Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #3

Hi Madan,

To build on what Jim has said, these terms describe two different states of
a clinical databases.

The definitions differ somewhat between companies, but in general, a locked
database is one where all queries have been resolved, meds and AEs have
been coded, and the data is pretty clean.  Locked databases can be updated
as a result of data anomalies and inconsistencies found during the
subsequent table review.

Frozen databases are just that. The data has been frozen, and further
updates will not be made, except in extreme cases, which require much more
paperwork than updates to a locked database.

Oracle Clinical has a specific set of steps for locking, and then freezing,
a clinical study database, for example.

Hope this helps,
   Nancy

Nancy Brucken
brucken@provide.net

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 03:56:00 -0400, Jim Groeneveld <jim2stat@YAHOO.CO.UK>
wrote:

>Well Madan,
>
>Gerhard already gave you two possible meanings of both terms, which I think
>may be associated with either term. I would like to add a third meaning
that
>could be expressed by either term as well. In this meaning it would imply
>that the database building process has been declared finished, stopped,
>whether or not new data are still coming in. The data that are already in
>the database have been _cleaned_ and _unblinded_. The database is frozen,
>locked. It may have been made physically impossible to add or change
>anything or it only has the status of a final db. This state of the db will
>be used for statistical analysis (in pharmaceutical research). Sometimes a
>database may be reopened if it yet shows too many inconsistencies or other
>problems. But those terms indicate a final and reliable state of a db.
>
>Regards - Jim.
>--
>Jim Groeneveld, Netherlands
>Statistician, SAS consultant
>home.hccnet.nl/jim.groeneveld
>

>On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:00:48 +0100, Madan Kundu <madan4331@YAHOO.CO.IN>
wrote:

>>Hi ALL
>>
>>  I have come across two terms �Database Lock� and �Database Freeze�. I am
>not sure how does these two terms differ in their meaning. I will
appreciate
>if anybody helps me out.
>>
>>  Thanks in advance.
>>
>>  Regards
>>
>>  Madan Gopal Kundu
>>  Biostatistician I, i3statprobe
>>  Tel(O): +91 (0) 124 3094 022, Mobile: +919868788406
>>

>>---------------------------------
>> Check out what you're missing if you're not on Yahoo! Messenger
0
brucken (165)

Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze
I never heared of a "database freeze", but it sounds like something like a error situation. Means, that you cannot work with a database while it is busy (?), might also be a continuing error situation. Lock means, that someone or something (might be a application, e.g. a backup routine) has allocated the database exclusively for a while. A situation which could be "normal" and ends, when the specific action is finished. So my interpretation is: if there is a lock, you should wait for the lock to end and you can continue, if a database "freezes", you should look for the reasons for that or ask for support, if the situation does not change. Gerhard On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:00:48 +0100, Madan Kundu <madan4331@YAHOO.CO.IN> wrote: >Hi ALL > > I have come across two terms ?Database Lock? and ?Database Freeze?. I am not sure how does these two terms differ in their meaning. I will appreciate if anybody helps me out. > > Thanks in advance. > > Regards > > Madan Gopal Kundu > Biostatistician I, i3statprobe > Tel(O): +91 (0) 124 3094 022, Mobile: +919868788406 > > >--------------------------------- > Check out what you're missing if you're not on Yahoo! Messenger ...

Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #2
[...]

Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #4
And just to add to the confusion, what Nancy said about database freeze=20 vs. database lock has the meaning reversed in my company. Maybe it's=20 because we use Clintrial instead of Oracle Clinical. Bob Abelson HGSI 240 314 4400 x1374 bob=5Fabelson@hgsi.com "Nancy Brucken" <brucken@PROVIDE.NET>=20 Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 04/24/2007 02:05 AM Please respond to "Nancy Brucken" <brucken@PROVIDE.NET> To SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU cc Subject Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze Hi Madan, To build on what Jim has said, these terms describe two different states=20 of a clinical databases. The definitions differ somewhat between companies, but in general, a=20 locked database is one where all queries have been resolved, meds and AEs have been coded, and the data is pretty clean. Locked databases can be updated as a result of data anomalies and inconsistencies found during the subsequent table review. Frozen databases are just that. The data has been frozen, and further updates will not be made, except in extreme cases, which require much more paperwork than updates to a locked database. Oracle Clinical has a specific set of steps for locking, and then=20 freezing, a clinical study database, for example. Hope this helps, Nancy Nancy Brucken brucken@provide.net On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 03:56:00 -0400, Jim Groeneveld <jim2stat@YAHOO.CO.UK> wrote: >Well Madan, > >Gerhard alrea...

Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #5
We, someone, perhaps Bob should make a "list" of the vast array of terms used by clinical trials data analysts to describe the same object/event/etc. My favorite is the "Clinical Reporting Analysis Plan". It might make an interesting PharmaSUGI paper. On 4/24/07, Bob_Abelson@hgsi.com <Bob_Abelson@hgsi.com> wrote: > And just to add to the confusion, what Nancy said about database freeze > vs. database lock has the meaning reversed in my company. Maybe it's > because we use Clintrial instead of Oracle Clinical. > > Bob Abelson > HGSI > 240 314 4400 x1374 > bob_abelson@hgsi.com > > > > "Nancy Brucken" <brucken@PROVIDE.NET> > Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> > 04/24/2007 02:05 AM > Please respond to > "Nancy Brucken" <brucken@PROVIDE.NET> > > > To > SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > cc > > Subject > Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze > > > > > > > Hi Madan, > > To build on what Jim has said, these terms describe two different states > of > a clinical databases. > > The definitions differ somewhat between companies, but in general, a > locked > database is one where all queries have been resolved, meds and AEs have > been coded, and the data is pretty clean. Locked databases can be updated > as a result of data anomalies and inconsistencies found during the > su...

Database Lock vs Database Freeze
Hi ALL I have come across two terms �Database Lock� and �Database Freeze�. I am not sure how does these two terms differ in their meaning. I will appreciate if anybody helps me out. Thanks in advance. Regards Madan Gopal Kundu Biostatistician I, i3statprobe Tel(O): +91 (0) 124 3094 022, Mobile: +919868788406 --------------------------------- Check out what you're missing if you're not on Yahoo! Messenger I never heared of a "database freeze", but it sounds like something like a error situation. Means, that you cannot work with a database while it is busy (?), might also be a continuing error situation. Lock means, that someone or something (might be a application, e.g. a backup routine) has allocated the database exclusively for a while. A situation which could be "normal" and ends, when the specific action is finished. So my interpretation is: if there is a lock, you should wait for the lock to end and you can continue, if a database "freezes", you should look for the reasons for that or ask for support, if the situation does not change. Gerhard On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:00:48 +0100, Madan Kundu <madan4331@YAHOO.CO.IN> wrote: >Hi ALL > > I have come across two terms ?Database Lock? and ?Database Freeze?. I am not sure how does these two terms differ in their meaning. I will appreciate if anybody helps me out. > > Thanks in advance. > > Regards > > Madan Gopal Kundu > Biostatist...

Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) #3
Wow, that was a leap. Better not use Apache or PHP then. Andy >-----Original Message----- >From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On >Behalf Of ben.powell@CLA.CO.UK >Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 10:37 AM >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) > >Sounds like R is the SAS equivalent of Linux .. who are >incidentally in all >sorts of a copy left/right mess at the moment. > >On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:39:37 -0500, Peter Flom <flom@NDRI.ORG> wrote: > >>I use both SAS a...

Re: SAS vs. SPLUS vs. SAS #3
I don't know much about trials work, but it has been discussed on the r-help list, and there are definitely people who use R for this type of thing Peter -----Original Message----- >From: Paul Miller <pjmiller_57@YAHOO.COM> >Sent: Dec 11, 2009 4:09 PM >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: SAS vs. SPLUS vs. SAS > >Hello Everyone, >� >I’ve recently become interested in sequential clinical trials designs. I’ve purchased a book that discusses the topic called “Analysis of Clinical Trials using SAS: A Practical Guide.” Upon trying to run some of the ...

Re: Dump Database / Porting Database to Oracle #3
Hi Mark. >>Then creating current directry <your database.dbs> > >I think you mean it creates a directory called <your database>.exp. Yes, thanks. -- Tsutomu Ogiwara from Tokyo Japan. ICQ#:168106592 _________________________________________________________________ Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail sending to informix-list ...

Re: SAS database into TXT #3
Miguel, you gave very little information (a sample datastep is always a good idea with this type of question). Would a simple PUT statement within a data step do? put num_var1 +(-1) ',' '"' char_var1 $ +(-1-missing(char_var1)) '"' ',' num_var2 +(-1) ',' '"' char_var2 $ +(-1-missing(char_var2)) '"' ; (The construct +(-1-missing(char_var)) is used to prevent missing character values from being output as " ", i.e. with a blank betw...

