From: ./ ADD NAME=Data _null_, [mailto:iebupdte@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:20 AM
To: Alan Churchill
Cc: SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu
Subject: Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code

You need to provide more details.  It is unclear to me if you want the
statements generated by the macro MPRINT/MFILE written to the file or
the MACRO definition FILE/PUT.

Syntax
MFILE | NOMFILE

MFILE
routes output produced by the MPRINT option to an external file. This
is useful for debugging.

On 8/12/08, Alan Churchill <savian001@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>

> Ok, I think this might be doable but I am drawing a blank.
>

> Suppose I have this code:
>

> %macro xyz;
>
>   data temp.temp4;
>
>   .do some sas stuff.
>
>  run;
>
> %mend;
>

> Is there a way to write the macro statements out to a file? I can run them
> but I would also like to save them outside of SAS.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Alan
>

> Alan Churchill
> Savian
>  <http://www.savian.net/> www.savian.net

0
savian001 (795)

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #10
Summary: Macro generation of correct SAS code requires SAS execution. #iw-value=1 Alan, I do not see how this is possible. Consider: %macro q ( seed=0 ) ; %local cum ; data w ( keep = r ) ; do i = 1 to 20 ; r = ranuni ( &seed ) ; output ; end ; run ; data _null_ ; set w end = eof ; cum + r ; if eof then call symputx ( "cum" , cum ) ; run ; title1 "Cum = &cum" ; %mend q ; This macro ends up generating a TITLE statement. However, that title statement depends on the execution of the previous steps. Hence it cannot be generated by the macro facility without actually executing the previously generated code. The problem is similar to that of using CALL EXECUTE to generate SAS code via a macro call. In the case of CALL EXECUTE one can work around the problem by using %NRSTR to hide the call during the DATA step execution, but you have explicitly required the macro to generate correct code without executing. Now there is no work around. In essence you are asking, "Is the macro facility so weak that there is a program that can predict the output of every macro without executing it?" Since that output can depend on the execution of SAS code, one must first be able to predict the result of executing every SAS program without actually doing the executing. It seems highly unlikely that the SAS Institute is up to the jo...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #2
Alan, not precisely clear what you are searching think thus also about this kind of program in addition to the mprint mfile answer of ~data _null_ HTH Andre libname malibmac "d:\temp"; options mstores sasmstore=malibmac; %macro foobar(aarg)/store source des='nothing or interresting'; %put arg=&arg; %mend; %copy foobar/source; Alan Churchill a �crit : > All, > > > > Ok, I think this might be doable but I am drawing a blank. > > > > Suppose I have this code: > > > > %macro xyz; > > data temp.temp4; > > .do some sas stuff. > > run; > > %mend; > > > > Is there a way to write the macro statements out to a file? I can run them > but I would also like to save them outside of SAS. > > bname malibmac "d:\f\"; > > Thanks, > > Alan > > > > Alan Churchill > Savian > <http://www.savian.net/> www.savian.net > > -- Andr� WIELKI INED (Institut National d'Etudes D�mographiques) Service Informatique 133 Boulevard Davout 75980 Paris Cedex 20 m�l : wielki@ined.fr t�l : 33 (0) 1 56 06 21 54 ...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #6
Good Don. I should have remembered that trick from SGF. One minor issue, it doesn't preserve formatting. Other than doing the string split myself, any suggestions? Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Don Henderson Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 7:37 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: FW: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code resending as I did not mean to send to just Andre ---------------------------------------- > From: donaldjhenderson@hotmail.com > To: wielki@ined.fr > Subject: RE: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code > Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:34:41 +0000 > > > Alan, > > If you want the generated SAS code try (untested): > > data _null_; > file "code.sas"; > length code $32000; > code = resolve('%xyz'); > put code; > run; > > You may want to format it (e.g., new line whenever you start a new statement). > > HTH, > donh > > ---------------------------------------- >> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:52:02 +0200 >> From: wielki@INED.FR >> Subject: Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code >> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >> >> Alan, >> not precisely clear what you are searching >> think thus also about this kind of program >> in addition to the mprint mfile answer of ~data _null_ >> HTH >> Andre >> &...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #4
