Faster SAS processing --in parallel?--

Hi -

I'm rather *new* in SAS-land so please humor my lacking "SAS-code
lingo"

I've got a HUGE piece of SAS code that I've written for work...and I'm
trying to clean it up to get it to run faster. I was *thinking*:

In SQL, you can run a "SET CURRENT DEGREE=ANY" to utilize parallelism
in a DB2 server and allow up to 64 instructions to be run at the same
time. I typically only get 20-30 degrees of parallelism each time, but
it cuts a 20-30 minute SQL query to 1 min or less...

Now, with my SQL example in mind, Is there some kind of SAS command to
run different DATA steps (on different tables) in parallel (ie.
utilizing more of the CPU) rather than in sequence?

Thanks,

-Rick
0
rcjohnso (3)

Rick wrote:
>(...) Is there some kind of SAS command to
> run different DATA steps (on different tables) in parallel (ie.
> utilizing more of the CPU) rather than in sequence?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Rick

Yes, but you should to use a SAS\CONNECT module. Check in "SAS OnLine
DOC" for SAS/CONNECT rsubmit statement (wait option and waitfor statement).
If you want to use a paralell where evaluation on you can use a SAS\SPDS
engine.

KrzysOPoranku