Dictionary problem with Parallel processing

Dear Folks,

I am facing strange problem, my environment is Sun Solaris, SAS 9.1.3.

Situation:

I want to create summary report for the libraries about no of obs,
when was the data set created and library name etc.

One main job started to run which in turn creates around 30 to 50
parallel jobs in which I have to create summary report specifically
for two libraries for all those parallel jobs.

 I have used dictionary. tables and dictionary. members to get the
report created but every now and then I am getting an error saying the
=93Lock was not available for the dataset and held by some process=94.

Solution in Mind:

Is this can be avoid if I use sashelp.vtable and sashelp.vslib? Since
as far as I know the dictionaries will open the libraries to get the
above said key things but these sashelp views can be other way around
to avoid these issue?

I need your expert=92s advice on this to resolve this issue.

Regards,
Vijay

Re: Dictionary problem with Parallel processing
> From: vijayakumar > > I am facing strange problem, my environment is Sun Solaris, SAS 9.1.3. > > Situation: > > I want to create summary report for the libraries about no of obs, > when was the data set created and library name etc. > > One main job started to run which in turn creates around 30 to 50 > parallel jobs in which I have to create summary report specifically > for two libraries for all those parallel jobs. > > I have used dictionary. tables and dictionary. members to get the > report created but every now and then I am getting an erro...

Re: Dictionary problem with Parallel processing #2
Vijay, I doubt if a view of a DICTIONARY file can do any better than the DICTIONARY file since the view executes the underlying DICTIONARY file. There are probably more sophisticated methods involving the underlying operating system to know when each job is finished. However, you might use the EXIST function to loop through the required data sets until all data sets exist. Ian Whitlock ================ vijayakumar <vijayk.kannan@GMAIL.COM> wrote: Dear Folks, I am facing strange problem, my environment is Sun Solaris, SAS 9.1.3. Situation: I want to create summary report for t...

SAS Parallel processing
Hi, I am relatively new to SAS parallel processing scene and trying to work on the following piece of code using SAS 9 on a PC. The remote server has 4 processors and this is a UNIX based server. On my PC windows based SAS, I execute the following code after connecting to the remote server. options autosignon=yes ; rsubmit; /* Begin simulation */ options symbolgen ls=96; options sascmd='!sascmd -nosyntaxcheck' autosignon=yes cpucount=ACTUAL; %macro StatsModel(startLoop=, endLoop=, inputfn=,nsims=); filename params "/data/&inputfn"; data parameters; infile par...

Parallel Processing in SAS
I've heard that there are opportunties to do some parallel processing if your server has multiple CPUs. We have 4 CPUs running on windows 2003 SP1. Anyone have any insight or articles about Parallel processing? I heard only a few procs can actually utilize and take advantage of parallel processing, but wasn't sure. Any insight is appreciated! Jer wrote: > I've heard that there are opportunties to do some parallel processing if > your server has multiple CPUs. I think there are also opportunities for parallel processing with single CPU machines that support threading; on...

SAS/Warehouse Administrator Problem?? or SAS/ACCESS problem??
hello, I've built a process in SAS/Warehouse Administrator, where i'm trying to extract distinct cities from the 3 tables(source schema) in Oracle into a new table (target schema) called CITY and again into UniqueCity (target schema) bcos of some redundancy. The process looks like this. Unique City | | mapping | | CITY ...

Faster SAS processing --in parallel?--
Hi - I'm rather *new* in SAS-land so please humor my lacking "SAS-code lingo" I've got a HUGE piece of SAS code that I've written for work...and I'm trying to clean it up to get it to run faster. I was *thinking*: In SQL, you can run a "SET CURRENT DEGREE=ANY" to utilize parallelism in a DB2 server and allow up to 64 instructions to be run at the same time. I typically only get 20-30 degrees of parallelism each time, but it cuts a 20-30 minute SQL query to 1 min or less... Now, with my SQL example in mind, Is there some kind of SAS command to run differ...

Re: SAS Parallel processing
Ram, if (for obvious reasons since you are rsubmitting code) you can not give us ready-to-run code then at least show us the error messages you get. Kind regards Robert > -----Urspruengliche Nachricht----- > Von Ram > Gesendet: Dienstag, 31. Juli 2007 02:51 > > Hi, > > I am relatively new to SAS parallel processing scene and trying to > work on the following piece of code using SAS 9 on a PC. The remote > server has 4 processors and this is a UNIX based server. On my PC > windows based SAS, I execute the following code after connecting to > the remote serve...

Re: SAS/Warehouse Administrator Problem?? or SAS/ACCESS problem??
I'm pretty sure that behind the scenes SAS/Warehouse Administrator is generating and running SQL code. If you can expose that code and post it here it might help. On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:53:41 -0700, saivs28@GMAIL.COM wrote: >hello, > >I've built a process in SAS/Warehouse Administrator, where i'm trying >to extract distinct cities from the 3 tables(source schema) in Oracle >into a new table (target schema) called CITY and again into UniqueCity >(target schema) bcos of some redundancy. The process looks like this. > > Unique ...

