Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #5

Mikeey

I did try V8 before I sent the posting just to be sure that V5toV6 was not
available and I too, found it not there. I see that Dale did not find it in
a V6.12 installation. I just ran a mainframe 6.09E job and the proc is
there. I find it odd that it would not be available in 6.12 since this is a
V6 proc. The spelling is

V5TOV6

Nat

                      Michael Raithel
                      <michaelraithel@W        To:       SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
                      ESTAT.COM>               cc:
                      Sent by: "SAS(r)         Subject:  Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9
                      Discussion"
                      <SAS-L@LISTSERV.U
                      GA.EDU>

                      12/16/04 03:31 PM
                      Please respond to
                      Michael Raithel

Dear SAS-L-ers,

Nat Wooding, a knowledgeable neighbor just to the South of SAS Mecca posted
the following:

> Just to jump in, in V6, there was a Proc V5toV6 but that only
> gets you one step along the way. I just checked and the proc
> is not available in V9 (at least on the pc).

Nat, what a very clever way to inch along towards the goal!  My mental
picture is that of the old fire brigade where a bucket of water is passed
from individual to individual:  SAS V5 to SAS V6; SAS v6 to SAS V8, and SAS
V8 to SAS V9.  The bucket of water is, of course, the original SAS V5 data
sets.

Unfortunately, the original poster may have reached the end of the line if
he/she does not have SAS V6.  I say this because the SAS V8 online doc for
Windows states the following:

        Procedures

        The following SAS procedure is no longer supported: V5TOV6

        For more information about procedures, see SAS Procedures under
Windows.

If SAS V8 doesn't support V5TOV6, then I'll bet that SAS V9 does not
support
it either.  So, hopefully, the original poster has SAS V6 laying around in
one of those dusty file cabinets somewhere in the bowels of his
organization.

Nat, I'll catch you elsewhere on the 'L!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not
reflect
those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or
methodologies
specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no
warranty
is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding
to use information in this posting do so at their own risk.

Michael A. Raithel
"The man who wrote the book on performance"
E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com
Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the MVS Environment
Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the OS/390 and z/OS Environments, Second
Edition
http://www.sas.com/apps/pubscat/bookdetails.jsp?catid=1&pc=58172
<http://www.sas.com/apps/pubscat/bookdetails.jsp?catid=1&pc=58172>

Currently Writing:  The Complete Guide to Creating and Using SAS Indexes
(due Summer 2005)

It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid
with them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson