Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L #8

Many mail clients provide a way to display the raw incoming; that is, the
lines of text received, before anything is parsed, rendered, decoded, or
extracted.

I did that with a recent posting. Here is the series of headers sent out by
LISTSERV. I found it following the headers which accreted int transit and
before the body of the message.

>Newsgroups:   bit.listserv.sas-l
>Date:         Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:08:30 -0500
>Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>From:         Alex Gray <alex.m.gray@GSK.COM>
>Subject:      Problem with ODS RTF copying into new Word doc
>To:           SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Leading right pointy brackets inserted here by me.

To see what we have, switch to a monospace font, or copy and paste into an
editor which uses a monospace display.

You'll see that extra spaces are present to left-align the values of the
headers in the 15th position. So "Subject:" get 5 extraneous spaces because
the word "subject" is 7 letters long, then the colon and a single blank
make it 9, so 5 more are needed to make 14, thus pushing the value
("Problem...") to position 15.

I don't know if this bit of formatting is new, or if it can be controlled
in any way. Joe, has there been a LISTSERV upgrade or patch lately which
might have introduced this?

The implications would depend on the mail client. Groupwise appears to
strip the extra spaces. The Subject: values from SAS-L sort properly when
interspersed with others.

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:11:34 -0500, F. J. Kelley <jkelley@UGA.EDU> wrote:

>I am not seeing it either.  In the mail the Subjects look ok,
>in the archives they look ok and a check of comp.soft-sys.sas
>(via google groups) showed subjects there to look ok.

Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L #5
Well, for whatever it's worth, the problem is not universal. Nothing out of the ordinary seems to be happening at Westat (Outlook 2002, MS Exchange server). Mike Rhoads Westat RhoadsM1@Westat.com -----Original Message----- From: Fehd, Ronald J. (PHPPO) [mailto:rjf2@CDC.GOV] Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 11:59 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L RE: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L ....123456 yes, me, too! <ack!> I am not alone! ... in my suffering! Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2@cdc.gov do not fold, spindle, or mutilate -- IBM punch card .... the subject line > -----Original Message----- > From: Groeneveld, Jim [mailto:jim.groeneveld@VITATRON.COM] > Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 9:52 AM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L > > > Hi friends, > > Since I resubscribed to SAS-L from my new email address last August I > experience each subject line, in contributions received via SAS-L as > individual emails, to start with 5 spaces. My email program (LookOut > from MyHard) has got trouble with it while replying and while > searching for other contributions on the same subject. I have to > manually interfere every time to get things as I want. Other (direct) > emails and email from other lists don't show this > peculiarity. Does anyone of you also experience it? If so, it &g...

Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L
I have the same issue. Looking through my archives, I see that it started doing it last April. I noticed it then and was perplexed by it, but I never got around to asking about it. Anybody else? Joe DeShon Manager, Advanced Applications Development PCS Marketing & Sales Analysis Group Sprint PCS 6130 Sprint Parkway Mailstop: KSOPHJ0114-1A504 Overland Park KS 66251 Work: (913) 762-6172 PCS: (816) 210-0950 Fax: (913) 762-0804 email: jdesho01@sprintspectrum.com -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu] On Behalf Of Groeneveld, Jim Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 8:52 AM To: SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu Subject: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L Hi friends, Since I resubscribed to SAS-L from my new email address last August I experience each subject line, in contributions received via SAS-L as individual emails, to start with 5 spaces. My email program (LookOut from MyHard) has got trouble with it while replying and while searching for other contributions on the same subject. I have to manually interfere every time to get things as I want. Other (direct) emails and email from other lists don't show this peculiarity. Does anyone of you also experience it? If so, it may be a problem with the listserv. Regards - Jim. -- .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Jim Groeneveld, MSc. Biostatistician Science Team Vitatron B.V. Meander 1051 6825 MJ Arnhem Tel: +31/0 26 376 7365 Fax: +31/0 26 376 7305 Jim.Groeneveld...

Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L #7
I am not seeing it either. In the mail the Subjects look ok, in the archives they look ok and a check of comp.soft-sys.sas (via google groups) showed subjects there to look ok. ---- Original message ---- >Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 12:44:37 -0500 >From: Mike Rhoads <RHOADSM1@WESTAT.COM> >Subject: Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > >Well, for whatever it's worth, the problem is not universal. Nothing out of >the ordinary seems to be happening at Westat (Outlook 2002, MS Exchange >server). > >Mike Rhoads >Westat >RhoadsM1@Westat.com > >-----Original Message----- >From: Fehd, Ronald J. (PHPPO) [mailto:rjf2@CDC.GOV] >Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 11:59 AM >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L > > >RE: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L >...123456 >yes, me, too! ><ack!> I am not alone! ... in my suffering! > >Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2@cdc.gov > >do not fold, spindle, or mutilate -- IBM punch card >... the subject line > > >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Groeneveld, Jim [mailto:jim.groeneveld@VITATRON.COM] >> Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 9:52 AM >> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >> Subject: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L >> >> >> Hi friends, >> >> Since I resubscribed to ...

Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L #3
RE: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L ....123456 yes, me, too! <ack!> I am not alone! ... in my suffering! Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2@cdc.gov do not fold, spindle, or mutilate -- IBM punch card .... the subject line > -----Original Message----- > From: Groeneveld, Jim [mailto:jim.groeneveld@VITATRON.COM] > Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 9:52 AM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L > > > Hi friends, > > Since I resubscribed to SAS-L from my new email address last > August I experience each subject line, in contributions > received via SAS-L as individual emails, to start with 5 > spaces. My email program (LookOut from MyHard) has got > trouble with it while replying and while searching for other > contributions on the same subject. I have to manually > interfere every time to get things as I want. Other (direct) > emails and email from other lists don't show this > peculiarity. Does anyone of you also experience it? If so, it > may be a problem with the listserv. > > Regards - Jim. > -- > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . > > Jim Groeneveld, MSc. > Biostatistician > Science Team > Vitatron B.V. > Meander 1051 > 6825 MJ Arnhem > Tel: +31/0 26 376 7365 > Fax: +31/0 26 376 7305 > Jim.Groeneveld@Vitatron.com > www.vitatron.com > > My computer has the solutions, I...

Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L #2
I noticed this too when I got back from my vacation last week. Interestingly, I had tried to send the SET SAS-L NOMAIL to the ListServ on Thursday, Oct 23, when the list was down and/or having problems. I received a message from the ListServ that my NOMAIL request was received, but when I came back into the office on Monday, I had about 500 SAS-L messages. Over the week, I noticed this new trend of indented Subject Lines. I haven't tried replying since - though this would be the first (via Outlook 2002). John Gerstle CDC Information Technological Support Contract (CITS) Biostatistician >> -----Original Message----- >> From: Groeneveld, Jim [mailto:jim.groeneveld@VITATRON.COM] >> Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 9:52 AM >> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >> Subject: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L >> >> Hi friends, >> >> Since I resubscribed to SAS-L from my new email address last August I >> experience each subject line, in contributions received via SAS-L as >> individual emails, to start with 5 spaces. My email program (LookOut from >> MyHard) has got trouble with it while replying and while searching for >> other contributions on the same subject. I have to manually interfere >> every time to get things as I want. Other (direct) emails and email from >> other lists don't show this peculiarity. Does anyone of you also >> experience it? If so, it may be a probl...

Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L #9
Hi Joe, In the message header the tags are generally followed by one space and then their contents, like from an email of 17 april 2003: Subject: RE: Searching SAS Program Code for Specific String. Currently the 5 spaces too many already appear to be present in the header: Subject: Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L At the moment SAS-L (or rather its listserv) is the only sender in the world doing that weird, also when sending and receiving messages directly to and from the listserv: From: "L-Soft list server at UGA (1.8d)" <LISTSERV@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Subject: Command confirmation request (2A1BF4B0) When replying, like now, my subject line says: RE: Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L but I yet have to see what it becomes after sending. Anyway I can not use the automatic "find all messages on topic" function in my mailprogram. Could you have a look into that? Regards - Jim. -- .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Jim Groeneveld, MSc. Biostatistician Science Team Vitatron B.V. Meander 1051 6825 MJ Arnhem Tel: +31/0 26 376 7365 Fax: +31/0 26 376 7305 Jim.Groeneveld@Vitatron.com www.vitatron.com My computer has the solutions, I have the problems. [common disclaimer] -----Original Message----- From: F. J. Kelley [mailto:jkelley@UGA.EDU] Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 19:12 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L I am not seeing it either. In the mail...

Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L #4
I am experiencing this problem as well. It is creating confusion for me in that it breaks out of grouping SAS-L mail by topic. I have loose threads. Can this be a question of folks deliberately attempting to highlight their messages? -----Original Message----- From: Deshon, Joe A [PCS] [mailto:jdesho01@SPRINTSPECTRUM.COM] Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 11:05 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L I have the same issue. Looking through my archives, I see that it started doing it last April. I noticed it then and was perplexed by it, but I never got around to asking about it. Anybody else? Joe DeShon Manager, Advanced Applications Development PCS Marketing & Sales Analysis Group Sprint PCS 6130 Sprint Parkway Mailstop: KSOPHJ0114-1A504 Overland Park KS 66251 Work: (913) 762-6172 PCS: (816) 210-0950 Fax: (913) 762-0804 email: jdesho01@sprintspectrum.com -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu] On Behalf Of Groeneveld, Jim Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 8:52 AM To: SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu Subject: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L Hi friends, Since I resubscribed to SAS-L from my new email address last August I experience each subject line, in contributions received via SAS-L as individual emails, to start with 5 spaces. My email program (LookOut from MyHard) has got trouble with it while replying and while searching for other contributions on the same subject...

Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L #6
No, it's not deliberate. But here's another anomaly: When I sent my reply (a couple of messages down in this string) the blanks were in the subject line. I know; I saved a copy in my "sent" box. But when *that* message is replied to, the blanks disappear. In my original posting, there were 5 blanks between "Re:" and "Leading". Now there's only one. As I send *this* message, I look up at the subject line and it has "RE:", then five spaces, then "Re:", one space, and "Leading". It'll be interesting to see how it comes back. Gee, I've got too much work to do to worry about this. But it has been a mystery to me for several months. Joe DeShon Manager, Advanced Applications Development PCS Marketing & Sales Analysis Group Sprint PCS 6130 Sprint Parkway Mailstop: KSOPHJ0114-1A504 Overland Park KS 66251 Work: (913) 762-6172 PCS: (816) 210-0950 Fax: (913) 762-0804 email: jdesho01@sprintspectrum.com -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu] On Behalf Of Braten, Michael (Exchange) Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 11:29 AM To: SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu Subject: Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L I am experiencing this problem as well. It is creating confusion for me in that it breaks out of grouping SAS-L mail by topic. I have loose threads. Can this be a question of folks deliberately attempting to highlight their messages? -----Origi...

Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L
Hi friends, Since I resubscribed to SAS-L from my new email address last August I experience each subject line, in contributions received via SAS-L as individual emails, to start with 5 spaces. My email program (LookOut from MyHard) has got trouble with it while replying and while searching for other contributions on the same subject. I have to manually interfere every time to get things as I want. Other (direct) emails and email from other lists don't show this peculiarity. Does anyone of you also experience it? If so, it may be a problem with the listserv. Regards - Jim. -- .. . . ....

Re: SAS-L Panel / SAS-L Archives #5
Actually, I think there are remarkably few truly wrong answers, though it's fairly common to see somebody misinterpret a question, or miss some critical point, and therefore come up with a more or less correct answer which unfortunately does not respond to the question. As to following a thread, I think that's one of the weaknesses of the archives in their present state. Threads are broken when Subject headers change. That happens when people unwisely edit them by adding a superfluous word or correcting a typo. It also seems that some e-mail software inserts blanks as a side effect of...

Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #8
Just to jump in, in V6, there was a Proc V5toV6 but that only gets you one step along the way. I just checked and the proc is not available in V9 (at least on the pc). Nat Wooding Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@W To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU ESTAT.COM> cc: Sent by: "SAS(r) Subject: Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.U GA.EDU> 12/16/04 02:45 PM Please respond to Michael Raithel Dear SAS-L-ers, Al Nardi posted the following: > Has anyone ever converted a SAS 5 (scary) file to SAS 9.1 ? > I have some old (version 5) data that needs to be converted. > Al Nardi, if it had not been a Wintry 43 degrees (Fahrenheit) here in the metropolitan Washington, DC area, your question certainly would have put a chill in the air! Brrrrr! No, I have not done so, and think that you have a rough road ahead... unless, just unless, the SAS Version 5 files happen to be in Transport file format. If the SAS Version 5 files were created with PROC CPORT, they should be able to be CIMPORT-ed to SAS Version 9.x without any problems. The SAS Institute stated in the past that the SAS transport file format is _THE_ preferred method of storing and transferring old SAS files across tim...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #5
Also, congrats to _null_, very well deserved indeed - i've learned a ton from many of you, and _null_ is high on that list :) -Joe On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Joe Matise <snoopy369@gmail.com> wrote: > Thanks all, very honored! It's a pleasure to learn from everyone and > occasionally return some of that learning to others. I regularly amaze my > (much more experienced) colleagues with tips from the list :) > > Hopefully I'll be able to attend one of the SGFs someday soon and meet you > all! > > -Joe > > > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Arthur Tabachneck <art297@netscape.net>wrote: > >> My congratulations to DataNull and Joe, as well, both extremely well >> deserved. >> >> And, if you had as much trouble as I did in trying to click on Mike's link >> to the analyses, hopefully the following will work better: >> >> http://www.sascommunity.org/mwiki/images/3/3c/SGF_2009_SAS-L_Stats.ppt >> >> Art >> >> p.s. Many, many thanks to Ron Fehd and Art Carpenter for showing me how to >> post such links to the wiki. >> -------- >> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:42:25 -0700, Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) >> <NordlDJ@DSHS.WA.GOV> wrote: >> >> >Congratulations to data _null_ (Hall of Fame) and Joe Matisse (SASLROY) >> -- >> well deserved. >> > >> >Dan >> > >> >Daniel J. Nor...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #8
Thanks so much for participating, data _null_; I think I learn something from you every day; perhaps people who spend time reading SAS-L learn more than people who don't read SAS-L and just go to SGF. Hopefully you can give Mike a way to send your certificate to you. And to Joe as well; congratulations to both of you. -Mary ----- Original Message ----- From: "./ ADD NAME=Data _null_;" <iebupdte@GMAIL.COM> To: <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:55 AM Subject: Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 > Thanks Joe and congratulations to you too. And thank you all for the > kind words. > > I enjoy my time spent here on SAS-L, I learn something most every day > not always just about SAS. In 30 years learning SAS I've learned more > since I began participating actively in SAS-L than in all the time > before that. I hope to learn a lot more in future. > > Maybe I will get to SGF next year. > > On 3/26/09, Joe Matise <snoopy369@gmail.com> wrote: >> Also, congrats to _null_, very well deserved indeed - i've learned a ton >> from many of you, and _null_ is high on that list :) >> >> -Joe >> ...

Re: SAS-L Panel / SAS-L Archives
An interesting problem with running text miner against SAS-L: how do you avoid returning incorrect answers? -- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Manager, Technical Development Metrics Department, First Health West Sacramento, California USA >>> "Howard Schreier" <Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV> 12/23/2003 12:28 PM >>> [This is part of a report on a panel discussion about SAS-L which took place during the 2003 NESUG conference. Partcipants: Paul Dorfman, Ron Fehd, Phil Mason, Barbara Okerson, Dianne Louise Rhodes, David Septoff] On the topics of Archives ... Th...

Re: SAS 8.2 = SAS 8.02 ?
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:29:57 -0500, Igor Kurbeko <ikurbeko@ATHEROGENICS.COM> wrote: >Hi, guys. > > > >Are SAS releases 8.2 and 8.02 one and the same? > > > >I wanted to apply hot fix for SAS Release 8.2 (TS2M0) B2BB97. > >But we use SAS 8.02 Hi, Igor, SAS releases 8.2, 8.02, and 8e refer to the same thing Release 8.2 (TS2M0), at least on Windows platform and likely so in other platforms. It seems an outcome of the development and marketing not in sync -- which is much frequent happening in the industry. Like Java 2 is in fact Java 1.2 and above, ms office xp is the same as ms office 2002, which includes nothing but word 10 and excel 10, ... For SAS release 9, fortunately, things are much in sync. I know there have been releases 9.0, 9.1, 9.1.2, and 9.1.3 so far for Windows platform. No "9 the Big One", nor "SAS BT -- Break Through edition", nor "SaS - the Superior Software", nor "SAS PK -- Power to Know", nor "SAS PS -- the Pretty Solutions", nor "SAS NHB -- No Head-Banging," ... :-) Cheers, Chang ...

Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #5
Mikeey I did try V8 before I sent the posting just to be sure that V5toV6 was not available and I too, found it not there. I see that Dale did not find it in a V6.12 installation. I just ran a mainframe 6.09E job and the proc is there. I find it odd that it would not be available in 6.12 since this is a V6 proc. The spelling is V5TOV6 Nat Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@W To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU ESTAT.COM> cc: Sent by: "SAS(r) Subject: Re: Converting...

