Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions

Without having enough time to analyze excatly, what are your needs:
if there are no important reasons why the data must be keept in MS Access:
why you don't keep it all in SAS? If you are analyzing in SAS, there is no
real reason to have any other DB to hold the data.
For users you have many possibilities to give them comfortable possibilities
to enter data, in or outside SAS. In SAS, the most easy idea is to use
SAS/FSP. But that is not necessary. You can use nearly any tool for data
entry and bring the (standard formatted) data into SAS.
To get a consultant for realizing a proper solution might be a good idea. It
sometime is not easy trying to learn to program in SAS by developing a
productive solution, because it might be not easy to get it in time with all
the obstacles, there might be in your way. If you have time (and money)
enough, you should take the chance to learn how to do some steps further in
SAS programming together with a good consultant.

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:26:59 -0500, Rob Cheshire <rob.cheshire@NOAA.GOV> wrote:

>Hi to all,
>        I need some help deciding on the best database system for our
>specific application.
>OPTIONAL INFO:  We currently have 2 separate projects that need to be
>updated from dos-based dBase.  I'll only describe one of these but the
>other is comparable in size.  The project currently has about 32
>files.  The 2 largest are about 30,000 records and 5 columns include
>data from the last 30 years.  The other 30 files are created by year
>and are about 1000 records and 10 columns.  There are only 2 or 3
>people keying in data, never at the same time.  We also have a sonic
>digitizer (measures distance between age rings on fish scales) from
>which data is fed into the dBase form.  I think the data transfer
>program is written in C and the dBase form is written in Clipper. We
>currently have MS Access and SAS.  My suggestion was to design the
>same type of user entry forms in MS Access and place the files on a
>shared drive on our network server (already in place and routinely
>backed up).  If the amount of data or number of users increased we
>could consider going to a database server with Access as the "front
>end."  Most of the analysis is performed in SAS which can readily
>import Access tables.
>I was met with some opposition:
>SAS/MS ACCESSS/SERVER QUESTIONS:
>There was a strong objection to using ODBC to get data into SAS (when
>discussing database servers).  Does SAS Import wizard use ODBC? Are
>there inherent problems with ODBC?  Is there any advantage to having
>data analyzed in SAS in SAS data sets?  Any problems adding a database
>server in the future?
>SAS QUESTIONS:
>Some of the work creating the SAS data entry forms is already
>completed (by someone outside our agency who is unavailable now).  I
>did not know SAS even had database  software until I started on this
>project.  I currently have used SAS only for statistics and have only
>the intro. Programming course.  What SAS training would I need to get
>up to speed on creating forms and using SAS to manage this type of
>database?  The SAS packages we currently have are:  STAT, AF, ETS,
>IML, SHARE GIS, SHARE*NET, INTEGRATION TECH.,APPDEV STUDIO, AND
>ACC/ORACLE.  Would we need to purchase other packages to use SAS as
>our database software?
>
>The last piece of advice given to me at the meeting was "keep it
>simple."  Obviously I am not a database administrator (nor am I paid
>like one).  I am an entry level biologist that has used MS Access to
>manage a desktop database.  I don't mind learning the SAS database
>system if it provides a better solution.  OR IS THERE A BETTER
>SOLUTION OUT THERE?  Should we consider hiring a consultant?
>I am posting this to both the SAS and ACCESS user groups to get the
>range of responses.
>Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post,
>Rob
0
ghellrieg (838)

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #3
Rob: MS Access imports data easily from dBase (*.dbf) files. I see no advantage in moving to SAS for that feature, especially if you would prefer to use the basic DE form controls in MS Access to develop what should be a simple DE capability. Although ODBC transfers of data from MS Access (*.mdb) databases has some pitfalls, as does OLEdb or other middleware (in particular, conversions of integers to floating point numbers, date/time values, and nulls/missings), a bit of Q/C will help you iron out the wrinkles and set up a reliable connection. It often helps as well to separate a data collecti...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #2
You're describing my project with the Department of Education! We had a dbase database and used a Clipper application to massage it into 'presentable' form. And I thought I was on the bleeding edge (back edge, that is) 8 years ago. As with everything, it depends on what your main purpose is. In my case, it was to disseminate the information to as many people as possible in a format that could be read by/into as many applications as possible. So, we converted our data to flat files and supplied an 'application' that generated sas code that would read the flat files into...

