PC to PC

Hello all

I have connect licensed.  I wondered, is it possible to submit a sas
job to remotely run on another pc version of sas (not a server
version), or is a server license needed?

Thanks

Robert

Hi Robert

It is possible. Here are the things you do:

On the remote PC you should have SAS connect spawner
service running. Following are the steps on remote pc:

1. Include the following entry in
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file:

spawner         4016/tcp        #SAS UNINX Spawner

2. Start service by running the following command:

c:\program files\sas\8.2\utilities\bin\sastcpd
-inheritance -service spawner

On the client pc run the following:

%let node=<remote pc name> 4016;
options remote=node;
filename rlink �c:\program
files\sas\8.2\misc\connect\tcpwin.scr�;
signon;

This step will prompt you for userid and password.
After authentication you can now submit code on remote
pc within rsubmit and endrsubmit steps.

Hope this helps.

-Nagi

--- stratton_37@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I have connect licensed.  I wondered, is it possible
> to submit a sas
> job to remotely run on another pc version of sas
> (not a server
> version), or is a server license needed?
>
> Thanks
>
> Robert

0
bombhore (3)

Modifications to use PC SAS instead of Mainframe SAS (Former subject: "PC SAS")
Mia, Since you are new to SAS, I would recommend that you modify the mainframe SAS code slightly and use it on your PC. But, you will have to reformat the Excel files and save them as text (without any column headings) before running SAS. I will presume that the first columns of your spreadsheets are the same as the mainframe data file. Test1 has YR, ATYPE, OBJ, SOBJ and AMT and Test2 has OBJ, SOBJ and SNAME. You want to adjust the column widths in Excel to match the SAS code and save the Excel file as a text file. Column widths in Excel should be set with "Format" > "C...

Re: PC to PC
Hi Robert It is possible. Here are the things you do: On the remote PC you should have SAS connect spawner service running. Following are the steps on remote pc: 1. Include the following entry in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file: spawner 4016/tcp #SAS UNINX Spawner 2. Start service by running the following command: c:\program files\sas\8.2\utilities\bin\sastcpd -inheritance -service spawner On the client pc run the following: %let node=<remote pc name> 4016; options remote=node; filename rlink �c:\program files\sas\8.2\misc\connect\tcpwin.scr�; signon; This step will prompt you for userid and password. After authentication you can now submit code on remote pc within rsubmit and endrsubmit steps. Hope this helps. -Nagi --- stratton_37@HOTMAIL.COM wrote: > Hello all > > I have connect licensed. I wondered, is it possible > to submit a sas > job to remotely run on another pc version of sas > (not a server > version), or is a server license needed? > > Thanks > > Robert > ...

netsync PC to PC?
Hi, apologies if I bother you with a question that has been around for more than a decade... I have to synchronize the Palm databases on two PCs directly without the handheld! Reason: both PCs run palmone desktop 4.1.4 (as recommended by palm for my palm pilot). My palm pilot, however, is too old to install the corresponding version. It runs on some older version but communication with the PCs is ok. Now, the desktop 4.1.4 has more data fields (e.g. in Adressbook) than the handheld. I can't therefore, use the handheld anymore to synchronize these additional fiel...

Wanted: Central Point Backup or PC Backup or PC Tools 6 or PC DOS 7 or PC DOS 2000
Hello I'm currently looking to restore some old backup 3.5 floppy disks containing old files from my college years in the early 90s. The files have the syntax CPBACKUP.00X. My research has led me to the following website where I see that I might have success with the following software and / or operating systems. http://www.oldskool.org/guides/dosbackupshootout Does anyone know where I can locate the following? Central Point Backup or PC Backup or PC Tools 6 or PC DOS 7 or PC DOS 2000 Thank you On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 16:47:06 -0700 (PDT), Steve DeLeo <stev...

PC Gaming Almost Dead -AGAIN- So................ PC Industry Consortium to announce 'PC Gaming Alliance' to save PC gaming
Takahashi: Gaming Alliance stumps for PC By Dean Takahashi Mercury News 02/12/2008 The personal computer game industry has trailed behind its console brethren in recent years as easy-to-play games on the Nintendo Wii or online games on the Xbox 360 have stolen the excitement. Companies with a vested interest in keeping the PC alive as a gaming platform will soon announce a consortium dubbed the PC Gaming Alliance. According to two people familiar with the effort, it will include top industry players such as Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices as well as a number of computer ...