Re: connect ODBC database from SAS #3
Thank you Sigurd. I still get some error message like this: ERROR: CLI describe error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near 'subject date'. : [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Statement(s) could not be prepared. When I use the totally same code to pull out another table with name without space, everything is fine. Do you have any idea about it? Thanks Jane On 5/8/07, Sigurd Hermansen <HERMANS1@westat.com> wrote: > > Jane: > SAS has options that permit variations in dataset and column variable > names. For a single instance, it usually proves safer to treat a table > name as a name or string literal: > > either ....SET or ..... FROM abc.'subject date'n or 'abc.subject > date'n, depending on whether abc is a LIBNAME reference to a database > schema or part of the table name in the database schema. I suspect the > former. A SAS compiler treats a quoted string followed immediately by an > n as a special form of name. > S > > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu] > On Behalf Of Jane > Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 9:49 AM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Cc: Jane > Subject: connect ODBC database from SAS > > > Hi All > > I have a question about connect ODBC from SAS. The table name in the > ODBC database include some space like "abc.subjec...

Re: How to connect to Oracle database from SAS #3
I have another question. When am importing data from oracle database, default formats are being imported to SAS dataset. So some variables are having $250 whereas only 10 is needed. Is there a way to change the formats (length of the variable) without going through each variable and maximum length needed i.e. a generalized way of changing variable lengths (if it can be done while importing itself, then its even better). Thanks a lot in advance Cherish cherish k <hawks_cherish@yahoo.co.in> wrote: Hi All, I got a way to connect. Before i set up the ODBC connection by going to control panel --> Administrative tools --> Data Sources --> Add a new source and set the connection. May be in tnsnames.ora file you have to also set the connection. proc sql; connect to odbc(user=xxxx password=xxxxxx dsn='churndev'); create table TEST as select * from connection to odbc ( select * from table_name); quit; I got it from old archives :-) Cherish cherish k <hawks_cherish@yahoo.co.in> wrote: And I have the following SAS items installed. ---SAS/OR ---SAS/AF ---SAS/QC ---SAS/EIS ---SAS/SHARE*NET ---SAS Enterprise Miner ---SAS/IntrNet ---MDDB Server common products ---SAS Integration Technologies ---Enterprise Miner Server ---Enterprise Miner Thin Client ---OR OPT ---OR PRS ---OR IVS ---OR LSO In the net, its given that I need to have SAS Access license, and I think I dont have it. So what is the alternative that can be used? Cherish cherish k <...

Re: How to create index in Access database out of SAS? #3
I'm curious. If you already have data in SAS, why would you want to export it to Access? What can you do with it in Access that you cannot do in SAS? On Jan 31, 2008 10:17 AM, Green4Ever <bulcket@scarlet.be> wrote: > Hello, > > First I do an export of my SAS-dataset to an Access Database, then I > want to create an index on a field in my Access Database. Can I do > this with SAS and how? > > Thanks, > > Tom > ...

Re: Need for speed: writing to a database with SAS/ACCESS #3
Also try the bulkload option Darryl Putnam IT, Corporate Credit & Risk darryl.putnam@constellation.com (o) 410-468-3637 (c) 301-788-3347 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Pardee, Roy Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 11:53 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Need for speed: writing to a database with SAS/ACCESS Have you tried playing w/the DBCOMMIT option on the libname statement? Try bumping that up to say, 10k & see if it makes a difference. Other options to play with available here: http://support.sas.com/onlinedoc/913/getDoc/en/acreldb.hlp/a002915222.ht m HTH, -Roy -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Dimitri Shvorob Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 10:53 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Need for speed: writing to a database with SAS/ACCESS Occasionally, I have to transport a SAS dataset into a (local, single-user) MySQL database, and have used MySQL and ODBC engines of SAS/ACCESS for this task. In both cases, and regardless of whether I transfer data with something like 'data db.table; set sas.dataset; run;', or with PROC COPY, I have found writes to be *very* slow - a singe numeric column with 100,000 rows might well take 10 minutes to pass to MySQL. I was wondering if there are ways to improve the write speeds, and would appreciate a suggestion or a helpful link. Thank you. >>> This e-mail and any atta...

Re: Can you create a new Access database from SAS? #3
PROC EXPORT will do so (create a new access database if it doesn't already exist). PROC EXPORT data=(whatever) outtable=(table name) dbms=access replace; database=(.mdb file); run; -Joe On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Norris, Paul <Paul.Norris@ucsf.edu> wrote: > Is it possible to create a new Access database from SAS? > > I have a client for whom I create a delivery in the form of an Access > database every month, and it would be helpful to be able to create the > delivery vehicle in SAS, as opposed to just loading data into it. > > Thanks, > > Paul Norris > UCSF > ...

