Re: Merging SAS Dataset with Flat File on the fly - Need HELP

Define a view on the flat_file?.  Here is an outline of one approach.  You will have to fill in with you own filenames and variables.

data flat_file / view=flat_file;
  infile "<your_path_to_flat_file>" <your_options>;
  input <your input statement>;
run;
data merged_file;
  merge driver(in=in_driver)
        flat_file;
  by <merge variables>;
  if in_driver; *if you want to limit records;
run;

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund
Planning, Performance, and Accountability
Research and Data Analysis Division
Olympia, WA  98504-5204
0
NordlDJ (920)

Re: converting sas transport files into sas datasets
Once you have assigned an xport libname you can read it in like a normal dataset. libname out xport 'C:\Documents and Settings\kdt\Desktop\class.xpt'; *- Create xport file; data out.class; set sashelp.class; run; *- Create work file from xport file; data work.class; set out.class; run; 2008/12/17 <pramila.sami@gmail.com>: > Hello All, > > Could anyone please give me the code for converting sas transport > files into sas datasets. thanks in advance. > ...

Re: running a sas file within a sas file
Like Joep wrote: that seems to be the right thing for the macro facility. With %include you are very static. With the macro facility that could be very dynamic. The simplest thing is: you could provide the statements you want to insert as parameter: %macro doit(stmt1=,stmt2=); ..... &stmt1 ..... &stmt2 ..... %mend; %doit(stmt1=%str(y=sqrt(y);), stmt2=%str(if y<2 then y=2;) ); with many other things you can do, e.g. conditional creating of statements, naming variables by parameters, create multiple statements with macro loops and much more. On the other hand: if you want to do such simple things like you wrote, avoid any %INC or %MACRO things! It is far more readable, if you don't use %INCLUDES. What do you think, that data-step will do: data a; %inc(inc1); %inc(inc2); %inc(inc3); run; ??? instead of: data a; set sashelp.class; if age>11 then age=11; keep name age; run; Gerhard On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 01:42:03 -0700, Joep Steeman <jsteeman@BUSINESSDECISION.COM> wrote: >On 9 jun, 09:20, zpe...@NATURE.BERKELEY.EDU (Zach Peery) wrote: >> Sorry to bug you all with such an easy one, but I havent had much luck >> with the usual help sources. >> >> I just want to run a sas program file within a sas program file. For >> example, in sas file 1 I want to set x equal to 2, then with file 2 >> invoked by file 1, I want to set y = 3. >> >> So sas file 1 looks like this... >> &g...

Re: combine n SAS datasets in to one SAS dataset.
If you use the dictionary tables try Proc SQL - it will run much more quickly than a datastep: %let lib=YourLib; %let mem=file2007; proc sql noprint; select MemName into :MemList separated by " &lib.." from dictionary.tables where LibName=upcase("&lib") and MemType='DATA' and MemName eqt upcase("&mem"); quit; data &lib.File_History; set &lib.&MemList; run; hth Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@L...

Re: combine n SAS datasets in to one SAS dataset. #4

Re: SAS System Viewer 9.1 unable to open SAS datasets ( SAS 9.1.3)
A question in return: is your table from windows? compressed from another system? and specially with personnel formats hard coded inside? Andre msiddu2000 a �crit : > SAS System Viewer 9.1 was able to open datasets that were created by > V8 engine (SAS 8.2), but is unable to open datasets that are created > with V9 engine (SAS 9.1.3). > > Does this need SAS System Viewer to be upgraded ? > or > Something else needs to be done ? > > -- Andr� WIELKI INED (Institut National d'Etudes D�mographiques) Service Informatique 133 Boulevard Davout 75980 Paris Cedex 20 m�l : wielki@ined.fr t�l : 33 (0) 1 56 06 21 54 ...

Re: SASTip104
Hi Phil liking this tip, I tried it, only to find it very useful but I want more. How can we persuade the links to work? Regards Peter Crawford P.S. to invoke without scratching around for system path and sas root, use windows command start to open explorer via registry %sasroot% as the windows syntax to use an env var, like: 3 option noxsync noxwait; 4 x 'start explorer.exe ms-its:%sasroot%\core\help\fsp.chm::/fsp.hlp/a000007097.htm' -----Original Message----- From: Phil Mason [mailto:tips@woodstreet.org.uk] Sent: Mon 28/06/2004 09:03 To: Cc: Subject: SASTip104 - Findin...

converting sas transport files into sas datasets
Hello All, Could anyone please give me the code for converting sas transport files into sas datasets. thanks in advance. ...

Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET
One thing you might do is to add an index on the snap_dt to the dataset; = if that's there then you should be able to delete the records in place: proc sql; delete from prod.master_date; where snap_dt =3D "&end_dt"d; quit; run; In both the ways you are trying now you are creating new data sets = rather than deleting records from the current data set; it would seem to = me that a SQL delete statement would be faster than creating new = datasets even if there isn't an index on the date.=20 -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: SUBSCRIBE SAS-L Chandra Gadde=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 12:14 PM Subject: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET Hi All I have several SAS datasets that are very very big. (50GB of size). = Every month, the data is being appended to these datasets. I need to deleted = the data which is greater than 24 months. What is the best method to do = this? Please help me. I tried PROC SQS and DATA STEP. But these two are taking very long = time. Data prod.Master_data; set prod.master_date; if snap_dt =3D "&end_dt"d then delete; run; proc sql; crete table prod.master_date from prod.master_date where snap_dt ne "&end_dt"d; quit; Hi You've got good ideas how to delete the old observations. My modify proposal was wrong. Sorry about that! I still think that changing the data model would be a good idea. Regards Patrick ...

Re: Is there a system option for OpenVMS SAS version 8 where a sas program can create an output file with a file attribute of "Stream_LF" so that these external files c
Charles Patridge <charles_s_patridge@PRODIGY.NET> wrote: > Is there a system option for OpenVMS SAS version 8 where a sas program can > create an output file with a file attribute of "Stream_LF" so that these > external files can be served through an Apache WebServer properly? > > Currently, what happens is when we create a CSV file, the Apache Webserver > wants to load the contents of this CSV file into a single cell for Excel. > That is, all OBS are treated as a SINGLE record and all the contents is > loaded into a single cell within Excel. > > T...

Re: SAS
Chandu, You should be able to find some info in the SPD Engine section of the on-line documentation. HTH, Ken -----Original Message----- From: chandu.isi@GMAIL.COM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Sent: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:03:00 -0700 Subject: SAS - 9; Partition of SAS Datasets. Hi All, Recently I heared from some of my friends...that SAS - 9 supports PARTITION of SAS datasets. I tried for getting syntax and some details, but couldn't able to get. Is anyone has any idea about the partitions of SAS datasets, if so can any one help me out on this? Thanks in advance. Chandu. _____...

Re: How to read a SAS log into a SAS dataset.
lazybone2k@GMAIL.COM wrote: > >Dear SAS-L listers, >This may be the millionth time somebody is asking this question " how to >read a SAS log into a SAS dataset?". I looked at previous posts and >gathered info from various SUGI papers and found a way to get the log and >read it. But i dont know for some reason its not working. Please help me. >I used a Proc printto procedure to print the log to a external file >location and try to read in the log and create a SAS dataset which will >contain info about Filename, Owner name, Group name, Elapsed time, CPU >t...

Re: MVS Merge Variable Data Using SAS Merge or SAS SQL JOIN #2
A: You may want to consider using nested queries to create the keys that you need to join the tables? That gives the SQL compiler a way to bound the search space. For example, proc sql; create table temp as select * from (select <key transformation>,* from small) as t1 left join (select <key transformation>,* from large) as t2 on t1.<transformed key> EQT t2.<transformed key> ; Now the SQL compiler has two keys from the same domain that it can index or use as sort keys. This method works with composite keys as well. Just make sure that the <transformed key> v...

Re: SASTip104
Hi All, A couple of additional tidbits: For 8.2, if the SASonlinedoc has been (separately) loaded, you typically get an entry in your Start/Programs/The SAS System/SAS OnLine Doc V8 a link to start it up. Additionally the: C:\Program Files\SAS Institute\SAS\V8\core\help\base.hlp\docloc.htm notates that you can add the supplied entries into your SAS configuration file to tie it in. For v9, the onlinedoc seems to be part of the load/install process. However, you certainly can create a Shortcut for example the "Index" tab portion of the onlinedoc by creating a shortcut icon to: &qu...

Re: SAS 9.2 Update on problem re Help files
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:25:35 -0400, "Peter Flom" <peterflomconsulting@MINDSPRING.COM> said: > Hi again > > A week ago, I asked this list about a problem with 9.2: When you click > "help" it runs an index, but it doesn't save the index when you quite > SAS, so, each time you quit SAS, you lose the index. > > Replies received here did not work, so I wrote to SAS. > > They said, essentially, that it's a known bug, and they are working on > it. So you're responsible for the item in today's Tech Support Notes. Congratulations! That's almost as good as having a disease that gets you mentioned in the MMWR. > > Peter > > Peter L. Flom, PhD > Statistical Consultant > www DOT peterflom DOT com -- Jack Hamilton Sacramento, California jfh@alumni.stanford.org <== Use this, not jfh@stanfordalumni.org ...