RAM for 333Mhz? PC-66, PC-100, PC-133
I am getting confused and I hope to get some advice from you gurus. I want to upgrade my RAM on my tray-loading iMac 333Mhz machine. I know that the original requirements were for PC-66 SO-DIMMs. But they're getting hard to find and I would rather avoid the hassle of having to special-order them (which always seems to me to mean a MRP or above-average price and a long lag time). I have also read that the PC-100s are backwards compatible -- for some Macs. I just don't know if the PC-100s or PC-133s can be put into the 333Mhz machine. I know my limits -- I will be taking the machine...

Both can ping, 1st pc can access 2nd pc shared folder, but 2nd pc can't 1st pc's.?
pc-a & pc-b connected with rj-45 vis a switch. Having same workgroup "MSHOME". pc-a ping to pc-b "OK". pc-b ping to pc-a "OK". both pcs TCP/IP is configured for file & printer sharing & client for ms network. pc-a can access pc-b's shared folders . MY PROBLEM IS "WHY PC-B CAN'T ACCESS PC-A's SHARED FOLDERS?". Any suggestion? By the way, both pcs can browse ie from single gateway. Both OS is Xp sp2. And they can access mutually in the past. Are you talking about regularly shared folders or admin shares like ADMIN$ or ...

PC to PC via Internet
Hi All, I have what I hope is simple question .. I am not sure if this the right place to ask it ... if not please point me in the right direction. I need to transfer a number of very large files from a computer in Dallas to another in Sydney Australia. Both computers are have cable internet connections. One sits on the other side of a corporate firewall. There is a total of approx 700 Mb of files to transfer. Is there a way (such as with the use of FTP) to connect the two computers directly to enable the files to be retreived from one computer by the other (the one behind the c...

Network traffic to a PC, but PC Off.
I am no network expert. Using LanView Packet Capture, I noticed recently that even if a PC (on a LAN) is off, internet traffic was still directed at this PC (the destination IP identifies the PC). Is this normal ? Thanks. sl@exabyte pisze: > I am no network expert. > > Using LanView Packet Capture, I noticed recently that even if a PC (on a > LAN) is off, internet traffic was still directed at this PC (the destination > IP identifies the PC). > > Is this normal ? > > Thanks. > > Yes it's normal. For example if one host (A) sends packet to host (B), the packet is sent even if host B is down and packets with destination ip of host B appears in network. The question is how long yours PC is down. There may be some active connections on your NAT router. Also if there are some ports redirected to that PC the packets will appear. -- Regards Dariusz Malec Dariusz Malec wrote: > > Yes it's normal. > For example if one host (A) sends packet to host (B), the packet is > sent even if host B is down and packets with destination ip of host B > appears in network. > > The question is how long yours PC is down. There may be some active > connections on your NAT router. > Also if there are some ports redirected to that PC the packets will > appear. If the destination PC is off, say at least 45minutes, is this normal ? Thanks. On 2010-05-14, sl@exabyte <ecp_gen@my-rialto.com> wrote: > I...

SAS/PC
Please, Anyone knows where i find reference about SAS/PC ?? Tks. Pedro Albuquerque ...

Difference Between PC SAS and UNIX SAS
Hi, Whether there is any difference between PC SAS and UNIX SAS &nbsp;from the functionality or user point of view. &nbsp; If there is a difference , kindly can you mention it. &nbsp; Thanks for the help in advance. &nbsp; Suthakar &nbsp; &nbsp; "Suthakar Iyer" <suthakariyer@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:221005.80242.qm@web50610.mail.re2.yahoo.com... > Hi, > Whether there is any difference between PC SAS and UNIX SAS &nbsp;from the functionality or user point of view. > &nbsp; > If there is a difference , kindly can you mention it. > &nbsp; > Thanks for the help in advance. > &nbsp; > Suthakar > &nbsp; > &nbsp; In my limited experience, there are minor programming differences - you use a forward slash instead of a backward slash in path names for example, and case matters in file names for Unix but not for Windows. These are operating system issues - how you specify the physical location of a file varies with the OS. The more noticeable differences are interface issues. SAS on Unix doesn't have an application work space - the program, log, output, and other windows of a SAS session are loose objects on the desktop, while on Windows these objects are all collected within the application work space. I think this is a SAS issue - I remember back in version 6 that SAS had an application work space on Unix, and why it doesn't in version 9 is beyond me. Other appearance ...