help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions
Hi to all, I need some help deciding on the best database system for our specific application. OPTIONAL INFO: We currently have 2 separate projects that need to be updated from dos-based dBase. I'll only describe one of these but the other is comparable in size. The project currently has about 32 files. The 2 largest are about 30,000 records and 5 columns include data from the last 30 years. The other 30 files are created by year and are about 1000 records and 10 columns. There are only 2 or 3 people keying in data, never at the same time. We also have a sonic digitizer (measures...

help MS ACCESS\SAS, general database questions
Hi to all, I need some help deciding on the best database system for our specific application. OPTIONAL INFO: We currently have 2 separate projects that need to be updated from dos-based dBase. I'll only describe one of these but the other is comparable in size. The project currently has about 32 files. The 2 largest are about 30,000 records and 5 columns include data from the last 30 years. The other 30 files are created by year and are about 1000 records and 10 columns. There are only 2 or 3 people keying in data, never at the same time. We also have a sonic digitizer (measures...

License question SAS/SHARE and SAS/ACCESS vs. SAS/IntrNet
Hello, I was wondering if any of you experienced SAS users could help. My small clin. software company is in the process of reviewing their SAS license, i.e. finding a cheaper solution than the constellation we are currently using: SAS / ACCESS + SAS / Share + SAS / Connect + SAS / IntrNet Our SAS server is currently handling some (not all) reporting duties for the main J2EE-type application that has a back-end DB2 database. We are using SAS/ACCESS to copy our db2 tables and then performing roll-ups / summaries and proc means in batch at night. SAS then delivers tabulated reports and gra...

Re: Mainframe SAS to PC located MS ACCESS database
As is so common in this language, the answer is 'it depends on what you're trying to do'. You can establish an odbc connection from a host job to your SQL Server db (fairly sure it can do Access, too), but 1) your login info is exposed in open code (and while you can do some things to hide it, it's still out there (it's not encrypted)), and 2) if you're transmitting large volumes of data, odbc is not very efficient. If you're only going after a few rows of data, and you don't mind a potential exposure of your credentials, then go the odbc route (this also assu...

Re: SAS 9.1.2 difference from SAS 8.2 Proc import from MS Access
Hi, We are having the same problems. We have some macros that are srewed up. Is there a way to configure SAS 9 so that it can use version 8 values when importing from MS access? Thanks very much. wz ...

Re: SAS Access to PC File Formats, Access to Oracle (or ODBC) and SAS-ODBC
You can also push SAS data to other formats, such as Excel, using DDE, which works with Base SAS. -----Original Message----- From: PD [mailto:SOPHE88@YAHOO.COM] Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 5:54 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS Access to PC File Formats, Access to Oracle (or ODBC) and SAS-ODBC I saw a price quote today for one PC SAS license on Windows. Among others, it says SAS/ACCESS to PC File Formats $1600 SAS/ACCESS to Oracle (or ODBC) $1600 I am confused about several things. I hope I can get some help from this group. 1. I have been under ...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name
i am not sure if SAS will support long file name if you use libname. a workaround is to use passthrough. On Jan 16, 2008 12:31 PM, JKamgang@Yahoo.com <JBKamgang@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > > > > Happy New Year , > > > > Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS > Access > table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 > databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I > don't want to rename manually the table names. > > > > Please find the progra...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name #2
Hi Jean, It looks like your problem is that you've got a quote in a table name: Additional'n=20 If it is possible to rename that table, that might work. =20 Also, if you use the import feature in SAS, it will write code for you = that you can save and put in a program- you might try that to see if it = can handle this kind of file name. I'd rename the table in Access, = though- a quote in a table name is likely to contiously cause you = problems. -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: JKamgang@Yahoo.com=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Wednesday, January 16...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name #3
Jean - Unfortunately you are stuck - SAS only allows dataset names up to 32 bytes long - using name literals or conventional names. Defining short-named queries of your tables within MSAccess is a very good idea. The SAS libname engine will read the queries as tables and it doesn't necessitate changing your table names. Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of JKamgang@Yahoo.com Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:32 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How to access automatically in...