I actually never want to store the macro code. I only want it available in a temp file which I then consume. For example: %macro xyz; data temp.temp4; ...do some sas stuff... run; %mend; I want to save the contents, formatted, into a text file (i.e. c:\temp\program.sas) which I can then consume in another application. I also want to execute the code. Hence: %xyz; Save the contents of the macro file to a text file with CRLF included. I don't want the run, merely the statements. Thoughts? Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI) Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:15 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code you want to save the macro code in its own file access then depends on modifying one of the three uses of the word: SASautos Tutorials A SASautos Companion: Reusing Macros http://tinyurl.com/45nzzk for: http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi30/267-30.pdf Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov > -----Original Message----- > From: Alan Churchill > Ok, I think this might be doable but I am drawing a blank. > Suppose I have this code: > %macro xyz; > data temp.temp4; > .do some sas stuff. > run; > %mend; > > Is there a way to write the macro statements out to a file? I > can run them > but I would also like to ...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #9
Remember the formatting/indentation is lost in macro anyway as white space = is not relevant. The best you can do is what mprint does for you - a new st= atement on column 1 on on new line. =20 -don> Date: Tue=2C 12 Aug 2008 08:38:31 -0600> From: savian001@GMAIL.COM> S= ubject: Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA= ..EDU> > Good Don. I should have remembered that trick from SGF. One minor i= ssue=2C it> doesn't preserve formatting. Other than doing the string split = myself=2C any> suggestions?> > Alan> > Alan Churchill> Savian> www.savian.n= et> > > -----Original Message-----> From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@L= ISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Don> Henderson> Sent: Tuesday=2C August 12=2C= 2008 7:37 AM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Subject: FW: Include SAS code w/= o including SAS code> > resending as I did not mean to send to just Andre> = > ----------------------------------------> > From: donaldjhenderson@hotmai= l.com> > To: wielki@ined.fr> > Subject: RE: Include SAS code w/o including = SAS code> > Date: Tue=2C 12 Aug 2008 13:34:41 +0000> >> >> > Alan=2C> >> > = If you want the generated SAS code try (untested):> >> > data _null_=3B> > = file "code.sas"=3B> > length code $32000=3B> > code =3D resolve('%xyz')=3B>= > put code=3B> > run=3B> &g...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #11
Thanks Ian. I actually switched it over to a %include since readability is critical here. The only other method I can think of is to use datalines but that is not as convenient either. The underlying problem behind this exercise was: How can I have a set of valid SAS statements be filed into a text file and also be available for execution? Immediately, I said %include since that is obvious. However, I was hoping to also be able to see the lines and make quick modifications in the editor. Since I have had time to think about it some more, I decided to go ahead and split it out into 2 programs and simply %include them. That way I retain formatting. The only negative is that they are now in 2 tabs but I can live with that. All of the exploration done by people and pointing out various options has been helpful. The formatting though is critical and I don't want to run my cleaner on it. Sometimes it is best to just KISS. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: iw1junk@comcast.net [mailto:iw1junk@comcast.net] Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:29 AM To: SAS(r) Discussion Cc: Alan Churchill Subject: Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code Summary: Macro generation of correct SAS code requires SAS execution. #iw-value=1 Alan, I do not see how this is possible. Consider: %macro q ( seed=0 ) ; %local cum ; data w ( keep = r ) ; do i = 1 to 20 ; r = ranuni ( &seed ) ; output ; ...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #12
OK, now I get it. You don't know that you already have what you need. In your example you say... Suppose I have this code: %macro xyz; data temp.temp4; .do some sas stuff. run; %mend; So you have it you don't need to get it you've already got it. The formatting that you desire is right there, no problem. If the macro is in aggregate storage location then you also "have it". It is waiting be auto called, read with infile, or opened with an editor. If it is stored compiled and the source was saved you can look at the source just as Andre suggested using %copy. If calling the macro with RESOLVE returns gt 32767 characters what do you do then? You could read the compiled macro from the work.sasmacr. Limited testing suggests that the formatting you desire is preserved in the catalog entry. filename ft56f001 catalog 'work.sasmacr.<NAME>.macro'; data _null_; infile ft56f001; input; list; run; On 8/12/08, Alan Churchill <savian001@gmail.com> wrote: > I don't believe there is inconsistency in my statement. I don't want the log > (run), just the statements. A macro is a macro so I can always run it if > need be but the main gist is that I need the statements. > > I will just break the statements myself and do the formatting using Don's > technique. > > Thanks for the help, > Alan > > Alan Churchill > Savian > www.savian.net > > > -----Original Message---...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #5
you want to save the macro code in its own file access then depends on modifying one of the three uses of the word: SASautos Tutorials A SASautos Companion: Reusing Macros http://tinyurl.com/45nzzk for: http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi30/267-30.pdf Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov > -----Original Message----- > From: Alan Churchill > Ok, I think this might be doable but I am drawing a blank. > Suppose I have this code: > %macro xyz; > data temp.temp4; > .do some sas stuff. > run; > %mend; > > Is there a way to write the macro statements out to a file? I > can run them > but I would also like to save them outside of SAS. ...

