Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #2

Well Madan,

Gerhard already gave you two possible meanings of both terms, which I think
may be associated with either term. I would like to add a third meaning that
could be expressed by either term as well. In this meaning it would imply
that the database building process has been declared finished, stopped,
whether or not new data are still coming in. The data that are already in
the database have been _cleaned_ and _unblinded_. The database is frozen,
locked. It may have been made physically impossible to add or change
anything or it only has the status of a final db. This state of the db will
be used for statistical analysis (in pharmaceutical research). Sometimes a
database may be reopened if it yet shows too many inconsistencies or other
problems. But those terms indicate a final and reliable state of a db.

Regards - Jim.
--
Jim Groeneveld, Netherlands
Statistician, SAS consultant

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:00:48 +0100, Madan Kundu <madan4331@YAHOO.CO.IN> wrote:

>Hi ALL
>
>  I have come across two terms �Database Lock� and �Database Freeze�. I am
not sure how does these two terms differ in their meaning. I will appreciate
if anybody helps me out.

>  Thanks in advance.
>
>  Regards
>
>  Madan Gopal Kundu
>  Biostatistician I, i3statprobe
>  Tel(O): +91 (0) 124 3094 022, Mobile: +919868788406
>

>---------------------------------
> Check out what you're missing if you're not on Yahoo! Messenger
0
jim2stat (828)

Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze
I never heared of a "database freeze", but it sounds like something like a error situation. Means, that you cannot work with a database while it is busy (?), might also be a continuing error situation. Lock means, that someone or something (might be a application, e.g. a backup routine) has allocated the database exclusively for a while. A situation which could be "normal" and ends, when the specific action is finished. So my interpretation is: if there is a lock, you should wait for the lock to end and you can continue, if a database "freezes", you should look for the reasons for that or ask for support, if the situation does not change. Gerhard On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:00:48 +0100, Madan Kundu <madan4331@YAHOO.CO.IN> wrote: >Hi ALL > > I have come across two terms ?Database Lock? and ?Database Freeze?. I am not sure how does these two terms differ in their meaning. I will appreciate if anybody helps me out. > > Thanks in advance. > > Regards > > Madan Gopal Kundu > Biostatistician I, i3statprobe > Tel(O): +91 (0) 124 3094 022, Mobile: +919868788406 > > >--------------------------------- > Check out what you're missing if you're not on Yahoo! Messenger ...

Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #5
We, someone, perhaps Bob should make a "list" of the vast array of terms used by clinical trials data analysts to describe the same object/event/etc. My favorite is the "Clinical Reporting Analysis Plan". It might make an interesting PharmaSUGI paper. On 4/24/07, Bob_Abelson@hgsi.com <Bob_Abelson@hgsi.com> wrote: > And just to add to the confusion, what Nancy said about database freeze > vs. database lock has the meaning reversed in my company. Maybe it's > because we use Clintrial instead of Oracle Clinical. > > Bob Abelson > HGSI > 240 314 4400 x1374 > bob_abelson@hgsi.com > > > > "Nancy Brucken" <brucken@PROVIDE.NET> > Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> > 04/24/2007 02:05 AM > Please respond to > "Nancy Brucken" <brucken@PROVIDE.NET> > > > To > SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > cc > > Subject > Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze > > > > > > > Hi Madan, > > To build on what Jim has said, these terms describe two different states > of > a clinical databases. > > The definitions differ somewhat between companies, but in general, a > locked > database is one where all queries have been resolved, meds and AEs have > been coded, and the data is pretty clean. Locked databases can be updated > as a result of data anomalies and inconsistencies found during the > su...

Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #3
Hi Madan, To build on what Jim has said, these terms describe two different states of a clinical databases. The definitions differ somewhat between companies, but in general, a locked database is one where all queries have been resolved, meds and AEs have been coded, and the data is pretty clean. Locked databases can be updated as a result of data anomalies and inconsistencies found during the subsequent table review. Frozen databases are just that. The data has been frozen, and further updates will not be made, except in extreme cases, which require much more paperwork than updates to a locked database. Oracle Clinical has a specific set of steps for locking, and then freezing, a clinical study database, for example. Hope this helps, Nancy Nancy Brucken brucken@provide.net On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 03:56:00 -0400, Jim Groeneveld <jim2stat@YAHOO.CO.UK> wrote: >Well Madan, > >Gerhard already gave you two possible meanings of both terms, which I think >may be associated with either term. I would like to add a third meaning that >could be expressed by either term as well. In this meaning it would imply >that the database building process has been declared finished, stopped, >whether or not new data are still coming in. The data that are already in >the database have been _cleaned_ and _unblinded_. The database is frozen, >locked. It may have been made physically impossible to add or change >anything or it only has the status of a final d...

Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #4
And just to add to the confusion, what Nancy said about database freeze=20 vs. database lock has the meaning reversed in my company. Maybe it's=20 because we use Clintrial instead of Oracle Clinical. Bob Abelson HGSI 240 314 4400 x1374 bob=5Fabelson@hgsi.com "Nancy Brucken" <brucken@PROVIDE.NET>=20 Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 04/24/2007 02:05 AM Please respond to "Nancy Brucken" <brucken@PROVIDE.NET> To SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU cc Subject Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze Hi Madan, To build on what Jim has said, these terms describe two different states=20 of a clinical databases. The definitions differ somewhat between companies, but in general, a=20 locked database is one where all queries have been resolved, meds and AEs have been coded, and the data is pretty clean. Locked databases can be updated as a result of data anomalies and inconsistencies found during the subsequent table review. Frozen databases are just that. The data has been frozen, and further updates will not be made, except in extreme cases, which require much more paperwork than updates to a locked database. Oracle Clinical has a specific set of steps for locking, and then=20 freezing, a clinical study database, for example. Hope this helps, Nancy Nancy Brucken brucken@provide.net On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 03:56:00 -0400, Jim Groeneveld <jim2stat@YAHOO.CO.UK> wrote: >Well Madan, > >Gerhard alrea...

Database Lock vs Database Freeze
Hi ALL I have come across two terms �Database Lock� and �Database Freeze�. I am not sure how does these two terms differ in their meaning. I will appreciate if anybody helps me out. Thanks in advance. Regards Madan Gopal Kundu Biostatistician I, i3statprobe Tel(O): +91 (0) 124 3094 022, Mobile: +919868788406 --------------------------------- Check out what you're missing if you're not on Yahoo! Messenger I never heared of a "database freeze", but it sounds like something like a error situation. Means, that you cannot work with a database while it is busy (?), might also be a continuing error situation. Lock means, that someone or something (might be a application, e.g. a backup routine) has allocated the database exclusively for a while. A situation which could be "normal" and ends, when the specific action is finished. So my interpretation is: if there is a lock, you should wait for the lock to end and you can continue, if a database "freezes", you should look for the reasons for that or ask for support, if the situation does not change. Gerhard On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:00:48 +0100, Madan Kundu <madan4331@YAHOO.CO.IN> wrote: >Hi ALL > > I have come across two terms ?Database Lock? and ?Database Freeze?. I am not sure how does these two terms differ in their meaning. I will appreciate if anybody helps me out. > > Thanks in advance. > > Regards > > Madan Gopal Kundu > Biostatist...

Re: database reorg for large databases? #2
Neil Truby said: > "Obnoxio The Chav" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message > news:1110625934.b94f20f7f1c78aa594cba514b25ed174@teranews... >> >> >> Darren_Jacobs@carmax.com said: >> >> Option 4 >> Table by table reorg using ALTER FRAGMENT. > > Isn't that what I said? Was it? I don't know -- I never pay any attention to anything you say. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco Travel broadens a person. You look as if you have been all over the world. I went to the airport to check in and they asked what I did because I looked like a terrorist. I said I was a comedian. They said, "Say something funny then." I told them I had just graduated from flying school. -- Ahmed Ahmed http://members.rogers.com/2remedy/images/smilies/banners/RTFM.gif sending to informix-list "Obnoxio The Chav" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message news:1110652728.b5b1b0fb7d8e3c37ac9ba5ef2b8f76ae@teranews... > > > Neil Truby said: >> "Obnoxio The Chav" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message >> news:1110625934.b94f20f7f1c78aa594cba514b25ed174@teran...

Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) #2
Sounds like R is the SAS equivalent of Linux .. who are incidentally in all sorts of a copy left/right mess at the moment. On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:39:37 -0500, Peter Flom <flom@NDRI.ORG> wrote: >I use both SAS and R; I"ve used SAS for 10 or 15 years, R for about 6 >months - 1 year. > >Each has strengths and weaknesses; I'd not like to give up either. > >Strengths of SAS (esp. compared to R) > >Tech support - I have SAS tech support's phone number and our license >number memorized. They're great. > >SAS-L - There's also an R-help list...

Re: Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle #2

Re: SAS database row #2
You want to do datastep programming, and will find the current row number in a var called _N_. E.g., data table1 ; set table1 ; calcvar = var1 + var2 ; rowid = _N_ ; run ; HTH, -Roy -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of captain Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 12:24 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS database row hi, Want to count rowid. One row by one row and on each do a calculation and than go to next or previous row. In oracle it is Rowid, wonder how to do in SAS for going by row. e.g. in Oracl...

