Re: Can a SAS program call another SAS program #3

Dear SAS-L-ers,

David Fickbohm posted the following:

> I am writing a report that counts the number of widgets produced by
> partners.   I have a small routine that finds the partners id
> number and
> name.  Obviously I could copy this code into my program and
> execute it.  I was wondering if there was a more elegant way
> of "Calling" a SAS program
> from within a SAS program.   I am running SAS 8.1 in windows.

David, there sure is a more elegant way; and a simple one at that!  Simply
use the %INCLUDE statement.  The %INCLUDE statement allows you to include a
SAS program file containing a snippet of code or to include an entire SAS
program.  Here is what it might look like:

        %include "C:\Davids\Directory\Widget_Routine.sas";

In the statement, above, every single solitary individual distinct unique
line in the Widget_Routine.sas file will be plopped into your SAS program at
the point where the %INCLUDE statement is executed.  So, be careful that if
it is a SAS code snippet (e.g. not a complete DATA step), you sandwich the
%INCLUDE within the boundaries of a DATA statement and RUN statement.

David, it couldn't get any easier than that!  Best of luck to you in your
effort to be inclusive in calling on your already-written SAS programs!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect
those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies
specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty
is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding
to use information in this posting do so at their own risk.

Michael A. Raithel
"The man who wrote the book on performance"
E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com
Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the MVS Environment
Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the OS/390 and z/OS Environments, Second
Edition
http://www.sas.com/apps/pubscat/bookdetails.jsp?catid=1&pc=58172

Currently Writing:  The Complete Guide to Creating and Using SAS Indexes
(due Summer 2005)

The right to be heard does not automatically include the
right to be taken seriously. - Hubert Humphrey