Re: Dictionary problem with Parallel processing #2

Vijay,

I doubt if a view of a DICTIONARY file can do any better than the
DICTIONARY file
since the view executes the underlying DICTIONARY file.

There are probably more sophisticated methods involving the underlying
operating system to know when each job is finished.  However, you might use
the EXIST function to loop through the required data sets until all
data sets exist.

Ian Whitlock
================

vijayakumar <vijayk.kannan@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

Dear Folks,

I am facing strange problem, my environment is Sun Solaris, SAS 9.1.3.

Situation:

I want to create summary report for the libraries about no of obs,
when was the data set created and library name etc.

One main job started to run which in turn creates around 30 to 50
parallel jobs in which I have to create summary report specifically
for two libraries for all those parallel jobs.

 I have used dictionary. tables and dictionary. members to get the
report created but every now and then I am getting an error saying the
?Lock was not available for the dataset and held by some process?.

Solution in Mind:

Is this can be avoid if I use sashelp.vtable and sashelp.vslib? Since
as far as I know the dictionaries will open the libraries to get the
above said key things but these sashelp views can be other way around
to avoid these issue?

I need your expert?s advice on this to resolve this issue.

Regards,
Vijay
0
iw1sas (180)

Re: Dictionary problem with Parallel processing
> From: vijayakumar > > I am facing strange problem, my environment is Sun Solaris, SAS 9.1.3. > > Situation: > > I want to create summary report for the libraries about no of obs, > when was the data set created and library name etc. > > One main job started to run which in turn creates around 30 to 50 > parallel jobs in which I have to create summary report specifically > for two libraries for all those parallel jobs. > > I have used dictionary. tables and dictionary. members to get the > report created but every now and then I am getting an error saying the > "Lock was not available for the dataset and held by some process". > > Solution in Mind: > > Is this can be avoid if I use sashelp.vtable and sashelp.vslib? [sound of alarm bells going off here] > Since > as far as I know the dictionaries will open the libraries to get the > above said key things but these sashelp views can be other way around > to avoid these issue? > > I need your expert's advice on this to resolve this issue. summary: totally avoid reading sashelp views in production code reason: they are derivatives of SQL dictionaries and are an order of magnitude slower i.e.: takes 10 times as long than Contents which reads information for one specific libref. see http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/List_Processing_Development#Speed_Consi derations instead use Proc Contents data = Libref._all_ out = Wor...

Re: SAS time problem and formula problem #2
Please re-post your second question and present the formula in-line, as part of the message. SAS-L does not allow attachments. Also make it a separate posting, with its own subject. When a person has two or more unrelated questions, there is no reason to bundle them in one posting. It's not as if one has to pay for postage. Making a separate posting for each question, with appropriate subjects, makes it much easier to carry on and follow the discussions. On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:51:14 +0000, Vijay Reddi <Vijay.Reddi@SSL- INTERNATIONAL.COM> wrote: >Hi All, > >I have two probl...

Re: Newbie SAS Array problem (take 2) #2
Hi Machelle, Nice, good. But you should also declare your arrays dxnum and diagnum as being of character type. And I would even completely avoid this kind of solution. I would use a format instead (with some arrays or some macro code). Create a format for your 46 diagnose codes, like: PROC FORMAT; VALUE $DiagFmt '4270' = 'Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia' .............and so on............. ; RUN; And if it is just for presentation then never create a variable with the textual diagnoses, but use the code variables (dx#) instead with the format. If you really n...

Re: problem when installing SAS. windows x64 does not support SAS? #2
Elodie, Take a look at: http://support.sas.com/kb/16/568.html HTH, Art --------- On Wed, 14 May 2008 07:54:57 -0700, elodie.gillain@GMAIL.COM wrote: >Hi everyone > >I am trying to install SAS on a Vista machine. > >The setup wizard says that Windows x64 does not support the SAS >version I am trying to install. > >What can I do? > >I greatly appreciate your help. ...

