From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
JKamgang@Yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:32 AM
To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name which
has more than 32 characters?

Dear All,

            Happy New Year ,

 Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS
Access
table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5
databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I
don't want to rename manually the table names.

Please find the program below.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance,

Jean Baptiste

The program:

- - -

options VALIDVARNAME=ANY ;

libname DBsource access 'S:\Data
Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007
Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb';

/* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */

data* pedResultadd ;

set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep =

testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text

);
*

run*;

- - - The log - -

1636

1637 /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */

1638

1639 data pedResultadd ;

1640 set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep =

ERROR 211-185: Invalid data set name.

1641

1642 testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text

1643 );

Jean Baptiste,

---

Jean Baptiste KAMGANG,

Lead Data Manager - CDC Cameroon

US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Mutengene, SouthWest Province Cameroon, Africa

E mail: JBKamgang@cm.cdc.gov.

Tel: + 237 3 335 1690

Fax: + 237  3 335 1692

Cell: + 237 9 984 79 14

---

..
0
pchoate (2538)

Dear Paul, Mary, Liu, &  All,

   Thank you for your assistance.

   Yes, to solve this issue, I created a Ms Access Query with shorter
name, which was linked to the table.And then in the program I used the
query name instead of the table name. This works. Thank you once
again.

=3D =3D =3D
The query in Ms Access
Qry_Tbl_PatHIVResultAdd

---
SELECT tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional.studyid,
tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional.labid,
tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional.testid,
tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional.i2,
tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional.i2_da,
tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional.i2_mo,
tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional.i2_yr,
tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional.i2a,
tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional.i2b,
tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional.i2btxt
FROM tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional;
---

The final SAS Code and log:

---

1218 data pedResultadd ;

1219 set dbsource.Qry_Tbl_PatHIVResultAdd (keep =3D

1220

1221 testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2btxt

1222 );

1223

1224 run;

NOTE: There were 235 observations read from the data set

DBSOURCE.Qry_Tbl_PatHIVResultAdd.

NOTE: The data set WORK.PEDRESULTADD has 235 observations and 10
variables.

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time 0.04 seconds

cpu time 0.03 seconds

 ---

Thank you all for supporting me.

May all have a nice day!

Bye!

Jean Baptiste,

On Jan 16, 9:26=A0pm, pcho...@DDS.CA.GOV ("Choate, Paul@DDS") wrote:
> Jean -
>
> Unfortunately you are stuck - SAS only allows dataset names up to 32
> bytes long - using name literals or conventional names. =A0Defining
> short-named queries of your tables within MSAccess is a very good idea.
> The SAS libname engine will read the queries as tables and it doesn't
> necessitate changing your table names.
>
> Paul Choate
> DDS Data Extraction=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0(916)=A0654-2=
160=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0

JKamgang (3)

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name
i am not sure if SAS will support long file name if you use libname. a workaround is to use passthrough. On Jan 16, 2008 12:31 PM, JKamgang@Yahoo.com <JBKamgang@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > > > > Happy New Year , > > > > Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS > Access > table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 > databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I > don't want to rename manually the table names. > > > > Please find the program below. > > > > Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, > > > > Jean Baptiste > > > > The program: > > - - - > > > > options VALIDVARNAME=ANY ; > > libname DBsource access 'S:\Data > Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 > Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; > > /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > > > data* pedResultadd ; > > set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = > > testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text > > ); > * > > run*; > > - - - The log - - > > 1636 > > 1637 /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ > > 1638 > > 1639 data pedResultadd ; > > 1640 set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional...