Re: SAS on a Unix machine accessing a SQL Server database (on a #3
Charles, The OleDB interface will be more versatile since it can run across a number of sources. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: Charles Chambers [mailto:ayo6@CDC.GOV] Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:45 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU; Alan Churchill Cc: Charles Chambers Subject: Re: SAS on a Unix machine accessing a SQL Server database (on a Windows machine): how? SAS/Access has a Interface to Microsoft SQL Server for Unix. Refer to page 67 and 74 of the online SAS/Access pdf. http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/91pdf/sasdoc_913/access_rdbr ef_10385.pdf ...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #3
Rob: MS Access imports data easily from dBase (*.dbf) files. I see no advantage in moving to SAS for that feature, especially if you would prefer to use the basic DE form controls in MS Access to develop what should be a simple DE capability. Although ODBC transfers of data from MS Access (*.mdb) databases has some pitfalls, as does OLEdb or other middleware (in particular, conversions of integers to floating point numbers, date/time values, and nulls/missings), a bit of Q/C will help you iron out the wrinkles and set up a reliable connection. It often helps as well to separate a data collecti...

One Database vs. Multiple Databases
I need to design a system which represents multiple "projects" in SQL Server. Each project has the same data model, but is independent of all others. My inclination is to use one database to store all projects. Looking at the numbers involved, however, I wonder if I would get better performance by storing each project in its own database. Suppose I have 50 projects, each with two users and 10,000 rows; it seems to me I'd rather have 50 x 2 users working in a table with 10,000 rows than 1 x 100 users working in a table with 500,000 rows. On the other hand, the single database ap...

Re: database reorg for large databases?
Darren_Jacobs@carmax.com said: Option 4 Table by table reorg using ALTER FRAGMENT. -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco Travel broadens a person. You look as if you have been all over the world. I went to the airport to check in and they asked what I did because I looked like a terrorist. I said I was a comedian. They said, "Say something funny then." I told them I had just graduated from flying school. -- Ahmed Ahmed http://members.rogers.com/2remedy/images/smilies/banners/RTFM.gif sending to informix-list "Obnoxio The Chav" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message news:1110625934.b94f20f7f1c78aa594cba514b25ed174@teranews... > > > Darren_Jacobs@carmax.com said: > > Option 4 > Table by table reorg using ALTER FRAGMENT. Isn't that what I said? ...

Re: Problems dumping database from 7.3.1 #3
*SIGH* Oh, well. I suppose I should have updated up development machine a while ago. ./configure; make here we come. Thank you for looking at this. At least I can be re-assured that the problem is fixed in later versions of Postgres. GTG >>> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> 05/12/04 20:36 PM >>> "Gordon Ross" <G.Ross@ccw.gov.uk> writes: > switchboards=# select * from "DNOwner"; > server closed the connection unexpectedly > The DNOwner table is the base table. There are other tables that inherit from this table, and doing a simple select on those produce the same result. Hmm. Does 'select * from only "DNOwner";' work, by any chance? I have a suspicion now that you were bit by the bug repaired in this 7.3.2 bug fix: 2003-01-04 19:56 tgl * src/backend/optimizer/prep/prepunion.c (REL7_3_STABLE): Fix inherited UPDATE for cases where child column numbering doesn't match parent table. This used to work, but was broken in 7.3 by rearrangement of code that handles targetlist sorting. Add a regression test to catch future breakage. What I am thinking happened is that you did an 'UPDATE "DNOwner"' to insert values for the new column, and that because of the aforesaid bug, the updates of the child tables actually corrupted the data (by storing the intended new dnid value into the wrong column position). The crash is probably happening because SELECT is trying to interpret an i...

Re: Problems dumping database from 7.3.1 #3
*SIGH* Oh, well. I suppose I should have updated up development machine a while ago. ./configure; make here we come. Thank you for looking at this. At least I can be re-assured that the problem is fixed in later versions of Postgres. GTG >>> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> 05/12/04 20:36 PM >>> "Gordon Ross" <G.Ross@ccw.gov.uk> writes: > switchboards=# select * from "DNOwner"; > server closed the connection unexpectedly > The DNOwner table is the base table. There are other tables that inherit from this table, and doing a simple sele...

Web resources about - Re: Database Lock vs Database Freeze #3 - comp.soft-sys.sas