Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9

Dear SAS-L-ers,

Al Nardi posted the following:

> Has anyone ever converted a SAS 5 (scary) file to SAS 9.1 ?
> I have some old (version 5) data that needs to be converted.

Al Nardi, if it had not been a Wintry 43 degrees (Fahrenheit) here in the
metropolitan Washington, DC area, your question certainly would have put a
chill in the air!  Brrrrr!

No, I have not done so, and think that you have a rough road ahead...
unless, just unless, the SAS Version 5 files happen to be in Transport file
format.  If the SAS Version 5 files were created with PROC CPORT, they
should be able to be CIMPORT-ed to SAS Version 9.x without any problems.
The SAS Institute stated in the past that the SAS transport file format is
_THE_ preferred method of storing and transferring old SAS files across
time, space and computing platforms.

Al Nardi, if your SAS V5 files are indeed in SAS transport file format, then
you should seriously consider playing the lottery, because you are
definitely on a winning streak!  (If not, don't waste your money)!

Best of luck to you in your archeological endeavor to dust off the bones of
those decade-old SAS data sets!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect
those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies
specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty
is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding
to use information in this posting do so at their own risk.

Michael A. Raithel
"The man who wrote the book on performance"
E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com
Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the MVS Environment
Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the OS/390 and z/OS Environments, Second
Edition
http://www.sas.com/apps/pubscat/bookdetails.jsp?catid=1&pc=58172

Currently Writing:  The Complete Guide to Creating and Using SAS Indexes
(due Summer 2005)

Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity. - Mary Kay Ash

Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #5
Mikeey I did try V8 before I sent the posting just to be sure that V5toV6 was not available and I too, found it not there. I see that Dale did not find it in a V6.12 installation. I just ran a mainframe 6.09E job and the proc is there. I find it odd that it would not be available in 6.12 since this is a V6 proc. The spelling is V5TOV6 Nat Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@W To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU ESTAT.COM> cc: Sent by: "SAS(r) Subject: Re: Converting...

Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #9 641267
I did a little googling tonight and came across some SAS faqs about converting V5 files to V6. It seems that Proc V5toV6 was available on most platforms but not on the pc. However, there is supposed to be a V5 engine available that will allow SAS V6 to read a V5 file. Nat ...

Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #9 1545842
I believe DOS is not the MS-DOS you're thinking of; it was one of IBMs mainframe operating systems (the other system at the time would have been OS --> MVS --> z/OS). Unless written in transport, you'll need a mainframe to read them. ---- Original message ---- >Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:52:28 +1300 >From: Robin Templer <robin.templer@XTRA.CO.NZ> >Subject: Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > >AH ... - then you do have an issue and I suspect a mission. > >1. SAS V5 never ran in the DOS or Windows environment - so I suspect >that you DO NOT have V5 datasets. You need to ascertain exacly under >WHICH environment and Version of SAS the data was created under. What >are the file extensions of the datasets - that may well tell us the >answer. If they are dataset.SSD then they are DOS or Windows V6 >datasets and you will be able to read them with SAS 9. > >2. Secondly - I remember that Proc V5TOV6 was not available on the PC >platforms (DOS and Windows and OS/2) as there had never been a V5 >release in those enviornments - it was only available on VMS, MVS, CMS etc. > >Until you know the answer to point 1, then I suspect all we can offer >are guesses > > >Al Nardi wrote: > >>Ah...thats the issue..it was created on a (sit down again) a DOS system.. >>the user emailed me 4 small versions 5 files...and my task is to convert >>them.. >&...

Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #10
http://www.sas.com/presscenter/bgndr_history.html 1985 ... Technology milestones... First SAS System release for PC DOS (Base SAS and SAS/RTERM software) is immediate success. Micro-to-mainframe link (SAS/C Compiler) is introduced for PCs linking to mainframes. Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Nat Wooding Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 7:01 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 Robin I must beg to differ- A pc DOS version of SAS was announced in the spring of 1985 and ran (if you could call it that) on XTs and Ats. The cover of SAS Communications for that quarter has a picture of an AT with a SAS session. As I recall, the package arrived on about 40 5 1/4 inch floppies and was a bear to load. On my AT, a proc means of a hundred or so obs took something like a minute to run. I think that a question for Al (are you listening) is what media are these sets on - floppies (3 1/2, I hope) or mainframe tape reels? Nat Wooding Robin Templer <robin.templer@XT To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU RA.CO.NZ> cc: Sent by: "SAS(r) Subject: Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.U GA.EDU> 12/...

Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #14
Puddin', From my recollection, this was not a SAS DM command. This was something that you typed in a MS/DOS line. In order to start a telnet or an FTP session to connect your pc to Unix/Mainframe, the TCPIP module needed to be loaded. This was done by typing "tcpip" on the MS/DOS command line. Once you had quit the Telnet/FTP, the tcpip module was not needed. If you did not unload it manually, it would still be hogging the memory. An interactive SAS session wouldn't even start up because of inadequate memory. Typing "tcpip -k" would free up some memory to start an interactive SAS session. All this seems long ago. In actual years it is not. I was using this even in the early to mid 1990s as a student .. here .. in the U.S. Venky -----Original Message----- From: Pudding Man [mailto:pudding.man@gmail.com] Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 3:34 PM To: Venky Chakravarthy Cc: SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu Subject: Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:41:15 -0500, Venky Chakravarthy <venky.chakravarthy@pfizer.com> wrote: > On a related OT note, does anyone remember TCPIP -K to free up that > precious memory? It seems like a long time ago in computer parlance but in > actual years not that long ago. Venky, TCPIP -K? No comprendere. It *sounds* like your are referring to DM commands in PC/MS/DOS V6 used to report/control memory usage? From my '89 notes: CDM Info on resident SAS modules CDE Largest bloc...

Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #13
Hi Al Nardi, The current DBMS/copy version 8 still supports version 5 transport formats. So you should be able to transform them directly into version 9 datasets. I only hope you have the files correctly transferred (to Windows format) in terms of character set and end-of-line conversion. Stat/transfer possibly also may still support that versions format. Their website is not very specific about that. Regards - Jim. -- Y. (Jim) Groeneveld, MSc., Biostatistician, Science Team Vitatron B.V., Meander 1051, 6825 MJ Arnhem P.O.Box 5227, 6802 EE Arnhem, the Netherlands Tel: +31/0 26 376 7365, Fax: +31/0 26 376 7305 Jim.Groeneveld_AT_Vitatron.com (replace _AT_ by AT sign) http://www.vitatron.com, http://home.hccnet.nl/jim.groeneveld My computer and I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. [common disclaimer] On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:09:57 -0500, Al Nardi <alnardi@CMXGROUP.COM> wrote: >Has anyone ever converted a SAS 5 (scary) file to SAS 9.1 ? >I have some old (version 5) data that needs to be converted. > >Thanks >Al Nardi ...

Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #11
It's a platform issue much more than a version issue. Quoting from the V. 9 z/OS Companion (http://support.sas.com/onlinedoc/913/getDoc/en/hosto390.hlp/mvs-allsas- engines.htm): "SAS System 9 can read, but not update, libraries that were created in the V5 and V5TAPE formats. Note that the V5 and V5TAPE engines cannot be specified on the LIBNAME statement. However, SAS will identify the correct engine to use with these libraries if no engine is specified." I suspect that the V5 libraries created on OS and DOS mainframe systems had the same internal structure. Al never actually indicated what platform he is using, but he did indicate that he is running SAS on a laptop, so I think it is not z/OS. Al said that he received the datasets as e-mail attachments, so there are no media compatibility issues. I think he would have essentially the same problem if the datasets had been created yesterday on a mainframe. They have to be converted on a mainframe. On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:02:44 -0800, Choate, Paul@DDS <pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV> wrote: >Al - > >You don't mention your platform or storage. On v8.2 MVS SAS has v5 and >v5tape read-only library engines. [snip] On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:50:26 -0500, F. J. Kelley <jkelley@UGA.EDU> wrote: >I believe DOS is not the MS-DOS you're thinking of; it was >one of IBMs mainframe operating systems (the other system at >the time would have been OS --> MVS --> z/OS). Unless >written in...

Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #8
Just to jump in, in V6, there was a Proc V5toV6 but that only gets you one step along the way. I just checked and the proc is not available in V9 (at least on the pc). Nat Wooding Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@W To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU ESTAT.COM> cc: Sent by: "SAS(r) Subject: Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.U GA.EDU> 12/16/04 02:45 PM Please respond to Michael Raithel Dear SAS-L-ers, Al Nardi posted the following: > Has anyone ever converted a SAS 5 (scary) file to SAS 9.1 ? > I have some old (version 5) data that needs to be converted. > Al Nardi, if it had not been a Wintry 43 degrees (Fahrenheit) here in the metropolitan Washington, DC area, your question certainly would have put a chill in the air! Brrrrr! No, I have not done so, and think that you have a rough road ahead... unless, just unless, the SAS Version 5 files happen to be in Transport file format. If the SAS Version 5 files were created with PROC CPORT, they should be able to be CIMPORT-ed to SAS Version 9.x without any problems. The SAS Institute stated in the past that the SAS transport file format is _THE_ preferred method of storing and transferring old SAS files across tim...

Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #12 1545866
Hello Friends, I remember using PC SAS 6.04. I missed using the first version for PCs, 6.03. To make it useful (SAS/CONNECT to the mainframe), we had to be able to load PC-DOS (MS-DOS), SAS, and your mainframe terminal emulator with conventional memory (640 KB). We had to swap out our existing emulator for another one with a smaller footprint to make it work. I over-clocked that IBM AT with a new crystal but that is another, OT story ;-) Just to confirm and clarify, Version 5 was never released for use on personal computers. So if the data set was created on a personal computer, it had to be V6 or later. - Michael "Mad Doggy" Davis >X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2657.72) >Newsgroups: bit.listserv.sas-l >Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 07:59:32 -0800 >Reply-To: "Choate, Paul@DDS" <pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV> >Sender: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> >From: "Choate, Paul@DDS" <pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV> >Subject: Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > >http://www.sas.com/presscenter/bgndr_history.html >1985 ... Technology milestones... > >First SAS System release for PC DOS (Base SAS and SAS/RTERM software) is >immediate success. >Micro-to-mainframe link (SAS/C Compiler) is introduced for PCs linking to >mainframes. > > >Paul Choate >DDS Data Extraction >(916) 654-2160 > >-----Original Message----- >From: ...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #5
Good deal Bob, atleast that company was headed in the right direction IMO... I have given such tests and taken them. I ussually give them a data set, the specs I want them to follow, and a example of what I want the output to look like. Then I tend to give them like 4 or 5 hours if they need it to complete the project. In reallity they should be done in an hour or so. The test should be challenging but not too challenging, and the solution should involve a few data steps, procedures, and some type of reporting..... Toby Dunn Comprimise is like telling a lie, it gets easier and easier. Each comprimise you make, that becomes your standard. Perfection doesnt exist, once you reach it, its not perfect anymore. It means something else. From: Bob_Abelson@HGSI.COM Reply-To: Bob_Abelson@HGSI.COM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:22:59 -0400 I interviewed at a company that gave a test where I had a half hour to produce a very simple report using PROC REPORT. I was provided all the manuals I wanted, but because I had used PROC REPORT before, I wanted none of them. I finished in five minutes, and most people on SAS-L would be able to beat that time. Bob Abelson HGSI 240 314 4400 x1374 bob_abelson@hgsi.com "toby dunn" <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM> Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 09/04/2007 05:15 PM Please respond to "toby d...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #9
ALan , Lets keep this to straight SAS, I dont tell people what they should use in SAS to produce the report, but rather I say here is what the report should look like, here i sthe data set, here ar the specs, now go make it happen. If your hirng a junior level programmer they should know the data step and say proc sort, proc print, proc format. If your going after a Senior level programmer the test should be harder and reflect more things like ODs, macro, etc... In your case you dont promote straight SAS solutions and that is great, but a whole other market than a straight SAS programmer. Toby Dunn Comprimise is like telling a lie, it gets easier and easier. Each comprimise you make, that becomes your standard. Perfection doesnt exist, once you reach it, its not perfect anymore. It means something else. From: Alan Churchill <savian001@GMAIL.COM> Reply-To: Alan Churchill <savian001@GMAIL.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:54:31 -0600 Well Toby, let me ask something then. Since I am not an ODS fan and haven't used proc report/tabulate for some time, would that be an automatic disqualifier since you don't allow reference books or materials? SAS does not provide tools that help me code ODS (except for EG) and therefore a reference material is all I would need. Now, it's not like I haven't used proc report (used it extensively at one time), ...