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name #2
Hi Jean, It looks like your problem is that you've got a quote in a table name: Additional'n=20 If it is possible to rename that table, that might work. =20 Also, if you use the import feature in SAS, it will write code for you = that you can save and put in a program- you might try that to see if it = can handle this kind of file name. I'd rename the table in Access, = though- a quote in a table name is likely to contiously cause you = problems. -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: JKamgang@Yahoo.com=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:31 AM Subject: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name = which has more than 32 characters? Dear All, Happy New Year , Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I don't want to rename manually the table names. Please find the program below. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, Jean Baptiste The program: - - - options VALIDVARNAME=3DANY ; libname DBsource access 'S:\Data Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ data* pedResultadd ; set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTest...

How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters?
Dear All, Happy New Year , Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS Access table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I don't want to rename manually the table names. Please find the program below. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance, Jean Baptiste The program: - - - options VALIDVARNAME=ANY ; libname DBsource access 'S:\Data Management\External\Projects\MTCT-Plus\MTCT-Plus November 2007 Data\Programs\Data\MTCT-PlusData All.mdb'; /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ data* pedResultadd ; set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text ); * run*; - - - The log - - 1636 1637 /* Creating the Pediatric HIV result information additional */ 1638 1639 data pedResultadd ; 1640 set dbsource.'tblInfantHIVTestResultsAdditional'n (keep = --------------------------------------------- 211 ERROR 211-185: Invalid data set name. 1641 1642 testid studyid labid i2 i2_da i2_mo i2_yr i2a i2b i2text 1643 ); Jean Baptiste, --- Jean Baptiste KAMGANG, Lead Data Manager - CDC Cameroon US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Mutengene, SouthWest Province Cameroon, Africa E mail: JBKamgang@cm.cdc.gov. Tel: + 237 3 335 1690 Fax: + 237 3 335 1692 Cell: + 237 9 984 79 14 --- .. Ca...

Re: SAS/ACCESS Libname: Reading Tables with Names Longer than 32 #3
Dan, If you're correct he could capture the original name, use the Window's ren command to shorten it, and then reset the true filename. Art ------- On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:56:29 -0700, Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) <NordlDJ@DSHS.WA.GOV> wrote: >> -----Original Message----- >> From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of >> Arthur Tabachneck >> Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:39 PM >> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >> Subject: Re: SAS/ACCESS Libname: Reading Tables with Names Longer than 32 >> Characters >> >>...

Re: IMPORTING MS ACCESS DB TABLES INTO SAS
> -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On > Behalf Of Kevin F. Spratt > Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 2:07 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: IMPORTING MS ACCESS DB TABLES INTO SAS > > I have a project in which much of the data has been entered into a MS > Access database. > > I have used Stat/Transfer version 7 to import the tables and > this works in that > all of the variables are read in with the labels specified within the > data base. > Variables with "internal' SAS formats (e.g., MMDDYY8.) are > also attached. > > However, when I import the tables using sas proc import, I > get the data and > the "internal SAS formats, but none of the labels. The SAS online > documentation > for Proc Import has not been very helpful. For example, I somehow > (probably from > the list) learned to include the usedate=yes option to remove the > time part of a > data when importing, but this option is not in the proc > import documentation. > > Since there are a lot of tables, I would prefer to use SAS import, or > some other SAS procedure (e.g., ODBC?) to get the data, but I would > like to obtain both > the labels and have both the internal SAS formats and the MS > Access defined > relationships between values and their meanings(e.g., Sex 1=Male > 2=Female -9=missing) > used to create study specific SAS forma...

Re: MS Access
Thanks Joe! Your posts always offer good info and they help me learn a lot. I only tried the data step update because it was something I read about in one of the many helpful SAS papers out there. That explains the log 'replace' note versus an 'update' note. So, here's what I did. I made a little temp data set with 2 obs and 3 variables: State_Project_Number Report_Month Payment_Disburse 0005-05-101 06-2009 111111 0008-14-110 06-2009 111111 Next, used SQL (my SQL knowledge being very limited): PROC SQL; UPDATE RADS.MONTHLY_S...