Unusual SAS processing Problem
Dear All, I am using proc Glimmix for my models. Recently the problem I am facing is like 1) even if I see that convergence criterion is satisfied machine takes 1 hr 52 mins to give the output. 2) I have tried various options but always the same result. 3) I have had run the same model before & it took few seconds to process the results. 4) I have deleted all the files in SAS TEMP folder still the result is same. I have adequate space (20 GB free) & 1 GB memory to process data. I will appreciate if someone can point where to look at in this situation. Regards Sudip On Apr 2...

SAS/Warehouse Administrator Problem?? or SAS/ACCESS problem?? #2
hello, I've built a process in SAS/Warehouse Administrator, where i'm trying to extract distinct cities from the 3 tables(source schema) in Oracle into a new table (target schema) called CITY and again into UniqueCity (target schema) bcos of some redundancy. The process looks like this. Unique City | | mapping | | CITY ...

Re: Parallel Processing in SAS
Jer wrote: > I've heard that there are opportunties to do some parallel processing if > your server has multiple CPUs. I think there are also opportunities for parallel processing with single CPU machines that support threading; one tread can execute while another is waiting for I/O to complete, for example. > We have 4 CPUs running on windows 2003 SP1. > > Anyone have any insight or articles about Parallel processing? You might look through the SAS web site; there have been several SUGI papers about parallel processing, and probably some SASGloF papers as well. > I h...

SAS parallel processing #2
I'm lucky enough to have access to SAS 9.3 on an Intel Xeon X5570 with 8 cores (at least there are 8 cpu-usage boxes in task manager). I'm using this mostly for running statistical simulations. I generate 1000 datasets and then run my macro on each of them and store the results. The macro is an alternating sequence of DATA and PROC LIFEREG steps. One thing I noticed that if I batch submit a job to process all 1000 datasets sequentially, and I open up the task manager I see the CPU usage is steady around 15%. All 8 cores have some activity, so I assume that SAS is automatically dis...

Re: SAS/Warehouse Administrator Problem?? or SAS/ACCESS problem?? #2
What's the question? I know it you presented it earlier, but you can't expect people to find the pieces of a problem and put them together. Look at the various intermediate results and find the point where they first diverge from what is expected. Then look at the code which generates that particular result. De-macroize that code and prepare some test data so that anybody can run it easily. Then present that isolated version of the problem (if the answer has not already emerged during this process). On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:19:35 -0700, saivs28@GMAIL.COM wrote: >The following code ...

Re: Faster SAS processing --in parallel?--
Dear SAS-L-ers, Rick posted the following interesting question: > I'm rather *new* in SAS-land so please humor my lacking > "SAS-code lingo" > > I've got a HUGE piece of SAS code that I've written for > work...and I'm trying to clean it up to get it to run faster. > I was *thinking*: > > In SQL, you can run a "SET CURRENT DEGREE=ANY" to utilize > parallelism in a DB2 server and allow up to 64 instructions > to be run at the same time. I typically only get 20-30 > degrees of parallelism each time, but it cuts a 20-30 minute ...

Web resources about - Dictionary problem with Parallel processing - comp.soft-sys.sas

Dictionary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to Nielsen (2008) a dictionary may be regarded as a lexicographical product that is characterised by three significant features: (1) ...

Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus goes 7.0 with interface improvements
In September, Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus was updated to version 6.0 with a significant redesign that introduced a fresh look and feel ...

Price Drop: Textkraft with German Dictionary
Textkraft with German Dictionary 3.1.3 Device: iOS iPad Only Category: Productivity Price: Free, Version: 3.1.3 ( iTunes ) Description: Das ...

'Rabid Feminist' and Other Sexist Sentences Should Be Excluded From the Oxford Dictionary ASAP
It's a source that's meant to inform and educate but the Oxford English Dictionary recently came under fire for being sexist. Michael Oman-Reagan, ...

'Identity' is Dictionary.com's word of the year - CNN.com
Race, sexuality and gender are the live-wire topics that inspired Dictionary.com to pick "identity" as its word of the year for 2015.

The Dictionary Of The Modern Campus Activist
Demisexual? Sapiosexual? Know the difference!

Inventec, Kingsoft cooperate to compile cross-strait dictionary
Inventec has cooperated with China-based software developer Kingsoft to compile a dictionary which contrasts about 110,000 terms used in daily ...

Jimmy Fallon, Nathan Lane play 'Kid Dictionary' on 'The Tonight Show' - EW.com
Jimmy Fallon, Nathan Lane play 'Kid Dictionary' on 'The Tonight Show' - EW.

But That Isn't A Word: Oxford Dictionary Chooses The Face With Tears Of Joy Emoji As Word Of The Year ...
Because even dictionary companies want to feel edgy from time to time, Oxford Dictionaries has announced the 'face with tears of joy' emoji is ...

An Online Dictionary Plans to Catalog a Million Emerging English Words
With viral memes and hashtags sweeping the internet on the daily, language is evolving faster than conventional dictionaries can keep up. You ...