is heavly object orientated. With regards parallelizing it; right now I think it will mainly be a Master-Slave style of design with no inter-process communication needed once the master has sent the work to the slave. Most, if not all, of my communications will involve simply sending a large object from the master to the slaves, with the slaves returning this object (a modified version of) to the master. Right now I am thinking that it would be most convenient to just write it in C++. But with regards performance, will there be a significant overhead in using C++ as oppossed to C. Also, can I simply send a C++ object using MPI_Send? Apologies if these questions sound naive/trivial...but i am new :) Any help appreciated, Pat. Patrick schrieb: > I am new to MPI and have a basic understanding of C and C++. So I was > wondering if any of you guys with experience in using MPI had any > pointers with regards choosing either C or C++. > > I intend to use MPI in parallelizing code I have that was written in > Java. So obviously the Java code it is heavly object orientated. With > regards parallelizing it; right now I think it will mainly be a > Master-Slave style o...

C C++
While reading some source code, I saw a variable called "end" of type "time". So I investigated what the type "time" meant and saw that time was a typedef for "Real". So what does "Real" mean? "Real" is a typedef for QL_REAL. So what does "QL_REAL" mean? QL_REAL is type double via the line of code #define QL_REAL double.... "Mallik * G" <gadde.mallik@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7e4a882c-6f46-46eb-aa54-903842fa1b4d@p39g2000prm.googlegroups.com... > While reading some source code, I saw a variable cal...

C or C++
Hi All, I am starting to learn C and am wondering if C++ may be a better choice? The purpose is to do free software development and eventually contribute to existing projects. I believe that a lot of gnome stuff is c and kde stuff tends to be c++ is that correct? what would other people out their recommend. I realize there are lots of different opinions on this but I was just interest to see third party thoughts. Thanks Anthony Anthony Irwin <nospam@noemailhere.nowhere> wrote: > Hi All, > > I am starting to learn C and am wondering if C++ may be a ...

Web resources about - Calling R, C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Perl, etc. from a SAS program #2 - comp.soft-sys.sas

London Calling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
London Calling is the third studio album by the English punk rock band The Clash . It was released in the United Kingdom on 14 December 1979 ...

List of country calling codes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of country calling codes defined by ITU-T recommendations E.123 and E.164 , also called IDD ( International Direct Dialling ) ...

Free VoIP Calling Added To Facebook Messenger For IOS In The U.K.
Voice-over-Internet-protocol calling has made its way across the pond for Facebook Messenger users, as the social network updated its iOS version ...

Facebook Video Calling - Facebook
Bring your conversations to life on Facebook. With face-to-face video calling, now you can watch your friends smile, wink and LOL. To get started, ...

Orange telecom announces partnership with Facebook to launch social calling app
French telecommunications company Orange today announced a partnership with Facebook to offer a social calling application that will allow users ...

Berlin Calling (@neuraum) on Twitter

Calling all foodies: Here comes @TwitterFood
There are many thousands of food-related Tweets people send on Twitter each day – Tweets about meals, ingredients, favorites, recipes and dining ...

YUBISASHI NIPPON CALLING ENGLISH for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get YUBISASHI NIPPON CALLING ENGLISH on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Mariah Carey's brother lashes out at singer, calling her an 'evil witch'
In a bizarre outburst, Mariah Carey's older brother has called her an 'evil witch'.