Re: Faster SAS processing --in parallel?--

Dear SAS-L-ers,

Rick posted the following interesting question:

> I'm rather *new* in SAS-land so please humor my lacking
> "SAS-code lingo"
>
> I've got a HUGE piece of SAS code that I've written for
> work...and I'm trying to clean it up to get it to run faster.
> I was *thinking*:
>
> In SQL, you can run a "SET CURRENT DEGREE=ANY" to utilize
> parallelism in a DB2 server and allow up to 64 instructions
> to be run at the same time. I typically only get 20-30
> degrees of parallelism each time, but it cuts a 20-30 minute
> SQL query to 1 min or less...
>
> Now, with my SQL example in mind, Is there some kind of SAS
> command to run different DATA steps (on different tables) in
> parallel (ie. utilizing more of the CPU) rather than in sequence?

Rick, you speak-a our lingo just fine!  I see that KrzysOPoranku has already
pointed you in the direction that my own personal compass would have
pointed.  I am going to expand upon that post by suggesting the following
URL's.

I absolutely _LOVE_ the Scalability Community Web pages on the SAS Web Site:

        http://support.sas.com/rnd/scalability/

....you can get a lot of good ideas there.

The papers that I find the most interesting are those from long-time
SAS/Connect Guru (and I believe product manager) Cheryl Doninger:

        Multiprocessing With Version 8 of the SAS System:

        http://support.sas.com/rnd/scalability/papers/mpconnect0401.pdf

        The %Distribute System for Large-Scale Parallel Computation in the
SAS System:

        http://support.sas.com/rnd/scalability/papers/distConnect0401.pdf

        Developing Client/Server Applications to Maximize SAS 9 Parallel
Capabilities

        http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi28/279-28.pdf

        Up and Out: Where We're Going With Scalability in SAS Version 9

        http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi27/p279-27.pdf

Long-time SAS developer extraordinaire Bill Clifford also offers this paper
on the SAS SPDS product:

        Scalable Access to SAS Data:

        http://support.sas.com/rnd/papers/sugi27/scalable_access.pdf

Now, most of those papers are based upon utilizing the SAS/Connect product.
Thus, if you do not have SAS/Connect, then you cannot take advantage of the
methodologies and clever tricks outlined within them.  Also, these
methodologies take advantage of SAS data being processed in parallel on
multiple servers.  So, if you are in a single-server SAS computing
environment, then this will not be a reasonable way to go.

Rick, if you do have SAS/Connect then you can't do better than read and
reread the papers mentioned above.  I have them all in a 3-ring binder, and
I just may get them autographed at the next SUGI:-)

Best of luck to you on SAS parallelism in particular and the SAS world in
general!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect
those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies
specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty
is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding
to use information in this posting do so at their own risk.

Michael A. Raithel
"The man who wrote the book on performance"
E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com
Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the MVS Environment
http://www.sas.com/apps/pubscat/bookdetails.jsp?catid=1&pc=55231
Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich - Men At Work
(Down Under, from Business As Usual)

RAITHEM (53)