Re: FW: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:36:52 +0000, Don Henderson <donaldjhenderson@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >resending as I did not mean to send to just Andre > >---------------------------------------- >> From: donaldjhenderson@hotmail.com >> To: wielki@ined.fr >> Subject: RE: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code >> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:34:41 +0000 >> >> >> Alan, >> >> If you want the generated SAS code try (untested): >> >> data _null_; >> file "code.sas"; >> length code $32000; >> code = resolve('%xyz'); >> put code; >> run; >> >> You may want to format it (e.g., new line whenever you start a new statement). >> >> HTH, >> donh >> >> ---------------------------------------- >>> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:52:02 +0200 >>> From: wielki@INED.FR >>> Subject: Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code >>> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >>> >>> Alan, >>> not precisely clear what you are searching >>> think thus also about this kind of program >>> in addition to the mprint mfile answer of ~data _null_ >>> HTH >>> Andre >>> >>> libname malibmac "d:\temp"; >>> options mstores sasmstore=malibmac; >>> %macro foobar(aarg)/store source des='nothing or interresting'; >>> ...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #14
Charles, I did very similar things across multiple datacenters with NDM and the JCL Reader awhile back. And yes, explaining a SyncSort, EasyTrieve, SAS milkshake to a newbie was an exercise in frustration. Hell, I told them early on that SyncSort had limited commands (7 at the time?) but would take them years to master threw them for a loop. Welcome to binary ;-] That said, I think the details of what I am doing need something else. The problem with tossing out a problem on SAS-L (and elsewhere) is that the particular need is generalized to the point of losing what the original constraints are bound by. After looking at the proposals and the ideas, I am still faced with what I need to accomplish. Hence, while the %include was not what I wanted, it worked out the best. Melding 2 systems together, SAS and .NET, makes me choose alternatives that aren't as pretty as I would like. Nonetheless, I have something that works now. ....and I forge ahead. BTW, this isn't client work but SAS community work for my spare time. I appreciate everything everyone has contributed and it will be returned. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of charles.harbour@ACT.ORG Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:23 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code What you ask can be done (just about <anything> can be done in sas), but at what price? T...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #8
You are not consistent. One time you say you don't want to execute the macro then you say you do. Question: Where is the "macro" when YOU begin to want it? Please describe your processing in complete detail. On 8/12/08, Alan Churchill <savian001@gmail.com> wrote: > I actually never want to store the macro code. I only want it available in a > temp file which I then consume. For example: > > %macro xyz; > data temp.temp4; > ...do some sas stuff... > run; > %mend; > > > I want to save the contents, formatted, into a text file (i.e. > c:\temp\program.sas) which I can then consume in another application. I also > want to execute the code. Hence: > > %xyz; > > Save the contents of the macro file to a text file with CRLF included. I > don't want the run, merely the statements. > > Thoughts? > > Alan > > Alan Churchill > Savian > www.savian.net > > > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Fehd, > Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI) > Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:15 AM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code > > you want to save the macro code in its own file > > access then depends on modifying one of the three uses of the word: > SASautos > > Tutorials > A SASautos Companion: Reusing Macros > > http://tinyurl.com/45nzzk fo...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #7
I don't believe there is inconsistency in my statement. I don't want the log (run), just the statements. A macro is a macro so I can always run it if need be but the main gist is that I need the statements. I will just break the statements myself and do the formatting using Don's technique. Thanks for the help, Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: ./ ADD NAME=Data _null_, [mailto:iebupdte@gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:05 AM To: Alan Churchill Cc: SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu Subject: Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code You are not consistent. One time you say you don't want to execute the macro then you say you do. Question: Where is the "macro" when YOU begin to want it? Please describe your processing in complete detail. On 8/12/08, Alan Churchill <savian001@gmail.com> wrote: > I actually never want to store the macro code. I only want it available in a > temp file which I then consume. For example: > > %macro xyz; > data temp.temp4; > ...do some sas stuff... > run; > %mend; > > > I want to save the contents, formatted, into a text file (i.e. > c:\temp\program.sas) which I can then consume in another application. I also > want to execute the code. Hence: > > %xyz; > > Save the contents of the macro file to a text file with CRLF included. I > don't want the run, merely the statements. > > Thoughts? > > Alan...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #13
What you ask can be done (just about <anything> can be done in sas), but at what price? The put statement is your friend--think if you were to generate a whole job, not just a macro. The problem comes if you have any macro variables that would need to be resolved when the second job runs-- now you have to play with quoting, so that sas doesn't try to interpret them at compile time. And that can cause horrible headaches, esp if there are some macro vars that you do want evaluated at compile time. I have some code that was used on the mainframe to generate dynamically created jobs that were then submitted either right into the reader or across the wire to another machine--jcl, including macro resolutions for pds, member name and ds name, as well as the job logic. It was a real hassle to maintain, and difficult for a new person to pick up without doing a lot of hand holding (or try and be patient, and after the 5th mistake, they figure it out). Trying to coordinate batch processing across multiple machines, when you have an established production window, where you can't be waiting indefinitely for a dataset that may never come-- presents its own set of challenges. If you're still curious, let me know and I'll pass it along. CH On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:38:11 -0600, Alan Churchill <savian001@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >Thanks Ian. > >I actually switched it over to a %include since readability is critical >here. The only other method I can th...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #3
[...]