PC
fcghfty http://www.geocities.com/siorety/ http://indianfriendfinder.com/go/g906181-pmem ...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS
Eric , If you go this route make sure you have SAS/Connect module as you will want to more than likely rsubmit your code to the mainframe have it do the heavy lifting and then just shoot theresults back to your PC. From my experience I would have rather just stayed with the mainframe. YOu will need to teach people the difference between server side and client side and how to write and mod the existing programs accrodingly. Also you will need to be careful with using macros and macro variables as you really have to understand when things get resolved and when things get passed and how to pass a macro variable from the client side to the server side. As for a drain on your PC, not much unless you start donloading abunch of really big datasets. Then yoru gonna eat your PC harddrive space. Toby Dunn When everything is coming at you all at once, your in the wrong lane. A truly happy person is someone who can smile and enjoy the scenery on a detour. From: elsolo <elsolo21@YAHOO.COM> Reply-To: elsolo <elsolo21@YAHOO.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 08:16:57 -0700 We currently use SAS on a mainframe running z/os. We are contemplating moving to the SAS for Windows version. I'm trying to put together a list of pros and cons. For pros, I have simple things such as: Friendly user interface, better reporting directly from sas, easier to export files, easier to automate projects. For Cons I have obv...

Re: Difference Between PC SAS and UNIX SAS
I'm not aware of any differences in SAS. For sure, there are some differences for external interfaces. E.g. there are no drive letters in UNIX (C:\a\b\). Normally the path delimiters are slashes (/) instead on back-slashes (\) in UNIX, but you can use both in SAS (c:/a/b). And all the commands are different (cp instead of copy, ls instead of dir, mkdir instead of md, ...) As far as you don't need that external commands, SAS is all the same on both platforms. Some limitations could be different - not the SAS limits, but OS limits. A few years ago you could not have more than 2 GB as dataset size (that limitations is gone for long time, only as example). There might be a difference. On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:28:09 -0700, Suthakar Iyer <suthakariyer@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >Hi, >Whether there is any difference between PC SAS and UNIX SAS &nbsp;from the functionality or user point of view. >&nbsp; >If there is a difference , kindly can you mention it. >&nbsp; >Thanks for the help in advance. >&nbsp; >Suthakar >&nbsp; >&nbsp; ...

Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS)
http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6119618.html Teraflop PCs anyone? 80 cores by 2008? Can I port MVS(z/OS) to it? Alan Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net <http://www.savian.net/> Paul, I appreciate the defense of the mainframe. It is near and dear to my heart. I don't ask the question as a detractor but because I think it may have outlived its time. Sure, it will be here for awhile, that I have no doubt of, but I think it may have reached its zenith. I say that for lots of reasons. There is a war being fought below i...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #35
As I recall, at an SUGI opening session around 1999 or 2000, Dr. Goodnight remarked that one firm had solved their Y2K problems by electing to install SAP. The installation was so costly that they went bankrupt. Nat Wooding ----------------------------------------- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message contains information which may be legally confidential and/or privileged and does not in any case represent a firm ENERGY COMMODITY bid or offer relating thereto which binds the sender without an additional express written confirmation to that effect. The information is intended s...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #24
I agree that the days of large mainframe purchases are nearing their end, but for a slightly different reason - licensing costs. MVS is very expensive compared to Linux, and doesn't make up for the increased licensing fees by reducing the need for support personnel. In the case of SAS, you can buy a server license that's just big enough to suit your needs, instead of a license for a machine where 99% of the users will never invoke SAS, directly or indirectly. MVS is much better at resource control than Unix (and I think it's Unix that's replacing MVS, not Windows), but it...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #10
I started off on mainframes with ISPF and JCL 24 years ago. Didn't make the complete move to Windows until around 1998 or 1999. Been doing Windows exclusively since then. Just letting you that I've spent years in both worlds. First, perhaps this is just a matter of taste, but I find the Windows development environment far superior to the mainframe. I do admit that I've not heard of syntax highlighting or other enhancements you mention. Nor do I know of anyone else who has. I guess this is not more widely known because the mainframe types that I've run into aren't rea...

Custom script for SAS/Connect from PC/SAS to UNIX
What I am trying to do is to call a specific UNIX script that points users to the correct -work and -sort directories on the UNIX side when they are using SAS/Connect on their PC. We have specific work/sort directories that users are suppose to use for their work/sort. I have thought of having users specify in their Options statement but with thousands of programs that was met with stony silence. Currently we are using the PC/SAS call below to log onto the UNIX, %LET MYNODE=XXXXXXXX sasspawn; /* XXXXXXXX = server name */ options comamid=tcp; options remote= MYNODE; filename rlink clear; f...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #33
paul_dorfman@MERCK.COM replied: > >Sander, > >It was in 1994. Yes, from what I have seen, SAP's ETL/reporting >abilities are more than rudimentary (kudos to SAS for having noted that >and utilized the niche). However, consulting fees charged to "tailor" >SAP to a particular business environment (which in reality means >tailoring the particular bussiness environment to SAP) are not >rudimentary by any measure. I do not about now (must have subsided a >bit, but then maybe not), but I distinctly remember that circa 1997 >~$250/hr was nothing special ...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #16
Von: SAS(r) Discussion Im Auftrag von Alan Churchill Gesendet: Montag, 18. September 2006 13:47 Betreff: Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS Whale vs school of minnows is the popular analogy. Alan While our popular analogy is: How many Cessna's does it take to replace a Boeing 747? 8^) Robert ...