Re: sas Access question???
Hi I would rather say (not 100% sure) you are using SAS/ACCESS to access NOT native SAS databases and you are using SAS/SHARE when you create a library with Data Library manager SAS MANAGEMENT CONSOLE (SMC) plug-in. Daniel Fernandez. Barcelona. -----Mensaje original----- De: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] En nombre de giorgio taddia Enviado el: dimecres, 28 / octubre / 2009 17:36 Para: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Asunto: sas Access question??? Good morning Id like to be sure about one sas 91 platform.. When i declare a library in the management console and the data source is ...

Re: SAS and MS Access
If you don't then you could perhaps consider bolting on your own JDBC interface in Java? (JDBC is free SAS ACCESS to PC is not...) On Thu, 6 May 2004 07:27:13 +0100, =?iso-8859-1?q?Ari=20Toikka?= <toikkari@YAHOO.CO.UK> wrote: >Hi, > >if you have ACCESS to PC Data files licensed, >you can use the import / export wizards (File / Import Data) >You can then save the generated program, which >might look for example like this: > >Proc import out = sasuser.test > datatable="h456test" > dbms =ACCESS97 replace; > DATABASE="T:\h345t...

Re: SAS to MS Access
> From: Zhang, Jianying [mailto:Jianying.Zhang@UMASSMED.EDU] > Is there a way to create a MS Access table from SAS without > going through generating a text file or Excel table? yes: check our most excellent archives: http://www.listserv.uga.edu/archives/sas-l.html search for: SAS2MDB substring search: (X) subject contains: author's address: RJF2 since: Jun 2002 Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2@cdc.gov ...

Re: SAS -> MySQL without SAS/ACCESS
XML, OleDb driver for SAS (free), ODBC driver from SAS (free). SAS/Access is only required to get data from a source, not the other way around. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of RolandRB Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 1:50 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Q: SAS -> MySQL without SAS/ACCESS What is the easiest and neatest way to get a sas data set into MySQL without using SAS/ACCESS? I am hoping there are some useful URLs for this. ...

Re: old SAS guy with new SAS question
> -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On > Behalf Of John F. Regus > Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:19 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: old SAS guy with new SAS question > > You three were of the most help to an old man in simplifying > how to get output from my PC file into a SAS dataset. > However, when I did use the INPUT statement I coded INPUT $. > thinking this would put everything into its natural place in > the output SAS table. Wrong. It only got the first variable > of 5 character...

Re: old SAS guy with new SAS question #3
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:33:21 -0800, Daniel Nordlund <djnordlund@VERIZON.NET> wrote: >> -----Original Message----- >> From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On >> Behalf Of John F. Regus >> Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:19 PM >> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >> Subject: old SAS guy with new SAS question >> >> You three were of the most help to an old man in simplifying >> how to get output from my PC file into a SAS dataset. >> However, when I did use the INPUT statement I coded INPUT $. >> thinking thi...

Re: SAS/Warehouse Administrator Problem?? or SAS/ACCESS problem??
I'm pretty sure that behind the scenes SAS/Warehouse Administrator is generating and running SQL code. If you can expose that code and post it here it might help. On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:53:41 -0700, saivs28@GMAIL.COM wrote: >hello, > >I've built a process in SAS/Warehouse Administrator, where i'm trying >to extract distinct cities from the 3 tables(source schema) in Oracle >into a new table (target schema) called CITY and again into UniqueCity >(target schema) bcos of some redundancy. The process looks like this. > > Unique ...

Re: SAS to MS Word help
How are you inserting it?, is it manually or using DDE or ODS, can you show us your SAS code?. Prasad Ravi DEBORAH GOODFELLOW <happydebb@MSN.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Sent by: "SAS(r) cc: Discussion" Subject: SAS to MS Word help <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.E DU> 08/11/2003 10:53 AM Please respond to DEBORAH GOODFELL...

Re: A question on SAS help example
Thanks. Yes, according to the description of "outer union corr", it only overlays the columns with the same name. Date1 and Date2 are columns with different names, so they should not be overlaid. On 9/12/05, Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org> <nospam@howles.com> wrote: > The result you got is what one would predict. > > The table presented by SAS is what results from coding > > union all > > in place of > > outer union corr > > Looks to me like an editing goof. > > On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:10:16 -0400, Junwu Shen <jxs705@G...

