MS Access DDE Selectively Quotes Strings

I'm using dynamic data exchange (DDE) to read text strings from a Microsoft
Access database into SAS. If (and only if) Access sees a quotation mark in
any text value, it quotes the value and doubles the original quotation
marks.

For example,

   A "funny" result

becomes

   "A ""funny"" result"

I know it's happening on the Access side because I've dumped the _INFILE_
variable and I see the extra quotation marks.

I'd like to find a way to inhibit MS Access from doing this.

Next best would be a simple way to have SAS undo it, like a $QUOTE informat
or an UNQUOTE function (neither of which seems to exist).

Last resort will be to use SUBSTR, TRANWRD, and so forth to undo it. I know
how to do that. I'd just prefer to avoid it.

Howard,

The following seems to work (Plan B):

DATA _NULL_;
LENGTH Original Revised $ 30;
INPUT Original & ;
Revised = INPUT(Original,$QUOTE30.);
PUT Original= / Revised= // ;
CARDS;
"A ""funny"" result"
A not-so-funny result
RUN;

Seems like the informat ought to be called $UNQUOTE not $QUOTE, but greater
minds than ours ...

Mike Rhoads
Westat
RhoadsM1@Westat.com

I'm using dynamic data exchange (DDE) to read text strings from a Microsoft
Access database into SAS. If (and only if) Access sees a quotation mark in
any text value, it quotes the value and doubles the original quotation
marks.

For example,

   A "funny" result

becomes

   "A ""funny"" result"

I know it's happening on the Access side because I've dumped the _INFILE_
variable and I see the extra quotation marks.

I'd like to find a way to inhibit MS Access from doing this.

Next best would be a simple way to have SAS undo it, like a $QUOTE informat
or an UNQUOTE function (neither of which seems to exist).

Last resort will be to use SUBSTR, TRANWRD, and so forth to undo it. I know
how to do that. I'd just prefer to avoid it.
0
RHOADSM1 (792)

Re: MS Access DDE Selectively Quotes Strings
Howard, The following seems to work (Plan B): DATA _NULL_; LENGTH Original Revised $ 30; INPUT Original & ; Revised = INPUT(Original,$QUOTE30.); PUT Original= / Revised= // ; CARDS; "A ""funny"" result" A not-so-funny result RUN; Seems like the informat ought to be called $UNQUOTE not $QUOTE, but greater minds than ours ... Mike Rhoads Westat RhoadsM1@Westat.com -----Original Message----- From: Howard Schreier [mailto:Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV] Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 3:17 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: MS Access DDE Selectively Quotes S...

Re: MS Access DDE Selectively Quotes Strings #2
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:16:41 -0500, Howard Schreier <Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV> wrote: >I'm using dynamic data exchange (DDE) to read text strings from a Microsoft >Access database into SAS. If (and only if) Access sees a quotation mark in >any text value, it quotes the value and doubles the original quotation >marks. > >For example, > > A "funny" result > >becomes > > "A ""funny"" result" > >I know it's happening on the Access side because I've dumped the _INFILE_ >variable and I see ...

Re: MS Access DDE Selectively Quotes Strings #3
Thanks Mike. That works. Of course I'll use the informat right in the INPUT statement, like INPUT Original & $QUOTE30. ; My statement about existence of the $QUOTE informat was incorrect. I had even looked at that page in the online doc. I guess I dismissed it because it does not say that it would undouble the interior quotation marks. On the other hand, it doesn't say that it wouldn't, and I should know by now that in a situation like that an experiment is warranted. Unfortunately, I'm still not clear of difficulties. My values have embedded newlines, and it turns ou...

Too few parameters expected 2 error occurs after migrating "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server"
Hello all I get Too few parameters expected 2 error and "The MS Jet Database engine cannot find the input table or query "myTempTablename". Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly. 3078" after I migrated "MS Access 2000" to "MS SQL Server 2000" and relinked all linked tables. The front-end interface of my application is MS Access 2000. The back-end is MS SQL Server 2000. After I migrated the database and relinked all linked tables, "Too few parameters expected 2" and "input table or query "myTempTablename" 30...

Is "String s = "abc";" equal to "String s = new String("abc");"?
In my opinion,"String s = "abc";" has only created a reference s not a object."String s= new String("abc");" has created a new object and its reference is s.Is it right?If I'm right,I still have a question.When I can use first one not need the second one? Bruce Sam wrote: > In my opinion,"String s = "abc";" has only created a reference s not a > object."String s= new String("abc");" has created a new object and its > reference is s.Is it right? Not really. Both declare a reference, and while the fi...

"string" -> "STRING" ?
Hi, I've been looking for a SysRPL command that converts lowercase letters in a string to capital ones (for case-insensitive searching). I've looked in various documents, with no luck. I've also tried looking with Nosy, but didn't find what I was looking for (found an easter egg, though :D ). So...anybody know of such a command? Obviously, it would be trivial to write a program that does this, but if one's already built in, then there's no reason to. Thanks, Bob BobLogan wrote: > Hi, > > I've been looking for a SysRPL command that converts lowercase ...