Re: SAS vs. SPLUS vs. SAS #2 1617385
Hi Paul have not used S-Plus since around 2000-2002 so this may be Old News from S-Plus conference attendance they know their strength is: * rapid prototyping * great graphics downside: * you want speed! load all data into memory! column-wise operations * need to upgrade hardware w/more memory for large data sets * check documentation to find BigData functions which, iirc, operate like SAS does: row-wise previous version: v7 current version: v8.1 *** SAS: SAS/IML now has IML/Studio which enables access to R programs R is the open-source version of S+ ...

Re: How to connect to Oracle database from SAS #2
Hi All, I got a way to connect. Before i set up the ODBC connection by going to control panel --> Administrative tools --> Data Sources --> Add a new source and set the connection. May be in tnsnames.ora file you have to also set the connection. proc sql; connect to odbc(user=xxxx password=xxxxxx dsn='churndev'); create table TEST as select * from connection to odbc ( select * from table_name); quit; I got it from old archives :-) Cherish cherish k <hawks_cherish@yahoo.co.in> wrote: And I have the following SAS items installed. ---SAS/OR ---SAS/AF ---SAS/QC ---SAS/EIS ---SAS/SHARE*NET ---SAS Enterprise Miner ---SAS/IntrNet ---MDDB Server common products ---SAS Integration Technologies ---Enterprise Miner Server ---Enterprise Miner Thin Client ---OR OPT ---OR PRS ---OR IVS ---OR LSO In the net, its given that I need to have SAS Access license, and I think I dont have it. So what is the alternative that can be used? Cherish cherish k <hawks_cherish@yahoo.co.in> wrote: Hi All, I have to connect to SQL server production database and convert the SQL data into SAS readable data. Can somebody tell/give me basic dummy code on how to convert some xyz file in oracle server to SAS work directory with same xyz name. Earlier is used to ask the systems team to convert it into txt file from which i used to import it into SAS readable format. What all things are needed for it. I connect to the development server like this sqlplus client/client@...

Re: SAS In-Database Processing Announcement #2
Hi, An end-to-end performance improvement like this is not at all surprising. The original process probably extracted a ton of data out of the database and into SAS datasets, then ran some SAS data step scoring code against all that data, and then (finally) loaded the model score results back into the database. There's a whole lot of I/O going on. Moving the model scoring code into a native database procedure eliminates all that data movement and would particularly benefit a database system like Teradata. The technology to do integration like this exists today. For example, Enterprise Miner can generate C code for scoring, which could be compiled into a Teradata user defined function. I'm not saying it's easy; but it is very possible. The biggest hurdle is political; you need the support of the database folks to do this well. My hope for a partnership like this is to convince IT organizations (that don't particularly like or understand SAS) that SAS can "play well" with others. A Teradata "stamp of approval" will go a long way. I'm personally very interested in the details of what the press release calls a "Center of Excellence". I really hope that's an open resource, available to anyone and not restricted to consultants. I struggle getting quality answers to Teradata-specific questions from SAS; such a resource would help me a lot. Bob PS - Thanks to Ted for ending the original note! -----Original Message-...

Re: connect ODBC database from SAS #2
Jane: SAS has options that permit variations in dataset and column variable names. For a single instance, it usually proves safer to treat a table name as a name or string literal: either ....SET or ..... FROM abc.'subject date'n or 'abc.subject date'n, depending on whether abc is a LIBNAME reference to a database schema or part of the table name in the database schema. I suspect the former. A SAS compiler treats a quoted string followed immediately by an n as a special form of name. S -----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu] On Behalf Of Jane Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 9:49 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Cc: Jane Subject: connect ODBC database from SAS Hi All I have a question about connect ODBC from SAS. The table name in the ODBC database include some space like "abc.subject date" I use proc sql to pull out the data, but it seems SAS can not read a table with name including space. I don't have authority to change the ODBC, so does anyone have idea about it? Thank you very much! Jane ...

Re: How to create index in Access database out of SAS? #2
Hi Tom, PS: You can also use DDE to communicate as well. http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0503E&L=sas-l&P=R2243 Mark -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Terjeson, Mark Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:35 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: How to create index in Access database out of SAS? Hi Tom, Refering to http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9908C&L=sas-l&P=R15027. You can see that FROM CONNECTION TO xxx () sends an SQL text over to the SQL Server and then *returns* a table. The EXECUTE () by xxx sends an SQL text over to the SQL Server and *does not return a table*. You can see in the archived post, a sample of CREATE TABLE..., you just need to look at the SQL Server syntax for CREATE INDEX and use the EXECUTE () by xxx to run the command on the SQL Server. Hope this is helpful. Mark Terjeson Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R Russell Investments Russell Investments Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Green4Ever Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:18 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How to create index in Access database out of SAS? Hello, First I do an export of my SAS-dataset to an Access Database, then I want to create an index on a field in my Access Database. Can I do this with SAS and how? Thanks, Tom ...

