Can proc sql read raw data from a big text file?

Because I have a SQL codes provided for SQL server to read such data.
I couldn't find any example that proc sql can read raw data from a
file.
Thank you for your answer.
Andrew

Andrew,

No, it cannot. The only "proc" capable of reading raw data from a text file
(regardless of size) is the Data step. The only exceptions are raw text
files with a predetermined structure, such as CSV files.

Kind regards,
----------------
Paul M. Dorfman
Jacksonville, FL
----------------

0
sashole (972)
8/30/2004 5:14:27 AM
Andrew:
Paul has answered your question. I would add that you can use a Data step
view to stream data through a SAS SQL WHERE clause. In a quick sketch,
data tempVW/view=tempVW;
  input v1....
run;
proc sql;
  create table tempFiltered as
  select v1,v2,.... from tempVW
  where .....
  ;
quit;

I see the Data step INPUT statement as a very powerful preprocessor for SAS
SQL. The INPUT methods for system files span the major platforms. The
SAS/ACCESS engines for RDBMS's combine with the INPUT features to make SAS
SQL far more versatile than other SQL dialects.
Sig
Because I have a SQL codes provided for SQL server to read such data. I
couldn't find any example that proc sql can read raw data from a file. Thank
you for your answer. Andrew
0
HERMANS1 (2684)
8/30/2004 2:31:21 PM
Could you perhaps construct some macro statements in the from statement to
achieve the same result of a separate datastep to read the data? You can of
course use the *connection to* syntax although that is only for data
already in another DBMS, ie not necessarily raw text,

HTH.

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:31:21 -0400, Sigurd Hermansen <HERMANS1@WESTAT.COM>
wrote:

>Andrew:
>Paul has answered your question. I would add that you can use a Data step
>view to stream data through a SAS SQL WHERE clause. In a quick sketch,
>data tempVW/view=tempVW;
>  input v1....
>run;
>proc sql;
>  create table tempFiltered as
>  select v1,v2,.... from tempVW
>  where .....
>  ;
>quit;
>
>I see the Data step INPUT statement as a very powerful preprocessor for SAS
>SQL. The INPUT methods for system files span the major platforms. The
>SAS/ACCESS engines for RDBMS's combine with the INPUT features to make SAS
>SQL far more versatile than other SQL dialects.
>Sig

0
ben.powell1 (971)

Newbie
Hello, I need to extract all HTML from a text file of HTML that I used HTML::LWP on... getstore ('http://scoreboards.canoe.ca/default.asp?c=canoe&page=soc-eng/ stand/standing.htm', 'results.txt') or die 'Page Not Found'; I want to use this code use HTML::Parse; use HTML::FormatText; my($plain_text) = 'results.txt' $plain_text = HTML::FormatText->new->format(parse_html($html_text)); but everytime I check the text file I still see no changes. Appreciate any help whatsoever AMT2K5 wrote: > Hello, I need to extract all HTML from a text file of H...

Can any body tell where I can download COBOL compiler?
Can any body tell where I can download COBOL compiler. I want to compile some COBOL programs on my PC. Hi Ananda. If you check out the COBOL FAQ @ http://www.cobolreport.com/faqs/cobolfaq.htm , it provides details of where you can obtain COBOL compilers. Simon. Ananda Rao wrote: > Can any body tell where I can download COBOL compiler. I want to > compile some COBOL programs on my PC. There is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) posted in the comp.lang.cobol group on google. As this is frequently asked the replies are all there rather than being repeated to each person that ask...

[News] Poor Windows Can't Do Online Banking, GNU/Linux Sure Can

hands-on SQL test unusual for interviews?
We've been interviewing job candidates today. I put people in front of a keyboard, give them a table name and ask them to get info out of that table in various ways, testing basic SQL skills. Most of them have been surprised, and said they've never seen this done before. Is it really so unusual? I don't know how else to get a reasonable measure of a person's skill. Resume experience doesn't always translate the way I think it would. "Bruce Lewis" <brlspam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:nm9hdyio2su.fsf@biohazard-cafe.mit.edu... > We've...

Eclipse can create jar everytime I save?
Hi, Is it possible with eclipse 3 (or with a plugin) to create automatically a jar file everytime I save a class. So everytime it will rebuild the .class files it will recreate the .jar file. Thank you Alessandro Rossi Hi, aleicaro@libero.it wrote: > Hi, > Is it possible with eclipse 3 (or with a plugin) to create > automatically a jar file everytime I save a class. So everytime it will > rebuild the .class files it will recreate the .jar file. > > Thank you > Alessandro Rossi Yes: When you save a class, it will automatically be compiled by Eclipse (if you have sele...