Re: SAS System Viewer 9.1 unable to open SAS datasets ( SAS 9.1.3)
A question in return: is your table from windows? compressed from another system? and specially with personnel formats hard coded inside? Andre msiddu2000 a �crit : > SAS System Viewer 9.1 was able to open datasets that were created by > V8 engine (SAS 8.2), but is unable to open datasets that are created > with V9 engine (SAS 9.1.3). > > Does this need SAS System Viewer to be upgraded ? > or > Something else needs to be done ? > > -- Andr� WIELKI INED (Institut National d'Etudes D�mographiques) Service Informatique 133 Boulevard Davout 75980 Paris Cedex 20 m�l : wielki@ined.fr t�l : 33 (0) 1 56 06 21 54 ...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year.
I took the advanced exam this April because I wanted a relatively systematic way of assessing my knowledge of SAS in a short time span. For that purpose, it was worth it. Since I learn SAS by doing new tasks, or re-doing old tasks in a new way, I assume my knowledge of SAS is uneven, even though I am regarded as productive, and frequently creative in using SAS to solve our group's problems. I passed the test, with lower subscores on the components that I expected to be weakest on. I thought many of the questions made me think about some fundamental, sometimes subtle, features of the language. I did some guessing, but that was on my weaker topics. So the exam results, in my view, reflected something real. I agree, a prospective employer should not put much stock in SAS certification exams. Many highly effective people are not good test takers. Besides, this exam is a crude instrument. My score was identical to a colleague who still regularly asks me for guidance in finding solutions in SAS to specific problems. I probably know more SAS than he does (and he is a good SAS programmer), but you wouldn't know from the exam results. As to version 9-specific questions, I don't recall whether there was much material that was version 9 only. But I expected the test to be more oriented to "advanced" concepts than to new features of version 9. By the way, even though I passed, I can't get a SAS advanced certificate -- because I haven't taken the...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #6
I interviewed at a company that gave a test where I had a half hour to produce a very simple report using PROC REPORT. I was provided all the manuals I wanted, but because I had used PROC REPORT before, I wanted none of them. I finished in five minutes, and most people on SAS-L would be able to beat that time. Bob Abelson HGSI 240 314 4400 x1374 bob_abelson@hgsi.com "toby dunn" <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM> Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 09/04/2007 05:15 PM Please respond to "toby dunn" <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM> To SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU cc Subject Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. Ed , I still contend and stick with they should both be able to program and know how SAS works. I prefer the intervewing company give a test, were the person being interviewed is sat in front a laptop or desktop and told to write code to solve some problems. No online help no books just the persona nd the computer. This weeds out those who can code and those who cant, from those who can you then talk to them about the code they wrote and you can deduce those who understand how SAS works and thos who dont. The pool you are left with are the qualified candidates atleast from a SAS perspective and you can make your choice from there. Toby Dunn Comprimise is like telling a lie, it gets easier and easier. Each comprimise you make, that becomes your standard. Perfection doesnt exist, once...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #7
Well Toby, let me ask something then. Since I am not an ODS fan and haven't used proc report/tabulate for some time, would that be an automatic disqualifier since you don't allow reference books or materials? SAS does not provide tools that help me code ODS (except for EG) and therefore a reference material is all I would need. Now, it's not like I haven't used proc report (used it extensively at one time), it's just that I prefer other means to produce the final output. It seems that a test like this would toss me out of the pool from the get-go. Heck, maybe that's what the goal would be ;-] Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of toby dunn Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 3:34 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. Good deal Bob, atleast that company was headed in the right direction IMO... I have given such tests and taken them. I ussually give them a data set, the specs I want them to follow, and a example of what I want the output to look like. Then I tend to give them like 4 or 5 hours if they need it to complete the project. In reallity they should be done in an hour or so. The test should be challenging but not too challenging, and the solution should involve a few data steps, procedures, and some type of reporting..... Toby Dunn Comprimise is like telling a lie, it...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #4
Ed , I still contend and stick with they should both be able to program and know how SAS works. I prefer the intervewing company give a test, were the person being interviewed is sat in front a laptop or desktop and told to write code to solve some problems. No online help no books just the persona nd the computer. This weeds out those who can code and those who cant, from those who can you then talk to them about the code they wrote and you can deduce those who understand how SAS works and thos who dont. The pool you are left with are the qualified candidates atleast from a SAS perspective and you can make your choice from there. Toby Dunn Comprimise is like telling a lie, it gets easier and easier. Each comprimise you make, that becomes your standard. Perfection doesnt exist, once you reach it, its not perfect anymore. It means something else. From: Ed Heaton <EdHeaton@WESTAT.COM> Reply-To: Ed Heaton <EdHeaton@WESTAT.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:52:16 -0400 Okay, I think I need to weigh-in on this. First, the exam is designed to test what you know about how SAS works. I think it does a fair job at that. (I say so partly because I only scored 89 on the exam. Now, I didn't prepare for the exam; I was really testing the exam when I took it as opposed to using the exam to test my skills.) The exam doesn't know how well you can program...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #2