Re: SAS 9.2 Update on problem re Help files
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:25:35 -0400, "Peter Flom" <peterflomconsulting@MINDSPRING.COM> said: > Hi again > > A week ago, I asked this list about a problem with 9.2: When you click > "help" it runs an index, but it doesn't save the index when you quite > SAS, so, each time you quit SAS, you lose the index. > > Replies received here did not work, so I wrote to SAS. > > They said, essentially, that it's a known bug, and they are working on > it. So you're responsible for the item in today's Tech Support Notes. Congratulations...

Re: Re[2]: (wx-users) Re: problems with wxMSW 2.8.0
VZ wrote on 25-JAN-2007 12:42:40.23 >JJ> In the application the bitmap (and also lines, text etc..) are generated by a >JJ> a procedure that is called from another language than c++ (i.e. C or F90) > > Why should it matter? > >JJ> By doing so the EVT_PAINT is not activated and the class of "canvas" is not >JJ> known. > > I don't understand this, sorry. The problem is that some c++ objects are not properly defined. One would like to call routines bbbb::ccccc. But that is not always allowed. >>JJ> So you need at least a way to force the EVT_PAINT (how do I do this?). >>JJ> However, I prefer the code as it is (and works in wxGTK) so that I can >>JJ> "draw directly" to the window, without manualy calling the event-handler. > > This is wrong if only because your window won't be repainted correctly if >the user covers it with another one or minimizes and then restores it. Not when these are temporary drawings like "counters". Ofcourse I also wrote the bitmap at repaint-time. To have everyting in the EVT_PAINT routine requires a lot of book-keeping of the program about what was drawn and what was erased etc. Cannot this be automated? In X-windows I normally switch on the Backingstore option, which keeps an image of the window in memory at the server side. Can this also be done in wxWidgets? >JJ> What would be the reason for w...

Re: suggest: improve SAS Deployment Wizard for SAS v9.2, phase 2 #2
> From: A Little Birdie > > I just searched the SAS-L archives (should have done that > first) and found references to these two pages: > > http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Category:V9.2_Phase_2 > > http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/V9.2_Phase_2_install_guide > > Have you seen this page? > ***************************************************** > http://support.sas.com/kb/35/631.html <---<<< NICE! ***************************************************** > It looks like it addresses your needs, and might be something > nice to add to the SASCo...

Re: SAS Parallel processing
Ram, if (for obvious reasons since you are rsubmitting code) you can not give us ready-to-run code then at least show us the error messages you get. Kind regards Robert > -----Urspruengliche Nachricht----- > Von Ram > Gesendet: Dienstag, 31. Juli 2007 02:51 > > Hi, > > I am relatively new to SAS parallel processing scene and trying to > work on the following piece of code using SAS 9 on a PC. The remote > server has 4 processors and this is a UNIX based server. On my PC > windows based SAS, I execute the following code after connecting to > the remote serve...

Dictionary problem with Parallel processing
Dear Folks, I am facing strange problem, my environment is Sun Solaris, SAS 9.1.3. Situation: I want to create summary report for the libraries about no of obs, when was the data set created and library name etc. One main job started to run which in turn creates around 30 to 50 parallel jobs in which I have to create summary report specifically for two libraries for all those parallel jobs. I have used dictionary. tables and dictionary. members to get the report created but every now and then I am getting an error saying the =93Lock was not available for the dataset and held by some process=94. Solution in Mind: Is this can be avoid if I use sashelp.vtable and sashelp.vslib? Since as far as I know the dictionaries will open the libraries to get the above said key things but these sashelp views can be other way around to avoid these issue? I need your expert=92s advice on this to resolve this issue. Regards, Vijay ...

Re: Dictionary problem #2
Hi, Antonmuhin, Alex and Batista, as I can use only Python 2.1 dict() is not allowed I guess. The .copy() trick works on the simple example I gave. Thanks a lot for your hints. But my real problem is more complex (nested dicts) like this: p_settings = {} for item in items : p = myList # a list for i in range(10) : for setting in p[i] : p_settings['anotherString']['aString'] = myString object_dict = {'id':'anotherString', 'settings':p_settings} object_perms_list.append(object_dict) here the copy()-trick does not work. How ...