SQL convert number into the date
I have a field in a table. This field is ar2.wbzdatum and is of type number. For example 90812. I want to convert this field in date format. the result must be the date 09.08.12. how can I make my SQL statement. What function I have to use. I have written so. SELECT Date(ar2.wbzdatum) as test this ist not correct. Thank you --14dae9340747bd214804cf784814 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 There is no direct conversion or cast from a string containing MMDDYY to a date or datetime type because you do not have a leading zero for dates with a month number less than 10. Th...

US-TX-Round Rock: Bus. Reporting Analyst: SAS,SQL,Access,Excel, graphical exp,3M (45351057606)
US-TX-Round Rock: Bus. Reporting Analyst: SAS,SQL,Access,Excel, graphical exp,3M (45351057606) ============================================================================================== Position: Business Reporting Analyst Reference: ZYD00001 Location: Round Rock TX Duration: 3M Skills: strong background in SAS, SQL and Access. detailed-oriented Exp. putting together graphical executive summary presentations. Ability to represent numbers and analytics in graphical format. ...

How can i save automatically the command window ?
Hi Do you know how can i save automatically the results after training in the Command window? I want to save all of the process(results) at the Command window during/after training. Ie there any fucntion or command key? It looks easy but i can't find. If you know it, please let me know. Thank you. JK wrote: > > > Hi > > Do you know how can i save automatically the results after training > in the Command window? > > I want to save all of the process(results) at the Command window > during/after training. > > Ie there any fucntion or command key? > ...

Can series of uploads be automated?
Would like to send separate messages on consecutive days to a single email address. Instead of logging in each day, would it be possible to load the three at one time and designate the delivery time and date? piedtype@gmail.com wrote: > > Would like to send separate messages on consecutive days to a single > email address. Instead of logging in each day, would it be possible to > load the three at one time and designate the delivery time and date? Yes. Schedulers and command-line email clients are available for most relevant operating systems. Thor -- http://www.anta.net/O...

can't upload file to $_FILES
I'm trying to figure out why I can't upload a file in php. I'm trying it locally on a windows XP machine running Apache 2.2 and PHP 5.2.1. That is I am running the browser/server on same machine to test with. I also tried it on a remote linux server, though in that case I'm not sure what the s config settings where, except that it does have PHP and I get the same results. Are there any releevant apache settings ? I have not come accross any. Below is my script, results, and config settings. =------------------------------------------------------ <html> <body>...

Can ctrl-c throw an exception?
Can I set things up so that if I hit ctrl-c while a program is running, then a catch block will be run before of a hard termination of the script? Thanks. Why not give it a try? function [] = ctrlcthrow % Call the function, then hit ctrl+c. cnt = 1; try while true cnt = cnt +1; end catch disp('Error caught') end "klydefrog" <aj00mcgraw@gmail.com> wrote in message news:18909815.1237217764250.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org... > Can I set things up so that if I hit ctrl-c while a program is running, > then a catch block...

SQL Loader: Selective Import query.
Hi I am planning to use SQL Loader to import data present in csv files to Oracle 9i db. I have a few questions regarding SQL Loader. 1. Can i load selective columns from the csv file. i.e. csv format is something like this 4/27/1998,506,23,M508 RCW,TESCO,,,,,295/80R22.5,295/80R22.5 out of which i just want to load 2nd and 4th column to a particular table. Is it possible? Or should the input file contain only the required columns to be imported? Also for such cases of selective import would External Tables be a better choice? Thanks in advance. Punit. punitparikh@gma...

Can I Import Multiple Files?
If some1 can please inform, I am wondering if in either Pine or Alpine, or even NANO, if I can import multiple file in to a current message? I think control+l only accepts 1 name? Thanks so much in advance Hart On Thu, 2 May 2013, Hart Larry wrote: > If some1 can please inform, I am wondering if in either Pine or Alpine, or > even NANO, if I can import multiple file in to a current message? I think > control+l only accepts 1 name? > Thanks so much in advance > Hart > Are you talking about reading in files, or attaching files to email? If it's just ...

Can I play LOTRO?
If I download the 5.6Gb high res. client can I play it in UK even tho free trial is not for Europe? Alan "Rand Al'Thor" <randalthor@wheeloftime.ie> wrote in message news:heS7k.61057$iv3.34154@newsfe14.ams2... > If I download the 5.6Gb high res. client can I play it in UK even tho free > trial is not for Europe? > > Alan > Is there a smaller client you can DL first? Might be worth a try. :-) Depending on how complicated you want to get, you might be able to work it all out through a proxy in the US if it won't let you play from the UK. &quo...

Track Changes in Rich Text Editor
Hi, Does anyone have any experience with any JS library that provides a rich text editor? I am particularly interested in the MS-word like feature of tracking changes. Simple features like strikethrough in case of delete and underline in case of added text would be sufficient. Has anyone extended the FCK Editor/Tiny MCE editor for this purpose? Any suggestions on how to go about implementing this feature will be very useful. Thanks, Yash yashgt@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone have any experience with any JS library that provides a > rich text editor? I am particularly ...

