Re: Executing separate SAS File from Main SAS File

See %include

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu
[mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu]On Behalf Of
tobyrathgeb@stanford.edu
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 2:42 PM
To: sas-l@uga.edu
Subject: Executing separate SAS File from Main SAS File

Hi All

I was wondering if I can initiate execution of SAS code stored in a SAS
file from my main SAS code. Help very much appreciated.

Thanks Toby
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations.
Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courrier �lectronique est confidentiel et prot�g�. L'exp�diteur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent.
Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) d�sign�(s) est interdite.
Si vous recevez ce courrier �lectronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser imm�diatement, par retour de courrier �lectronique ou par un autre moyen.

Executing separate SAS File from Main SAS File
Hi All I was wondering if I can initiate execution of SAS code stored in a SAS file from my main SAS code. Help very much appreciated. Thanks Toby See %include -----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu]On Behalf Of tobyrathgeb@stanford.edu Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 2:42 PM To: sas-l@uga.edu Subject: Executing separate SAS File from Main SAS File Hi All I was wondering if I can initiate execution of SAS code stored in a SAS file from my main SAS code. Help very much appreciated. Thanks Toby __________________________________...

Re: running a sas file within a sas file
Like Joep wrote: that seems to be the right thing for the macro facility. With %include you are very static. With the macro facility that could be very dynamic. The simplest thing is: you could provide the statements you want to insert as parameter: %macro doit(stmt1=,stmt2=); ..... &stmt1 ..... &stmt2 ..... %mend; %doit(stmt1=%str(y=sqrt(y);), stmt2=%str(if y<2 then y=2;) ); with many other things you can do, e.g. conditional creating of statements, naming variables by parameters, create multiple statements with macro loops and much more. On the other hand: if you want to do such simple things like you wrote, avoid any %INC or %MACRO things! It is far more readable, if you don't use %INCLUDES. What do you think, that data-step will do: data a; %inc(inc1); %inc(inc2); %inc(inc3); run; ??? instead of: data a; set sashelp.class; if age>11 then age=11; keep name age; run; Gerhard On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 01:42:03 -0700, Joep Steeman <jsteeman@BUSINESSDECISION.COM> wrote: >On 9 jun, 09:20, zpe...@NATURE.BERKELEY.EDU (Zach Peery) wrote: >> Sorry to bug you all with such an easy one, but I havent had much luck >> with the usual help sources. >> >> I just want to run a sas program file within a sas program file. For >> example, in sas file 1 I want to set x equal to 2, then with file 2 >> invoked by file 1, I want to set y = 3. >> >> So sas file 1 looks like this... >> &g...

running a sas file within a sas file
Sorry to bug you all with such an easy one, but I havent had much luck with the usual help sources. I just want to run a sas program file within a sas program file. For example, in sas file 1 I want to set x equal to 2, then with file 2 invoked by file 1, I want to set y = 3. So sas file 1 looks like this... data data; x = 2; ***How do I invoke sas file 2 which sets y = 3 here???*** run; Thanks!!! On 9 jun, 09:20, zpe...@NATURE.BERKELEY.EDU (Zach Peery) wrote: > Sorry to bug you all with such an easy one, but I havent had much luck > with the usual help sources. > > I just want to run a sas program file within a sas program file. For > example, in sas file 1 I want to set x equal to 2, then with file 2 > invoked by file 1, I want to set y = 3. > > So sas file 1 looks like this... > > data data; > x = 2; > ***How do I invoke sas file 2 which sets y = 3 here???*** > run; > > Thanks!!! Here is a way. sas file 2 saved as your_file_location\inclfile2.sas: y = 3; sas file 1: data test; x = 2; %include 'your_file_location\inclfile2.sas'; put (_all_ ) (=); run; One could think macro, which could operate in much the same way, but can be more flexible. %macro setvar(v=y); &v = 3; %mend setvar; sas file 1: data test; x = 2; %setvar(v=z); put (_all_ ) (=); run; There are other ways as well. My question would be: why would you want this and in this way? Regards, Joep ...