Re: SAS Problem. #2
sas__l@HOTMAIL.COM expertly replied: >Hello, use SAS dates for computing time intervals and such.. >BUT >what is this? Has these two id's been hospitalized 5 times >in this short period? Poor fellas! >Is "enter" .. well, entering .. and "disc" a folowing visit, or? >Please explain if this doesn't get you going. > >data t1; > input enter : ddmmyy10. disc : ddmmyy10. x $ 23 id 25; > interval=intck( 'days', enter, disc); > . . . . . Yes. I agree. Good points all. And, since SAS dates are just the number of days since 1/...

SAS/Warehouse Administrator Problem?? or SAS/ACCESS problem?? #2
hello, I've built a process in SAS/Warehouse Administrator, where i'm trying to extract distinct cities from the 3 tables(source schema) in Oracle into a new table (target schema) called CITY and again into UniqueCity (target schema) bcos of some redundancy. The process looks like this. Unique City | | mapping | | CITY ...

Re: SAS chess problem :-) #2
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:43:10 -0800, Adriano Rodrigues <adriano@GPP.COM.BR> wrote: >Hi all, > > >Small joke, but my data from games I played is something like this: > > >data chess; > >input white $10. elowhite black $10. eloblack resw resb; > >datalines; > >Rodrigues 2305 Rocha 2105 1 0 > >Rodrigues 2305 Lima 2455 0.5 0.5 > >Watanabe 2400 Rodrigues 2305 0.5 0.5 > >Asfora 2270 Rodrigues 2305 0 1 > >Rodrigues 2305 Sunye 2485 0 1 > >; > >run; > > >proc print; > >run; > > >I want sort and print all games in this order: > > >Rodrigues 2305 Lima 2455 0.5 0.5 > >Rodrigues 2305 Rocha 2105 1 0 > >Rodrigues 2305 Sunye 2485 0 1 > >Asfora 2270 Rodrigues 2305 0 1 > >Watanabe 2400 Rodrigues 2305 0.5 0.5 > > >(all me with white first, then all me with black) > > >Is there a way in proc sort to order by white but telling to procedure I am >the first one? > > >What I did until today is to change my name to AAARodrigues and then use >one format to put my name back� > > >Thanks, > >Adriano > >Adriano Rodrigues > >Estat�stico Respons�vel > >Instituto GPP > >(21) 21091857 > > Try SQL, like proc sql; select * from chess order by (black = 'Rodrigues'), black, white; quit; ...

Re: SAS concatenation problem #2
Llyod, The reason you are getting a variable with the length of one is more than likely the fact that the first data set you bring in the data step has a missing value for that variable (the first data set is setting the length of your variables for all the datasets you are brining in.). The easiest way to solve the problem is to use a length statement and set the variable(s) to the length you desire. HTH Toby Dunn -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Lloyd Dollins Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 2:19 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU...

Re: SAS evaluation problems #2
But you should know that SAS-L prefers to help people with programs rather than do work for people. What is=20 your first-pass solution to these problems and where are you having trouble? -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: John Burton=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 1:04 PM Subject: SAS evaluation problems Hi all, I am filling out a SAS skills evaluation from a potential client. The instructions state that it is not to necesarily test one's knowlegde, but how they can use available resources to help solve problems. and would like to use you as a technical reference if you don't mind. (it is allowed per the instructions) "In order to complete the evaluation, the SAS Developer will require access to the SAS System and optionally online access for research purposes. All the data required is available within SAS by default or is described in the task itself. ... Developers may also need to place tickets with SAS to answer some of these questions. This evaluation is not to find out how much a Developer knows but test their resourcefulness in solving problems using the tools that are generally available to SAS Developers. If you do not have an answer to a question, describe what you would do in that situation. You can't ignore the question but what would you do if the situation occurred in real life where brushing in under the carpet is not a solution." Doing ...

Re: COBOL to SAS problem #2
While I can't prove it's impossible, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that the RECFM and LRECL options on an infile statement will suddenly fix an informat problem. -----Original Message----- From: Eric B [mailto:emblabac@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 9:57 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: COBOL to SAS problem Nevermind ... I found the issue ... in the infile statement I forgot to change the RECFM and the LRECL options. Thanks ! ...