Re: SAS-EG Vs PC-SAS #2
Praveen, Remember that EG is generating SAS code and then submitting it to a SAS server for execution; EG itself does not execute the code. If you hare seeing a 5-10 fold increase in execution time, I would suspect that your hardware/software are suboptimal for what you are doing. Another possibility may be network lag caused by having to move files on the fly. Are your two programs (PC and EG) really the same? If they are, and you have eliminated everything within your power to control, then it may be time to start complaining vigourously to your management. A 5-10 fold increase is rediculous... Clint -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Praveen Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 8:40 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS-EG Vs PC-SAS Hi All, Our organization is migrating from PC-SAS to SAS-EG. It makes perfect business sense as we are a huge organization and require too many licences. We can have the server licence of EG for, say x, number of users. In this way my company can also keep the count of all the licences which different business units are using. But the problem is that we find that EG is not performing so well in terms of time taking to run codes as there is network lag, and the way EG handles the data. I use some models for forecasting which takes me about an hour each on PC, but it may take anywhere around 5-10 hours on EG. It can also be due to all those GUI which SAS has incorporated in thi...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #29
the Dilbert character "Mordac, Preventer of Information Technology" I remember hearing so many stories of the bizzare "rules" some shops would adopt. Paul has a story about use of Tabulate at one shop he worked. --Joe ---- Original message ---- >Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:13:02 -0600 >From: Alan Churchill <SASL001@SAVIAN.NET> >Subject: Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > >What was it recently? No camera phones. That didn't last long because they >are all now camera phones. I went onsite at one place that disabled USB &g...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #15
Sander, I disagree. There is no way that a mainframe is stronger than a grid. A mainframe can be part of a grid and hence is a subset. As an example, a mainframe cannot do search queries faster than Google. The old comparison of a PC and a mainframe cost-wise is out of date. Today's PCs can be extremely safe and maintainable, they are fast in every measure, and they provide a much better user experience. Wall clock time, my guess is that the jobs will also run faster. With quad-core PCs available by this Christmas running virtualization, you could have an 8 way on the desk, running RAID...

Web resources about - PC to PC - comp.soft-sys.sas

Technology Product Reviews, News, Prices & Downloads - PCMag.com - PC Magazine
PC Magazine is your complete guide to PC computers, peripherals and upgrades. We test and review computer- and Internet-related products and ...

Pro Tools PC
A PC built with the specific purpose of running Pro Tools. I can’t help thinking the new Mac Pro will eat this thing for lunch.

PC World Magazine New Zealand
Technology news and reviews for business and home.

Technology, News and Reviews - PC Pro
Reviews of laptops, PCs, digital cameras, printers, software, peripherals, components and more. Plus technology news and opinion

I'm a PC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The ad series features prominent and popular individuals saying "I'm a PC" and has appearances by common international users as well as personalities ...

Exclusive – Rabbi on Planned Walkout of Donald Trump’s AIPAC Speech: ‘What Trump Calls PC,’ We Call ‘Being ...
Exclusive – Rabbi on Planned Walkout of Donald Trump’s AIPAC Speech: ‘What Trump Calls PC,’ We Call ‘Being a Good Person’

Apple thinks you'll replace your Windows PC with one of its new iPads
... shy about using it to steal away Microsoft users. "You might not know this, but the majority of iPad Pro users are coming from a Windows PC," ...

Ontario PC Party Head: A “Sensible” Carbon Price Is In The Offing
... the government — at the annual party meeting in Ontario. The comment was intended to create a distinction between the yet-to-be-revealed PC ...

Using an old PC is sad, says Apple exec
Technically Incorrect: There was one memorable joke from the Apple event told by the company's Phil Schiller. But was it a joke? And if so, was ...

Adobe data hints Apple has won the PC wars
“PCs are going to be trucks,” Apple ’s legendary co-founder, Steve Jobs once famously said . What the world didn’t hear was what he might as ...