Disabling SAS warnings

Hi all,

There is a macro I use that creates a long string which very often will
trigger a warning message (see below).  In fact, the macro creates a string
that contains a linear equation to be fed into a procedure. Often the length
of the string that contains the equation exceeds 262 characters.  Thus I
know that this warning is useless in that case.  However, it would be
preferable to have clean logs.  Is there a way to deactivate that message
just for the time that the macro is called?

Thanks,

Dominic.

WARNING: The quoted string currently being processed has become more than
262 characters long.  You may have unbalanced
         quotation marks.
0
mitchell.d (36)

options noquotelenmax;

Dominic Mitchell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There is a macro I use that creates a long string which very often will
> trigger a warning message (see below).  In fact, the macro creates a string
> that contains a linear equation to be fed into a procedure. Often the length
> of the string that contains the equation exceeds 262 characters.  Thus I
> know that this warning is useless in that case.  However, it would be
> preferable to have clean logs.  Is there a way to deactivate that message
> just for the time that the macro is called?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dominic.
>

> WARNING: The quoted string currently being processed has become more than
> 262 characters long.  You may have unbalanced
>          quotation marks.

or options nosource and nosource2

Toby Dunn

From: charles <ylchen9999@GMAIL.COM>
To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Disabling SAS warnings
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:44:34 -0800

options noquotelenmax;

Dominic Mitchell wrote:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > There is a macro I use that creates a long string which very often will
 > trigger a warning message (see below).  In fact, the macro creates a
string
 > that contains a linear equation to be fed into a procedure. Often the
length
 > of the string that contains the equation exceeds 262 characters.  Thus I
 > know that this warning is useless in that case.  However, it would be
 > preferable to have clean logs.  Is there a way to deactivate that message
 > just for the time that the macro is called?
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Dominic.
 >

 > WARNING: The quoted string currently being processed has become more than
 > 262 characters long.  You may have unbalanced
 >          quotation marks.
0
tobydunn (6020)
1/23/2006 3:47:08 PM
While you could use the options suggested I would consider trying to
avoid the problem.  Assuming you can make changes to the offending
macro.  Consider, running the following program to see examples where
the quoted string message can be avoided.

options noovp;

%let A=%sysfunc(repeat(%str(this is a really long string ),10));
%macro test1(b=);
   %if "&b" eq "" /* undesired message */
      %then %put NOTE: B is blank;
      %else %put NOTE: Length of B=%length(&B);
   %mend;

%test1(b=&a);

%macro test2(b=);
   %if %superq(b) eq /* no bad message */
      %then %put NOTE: B is blank;
      %else %put NOTE: Length of B=%length(&B);
   %mend;

%test2(b=&a);

data _null_;
   retain a "&a";  /* undesired message */
   run;

data _null_;
   length a1-a2 $%length(&a); /* no bad message */
   retain a1-a2;
   if _n_ eq 1 then do;
      a1 = symget('A');    /* when simple is good */
      a2 = resolve('&A');  /* when more complex is required */
      end;
   put (_all_) (/=);
   run;

0