Attaching to MySQL tables from MS Access
Is an apostrophe a character of special significance to MySQL in a way that would cause "Bob's dog" to become translated into a 12-character string when typed into a MySQL memo field? If I type Bob's dog into an Access memo field, I get a string that is 9-characters long. When I read "Bob's dog" from a memo field in a MySQL table attacted to MS Access via MyODBC driver, it displays as "Bob&#39s dog" - a twelve character string. the &#39 looks like a HEX character code value designator. Can someone provide me with a logical explanation of why I...

"a string".xor("another string")
I want to do an XOR of two strings: "a string".xor("another string") It's not that hard to implement, but it's not fast either, since it walks through the data string, byte-by-byte. Any ideas? For example: "It's memory-hungry!". Any solutions? gegroet, Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/ ---------------------------------------------------------------- class String def xor(other) if other.empty? self else a1 = self.unpack("c*") a2 = other.unpack("c*") a2 *= 2 while a...

Why is "select distinct" faster than "select" ?

Writing a "String#jindex" method to do the same for "index" as "String#jlength" does for "length"
So I've been using the 'jcode' library to get UTF-8 support and wanted to add a convenience method called "jindex" that would work with multi- byte characters in much the same way that "jlength" does. The basic idea is to call the real "index" method to do the work, and then convert the returned byte-count index into a character-count index before returning it to the user. This works fine, but the problem is that I can't find a way to propagate $~ back to the user. That is, after calling this: 'foo'.index /foo/ $~ is set and $~[0] is &q...

Access windows applications from AIX SAS "X" Command and "Call Module"
Hi, I have SAS 9.2 installed (Pretty much all licenses) on AIX server and EG 4.= 2 on my PC. I am working on series of SAS programs which needs to be execut= ed step by step; kinda uses output from one program as input for next progr= am. So at one of the step, the program calls in 'X' Command as followed %IF &N. =3D 8 %THEN %DO; DATA _NULL_; X 'C:\AHRQQI\AHRQPrediction\AHRQ.exe C:\AHRQQI\IQI\Prediction_PIQ08.xml'; RUN; %END; with this step there will be an output generated on PC; after this step the= re is other SAS program uses this output to ...

Can't Add "Mode" to Quick Access Toolbar in MS-Access 2007
I keep selecting and selecting, but it just doesn't show up. I also have no button in the ribbon for this, or any ability to get into other modes via the Office button. It's very frustrating; I had to search online for a keyboard shortcut to be able to access Design Mode at all. I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but it doesn't make sense. I can add and remove other buttons from the toolbar, why not Mode?? On Jun 19, 10:10=A0am, Heather <mywor...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I keep selecting and selecting, but it just doesn't show up. I also > have no butto...

Listview Box
Currently I have a Listview 6.0 control set up that contains basically a listbox (generated from a table in Access) with checkboxes next to each list item. How do I pass values of only one column of the listview box through? Also, how do I pass values in general? It seems like ..ItemData and .ItemIndex do not work with VB or Access. If anyone can help out that would be wonderful. Please reply soon. I am able to get the program to loop through all items in the listview box and if the item is checked, then it returns a msg box that says it is checked. I thought that was some progress. &qu...

how to replace and string in a "SELECT ... IN ()"
Hi, I have a BIIIIIG problem with the next query: cursor.execute(""" SELECT titem.object_id, titem.tag_id FROM tagging_taggeditem titem WHERE titem.object_id IN (%s) """,( eid_list)) eid_list is suppossed to be a list of ids = [1,5,9] How can I make it work? Thanks On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 02:32:50 -0700 (PDT), bcurtu wrote: > I have a BIIIIIG problem with the next query: > > cursor.execute(""" > SELECT titem.object_id, titem...

Web resources about - MS Access DDE Selectively Quotes Strings - comp.soft-sys.sas

Moxtra - Your Binder, Share Selectively for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd ...
Get Moxtra - Your Binder, Share Selectively on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Mal Brough accuses 60 Minutes of selectively editing interview
Labor has called on Malcolm Turnbull to decide the future of Special Minister of State Mal Brough when he returns from Paris on Wednesday amid ...

Pierre Poilievre 'selectively' reading election report, author says
Pierre Poilievre isn't being fair in his reading of a report into problems stemming from the 2011 federal election, Harry Neufeld, the report's ...

GOP activist Crowder accused of provoking MI union members, selectively editing video
Conservative "gotcha" video edited out segment that may exonerate "violent" union member in Michigan. .

Obama Meets Congressional Resistance, Selectively Sulks
It worked. And somehow, the man who is the alleged expert on the Constitution did not perceive that the mechanism of the bicameral Congress and ...

Safely upload and selectively share your family photos with Sherish
... monthly or yearly subscription. There is a free trial which is being expanded from 30 days to six months. Sherish Safely upload and selectively ...

Selectively block web scripts, styles, frames and more with Policeman
Scripts, applets, analytics and ads: the web has a wide range of content which might compromize your privacy. And normally there’s not a great ...

Buster Posey becomes selectively aggressive
Thanks to a retooled approach, San Francisco's star backstop hasn't missed a beat in 2015. When the season wraps up, the National League MVP ...

"The perfectly sensible reason why panda mothers and other creatures selectively abandon babies."
... videos ). But Ms. Kaplan never says anything at all about human mothers, though clearly we are among the "other creatures" who "selectively ...