Re: Problem with dictionary.tables #2
proc sql noprint; select 'Perm.'||memname into :dsn separated by " " from dictionary.tables where libname = "PERM"; quit; data result; set &dsn ; run; Toby Dunn From: "antje.schuele@googlemail.com" <antje.schuele@GOOGLEMAIL.COM> Reply-To: "antje.schuele@googlemail.com" <antje.schuele@GOOGLEMAIL.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Problem with dictionary.tables Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 08:09:13 -0700 Dear Newsgroup, I'd like to set a few tables together. That's why I read out my needed tabl...

Re: Problems with SAS code #2
ivan5ive@HOTMAIL.COM wrote: > >Hi everybody, >I have this SAS code: >[code] >%MACRO MODEL; >DATA NEW1; > ARRAY PIP(&IND); > SET TAB12(OBS=&IND) END=FINE; > IF _N_=1 THEN I=1; > ELSE I+1; > PIP(I)=PERCENT; > IF FINE THEN OUTPUT; > RETAIN PIP1-PIP&IND; >/************************************/ >DATA NEW2; > ARRAY VX(&IND1) $ 20.; > SET TAB1(OBS=&IND1) END=FINE; > IF _N_=1 THEN I=1; > ELSE I+1; > VX(I)=VARX; > IF FINE THEN OUTPUT; > RETAIN VX1-V...

Re: Unusual SAS processing Problem
What I am trying to understand is if the same model with same specification same class variables and same dataset ran well last week then sudenly what happened that is is taking 1 hr 51 mins to process ? Regards Sudip On Apr 2, 4:31 pm, sudip.memp...@GMAIL.COM (sudip chatterjee) wrote: > What I am trying to understand is if the same model with same > specification same class variables and same dataset ran well last week > then sudenly what happened that is is taking 1 hr 51 mins to process > ? > > Regards > Sudip Well, it sure would have been nice if you had provide...

Re: Data processing problem #2
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 09:56:14 -0700, jn mao <jn_mao@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >Hi SASLs,I have a large dataset. I need to calculate the duration by each two connected dates bydrug for each patient, then divided by NT. Only select the 2nd data of NT to divide duration.?My data:ID date drugname NTaa 1/2/08 xx 10aa 2/1/08 xx 14aa 2/3/08 yy 11aa 3/1/08 xx 15aa 3/2/08 yy 16The data I want:ID duration drugname NT NT_duraa 31 xx 14 14/31aa 28 xx 15 15/28aa 29 yy 16 16/29?The duration is the difference of two connented dates for the sam...

Re: Simple SAS problem #2
JK, data need (drop = _:) ; set have ; by sub grp ; retain _last_num 0 ; new_num = num + _last_num ; if last.grp then _last_num = num ; run ; On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:47:29 -0400, sas geeks <sasgeeks.jk@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >Hi, > I have the following data > >data have; >input sub grp $ num; >cards; >sub grp num >1 A 12 >1 A 54 >1 A 67 >1 A 88 >1 B 1 >1 B 77 >1 B 98 >1 B 105 >run; > >I need the following output > > sub grp num new_num >1 A 12 12 >1 A 54 54 >1 A 67 67 >1 A 88 88 >1 B 1 89 >1 B 77 165 >1 B 98 186 >1 B 105 193 > >Basically i need the last 'num' from the grp A and add that to the 'num' in >grp B to get new_num. I am sure it is very easy for most of you. I am just >not getting the idea. > >Thanks >JK ...

Re: Problem With PC SAS #2
Michael, thanks for taking a look at this. Here is what I have found. My log shows basically everything you mentioned regarding the signon - below. NOTE: Script file 'tcpunix.scr' entered. NOTE: Logged onto UNIX... Starting remote SAS now. NOTE: SAS/CONNECT conversation established. NOTE: Copyright (c) 2002-2003 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA. So, I am able to connect to UNIX. Then, I ran the suggested libname statements. They worked, so this is wonderful so far. Here is the log from those: NOTE: Libref UNIXLIB was successfully assigned as foll...