Re: Is there a system option for OpenVMS SAS version 8 where a sas program can create an output file with a file attribute of "Stream_LF" so that these external files c
Charles Patridge <charles_s_patridge@PRODIGY.NET> wrote: > Is there a system option for OpenVMS SAS version 8 where a sas program can > create an output file with a file attribute of "Stream_LF" so that these > external files can be served through an Apache WebServer properly? > > Currently, what happens is when we create a CSV file, the Apache Webserver > wants to load the contents of this CSV file into a single cell for Excel. > That is, all OBS are treated as a SINGLE record and all the contents is > loaded into a single cell within Excel. > > T...

Re: converting sas transport files into sas datasets
Once you have assigned an xport libname you can read it in like a normal dataset. libname out xport 'C:\Documents and Settings\kdt\Desktop\class.xpt'; *- Create xport file; data out.class; set sashelp.class; run; *- Create work file from xport file; data work.class; set out.class; run; 2008/12/17 <pramila.sami@gmail.com>: > Hello All, > > Could anyone please give me the code for converting sas transport > files into sas datasets. thanks in advance. > ...

Re: View files with SAS extension in SAS explorer
The SAS explorer shows you sas datasets (.sas7bdat), not programs (.sas). Open program... wil let you open SAS programs (From the file menu). -Joe On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM, franwdwyer@googlemail.com < franwdwyer@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I'm just new to SAS and this list and have this question. > > If I create a new library in SAS Explorer and then I save some SAS > programs to it (.sas extension), how come I can't see these types of > file in the SAS Explorer? > > Thanks for any help, > > Fran > ...

Re: Opening non SAS files with BASE SAS ?
SYSTASK may be what you want. SYSTASK COMMAND "operating system-command" <WAIT | NOWAIT> <TASKNAME=taskname> <MNAME=name-var> <STATUS=stat-var> <SHELL<="shell-command">>; On 10/10/07, anderson115@gmail.com <anderson115@gmail.com> wrote: > Is there a function that executes a non SAS file? > > I've written a macro that outputs a file with the extention SQL (EXE > would also be helpful). > > *.SQL files are associated with SQL server on my computer so I'd like > to make SAS execute this file so it triggers the SQL server program. > > Is this possible? > > Thank You, > Aaron > ...

Re: Opening non SAS files with BASE SAS ? #2
Hi, If, when you check your licensing(i.e. SETINIT) proc setinit; run; in SAS, if you have SAS/ACC-ODBC, then you can easily setup an ODBC entry in your Windows ODBC Wizard to your SQL Server. After doing that you can run the SQL Server query from SAS directly to SQL Server and have the result come right directly back into SAS into a SAS dataset. See the couple archive links below for syntax details. http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0709C&L=sas-l&P=R12721 http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0105D&L=sas-l&P=R13103 The X command in SAS can run external commands but the SQL-passthrough is what most of us use. Hope this is helpful. Mark Terjeson Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R Russell Investments Russell Investments Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of anderson115@GMAIL.COM Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:43 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Opening non SAS files with BASE SAS ? Is there a function that executes a non SAS file? I've written a macro that outputs a file with the extention SQL (EXE would also be helpful). *.SQL files are associated with SQL server on my computer so I'd like to make SAS execute this file so it triggers the SQL server program. Is this possible? Thank You, Aaron ...

Is there a system option for OpenVMS SAS version 8 where a sas program can create an output file with a file attribute of "Stream_LF" so that these external files can b
To SAS-Lers (specifically OpenVMS Users), Is there a system option for OpenVMS SAS version 8 where a sas program can create an output file with a file attribute of "Stream_LF" so that these external files can be served through an Apache WebServer properly? Currently, what happens is when we create a CSV file, the Apache Webserver wants to load the contents of this CSV file into a single cell for Excel. That is, all OBS are treated as a SINGLE record and all the contents is loaded into a single cell within Excel. To fix this problem, we are able to use an "Convert/FDL" th...

Re: Unix SAS: How to save log file while in SAS session? #2
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:18:03 -0500, Duck-Hye Yang <dyang@CHAPINHALL.ORG> wrote: >Hello, > >I am using SAS Unix Display manager. >I put together single small sas programming files in one giant sas programming file. >I need to save log and output files AFTER each single small programming file. >The problem is that I do not know how to save log and output while in SAS session. > >Below is the outline of what I'd like to do: > > >DM 'clear log'; >DM 'clear output'; >SAS 1 programming start here >end here >x 'file "SAS...