Re: SAS and MS Access #4
Peter, If you want to access the tables rather than copy the data to SAS, and you have ACCESS to PC Data Files licensed as Ari mentioned, you can use a LIBNAME statement. LibName yourMdb odbc complete="dsn=MS Access Database;dbq=your data file" ; You might have problems with names of tables and variables; Access is much more open about that than SAS. If so, try the VALIDVARNAME=ANY system option and name literals -- e.g. "Cost in $"n Ed Edward Heaton, SAS Senior Systems Analyst, Westat (An Employee-Owned Research Corporation), 1600 Research Boulevard, RW-3541, Rockvil...

Re: sas macro question help
> From: yz > Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:02 AM > Subject: sas macro question help > > I have a big dataset with about 1000 categorical variables. In many of > these categorical vairiables, one level could have a higher percentage > of the file. For example, in the field of "Education", there are 3 > levels: A,B and C. A has 98% of the file, and B,C combined only has > about 2% of file. I want to write a program to output the names of > those variables to a file. I will be using sas base/stat/macro. Could > you please give me some ideas about ...

Re: SAS and MS Access #3
DDE works. Here is an example: filename ecw dde "msaccess|ecw;view For Publication!all" lrecl=2000 notab; data ecw; infile ecw firstobs=2 dsd dlm='09'x missover; input country : $60. [etc.] ; [etc.] A serious problem arises if there are newlines within text fields. If they are not masked somehow, they are interpreted as end-of-record indicators, which makes a real mess of things.. If there are simple ways to mask newlines, in either direction (Access to SAS or SAS to Access), I don't know them. In the example above, I am reading a view which I creat...

Re: SAS and MS Access #2
On Wed, 5 May 2004 23:33:43 -0400, Peter Hruby <hrubyp@SYMPATICO.CA> wrote: >Hi SAS-L, > >I am wondering what choice do I have to access tables in MS Access datbase. >Can I use SAS/Access to ODBC or SAS/Access to PC Files or DDE or WB scripts? >I appreciate any experience and examples. Hi, Peter, If you have SAS/Access OLE DB, then it gives you more control. The following code shows that you can use an access table as if it is a sas dataset. If field name has embedded blanks, you can use something like, 'field name'n as the variable name. dbmax_text dataset opti...

Web resources about - Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions - comp.soft-sys.sas

Felling of Coolbellup 'king jarrah' raises questions over Main Roads processes
The felling of an ancient jarrah tree in Coolbellup - an act a biologist likened to "burning the Mona Lisa" - has raised questions about who ...

Questions linger after mysterious death of wife of Nauru's Justice Minister
The shocking death of the wife of Nauru's Justice Minister continues to haunt the tiny island nation.

The favorite job interview questions of Elon Musk, Richard Branson, and 26 other highly successful executives ...
Savvy executives know that interview questions like, "What's your biggest strength?" and, "What's your biggest weakness?" aren't as telling as ...

Toys ‘R’ Us Stops Selling Hoverboards Amid Safety Questions
Just days after federal safety regulators urged retailers and manufacturers to remove so-called hoverboards from their shelves if they don’t ...

Former NFL Player Tweets Out The INSANE Questions He Was Asked By NFL Scouts
Former NFL Player Tweets Out The INSANE Questions He Was Asked By NFL Scouts

Former NFL Player Reveals Bonkers Questions He Was Asked At NFL Scouting Combine
If there’s one thing the NFL scouting combine is good for, it’s putting NFL prospects in contact with crazy people who think asking deeply benign ...

Question of the Day: Why Aren’t You Buying the Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 Edge, or LG G5?
We ran a poll recently, asking which new flagship device you planned on picking up. Somewhat surprisingly, out of nearly 7,000 voters, the majority ...

The X-Files Finale Cliffhanger: Chris Carter Urges Fans "Don't Give Up" and Answers Burning Questions ...
E! Online The X-Files Finale Cliffhanger: Chris Carter Urges Fans "Don't Give Up" and Answers Burning Questions E! Online The X-Files is done. ...

Never Ask Job Applicants Any Question You Won't Answer Yourself
A job interview is a two-way street. Don't ask a job applicant questions you wouldn't be happy to answer for him or her, yourself!