Re: SAS 9.2 Phase 2 #2
That is correct -- Phase 2 updates the "Foundation" products (Base SAS, SAS= /GRAPH, etc.), and also I believe is the first release for BI and some othe= r server-based products like that. (We don't license these, so I haven't lo= oked into this in detail.) My understanding is also that the "foundation" p= roducts must be completely reinstalled going from Phase 1 to Phase 2. If your bug is in the Problem Notes, you might be able to check there to se= e whether it is corrected in Phase 2. Mike Rhoads RhoadsM1@Westat.com -----Original Message----- From: D T [mailto:sasandstats@live.com] Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:33 AM To: Mike Rhoads; sas-l@listserv.uga.edu Subject: RE: [SAS-L] SAS 9.2 Phase 2 Is SAS 9.2 phase 2 the update to the first version of 9.2? I am waiting for= the update since there is supposed to be a correction to a bug within the = survey procedures ... can you confirm this? Also, if that's correct, how do= you get it? I couldn't find an announcement on the SAS website ... Thanks! D. > Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:23:27 -0400 > From: RHOADSM1@WESTAT.COM > Subject: Re: [SAS-L] SAS 9.2 Phase 2 > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > > It is now shipping, at least in the U.S. as of last week, or so I've been= told from reliable sources. (I'm a little surprised they didn't make a big= ger deal of it at the conference.) > > I don't know about abroad. I've heard that new releases can be...

Re: How many files can you have in a VMS directory without performance problems? performance problems? performance problems? problems? performance problems? performance problems? problems? perfo #2
On 8/17/05, Mark Berryman <mark@theberrymans.com> wrote: > Steven M. Schweda wrote: > > First, does anyone know why Info-VAX goes nuts on subjects from time > > to time? (Or is the trouble elsewhere?) >=20 > Elsewhere. Info-VAX does not rewrite the subject. >=20 > Mark Berryman > Info-VAX admin >=20 I thought it was reacting to poster sanity bugchecks. : ^ ) WWWebb --=20 NOTE: This email address is only used for noncommerical VMS-related correspondence. All unsolicited commercial email will be deemed to be a request for services pursuant to the t...

Web resources about - Re: Dictionary problem with Parallel processing #2 - comp.soft-sys.sas

Dictionary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to Nielsen (2008) a dictionary may be regarded as a lexicographical product that is characterised by three significant features: (1) ...

Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus goes 7.0 with interface improvements
In September, Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus was updated to version 6.0 with a significant redesign that introduced a fresh look and feel ...

Price Drop: Textkraft with German Dictionary
Textkraft with German Dictionary 3.1.3 Device: iOS iPad Only Category: Productivity Price: Free, Version: 3.1.3 ( iTunes ) Description: Das ...

'Rabid Feminist' and Other Sexist Sentences Should Be Excluded From the Oxford Dictionary ASAP
It's a source that's meant to inform and educate but the Oxford English Dictionary recently came under fire for being sexist. Michael Oman-Reagan, ...

'Mx.' instead of 'Mr.' or 'Mrs.?' It's in the dictionary now
Among the words officially added to dictionary.com this week is &quot;Mx.,&quot; pronounced &quot;mix&quot; and defined as &quot;a title of respect ...

'Identity' is Dictionary.com's word of the year - CNN.com
Race, sexuality and gender are the live-wire topics that inspired Dictionary.com to pick "identity" as its word of the year for 2015.

Jimmy Fallon, Nathan Lane play 'Kid Dictionary' on 'The Tonight Show' - EW.com
Jimmy Fallon, Nathan Lane play 'Kid Dictionary' on 'The Tonight Show' - EW.

The Original Hacker's Dictionary For Small Business Owners
A cybersecurity book and glossary for newbies and small business owners.

But That Isn't A Word: Oxford Dictionary Chooses The Face With Tears Of Joy Emoji As Word Of The Year ...
Because even dictionary companies want to feel edgy from time to time, Oxford Dictionaries has announced the 'face with tears of joy' emoji is ...

An Online Dictionary Plans to Catalog a Million Emerging English Words
With viral memes and hashtags sweeping the internet on the daily, language is evolving faster than conventional dictionaries can keep up. You ...