From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Talbot
Michael Katz
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 1:39 PM
To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: &&&&&&

Hi.

It requires SIX ampersands to resolve the macro variable example below:

data _null_ ;
 set DS1 end = last ;
 call symput("mlv" || compress(put(_N_,best32.)), mli)
 ;
 call symput(mli, tdt) ;
 if last then do ;
  call symput("mlin", compress(put(_N_,best32.))) ;
 end ;
run ;
%put &&mlv&mlin.  = &&&&&&mlv&mlin. ;

(So, if there are five observations in the data set, and the fifth value of
mli is "DAISY" and the fifth value of tdt is "YELLOW" this will print
out "DAISY = YELLOW")

Why does it take so many ampersands to resolve?  Can someone please explain
this resolution to me so that it gets through my extremely dense skull?

Thanks!

--  TMK  --
"The Macro Klutz"