Re: SAS-L Panel / SAS-L Archives #4
If someone follows a thread all the way to the end, then yes, the correct answer(s) will usually be found. But the Text Miner would have to be able to find "the answer you just gave was wrong, and here's why" messages, and not report the original wrong answers. That's what I think would be hard. And David's joking, of course: sometimes there are clearly and unarguably wrong answers on SAS-L. I've given them myself occasionally. -- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Manager, Technical Development Metrics Department, First Health West Sacramento, California USA >>> "Peter Flom" <flom@NDRI.ORG> 12/23/2003 2:17 PM >>> I think, actually, this is one of the great strengths of mailing lists; SAS-L in particular: Mistakes don't survive. If you ask an "expert", he or she may get it wrong. Everyone makes mistakes (except Ian :-). People can also misunderstand questions. But, if you post a question here, and someone posts a wrong response, or if a question is confusing, things get straightened out, usually quickly. Peter >>> "David L. Cassell" <cassell.david@EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV> 12/23/2003 4:29:34 PM >>> Jack Hamilton <JackHamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM> replied: > An interesting problem with running text miner against SAS-L: how do you > avoid returning incorrect answers? Come now. Surely you don't mean to imply that anyone ever gives a *wrong* answer on SAS-L...

Re: force line wrapping in SAS-L posts #5
Hi Harry, See old postings on this subject (URLs over two lines!): http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S2=sas-l&q=&s=%22single+line% 22&f=&a=2004&b= http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S2=sas-l&q=&s=%22please+excuse% 22&f=&a=2004&b= http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S2=sas-l&q=&s=quotefix&f=&a=2004&b= Quotefix didn't help. I couldn't solve the problem either. Regards - Jim. -- Y. (Jim) Groeneveld, MSc., Biostatistician, Vitatron b.v., NL Jim.Groeneveld_AT_Vitatron.com (replace _AT_ by AT sign) http://www.vitatron.com, http:/...

Re: SAS Tips From SAS-L Archives January 1996 to May 2006 #5 1554882
Wow, Philip Mason with 81 dwarfs everyone else for being involved with TIPS. <again, no efforts for accuracy and> <very unscientific/nonunduplicated.> 31 Philip Mason 25 Phil Mason 25 Philip & Esther Mason 23 Fehd, Ronald J. 23 Peter Crawford 19 Don Stanley 12 Mark Bodt 11 Karsten M. Self 9 Ian Whitlock 8 Jack Hamilton 8 Sterling Price 8 Terjeson, Mark 7 John Whittington 7 Roger Lustig 6 Andrew Ratcliffe 6 Charles Patridge 6 Lee W. Gilbert 6 WHITLOI1 5 aratcliffe 5 David L. Cassell 4 Alan Churchill 4 Bernard Tremblay 4 Jay Weedon 4 Paul Dorfman 4 Tim Berryhill 4 Tony Payne 3 Anthony Ayiomamitis 3 Arjen Raateland 3 Bruce Rogers 3 Choate, Paul 3 diskin.dennis 3 Gregg P. Snell 3 Huck 3 Karsten Heitmann 3 Pacal 3 Roland 3 SAS User 3 Sigurd Hermansen 3 Wiel Maessen 2 Bassett Consulting Services, Inc. 2 Carina Ortseifen 2 Christian F.G. Schendera 2 David L Cassell 2 Douglas Dame 2 Edel, Christoph 2 Frank Mwaniki 2 FRS-LiteWate 2 Gerhard Hellriegel 2 Greg Woolridge 2 Hockey Richard 2 JP 2 Karsten Self 2 L. Bertolini 2 Lary Jones 2 Michael S. Zdeb 2 Mike Rhoads 2 Nelson Kinnersley 2 Puddin' Man 2 Ray Pass 2 Richard...

Re: SAS-L Panel / SAS-L Archives #3
I think, actually, this is one of the great strengths of mailing lists; SAS-L in particular: Mistakes don't survive. If you ask an "expert", he or she may get it wrong. Everyone makes mistakes (except Ian :-). People can also misunderstand questions. But, if you post a question here, and someone posts a wrong response, or if a question is confusing, things get straightened out, usually quickly. Peter >>> "David L. Cassell" <cassell.david@EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV> 12/23/2003 4:29:34 PM >>> Jack Hamilton <JackHamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM> replied:...