resending as I did not mean to send to just Andre ---------------------------------------- > From: donaldjhenderson@hotmail.com > To: wielki@ined.fr > Subject: RE: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code > Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 13:34:41 +0000 > > > Alan, > > If you want the generated SAS code try (untested): > > data _null_; > file "code.sas"; > length code $32000; > code = resolve('%xyz'); > put code; > run; > > You may want to format it (e.g., new line whenever you start a new statement). > > HTH, > donh > > ---------------------------------------- >> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:52:02 +0200 >> From: wielki@INED.FR >> Subject: Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code >> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >> >> Alan, >> not precisely clear what you are searching >> think thus also about this kind of program >> in addition to the mprint mfile answer of ~data _null_ >> HTH >> Andre >> >> libname malibmac "d:\temp"; >> options mstores sasmstore=malibmac; >> %macro foobar(aarg)/store source des='nothing or interresting'; >> %put arg=&arg; >> %mend; >> %copy foobar/source; >> >> >> >> Alan Churchill a �crit : >>> All, >>> >>> >>> >>> Ok, I think this might be doable but I am drawing a blank. >>...

Re: How to get the location of SAS code in the same SAS code thru #4
I use a macro from Frank DiIorio, CodeCrafters, Inc. that rely on SAS Dictionary Tables: %macro source_code/store; %global source_code; proc sql noprint; select XPath into :Source_Code separated by ' ' from dictionary.extfiles where fileref like "#LN00006" ; quit; %mend; The store is optional since I like to store compiled macros in a single location and call in with a mstored and sasmstore= options. I just add the following to my code to get a footnote indicating the full path and name of code submitted: %source_code; footnote1 "SOURCE CODE: &source_c...

Re: How to get the location of SAS code in the same SAS code thru #3 685847
> From: Alok > I am facing a problem in which I need to get the > location/path of a SAS code in a macro variable. I need to > use the macro variable in the same SAS code. Is there any SAS > option available which can do this for me? Or is there a code > snippet which can achieve the same purpose? - - - MyMacro.sas - - - %macro MyMacro(path=); %*...; %Mend; - - - MyProgram.sas - - - %Let Path2MyMacro = c:\temp\MyMacro.sas; %Include "&Path2MyMacro."; %MyMacro(path = &Path2MyMacro.); Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov ...

Re: SAS code beautifier or SAS Tidy #3
Yes indeed. I gave Alan the worst code (authors shall remain anonymous to protect the guilty, but the project involved Mortgage Banking services...) I have seen in over two decade of looking at SAS code, and his utility cleaned it right up. On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Richard Read Allen <peakstat@wispertel.net>wrote: > Try www.savian.net. I think Alan Churchill may have developed some > utilities > that may be able to help you. > > -Richard > > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mary > Sent: ...

