Re: Compressing data sets (was Re: [SAS-L]) #2 #2

Yes, but that's still having another program do the decompression on
your behalf.

--
JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com
Manager, Technical Development

>>> <ben.powell@CLA.CO.UK> 01/06/2004 1:21 AM >>>
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:14:02 -0700, Jack Hamilton
<JackHamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM> wrote:

>OK, "you or a program on your behalf will have to decompress them
before
>use".
>

>--
>JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com
>Manager, Technical Development
>Metrics Department, First Health
>West Sacramento, California USA

PM

>Actually you can compress(WINZIP, PKZIP) SAS data sets and use them
in
>the
>compressed format.  There is software named ZipMagic which allows zip
>files
>to be used as windows folders.  I have done this with mixed results
>when the
>underlying data set is upwards of 4GB.  But with 3gb and smaller
files
>find this works really well.
>
>Once you have ZipMagic installed and you have ZIP folders on you can
>set a
>libref up to the zip file
>
>libname ziptest 'c:\temp\testzip.zip';
>

>Richard W. Graham
>Vice President
>Glencairn Consulting Group, Inc.

Winzip
>or
>> is
>> there another utility?
>>
>> Krishna Kumar
>>
>> Krishna R. Kumar, Ph. D.
>> Accountancy / SBPM
>> The George Washington University
>> Washington DC 20052
>> Ph (202) 994-5976
>> Fax (202) 994-5164

Alternatively you can switch on Windows XP native compression, which
compresses almost as much as zipping and is invisible to SAS. (Right
click
on a directory, properties, advanced, compress). You may want to do
some
R&D to confirm there are no deliterious performance issues. Using this
method there is no need to decompress before accessing a dataset.

HTH
0
JackHamilton (922)