Re: SAS executable files..
Ron, Part of the question was "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS program that can be run outside of the SAS environment?". Does this BI Server really do this? Does it create a file that I can then run on a machine that does not have SAS installed? Dennis Diskin On 4/26/05, Fehd, Ronald J <rjf2@cdc.gov> wrote: > > From: Christopher Amherst > > Or as asked by higher-ups: > > > > "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS program that can be > > run outside of the SAS environment?" > > > > So anyone know if it's possible to create an .exe file of > > compiled SAS code? > > > > If so, what does one need, and where can I find the reference > > materials to create it? > > Yes, The Next Big Thing from SAS > is the Business Intelligence Server > from which you can open The Software Cowboys word processor > and spreadsheet > the menu bar of which has a New&Improved SAS pick > underneath is a list of Stored Processes > tested programs which return their results > into your .doc or .xls > > marvelous? no?! > > your check-book should contain a comma followed by three zeros > for the following: > * hardware: server > * software > > SAS programs may be registered as a Stored Process > via Enterprise Guide > or by your resident Java server wizard. > > you can Google SAS Business Intelligence Server > and find this: &...

Re: Executable files in SAS
The 'runtime' here is not a royalty-free redistributable thing like a java or .net runtime though, right? End-users of the program need to have a full-blown sas install to run a sas program. -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Terjeson, Mark (IM&R) Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:37 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Executable files in SAS Hi Ranjan, No, not with just an executable name, however you can invoke the runtime and the sas program in one command as if from a command line or system call, which does the same job. Hope this is helpful. Mark Terjeson Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R Russell Investment Group Russell Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of ranjan Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:17 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Executable files in SAS Hi All I was wondering is there any way to have an executable file of a SAS program. Just like we have in C/C++ By executing which we can have the program executed. Regards ...

Re: Exporting a SAS data set to Text file on SAS unix #3
hi ... actually, what I posted earlier was too much code (sorry) this is enough (a bit more succinct) * variable names into a macro variable (tab separated); proc sql noprint; select name into :vars separated by '09'x from dictionary.columns where libname eq 'SASHELP' and memname eq 'CLASS' order varnum; quit; data _null_; file 'z:\class.txt' dsd dlm='09'x ; if _n_ eq 1 then put "&vars"; set sashelp.class; put (_all_) (:); run; -- Mike Zdeb U@Albany School of Public Health One University Place Rensselaer, New York 12144-3456 P/518-402...

Re: SAS file to SPSS file #3
Toby - I SPSS apparently reads an xport file, not a cport file - just use the xport engine: (found on SAS-L) libname tranfile xport 'c:\spss\tfile.dat' proc copy in=inlib out=tranfile memtype=data; select dfile; run; /* or however else you want to copy the data to the export library*/ In SPSS ------- get sas data='tfile.dat' hth Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: Toby Dunn [mailto:tdunn@OAKHILLTECH.COM] Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 9:13 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS file to SPSS file Has or does, anyone done or know, if you can take a SAS dataset and send it out as a SPSS file. I should mention that I am using an os/390 system. (just gotta love that big iron). Thanks in Advance. Toby Dunn Also, I believe SPSS can read an Excel spreadsheet transparently, so to speak. So, using ODS to create and Excel spreadsheet may be a viable option. Jules Bosch www.JBCDA.com -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Choate, Paul@DDS Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 12:25 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS file to SPSS file Toby - I SPSS apparently reads an xport file, not a cport file - just use the xport engine: (found on SAS-L) libname tranfile xport 'c:\spss\tfile.dat' proc copy in=inlib out=tranfile memtype=data; select dfile; run; /* or however else you want to copy the data to the export library*/ In SPSS -...

Re: How to convert SAS file to .v5x file?
Miranda - What application is a .v5x file? Are saying a SAS v5.18 file? Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: miranda [mailto:mixiao@UCLA.EDU] Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 3:05 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How to convert SAS file to .v5x file? Hi , Does anyone know how to alter SAS 8.2 data files to .v5x files? Thanks. ...