Re: search SAS data set from SAS code
> From: Rose > Hi All, > Suppose I have a sas permanent data set which was created > early, I know > the library path but I couldn't remember in which sas program code I > created it. how can I search from so many sas program files in > different folders and find it. a problem familiar to all of us delayed-housekeeping folks. Libname Libref '<directory-specification>'; DATA LibRef.DataSetName; use your system utilities to search for the dir-spec of your libref. search: *.sas containing text: <dir-spec> once you have found the libname...

Re: search SAS data set from SAS code #5
Rose, You have some good advice on search techniques, but they may beinadequate. I hope your LIBNAME wasn't something like libname lib "&dir" ; Perhaps you should also search for ".member", but that also couldhave the same problem. You might also look for key variablenames or values, or procedures that you know created the data.The date from a PROC CONTENTs might provide useful information,or an old report created by the same program with a footnote,"Source code: ...". Maybe data lib.w ( label="created by ..." ) ; would be a good habit to ...

Re: Running sas code on mainframe through SAS-UNIX #4
Something like this should be possible as I have done it in the past. Note the "site filetype=jes" which submits your JCL/SAS Program to the MVS internal reader. ftp -nv hostname << EOT user userid/password ascii lcd jcldirectory site filetype=jes put sasjobwithjcl quit EOT You should get back something like "250 Transfer completed successfully" and "known to JES as <jobnumber>" MM On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 13:15:48 +0200, Robert Bardos <bardos2@ANSYS.CH> wrote: >Hi, > >I ought to be busily doing other things so I'll just sketch out a...

Re: search SAS data set from SAS code #2
Rose, The answer to your question depends on your operating system. In Windows, there's the Search tool. In Unix/Linux, you can use grep Bob Abelson HGSI 240 314 4400 x1374 bob_abelson@hgsi.com Rose <myr_rose@YAHOO.COM> Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 04/19/2005 11:13 AM Please respond to myr_rose To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU cc: Subject: search SAS data set from SAS code Hi All, Suppose I have a sas permanent data set which was created early, I know the library path but I couldn't remember in which s...

Re: Running sas code on mainframe through SAS-UNIX #3 672823

Web resources about - Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code - comp.soft-sys.sas

70M Facebook Shares To Hit The Market, Including 41.35M From Mark Zuckerberg
... public offering of class-A common stock, with 27,004,761 coming from the company itself and another 42,995,239 from certain stockholders, including ...

Latino Youth Interrupt President Obama Speech to Protest His One Million Deportations, Including Many ...
Presente.org hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Latino Youth Interrupt President Obama Speech to Protest His One Million Deportations, Including Many ...

Facebook to introduce additional targeting for page posts, including age and gender segmenting
Facebook is planning to allow pages to target their posts to new subsets of their audience, including fans of a particular age range or gender, ...

Twitter Introduces Custom Timelines, Including Developer API
Like Storify, built right into Twitter itself.

Preschool Zoo Puzzles for toddlers and kids (animal puzzles including jigsaw puzzles, matching, counting ...
Get Preschool Zoo Puzzles for toddlers and kids (animal puzzles including jigsaw puzzles, matching, counting and other educational games) on ...

#ImagineCup Rockstar award (including preview #WP7 devices) presented by Minister Kudrycka to Beastware ...
#ImagineCup Rockstar award (including preview #WP7 devices) presented by Minister Kudrycka to Beastware ...

Learning to be awesome at anything you do, including being a leader - Tasha Eurich - TEDxMileHigh - YouTube ...
This talk was given at a local TEDx event, produced independently of the TED Conferences. Can we learn to lead, or is leadership something we're ...

30 sites including Inca trails, ancient French cave vie for World Heritage status
The World Heritage Committee gathers in Doha to decide which natural and cultural sites should get their names included on its 981-strong list. ...

Dodo releases NBN plans including unlimited data plan
Dodo has today announced its new range of consumer NBN plans, including a plan offering unlimited data per month.

ABC cuts tipped to hit news services including 7:30 and Lateline
The ABC's newsrooms are bracing for job losses as the national broadcaster's board prepares to spend the weekend finding savings that are tipped ...