Re: from SAS to MS Access without Proc Export #3
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:03:59 -0500, Bill Droogendyk <bill_droogendyk@DOFASCO.CA> wrote: >Folks: > >I've an application running from my PC via SAS Connect to the Mainframe >that harvests some MF data, downloads the data and uses proc export to >build an MS Access file. Now and again, the app fails due to a glitch >on our PC network. I'm doing it this way because we don't have proc >export on the MF. > >I can produce xl files from the MF to the PC network with ODS, html and >ftp. MS Access imports xl files quite readily, but xl files do have a ...

Re: Exporting Multiple SAS files to MS Access #3
thanks so much Paul, worked great! ...

Re: help SAS/MS ACCESS, general database questions #3
Rob: MS Access imports data easily from dBase (*.dbf) files. I see no advantage in moving to SAS for that feature, especially if you would prefer to use the basic DE form controls in MS Access to develop what should be a simple DE capability. Although ODBC transfers of data from MS Access (*.mdb) databases has some pitfalls, as does OLEdb or other middleware (in particular, conversions of integers to floating point numbers, date/time values, and nulls/missings), a bit of Q/C will help you iron out the wrinkles and set up a reliable connection. It often helps as well to separate a data collecti...

Re: SAS table locked
All, At one time or another either side could have a failure. The frequency of update and reading essentially boils down to simultaneous access and hence you need a product that supports multiple concurrent read/write access. That means something like SAS/Share, SPDS Server, or a RDBMS (e.g. Oracle, DB2, Sybase, SQL Server, even Access). If you don't want to go in that direction, then the only other solution I can think of is to put the AF application into a loop, which you already have. An David make a very good point. At the top of the loop, try to open the dataset. If you can't th...

Re: SAS/ACCESS Libname: Reading Tables with Names Longer than 32 #6
Does this LIBNAME option have any effect on your problem? preserve_tab_names=yes On 8/27/09, Paul Miller <pjmiller_57@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi Dan, and Art, and others, > > Yes, the problem is that the SQL Server table names are too long. My libname > > libname sqllib oledb provider=SQLOLEDB datasource='xxxx' user=xxxx password=xxxx properties=("Initial Catalog"=xxxx) > prompt=yes schema=dbo dbmax_text=32767; > > only allows me to read tables with names up to 32 characters long. > > The problem is that I'm routinely receiving SQl Server...

Re: SAS/access for Oracle and MS SQL server are different license? #3
Thanks Michael, But SAS/Access to ODBC or SAS/Access to OLE DB are also need to be licensed right? Looks like we don't have them either. Are there other options? On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:37:28 -0400, Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM> wrote: >Dear SAS-L-ers, > >Ya Huang posted this interesting question: > >> Hi there, >> >> I ran proc setinit and see we have SAS/ACCESS Interface to >> ORACLE, but not MS SQL server. Does it mean we need to pay >> the license of SQL server in order to access SQL server? I >> see people sometimes simply say "SAS/access for RDBMS", does >> it mean all RDBMS (Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, MySQL etc.) are >> under one umbrella, so that you only need to pay SAS/access for RDBMS? >> >Ya, here at SAS Mecca a number of folks use SAS/Access to ODBC or SAS/Access to OLE DB to access and crunch data stored in SQL Server databases. Seeing as you do not have SAS/Access to MS SQL, perhaps you have one of the aforementioned products... If so, then you should be good- to-go. If not, then it is time for Plan B... which will require the presence of your company's accountants:-( > >Ya, best of luck in all of your SAS endeavors! > > >I hope that this suggestion proves helpful now, and in the future! > >Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or meth...

Re: SAS and MS Access
If you don't then you could perhaps consider bolting on your own JDBC interface in Java? (JDBC is free SAS ACCESS to PC is not...) On Thu, 6 May 2004 07:27:13 +0100, =?iso-8859-1?q?Ari=20Toikka?= <toikkari@YAHOO.CO.UK> wrote: >Hi, > >if you have ACCESS to PC Data files licensed, >you can use the import / export wizards (File / Import Data) >You can then save the generated program, which >might look for example like this: > >Proc import out = sasuser.test > datatable="h456test" > dbms =ACCESS97 replace; > DATABASE="T:\h345t...