Re: PC SAS 9.1
> From: Jon Hayward > Is there a setting in PC SAS so that whichever directory I > save my .sas file to, SAS will automatically go there when I > want to save my .log and .lst files? > > Currently I must specify each location. While I am sure that > there is a reason for this, I am hoping that there might be a > setting to allow me to specify that I want SAS to remember my > current active location for the duration of that session... > So the next time I open SAS, I will perhaps save a different > .sas file to a different location and then SAS will know to >...

Re: PC SAS 9.1
Hi Jon, If you run SAS in batch mode the dir the .sas file is in will by default be the dir where the .log and .lst files will be left. Regards - Jim. -- Jim Groeneveld, Netherlands Statistician, SAS consultant home.hccnet.nl/jim.groeneveld My computer remains home while I will attend PhUSE 2006 in Dublin. On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:23:15 -0400, Jon Hayward <jhayward1@BABSON.EDU> wrote: >Hi - > >Is there a setting in PC SAS so that whichever directory I save my .sas >file to, SAS will automatically go there when I want to save my .log >and .lst files? > >Currently I must specify each location. While I am sure that there is a >reason for this, I am hoping that there might be a setting to allow me to >specify that I want SAS to remember my current active location for the >duration of that session... So the next time I open SAS, I will perhaps >save a different .sas file to a different location and then SAS will know >to go there to save the corresponding .log and .lst files. > >Thanks in advance for any insights. > >Jon ...

Re: MS/ACCESS file convert to SAS file,
On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 19:24:01 -0500, Little T <xiao.chacha@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >I use PC SAS import to read in a MS/ACCESS data and converted it into >SAS data in PC. I transfered it to UNIX to run my code. But the log in >said: "invalid header". Since PC SAS had no problem to run and output >a PROC CONTENTS list, I am confussed by this error. Why a MS/ACCESS >data converted by PC SAS can not be read in UNIX SAS? My hunch is that it has nothing to do with MS/ACCESS. Are you sure that you are using the appropriate engine for your UNIX platform? On the PC, try data MYLIB.class; set sashelp.class; run; where MYLIB is the same library you use for the data imported from MS/ACCESS. Then transfer mylib.class to the UNIX machine the same way you transferred the first data set. See how that works. ...

Re: How to convert SAS file to .v5x file? #2
As of version 7 SAS libraries were not backwards compatible (for writing) with version 5. If you have a third party application that needs a SASv5.18 file then you'll need to export from SAS to a different compatible filetype from that era such as CSV, WK1, or dbase that your application can import. Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: Choate, Paul@DDS [mailto:pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV] Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 3:36 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: How to convert SAS file to .v5x file? Miranda - What application is a .v5x file? Are saying a SAS v5.18 file? Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: miranda [mailto:mixiao@UCLA.EDU] Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 3:05 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How to convert SAS file to .v5x file? Hi , Does anyone know how to alter SAS 8.2 data files to .v5x files? Thanks. ...

Re: Exporting Sas file to a csv extension file
Randy, Remove the semicolon from the first line, plus you may need to add a dbms option. For example, try something like: proc export data = Datahave outfile = 'C:\dataneed.csv' DBMS=csv REPLACE; run; HTH, Art -------- On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:00:24 -0400, Randy <randistan69@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >I have to convert a sas data file to a csv format file >My code is > >proc export data = Datahave; >outfile = 'C:\dataneed.csv' ; >run; > >The log gives me an error message >ERROR: FILE= or TABLE= is required and must be specified. > >What is the mistake that I am making? ...

Re: How to change .xls files into .txt files in SAS
Hi Gadde, Can you just open them in Excel, do a SaveAs, change the filetype to .txt and click OK? or do you have so many files that you want to automate this process? Are you wanting SAS to find all the ..xls files in a directory and then convert and output them? SAS can do that. and if you have so many files, we have to ask if these are of "like" things, and would it not be better to have them consolidated, but of course we have no idea what you circumstances are. Hope this is helpful. Mark Terjeson Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R Russell Investment Group Russell Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of SUBSCRIBE SAS-L Chandra Gadde Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 11:57 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How to change .xls files into .txt files in SAS Hi All, I have several excel files saved in a directory. How can I change all the excel files into .txt files in SAS? Is there a way to do that? I think we can import one file at a time into SAS and then send them back as text files. Please help me if there is a possibility to do this. Thanks for the help Gadde ...