Re: SAS-L Panel / SAS-L as a Resource for Learning
"Howard Schreier" <Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV> wrote: >David would like to see more people post questions and answers >together. In other words, if one encounters a problem and solves it, >with or without SAS-L help, it is worthy to document that process for >the benefit of others. I do that occasionally, and so do others, but I've found that such posts usually seem to drop into a black hole. If there's no reaction, why bother? -- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Manager, Technical Development Metrics Department, First Health West Sacramento, California...

Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) #5
I think that SAS and R are very similar, even though their designs are very different. What matters is that both can be used to accomplish the same things - just as English and Swahilli serve the same purpose (communication) equally well. As for the copyleft "mess", do you really believe the propaganda and outright lies perpetrated by some companies? Remember, they want you to pay $$$ for your software, and copyleft poses a huge threat to that goal. -----Original Message----- From: Peter Flom [mailto:flom@NDRI.ORG] Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 12:57 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA....

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #5
Good deal Bob, atleast that company was headed in the right direction IMO... I have given such tests and taken them. I ussually give them a data set, the specs I want them to follow, and a example of what I want the output to look like. Then I tend to give them like 4 or 5 hours if they need it to complete the project. In reallity they should be done in an hour or so. The test should be challenging but not too challenging, and the solution should involve a few data steps, procedures, and some type of reporting..... Toby Dunn Comprimise is like telling a lie, it gets easier and easier. Each comprimise you make, that becomes your standard. Perfection doesnt exist, once you reach it, its not perfect anymore. It means something else. From: Bob_Abelson@HGSI.COM Reply-To: Bob_Abelson@HGSI.COM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:22:59 -0400 I interviewed at a company that gave a test where I had a half hour to produce a very simple report using PROC REPORT. I was provided all the manuals I wanted, but because I had used PROC REPORT before, I wanted none of them. I finished in five minutes, and most people on SAS-L would be able to beat that time. Bob Abelson HGSI 240 314 4400 x1374 bob_abelson@hgsi.com "toby dunn" <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM> Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 09/04/2007 05:15 PM Please respond to "toby d...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #8
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Alan Churchill wrote: > It seems that a test like this would toss me out of the pool from the > get-go. Heck, maybe that's what the goal would be ;-] Well then, maybe the rest of us might have a chance then :) Given that I have not used SAS regularly in months, I would be hurting. Hopefully, I would not be tossed immediately either. Isn't one point of the test to allow a organization to call itself a partner or some other distinction? Maybe to be listed among companies on SI's websites? Kevin Kevin Viel, PhD Post-doctoral fellow Department of Genetics Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research San Antonio, TX 78227 ...

Web resources about - Re: Leading 5 spaces in subject line on SAS-L #8 - comp.soft-sys.sas

Leading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... here. For the city and metropolitan borough in West Yorkshire, England, see Leeds . For other uses, see Lead (disambiguation) . "Line leading" ...

Buckeye Nation? Ohio State Dominates Oregon in Facebook Conversation Leading Up to Title Game
While the University of Oregon is favored over Ohio State University in Monday night’s College Football Playoff National Championship Game Presented ...

Hürriyet Daily News - LEADING NEWS SOURCE FOR TURKEY AND THE REGION
Hurriyet Daily News is the leading news source for Turkey and the region. Hurriyet daily news, turkish daily news, turkish news, hürriyet daily ...

Is Developer Forum Activity a Leading Indicator of Facebook Platform Economy Health?
Facebook developer Jesse Farmer has slurped the Developer Forums for the last 3 months and found some powerful trends: since January, posts per ...

Tehran Times - Iran's Leading International Daily
Tehran Times - Iran's Leading International Daily

CNN Leading Women (@CNNIwomen) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here CNN Leading Women @ CNNIwomen ...

Virtual-Strategy Magazine - Your leading source for virtualization news
Virtual Strategy Magazine is an online publication devoted entirely to virtualization technologies.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan
DailyTimes delivers the latest breaking news and information on the latest top stories, entertainment, business, cricket, politics, and more. ...

Mobile News Online - The UK's leading mobile communication industry news site
This month, thousands of students will be starting university for the first time. Some will need new phones. Mystery Caller is on the case to ...

Who are the UK’s Leading Social Business Influencers?
We have attempted to create a list of the top Social Business Influencers in and around the UK. These influencers have, through what they have ...