Re: proc logistic, #4
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 11:27:40 +0200, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thomas_Fr=F6jd?= <thomas.frojd@NEURO.UU.SE> wrote: >I am using proc logistic to fit a model. One of the class variables has >an outcome that gets an estimate of 1.1623 with 0.3095 as standard >error, the Wald chi-square is 14.1017 for a P-value of 0.0002 . The 95 % >Wald confidence interval is 0.5557 to 1.7690 I deem it therefore >significant. > >However when looking at the result translated to odds ratio the estimate >is 1.733 and the 95 % confidence inteval is 0.740 to 4.056. The Odds >ratio of 1 is here incl...

US: Programmer/Analyst, Schema/data modeling, w/Business Objects, VB, NSK SQL, o (45292532404)
US: Programmer/Analyst, Schema/data modeling, w/Business Objects, VB, NSK SQL, o (45292532404) ============================================================================================== Position: Programmer/Analyst Reference: SMC01129 Location: Duration: Skills: Functional and technical experience working with relevant software, schema and data modeling, as well as programming languages to include one or more of the following: Business Objects, VB, NSK SQL, C with Health Care data warehouse and decision supp...

RWC agenda file
Has anybody put the Rugby WC fixtures in an agenda file yet? ...

TclTest and Sublime Text 2
Recently I've been using the Sublime Text 2 editor, and I've got it set up = to run my TclTest test files from within the editor. I'm mostly developing= on Windows these days, and on Windows it works great. I tried it on OS X = today, and none of the test results were visible in the ST2 build pane. After investigation, I noticed that it depends on whether the test script d= oes a [package require Tk] or not. If it does, then the TclTest commands a= ppear to lose the ability to produce output that ST2 can capture. If it do= esn't, everything works fine. =20 Anyo...

Can you help save my mariage? Monitor question
Please help, my wife is insistent taht I get rid of my 21 inch IBM P201 and buy a flat screen monitor. I am in the Uk but the makes should be the same, I need a 17 inch tft that I can still work on my photographs with. Please give advice. Gary >From: "Gary" gary.sandy@btinternet.com >Please help, my wife is insistent taht I get rid of my 21 inch IBM P201 and >buy a flat screen monitor. I am in the Uk but the makes should be the same, >I need a 17 inch tft that I can still work on my photographs with. Please >give advice. It might be cheaper in the long run t...

How can I measure the network load ?
Hi I am looking for a tool allowing to get periodically the network load of some machines on a local area network (Linux and Solaris 8), and the amount of information between clients and servers of my distributed application. The aim is to gather enough information to optimize the distribution of my processes over the network, to know which clients/servers are the most bandwith consuming in runtime conditons, and so on ... I tried netstat, but this does not give me full satisfaction, and the result is different on Linux and Solaris. Thanks for any advice ! Nicolas > I am looking for ...

Can Sendmail merge delivery attempts?
Assuming Sendmail is configured to re-try delivery every 30 minutes, if one message is in the queue for a given destination MX, I would expect there to be one TCP connection to that destination's port 25 every 30 minutes. But if there is more than one message, what is supposed to happen? I would have expected a mail server to be smart enough to still try only once every 30 minutes, but once delivery can be accomplished, it would then try to deliver everything pending in the queue for that destination. What I am instead seeing is that in a scenario with 15 messages in the queue, it is ma...

US-TX-Austin: Database Admin,MS Systems Admin., SQL Server Admin, Veritas; DH (45326132410)
US-TX-Austin: Database Admin,MS Systems Admin., SQL Server Admin, Veritas; DH (45326132410) =========================================================================================== Position: Database Admin Reference: SMC01707 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: 2+yrs Microsoft system administration in a production environment. 2+yrs SQL Server database administration and support experience in a production environment. Knowledge of Database monitoring, Index optimization ...

XF86config file wanted for Toshiba A45
Does anyone run Linux/KDE on a Toshiba A45-S151? Do you have a XF86Config file you might share that does not cause screen flutter? From the docs I can't figure out what driver I have, what the sync rates are. This is a brand new machine and the docs are terrible. I'll never buy anohter Toshiba agian. I'll stick with IBM. If you an X file maybe you'd post part of it here so I can see the scree monitor/device settings that are optimal? Thanks, Al ...

Pg_dump : Can I specify the Password ?
Hello, I'm doing automated database dump and want to be able to specify Username and Passowrd in my shell script for pg_dump. When I do man pg_dump there are no options for password. There is -U username to specify username which actually doesn't work for me, I still get prompted for username, but there is nothing to specify password. Is there anyway of going around this? I need to automate everything and forego prompting. Thanks in advance. N.K. ...