Re: sas data file --> excel file
I wrote a paper on doing this using Visual Studio Express for C# and reading the SAS dataset using OleDb. You can find the paper with step-by-step instructions here: http://www.savian.net/Utilities.aspx Several people have followed the steps with no issues. Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mindy Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 4:27 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: sas data file --> excel file Does any one know an easy way of transfer sas data file to excel file except EXPORT? we have DBMS engine, which is really easy to read excel file to SAS, but I don't know if that engine is helpful to export SAS data file to excel file. Any comments are welcome. Thanks. Mindy ...

Re: SAS file to SPSS file #4 1541682
Two ideas spring to mind... Can you bring across the CNTLOUT file from the format and then apply the information in SPSS? Or what about using the formats to create new formatted variables? Newvar=put(oldvar,$format.); Any other ideas? Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: edwardsm@UOGUELPH.CA [mailto:edwardsm@UOGUELPH.CA] Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 9:44 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS file to SPSS file Good day all! I'd just like to add a little note to the transition from SAS to SPSS datafiles. We use DBMSengines here on Campus to move from SAS to SPSS... HOWEVER..... I have not found a way to maintain the library formats in SAS when moving to SPSS. I can select SPSS sav files or SPSS por files - either way it does not maintain the variable value labels. Has anyone else encountered this and maybe found a way around it? SAS suggested I tried DBMS Copy on my SUN system to accomplish this... Thanks, Michelle ___________________________________ A. Michelle Edwards, Ph.D. Academic Services, CCS Vehicle Services Bldg, University of Guelph Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1 PH: (519) 824-4120 Ext. 54539 FAX: (519) 767-1620 Email: edwardsm@uoguelph.ca ___________________________________ ...

Re: SAS executable files.. #7
Yes and no. :-) with the BI server, you propose to reach SAS dataset or stored process without SAS client. You pc need the .dll to add a menu 'SAS solutions' into excel or word to execute the program or see the table. with the portal information (entreprise bi server, financial Management...) you can propose a suitable way to use SAS by IE, but you can't imagine to work freely (create a program do what you want...) But I agree, you can't compile a .sas and call it in another environment as you can do with a C program. St�phane. ----Message d'origine---- >Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:24:37 -0400 >De: Dennis Diskin <ddiskin@GMAIL.COM> >Sujet: Re: SAS executable files.. >A: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > >Ron, > >Part of the question was "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS >program that can be run outside of the SAS environment?". Does this BI >Server really do this? Does it create a file that I can then run on a >machine that does not have SAS installed? > >Dennis Diskin > > >On 4/26/05, Fehd, Ronald J <rjf2@cdc.gov> wrote: >> > From: Christopher Amherst >> > Or as asked by higher-ups: >> > >> > "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS program that can be >> > run outside of the SAS environment?" >> > >> > So anyone know if it's possible to create an .exe file of >> > compiled SAS code? >...

Web resources about - Re: Executing separate SAS File from Main SAS File - comp.soft-sys.sas

Self-executing rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The self-executing rule , also known as " deem and pass ", is procedural measure used by the U.S. House of Representatives to approve legislation. ...

'What use will executing us be?': Bali Nine member Myuran Sukumaran speaks out after bid for clemency ...
Myuran Sukumaran is one step closer to the firing squad after the Indonesian president rejected his clemency bid.

Parramatta shooting: police leave empty-handed after executing search warrant at mosque
Police executed a search warrant at a Parramatta mosque overnight as part of their investigations into the fatal shooting on Friday of a civilian ...

US states having trouble executing their citizens
Despite a Supreme Court ruling allowing a controversial drug to be used for lethal injections in Oklahoma, death-penalty states are finding it ...

Islamic State video purports to show boy executing 'Russian spies'
Islamic State releases video that purports to show a young boy executing two men accused of working for Russian intelligence.

Purported video shows ISIS executing Syrian soldiers in Palmyra
The Islamic State group posted a video online on Saturday showing Islamic State fighters killing some 25 Syrian government soldiers in the historic ...

New iOS security exploit lets apps read users’ information by executing unsigned code
Security expert Charlie Miller has found a flaw in code signing on iOS devices (via Forbes) that allows developers to sneak malware apps onto ...

Law Journal Apologizes For Article About Executing Law Professors, Professor Resigns
Insane law review article prompts professor's resignation... but how did he get hired in the first place?