coding style guide?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Does anyone have a nice programer's coding style guide I could call my
own. You know, indents, capitals, mixed case, mixed nuts, assorted?

I don't like the all little characters in the SAS manuals.
0
Reply Obomonomical 9/21/2010 10:41:31 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Sep 21, 5:41=A0pm, Obomonomical <davidmwrig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a nice programer's coding style guide I could call my
> own. You know, indents, capitals, mixed case, mixed nuts, assorted?
>
> I don't like the all little characters in the SAS manuals.

Folks have written papers about this with lots of rules about
placement of statements, (executable vs information), indentation and
the rest.  The problem is they usually don't know enough SAS to
understand when the rules don't work.  I find them mostly useless.

To me if you indent consistantly with a format that "somehow" reveals
the structure of the program or data step then it's all good.  I can't
define it but I know it when I see it.

What do you mean by your last statement?  "I don't like all the little
characters..."

0
Reply data 9/22/2010 1:41:42 PM

On Sep 21, 5:41=A0pm, Obomonomical <davidmwrig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a nice programer's coding style guide I could call my
> own. You know, indents, capitals, mixed case, mixed nuts, assorted?
>
> I don't like the all little characters in the SAS manuals.

I agree with data _null_.  Define your own, and use it consistently.
Many editors will assist.
0
Reply SD_Data_Dude 9/22/2010 3:34:12 PM
comp.soft-sys.sas 130337 articles. 22 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

VHDL Coding Style Guide
Hello, A (new) draft of my (old) VHDL Coding Rules is available at : http://www.alse-fr.com/archive/VHDL_Coding_eng.pdf "Power users" may have adopted different rules, or would discard some. You can send feedback at "info" at the website above. Best regards, Bert Cuzeau Hi Bert, Your coding style is nice but I have few questions... C_13) RTL : In the process above, every signal assigned inside "rising_edge" must be initialized in "if Rst". Not necesarily . Suppose I have a FIFO wtih depth of 8 , then its enough to Reset the first sequent...

[9fans] Style guide for clean code
Hello again all! Does Plan9 offer a style guide similar to the kernel normal form found in the BSD operating systems; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_Normal_Form? Since Plan9 people dislike GNU and BSD because their code is bloated, and like themselves because their code isn't, I was wondering if they had a structured approach to their simplicity. Also, maybe a few paragraphs on the disadvantages of bloated code similar to http://www.wmii.de? Thanks a lot, Kyrre On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 09:46:28AM +0200, Kyrre Nyg?rd wrote: > Does Plan9 offer a style guide similar to ...

The Sense of Coding Guidelines or Programming Style Guides?
Hi, within our department we suggest to use coding guidelines for the implementation of testware. There is an infinite discussion about whether coding guidelines are needed or not and what there contents should be. For example, the coding guidelines regulate the naming of variable names. Advocates of such rules say that this is absolutely needed. Objectors would prefer to do the coding completely to their own taste. They come up with the opinion that programming is an art in which the programmer should have the freedom to do whatever she likes. What are your opinions? Are there any reference...

Writing code for wx vs "wxWidgets Programmer Style Guide"
If I write code that will be a part of wxWidgets library, but the code breaks General C++ Rules (http://www.wxwidgets.org/develop/standard.htm), especially: 1. Don't use C++ Templates .... 5. Don't use STL the code could be a part of wxWidgets in future? On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:06:20 +0100 Dominik Tyniw <dominik.tyniw@gazeta.pl> wrote: DT> If I write code that will be a part of wxWidgets library, but the code DT> breaks General C++ Rules (http://www.wxwidgets.org/develop/standard.htm), DT> especially: DT> DT> 1. Don'...

general coding issues
Hi all, since I'm just a 'handicraft'/beginner or so, could anybody provide me with some (rough) hints, about how to enhance the code here: http://calmar.ws/tmp/cal.html Cheers and thanks a lot calmar -- calmar (o_ It rocks: LINUX + Command-Line-Interface //\ V_/_ http://www.calmar.ws calmar schrieb: > Hi all, > > since I'm just a 'handicraft'/beginner or so, > > could anybody provide me with some (rough) hints, about how to enhance the code > here: - why are these {{{ thingies there? ...

Can this code be cleaned up? / Good coding style ?
Dear developers, I am used to Mathematica, but have got a new job which uses Matlab, so I am now re-writing my scripts to Matlab. Can someone look at these 2 scripts and tell me what I should do different, so they utilize Matlab manners ? Lots of love, Louise %----- script1-------------------------------------------------------------- tic % parameters perturb = 10e-3; dist = 10e-3; delta = 0.2; % or 0.0 delta_omega = 0.008; delta_epsilon = 0.0010; [Omega, Epsilon] = meshgrid(0:delta_omega:2.0 , 0:delta_epsilon:0.25); f = @(t,x) [x(2); -x(3)^2*(1+x(4)*cos(t))*x(1) - delta*x(2); 0; 0]; colo...

good style guides for python-style documentation ?
(reposted from doc-sig, which seems to be mostly dead these days). over at the pytut wiki, "carndt" asked: Are there any guidelines about conventions concerning punctuation, text styles and language style (e.g. how to address the reader)? any suggestions from this list ? </F> > (reposted from doc-sig, which seems to be mostly dead > these days). > > over at the pytut wiki, "carndt" asked: > > Are there any guidelines about conventions concerning > punctuation, text styles and language style (e.g. how > to addre...

Style Guide?
Quick question. Is there a official or unofficial Ruby Style Guide floating around anywhere? Thanks. James Edward Gray II James Edward Gray II wrote: > Quick question. Is there a official or unofficial Ruby Style Guide > floating around anywhere? Thanks. http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyStyleGuide Note that this page has a mix of advice for source code formatting (e.g., "use CamelCase") and development techniques (e.g., "Chop input."). But handy either way. James On Thu 26 Aug 2004 at 05:01:38 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote: > Quick que...

Coding Style
This is more a style question, so I know it's subjective (I hope I don't start a religious war!), but I'm also interested to know if there is a trend. I've noticed that a lot of C++ code shuns lower case and basically tries to keep variables and functions with as short a name as possible (or at least one that's easy to type). Functions might be like this: getval() ldcfg() But I've also noticed some code that uses underscores between words: get_val() ld_cfg() And here's the part I'm curious about. It seems to me that more recent code seems to have the Java...