Re: Can you create a new Access database from SAS? #2
PROC EXPORT DATA= DATASET_NAME OUTTABLE= "TABLE_NAME" DBMS=ACCESS REPLACE; DATABASE="C:\DATABASE_NAME.MDB"; This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Norris, Paul Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:05 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Can you create a new Access database from SAS? Is it possible to create a new Access database from SAS? I have a client for whom I create a delivery in the form of an Access database every month, and it would be helpful to be able to create the delivery vehicle in SAS, as opposed to just loading data into it. Thanks, Paul Norris UCSF ...

Re: BULKLOAD from SAS into DB2 database z/OS #2
Adainen, Your problem seems to be not having SAS forced to do something but rather the program itself. You are writing a flat (and perhaps delimited) file to be used as a feed into the load utility, and if the SAS program reads a SAS data set/view and writes a hex field before each data field based on the data filed's length, it must have instructions to do so, and in this respect, changing from one SAS version to another would not make a bit of a difference. Take a closer look at what you are running. On the other note, since you have mentioned BULKLOAD, this is a SAS option which allow...

Re: [Info-Ingres] Kill processes that causes lock in the database #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C81699.E7E4ECDA Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Robert, I guess I've always preferred the low level tools so I can see what is going on. I've had occasions in the past where imadb had been inaccessible for some reason. =20 vdba performance monitor is ok for first time users although I find it slow and the automatic refresh can be a bit tiresome especially when running over a slow link. - and if rmcmd is not running then you're up the creek. =20 Paul =20 ________________________________ From: info-ingres-bounces@kettleriverconsulting.com [mailto:info-ingres-bounces@kettleriverconsulting.com] On Behalf Of Robert Allely Sent: Thursday, 25 October 2007 9:31 AM To: info-ingres@kettleriverconsulting.com Subject: Re: [Info-Ingres] Kill processes that causes lock in the database =09 =09 Paul =20 So you dont recommend ever using the ima to remove sessions? eg. "execute procedure ima_remove_session"? from an OpenROAD app which does all the donkey work descibed below using ima and replaces ipm for most purposes. =20 Robert Allely POAL NZ ________________________________ From: info-ingres-bounces@kettleriverconsulting.com [mailto:info-ingres-bounces@kettleriverconsulting.com] On Behalf Of Paul White Sent: Thursday, 25 October 2007 11:58 a.m. To: info-ingre...

Re: SAS on a Unix machine accessing a SQL Server database (on a #2
Access OleDB Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Dimitri Shvorob Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:09 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS on a Unix machine accessing a SQL Server database (on a Windows machine): how? ... Could someone point me to the SAS/ACCESS driver needed for this task? (Is there a cheaper non-off-the-shelf alternative?) Thank you. ...

Re: Special characters in database are replaced by '?' in sas #2
I may just be applying a 'law of the hammer' instance, but I ran into a similar problem last week in attempting to extract a file that contained French characters. Regardless, the solution should be worth at least an attempt. I was able to solve my own problem by simply including an encode option. For example: infile 'c:\test.txt' dlm=',' encoding="utf-8" dsd firstobs=2; HTH, Art -------- On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 07:31:40 -0800, msiddu2000 <msiddu2000@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >In a database called eTrack for the clinical study the last name has >been entered as: >last name = Casta� �last name = Pe� � >However, when i extract the dataset the name outputs as 'Casta?o' and >'Pe?a' in the sas dataset. >can anyone help me in this regard? ...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #2
You're describing my project with the Department of Education! We had a dbase database and used a Clipper application to massage it into 'presentable' form. And I thought I was on the bleeding edge (back edge, that is) 8 years ago. As with everything, it depends on what your main purpose is. In my case, it was to disseminate the information to as many people as possible in a format that could be read by/into as many applications as possible. So, we converted our data to flat files and supplied an 'application' that generated sas code that would read the flat files into a sas dataset (complete with formats and labels), so the researcher could write their own code to run against the sas dataset. It sounds like your project isn't quite as ambitious, but the reason I include this example is that it's hard to predict what form data will take, say, 5 years from now. I'll bet you've already run into difficulties in using Clipper, and you'd like to avoid these kind of problems the next time you update/analyze your data. Sas has had some changes in going from one version to another--generally, upgrading to the next version involves updating your dataset to the next version's format. So, if you're purpose is to archive your data for the next iteration of your survey, unless you're going to be active in the data, sas might not be the best choice for data storage. Somewhat more stable would be something like SQL server (cheap, ...

Web resources about - Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #2 - comp.soft-sys.sas