jontugman, Test preparation is akin to following a simple algorithm: 1. Evaluate the test and discover if it is worth taking. 2. If #1 evaluates false then go to exit. 3. Determine if your *test* knowledge of SAS is insufficient. 4. If #3 evaluates true, do the test preparation. 5. Pay the money. 6. Take the test. 7 Exit. From your standpoint, the step of paramount importance is step #1. That is where you mainly failed. From SAS' standpoint, only one step matters: #5. This is the only reason the test was created in the first place. The world would be a better place if all employers understood that as well. However, some recruiters/HRers require the certificate as a CYA backup should they accidentally hire a pure test-passer. Fortunately, I have not seen many occurrences of this nature since the inception of the boondoggle, perhaps because most candidates are almost inevitably interviewed by people qualified in SAS better than HR. And most qualified people saw the program for what it is even before its advent. SAS-L is replete with numerous posts to prove it. Needless to say, it does not imply in any way that any certificate-holder has no more SAS behind the belt than the certificate can cover. Far from that! Many fantastic real-world people have been forced into the thing by their SAS partnership business needs, many have taken it just for the heck of it because their employer would pay for it, etc. My opposition to the thing as a matter of principle is based on t...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #11
Kevin, Thank you for the nice words...I am sure I wouldn't have a chance on any stat exam, BTW. What I am good at is being in an absolute crisis and trying to get it solved with no time on the clock. That is why I think in a quirky manner. When the obvious isn't working, take a different path because there is simply no time left. It's what I did at MCI, SAS, and now as an independent. ....and that skill will not be measured on a certification exam or plopping me in front of a PC to hammer out an example SAS program. For any candidate, I can pick up their technical level with a few questions and watching their reactions. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Kevin Roland Viel Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 4:02 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Alan Churchill wrote: > It seems that a test like this would toss me out of the pool from the > get-go. Heck, maybe that's what the goal would be ;-] Well then, maybe the rest of us might have a chance then :) Given that I have not used SAS regularly in months, I would be hurting. Hopefully, I would not be tossed immediately either. Isn't one point of the test to allow a organization to call itself a partner or some other distinction? Maybe to be listed among companies on SI's websites? Kevin Kevin ...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #3
Okay, I think I need to weigh-in on this. First, the exam is designed to test what you know about how SAS works. I think it does a fair job at that. (I say so partly because I only scored 89 on the exam. Now, I didn't prepare for the exam; I was really testing the exam when I took it as opposed to using the exam to test my skills.) The exam doesn't know how well you can program. There is a big difference between having a large vocabulary and knowing the rules of grammar and knowing how to write. Similarly, there's a big difference between knowing how SAS works and knowing how to program. The exam does not test how well you can program. That said, when I look for someone to hire that I don't know, I need everything I can get to evaluate the candidate. Sure, it would be nice if they brought a portfolio of their code so I could see what they can write. That seldom happens, and when it does the code is often not really written by the applicant. So, I look for other things. An applicant often tells what they worked on, but that too can be exaggerated. What am I left with? Well, someone can program who doesn't know SAS, but probably they won't be a very good SAS programmer. I'd rather have the exam to judge than to not have the exam. If I were to apply for a job where the employer didn't know me, I would also want the certification to help them make the decision. Oh, as for the version 9 questions, I remember finding several. Just d...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #10
I actually think you are straight-jacketing the interview for a senior person. I would definitely look for someone who thought outside of the box. That may be ways of doing things other than macros or ODS or else putting a new spin on them. I ditched most of the macro language a decade ago, for example. As a hiring manager, I always went for creativity and not specific skills on hand and was very pleased with my hires. But hey, I don't hire anymore so it isn't something I have to face. BTW, no client has ever asked me for certification nor have I been quizzed on specific SAS knowledge. YMMV. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: toby dunn [mailto:tobydunn@hotmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 7:04 PM To: savian001@GMAIL.COM; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. ALan , Lets keep this to straight SAS, I dont tell people what they should use in SAS to produce the report, but rather I say here is what the report should look like, here i sthe data set, here ar the specs, now go make it happen. If your hirng a junior level programmer they should know the data step and say proc sort, proc print, proc format. If your going after a Senior level programmer the test should be harder and reflect more things like ODs, macro, etc... In your case you dont promote straight SAS solutions and that is great, but a whole other market than a straight SAS programmer. To...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #8
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Alan Churchill wrote: > It seems that a test like this would toss me out of the pool from the > get-go. Heck, maybe that's what the goal would be ;-] Well then, maybe the rest of us might have a chance then :) Given that I have not used SAS regularly in months, I would be hurting. Hopefully, I would not be tossed immediately either. Isn't one point of the test to allow a organization to call itself a partner or some other distinction? Maybe to be listed among companies on SI's websites? Kevin Kevin Viel, PhD Post-doctoral fellow Department of Genetics Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research San Antonio, TX 78227 ...

Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) #5
I think that SAS and R are very similar, even though their designs are very different. What matters is that both can be used to accomplish the same things - just as English and Swahilli serve the same purpose (communication) equally well. As for the copyleft "mess", do you really believe the propaganda and outright lies perpetrated by some companies? Remember, they want you to pay $$$ for your software, and copyleft poses a huge threat to that goal. -----Original Message----- From: Peter Flom [mailto:flom@NDRI.ORG] Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 12:57 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA....

Re: SAS Formats
Karan, If you are running SAS interactively, you can view the files in the SAS explorer window if you first execute the statement Options nofmterr; This will allow you to open the file for viewing without having the format catalog. Daniel J. Nordlund Research and Data Analysis Washington State Department of Social and Health Services Olympia, WA 98504-5204 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Karan Bhatia Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 2:48 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Formats - converting SAS dataset into SPSS data Hi Jim, Thanks for your prompt reply on SAS-L. I do not have formats as code, but as "formats.sasb7cat" which appears with a icon of a folder with a red dot at lower right corner. I feel its similar to a zip file. I know how to use formats code to convert it to SPSS value label code using a text editor, but don't know how to use this. I am using SAS 8.2 and SPSS 12. Thanks, Karan Karan Bhatia | karan@absolutdata.net; AbsolutData Technologies Inc. | http://www.absolutdata.net +91.11.5163.6400 Ext - 338 (Intl Dialing) +510.903.1026 Ext - 338 (US Dialing) -----Original Message----- From: Jim Groeneveld [mailto:jim1stat@YAHOO.CO.UK] Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 2:29 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU; Karan Bhatia Subject: Re: SAS Formats - converting SAS dataset into SPSS data Hi Karan, SAS formats are more than SPSS value labels. In SPSS, as you may know, value lab...

Re: SAS 9 and SAS 8
I suggest that you look at the SAS web site http://support.sas.com/documentation/whatsnew/index.html Nat Wooding Environmental Specialist III Dominion, Environmental Biology 4111 Castlewood Rd Richmond, VA 23234 Phone:804-271-5313, Fax: 804-271-2977 pausha <pausha1@GMAIL.CO M> To Sent by: "SAS(r) SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Discussion" cc <SAS-L@LISTSERV.U GA.EDU> Subject SAS 9 and SAS 8 11/20/2008 03:28 PM Please respond to pausha <pausha1@GMAIL.CO M> Could someone send me the papers or articles that gives the differences between sas 8 and sas 9 and new function and changes in sas 9. Thanks CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message contains information which may be legally confidential and/or privileged and does not in any case represent a firm ENERGY COMMODITY bid or offer relating thereto which binds the sender without an additional express written confirmation to that effect. The information is intended solely for the individual or entity named above and access by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copyi...

Web resources about - Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 - comp.soft-sys.sas

Converting dry air to water: solution to Broken Hill's water crisis gains support
A one-man crusade by a Broken Hill resident to solve the historic town's water crisis by introducing air to water converters is gaining support. ...