Re: SAS access to Oracle tables
If you are only accessing Oracle from your Windows session, then assign the libraries at startup from the new library window in SAS Explorer. The passwords will be hidden in the SAS Registry. -----Original Message----- From: Skinner, Deborah [mailto:Deborah.Skinner@US.FORTIS.COM] Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 3:38 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS access to Oracle tables - method to avoid having id's and passwords embedded in code??? We are implementing SAS 8.2 in a Windows Server environment and have licensed the SAS/Access to Oracle product. The vast majority of our SAS c...

Re: SAS -> MySQL without SAS/ACCESS
XML, OleDb driver for SAS (free), ODBC driver from SAS (free). SAS/Access is only required to get data from a source, not the other way around. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of RolandRB Sent: Friday, June 13, 2008 1:50 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Q: SAS -> MySQL without SAS/ACCESS What is the easiest and neatest way to get a sas data set into MySQL without using SAS/ACCESS? I am hoping there are some useful URLs for this. ...

Re: SAS/Access Opinions #3
Ken, Use OleDb. There is no Access to SQL Server for Windows and ODBC is your only option. Speed-wise, they are about the same but OleDb is more modern and you will find less issues with it. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ken Barz Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 10:41 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS/Access Opinions It looks like we're finally going to leap into the 20th century (21st maybe some day) and get the ability to have our SAS connect to a real-live database. We know we're going to connect to a SQL Server database. However, we're making another purchase that may wind up sitting on Oracle. I've worked before with the ODBC SAS/Access product so I have a feel for that. Does anyone have an opinion on the value of that versus the OLEDB version versus the database specific varieties? We're a Windows shop and one of the SQL Server databases we'll actually have to hit across the internet if that makes a difference. Thanks, Ken ...

Re: SAS/Access for Teradata #3
On Thu, 29 May 2008 16:51:34 -0400, Linda Pavlish <lap7858@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >We have recently upgraded to Teradata V2R6 and no longer am able to use the >SAS/Access for Teradata drivers. (SAS 9.1.3 SP4). Basically, when you >issue the libname statement > libname xxxx Teradata tpdid = xxx schema = xxxx user=xxxx > password= xxxx; > >the SAS session will hang. (It continues to clock until we kill the >session). We have had this tracked with Tech support for over a month with >no useful solution yet so I'm desparately hoping someone else has >experience and solved this problem. > >Any and all suggestions are welcomed. > >Thanks No experience with Teradata, but an idea: maybe you could SAS ask for a 9.2 installation to test it with that? Another thing: ask them to increase the priority for that problem! Tell them, that you have a serious production problem, maybe that motivies them to work faster... Gerhard ...

Re: SAS and MS Access #2
On Wed, 5 May 2004 23:33:43 -0400, Peter Hruby <hrubyp@SYMPATICO.CA> wrote: >Hi SAS-L, > >I am wondering what choice do I have to access tables in MS Access datbase. >Can I use SAS/Access to ODBC or SAS/Access to PC Files or DDE or WB scripts? >I appreciate any experience and examples. Hi, Peter, If you have SAS/Access OLE DB, then it gives you more control. The following code shows that you can use an access table as if it is a sas dataset. If field name has embedded blanks, you can use something like, 'field name'n as the variable name. dbmax_text dataset opti...

Re: Q: SAS -> MySQL without SAS/ACCESS
If the dataset is not huge, then converting the database table into a CSV file may be the way to go. MYSQL's own CSV read/write facility is extremely efficient (or was when I used it three years ago). On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:50 PM, RolandRB <rolandberry@hotmail.com> wrote: > What is the easiest and neatest way to get a sas data set into MySQL > without using SAS/ACCESS? I am hoping there are some useful URLs for > this. > ...

