Re: Compressing data sets (was Re: [SAS-L]) #2

OK, "you or a program on your behalf will have to decompress them before
use".

--
JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com
Manager, Technical Development

>>> "Richard Graham" <richardwgraham@earthlink.net> 01/05/2004 5:04 PM

Actually you can compress(WINZIP, PKZIP) SAS data sets and use them in
the
compressed format.  There is software named ZipMagic which allows zip
files
to be used as windows folders.  I have done this with mixed results
when the
underlying data set is upwards of 4GB.  But with 3gb and smaller files
find this works really well.

Once you have ZipMagic installed and you have ZIP folders on you can
set a
libref up to the zip file

libname ziptest 'c:\temp\testzip.zip';

Richard W. Graham