Re: SAS 9.2 Update on problem re Help files #3
Yes, I encountered the same problem, although I hadn't got around to contacting SAS. AnnMaria DeMars, Ph.D. Senior Statistical Consultant University of Southern California Customer Support Center Information Technology Services ademars@usc.edu (213) 740-2840 On Aug 25, 2008, at 6:25 AM, Peter Flom wrote: > Hi again > > A week ago, I asked this list about a problem with 9.2: When you > click "help" it runs an index, but it doesn't save the index when > you quite SAS, so, each time you quit SAS, you lose the index. > > Replies received here did not work, so I wrote to SAS. > > They said, essentially, that it's a known bug, and they are working > on it. > > Peter > > Peter L. Flom, PhD > Statistical Consultant > www DOT peterflom DOT com ...

Re: SAS 9.2 Update on problem re Help files #2
SNOTES is an approximately daily email from SAS STech Support listing the new or changed usage notes since the last email. So the item pertaining to you was: 32792 - SAS prompts you to rebuild the index when you press F1 to request help while running a SAS procedure in SAS 9.2 Release(s) Reported: 9.2 Release(s) Fixed: Date Created: 28JUL2008 Date Last Updated: 11AUG2008 http://support.sas.com/kb/32792.html To subscribe, go to http://support.sas.com/techsup/news/snotes.html You'll get an extra email on most workdays, but if you subscribe to SAS-L you'll hardly notice one more. There's also http://support.sas.com/techsup/news/tsnews.html It has news about tech support office hours and a few other things. If you want even more news, and you have an RSS reader, you can go to http://support.sas.com/community/rss/index.html On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:10:05 -0400 (GMT-04:00), "Peter Flom" <peterflomconsulting@mindspring.com> said: > Hi Jack > > I don't think I've ever looked at tech support notes ..... where is it? > Is it useful for browsing? > > Peter > > -----Original Message----- > >From: Jack Hamilton <jfh@alumni.stanford.org> > >Sent: Aug 25, 2008 11:08 AM > >To: Peter Flom <peterflomconsulting@mindspring.com>, "sas-l@listserv.uga.edu" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> > >Subject: Re: [SAS-L] SAS 9.2 Updat...

Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET #19
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:26:14 -0400, SUBSCRIBE SAS-L Chandra Gadde <ddraj2015@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >When I used this code, I am receiving the following warning. It completely >deleted my prod.master_date SAS Dataset. Do you know what is going on here? > >WARNING: This SAS global statement is not supported in PROC SQL. It has >been ignored. In PROC SQL, WHERE must be a clause within a statement, not a freestanding statement. Get rid of the semicolon immediately before the word "where". Incidentally, I think the warning is inaccurate in referring to a WHERE statement as a global statement. > > > >On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:17:25 -0500, Mary <mlhoward@AVALON.NET> wrote: > >>One thing you might do is to add an index on the snap_dt to the dataset; >if that's there then you should be able to delete the records in place: >> >>proc sql; >> delete from prod.master_date; >> where snap_dt = "&end_dt"d; >>quit; >>run; >> >>In both the ways you are trying now you are creating new data sets rather >than deleting records from the current data set; it would seem to me that a >SQL delete statement would be faster than creating new datasets even if >there isn't an index on the date. >> >>-Mary >> ----- Original Message ----- >> From: SUBSCRIBE SAS-L Chandra Gadde >> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >> Sent: Friday, August ...

Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET #18
Chandra, This is an excellent suggestion from Ian! Perhaps just recreate the = data set (you would in that case want to recreate, and thus NOT use the = SQL delete statement) once every 2-3 months and delete 2-3 months worth = of data at that time; it would seem that that wouldn't take too much = longer than deleting 1 month at a time, and thus the total time would be = reduced by as much as 50%. And this would meet my favorite efficiency marker, since I've met a lot = of people who don't want to work weekends and have yet to meet a = computer who cares, "less people time!" -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: Ian Whitlock=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 6:07 PM Subject: Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET Summary: Suggestions for maintaining large data set #iw-value=3D1 Chandra, You are adding about 2 gig per month. That is 4% increase. Perhaps accepting the increase one month and then modifying the second month would make more sense, if the data is accessed infrequently. To do this you need to control all programs that read the data set. ...

Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET #8
On 8/15/08, Mary <mlhoward@avalon.net> wrote: > A view helps on deletes, but I wonder how it affects performance of querying the data- wouldn't storing the data in 24 different locations cause a significant slowdown in perfomance upon querying the data versus having it all in one table that is indexed? If this data is queryied a lot but only deleted once a month, the time in querying (which probably is in peak time) could be much more important than the time in deleting (which could be run when the computer is not busy, such as nights or weekends). It is not the VIEW that has an influence on deleting the old data. I would think that having the 24 indexed data sets might be about as good as having the giant data set. I would think the indexes could be used while accessing the data through views. Where's that guy that says he knows everything about using indexed data sets? I would agree that much depends on how the data is used. And I don't know the answers to those questions. > > -Mary > ----- Original Message ----- > From: ./ ADD NAME=Data _null_, > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 3:51 PM > Subject: Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET > > > Summary: PROC DATASETS; AGE statement. + VIEWs > > This won't help you delete data from your very big data set, but you > may find this example interesting. > > You say you append data monthly to a big data set then when b...

Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET #2
Chandra - this isn't my expertise area - I'm sure others may have better ideas but I'll make three comments. If your datasets have a large number of variables, in your datastep method a WHERE clause will be more efficient - the IF statement causes each record to be fully read before it can be selected for deletion. A WHERE clause would only read the single variable in the case of records that meet the criteria for deletion. Data prod.Master_date; set prod.master_date; where snap_dt ne "&end_dt"d; run; You probably would be better off changing your data model though - my first thought would to be to store your data as separate yearly or monthly files and then access them with a view of the past two years or 24 months. With each month or year you would delete the oldest file and change the view one time period forward. *set up the data; data time1 time2 time3 time4; do i = 1 to 100; do t = 1 to 4; if t=1 then output time1; if t=2 then output time2; if t=3 then output time3; if t=4 then output time4; end; end; run; *three successive example views; data filet1 / view=filet1; set time1 time2; run; data filet2 / view=filet2; set time2 time3; run; data filet3 / view=filet3; set time3 time4; run; One more thought - since the data are appended - if the file is not reordered and you have the record counts from each append - then you can use firsto...

Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET #11
And what about the time of the database administrator who now needs to = keep track of 24 indexes to each index in the previous table? I just = can't see our DB2 administrators would have ever thought to organize the = data this way, though we had many very large tables, like the user had, = that were purged by month; it does seem like it would be a lot of = "people work" to manage 24 tables plus one index instead of just one = table, even if querying didn't suffer(and I do think that it could).=20 -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: Chang Chung=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 5:03 PM Subject: Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET hi, good point! but as shown below, you can make a view of multiple = datasets having the separate indexes, and where seems to be fine with this. interesting. ran on sas 9.1.3 sp4 on windows. cheers, chang /* test datasets */ data one two; set sashelp.class; ds =3D "one"; output one; ds =3D "two"; output two; run; /* separately index on age */ proc datasets lib=3Dwork; modify one; index delete age; index create age; modify two; index delete age; index create age; quit; /* make a view of two datasets appended */ proc sql feedback; drop view work.oneTwo; create view oneTwo as select * from one union select * from two order by age; quit; /* where is utili...

Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET #4
Summary: PROC DATASETS; AGE statement. + VIEWs This won't help you delete data from your very big data set, but you may find this example interesting. You say you append data monthly to a big data set then when big gets too big you need to clean out the old. And that takes a very long time. However if you don't physically append but use a view to append/combine you may find it easier to get rid of the unwanted old data. Consider this code. it pushes MonthlyUpdate onto the stack of 24 data sets and the 24th data set is deleted. Then all the data sets get renamed to produce a new group of 24. You can see from the notes how the operation works. The data sets don't have to use a numbered range M01-M24 I did that for my convenience. proc datasets library=work; age MonthlyUpdate m01-m24; run; quit; NOTE: Deleting WORK.M24 (memtype=DATA). NOTE: Aging the name WORK.M23 to WORK.M24 (memtype=DATA). NOTE: Aging the name WORK.M22 to WORK.M23 (memtype=DATA). NOTE: Aging the name WORK.M21 to WORK.M22 (memtype=DATA). NOTE: Aging the name WORK.M20 to WORK.M21 (memtype=DATA). NOTE: Aging the name WORK.M19 to WORK.M20 (memtype=DATA). NOTE: Aging the name WORK.M18 to WORK.M19 (memtype=DATA). NOTE: Aging the name WORK.M17 to WORK.M18 (memtype=DATA). NOTE: Aging the name WORK.M16 to WORK.M17 (memtype=DATA). NOTE: Aging the name WORK.M15 to WORK.M16 (memtype=DATA). NOTE: Aging the name WORK.M14 to WORK.M15 (memtype=DATA). NOTE: Aging the name WORK.M13 to WORK.M14 (me...

Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET #5
I also read that this could be a problem on machines that have multiple = processors, such as running DB2; if the data is clustered and each = processor takes care of one cluster, then you could have queries all = hitting the same processor instead of distributing the load across all = processors, thus potentially slowing down queries in peak periods where = you have multiple queries at the same time, if queries tend to be based = on the month (such as bank statements). Thus I'd proceed with caution = on the idea of splitting one table into 24 tables with one view without = making sure the other consequences of doing so are fully understood. -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: Mary=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 4:09 PM Subject: Re: Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET A view helps on deletes, but I wonder how it affects performance of = querying the data- wouldn't storing the data in 24 different locations = cause a significant slowdown in perfomance upon querying the data versus = having it all in one table that is indexed? If this data is queryied a = lot but only deleted once a month, the time in querying (which probably = is in peak time) could be much more important than the time in deleting = (which could be run when the computer is not busy, such as nights or = weekends). =20 -Mary ...

Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET #12
--On 8/15/08 6:03 PM -0400 Chang Chung wrote: > good point! but as shown below, you can make a view of multiple datasets > having the separate indexes, and where seems to be fine with this. > interesting. ran on sas 9.1.3 sp4 on windows. > /* make a view of two datasets appended */ > proc sql feedback; > drop view work.oneTwo; > create view oneTwo as > select * from one union select * from two > order by age; > quit; One thought on this--at least in my general approach to using views--is you probably want to avoid the ORDER BY statement--especially if it's the variable you're indexing on and you want to use a subset. For any amount of data above a trivial one, there's no sense in forcing the view to re-order th e data if it doesn't have to. Dave ...

Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET #15
Summary: Suggestions for maintaining large data set #iw-value=1 Chandra, You are essentially making a copy of a 50GB file every month. Of course, it takes long. Consequently you either have to copy the data more efficiently or modify how the data is stored and/or used. Have you looked at system options to make this as efficient as possible? Big buffers, many buffers. Different disk handlers for input and output would also speed up the process since it is mainly IO bound. (These topics have been discussed on SAS-L, in papers, and documentation. I have not found the techniques necessary, but then I have not worked with 50 GB data sets.) You are adding about 2 gig per month. That is 4% increase. Perhaps accepting the increase one month and then modifying the second month would make more sense, if the data is accessed infrequently. To do this you need to control all programs that read the data set. It might pay to combine the previous suggestion with the MODIFY command. I suspect that SAS can skip over deleted records pretty quickly. It might pay to store the data by month and each month create a new view data prod.master / view = prod.master ; set prod.mon_x ... prod.mon_y ; run ; The process could even be automated with something like %macro prod_list ( end_dt = 1jul2008 ) ; %local i mon ; %do i = -11 %to 0 ; %let mon = %sysfunc(intnx(month,"&end_dt"d,&i)) ; %let mon = %sysfunc(putn(...

Web resources about - Re: Merging SAS Dataset with Flat File on the fly - Need HELP - comp.soft-sys.sas

Wikipedia:Merging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A merger is a non-automated procedure by which the contents of two pages are united within a single page. Merging two pages creates a redirect ...

The Current Disadvantages of Merging a Place With a Page on Facebook
... Place they’ve claimed. While there are some advantages for businesses focusing on generating foot traffic to a single physical location, merging ...

Merging Spiral Galaxies - simulating visual appearance - YouTube
This video shows a computer simulation of the appearance of two merging spiral galaxies as they would appear through a telescope, including absorption ...

Merging cultural institutions would be disastrous, say former directors
Merging the back-office functions of the major national cultural institutions would be disastrous and doomed to fail, say two former institution ...

You gotta keep ‘em separated: Google not merging Chrome OS and Android
Google has announced that it intends to keep its Chrome OS and Android platforms separate, despite the two platforms now being managed by the ...

Foxtel to close Channel V, merging it with V Hits to create new 24-hour station
Foxtel will close youth music channel&#160;Channel V and will instead cut production costs&#160;by broadcasting&#160;a&#160;24-hour music video ...

Merging of Tuscan provinces reopens old wounds
Merging of Tuscan provinces reopens old wounds

Maritime Union of Australia delegates vote in favour of merging with Construction, Forestry, Mining and ...
The Maritime Union of Australia votes in favour of a proposal to merge with the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union.

Nintendo merging handheld and console divisions on February 16
New ¥30bn Kyoto facility will allow R&D collaboration and tech sharing

Nanos Number: Merging environment and energy policy
Nik Nanos digs beneath the numbers with CBC News Network's Power & Politics host Evan Solomon to get at the political, economic and social forces ...