Re: How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
The answer is given here: Problem Note 7495: No read permission on System Tables when using SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC with a Microsoft Access ODBC Driver http://support.sas.com/kb/7/495.html Regards Dietrich Dietrich Alte schrieb: > Dear all, > > I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know > when they were created and/or modified. > The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, > but I have not managed to read it from SAS. > (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) > --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? > I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. > > Regards > > Dietrich > -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

Re: Using SAS with large datasets (linking SAS and Access)
I have very little experience with using this but I have found that if you have SAS Access for PC Products licensed, just as you can issue a libname statement pointing to an Excel workbook, you can also issue one for an Access database. Try doing this and then look at your SAS explorer window where you will see an icon for the Access file and will then be able to look at the Access tables as if they were SAS data sets. Nat Wooding Environmental Specialist III Dominion, Environmental Biology 4111 Castlewood Rd Richmond, VA 23234 Phone:804-271-5313, Fax: 804-271-2977 ben.powell@CLA.CO .UK Sent by: "SAS(r) To Discussion" SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <SAS-L@LISTSERV.U cc GA.EDU> Subject Re: Using SAS with large datasets 06/23/2008 06:01 AM Please respond to ben.powell@CLA.CO .UK If you haven't already, export the data out of Access asap as mdb operations tend to be several orders of magnitude slower than SAS. Export to tab or csv and import into SAS. The export procedure from Access is relatively painless. If you've already done that and are still facing problems you should provide more info on variabl...

Re: MS Access
Hit Send too fast. Forgot to mention that these are all licensed: ---SAS/ACCESS Interface to ORACLE ---SAS/ACCESS Interface to SYBASE ---SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files ---SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC ...

Re: SAS/ACCESS & Excel #3
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:47:04 -0400, Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org> <nospam@HOWLES.COM> wrote: >On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:50:03 -0700, lei <leiliang217@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > >>If we do not have SAS/ACCESS, can we automatically import multiple >>Excel workbooks into SAS datasets. or we have to change Excel workbooks >>into .txt then automatically read in? > >As far as I know, DDE is the only Base SAS technique for moving data >directly from native Excel representation to SAS. > >> >>Can SAS Enterprise Guide import multiple wor...

Web resources about - Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name #3 - comp.soft-sys.sas

Facebook Users Automatically Checked In To Events They RSVPed Yes To
A reader tipped us off that Facebook is automatically checking in users at events that they RSVPed they would attend. continued… New Career ...

Now Users Can Remove Contacts Automatically Saved by Facebook’s Friend Finder
Two weeks ago, many Facebook users began asking questions about curiously good recommendations suddenly appearing in Facebook’s “People You May ...

App Store - Attachments.me- Gmail inbox software to efficiently manage emails, automatically send/upload ...
Get Attachments.me- Gmail inbox software to efficiently manage emails, automatically send/upload files to cloud storage(Dropbox, Box, and G Drive), ...

Automatically organize your desktop icons into shaded areas called Fences! - YouTube
Fences® is the most popular desktop organization tool used by millions of users worldwide. Create shaded areas called "fences" to automatically ...

Lesbian mothers to be automatically recognised on birth certificates in SA - AdelaideNow Search Search ...
BOTH lesbian mothers will be recognised on their child’s birth certificate — not just the woman who gives birth — under changes approved by Parliament’s ...

Optus switches on customers' global roaming automatically
Optus has begun automatically switching on global roaming for many of its mobile customers, the latest move in an increasing trend that has consumer ...

Emailing porn at work not automatically sackable, court finds
Australia's federal court has upheld a ruling that emailing pornography in the workplace is not automatically a sackable offence.

Shazam iPhone app now listens for music, TV shows automatically
Shazam has updated its iPhone app to tag songs, TV shows and more on its own, no longer requiring users to open the app and tap a button.

App of the day: Human for iPhone automatically tracks your movements
Human for the iPhone is an activity tracker that automatically distinguishes between different types of movement.