Re: Notes from SAS Global Forum

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Andre and Everyone (hopefully on both the dark and non-dark sides),

I'm not sure where to begin with this post, so I'll simply state some
of my random thoughts, what I'm planning to do and what I'm asking
everyone for.

Many of us who attended this year's SGF came away with the opinion that
SAS was only going to devote much energy or resources toward imporving
non-Enterprise Guide or similar GUI interfaces, particularly excluding
the interface many of us use when we run SAS.

Peter Flom is trying to put together a discussion for NESUG where a
number of us might be able to try and understand how programmers and
non-programmers (or possibly statisticians) can learn what would be
needed to better understand each others views, requirements and
idiosyncracies.

In the 37 years that I've been using SAS I've NEVER submitted an idea
for the SAS Ware Ballot.  Why?  It always appeared, to me, that the
ballot was for those who had a much better understanding of the
programming language than I would ever have.

Putting 2 and 2 together what I think is needed is a focus/discussion
group at next year's SGF devoted specifically to the topic of "What
does SAS need to know regarding what those who don't especially like
using EG want to see in upcoming enhancements and why EG won't
suffice."  However, I don't want to post my suggestion to
SASCommunity.org until I hear back from you.

I' not thinking of a focus group in the usual sense of 10 to 20 people
in a room but, rather, a panel and audience comprised of both key
players from all groups (including SAS developers, programmers,
statisticians, non-primarily-EG SAS users and managers) to discuss each
other's concerns, along with anyone who feels that they might be able
to add anything else that might be important.  By key players I'm
considering almost anyone who has been in the top 40 SAS-L posters
since 1987, however SAS-L posting most definitely isn't a requirement.

Would SAS listen and respond to our concerns?  Personally, that isn't
my goal.  From a business perspective I'd think that they would, but my
goal is simply to understand all of our views and do something to
increase the likelihood that the right people have a chance to hear
what we all have to say.

Your thoughts?

Art

p.s.  In this post I'm also trying out Jim Groeneveld's suggestion
regarding how to simultaneously post to both the listserv and usenet.
Hopefully, it won't show endlessly long lines.
-------------
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:59:57 +0200, Andre Wielki <wielki@INED.FR> wrote:
>Reading this monday morning the contributions of the WE
>i confirm that the list is since a long time splitted in two
>this discussion in on the listserv side of SAS-L (as Art is namming it)
>and unknown on the comp.sas side.  nevertheless a contribution of
>xlr82sas has recently take place 10 days ago and i forward it
>as he presents an opinion about DM and EG

Andre's full post showing the history of this thread can be found at:
http://www.listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1004d&L=sas-l&P=14645

0
Reply art297 (4212) 4/27/2010 12:07:05 AM

See related articles to this posting

Art - a few years ago, someone at SI told me (off the record, of
course) that Enterprise Guide had about 45+ developers working on it
and that the Enhanced Editor in Base SAS only had less than 5. So yes,
I think it is fair to say that the Enhanced Editor is on the decline.
Good news for coders, however. The next version of Enterprise Guide
4.3 (due out in December or thereabouts) will have Intellisense, so I
think that the switch to EG will become as close to a no-brainer as it
comes. And there is still JMP and the new IML studio for those who
insist on an alternate interface. Just my two cents. No wish or desire
to start a flame war.

Stanley
0
Reply jclguy 4/27/2010 7:41:07 PM
comp.soft-sys.sas 131358 articles. 29 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Re: REMINDER -- SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum!
In past years, some persons have posted some observations about SUGI/SGF. I would encourage some enterprising person to post your occasional note about the earth-shattering and mind-blowing events sure to occur at SAS Global Forum. And if you can get any compromising pictures of important people in the posts, so much the better!! Paul A. Thompson, Ph.D. Division of Biostatistics, Washington University School of Medicine 660 S. Euclid, St. Louis, MO 63110-1093 314-747-3793 paul@wubios.wustl.edu -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of ...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009
Congratulations to data _null_ (Hall of Fame) and Joe Matisse (SASLROY) -- well deserved. Dan Daniel J. Nordlund Washington State Department of Social and Health Services Planning, Performance, and Accountability Research and Data Analysis Division Olympia, WA 98504-5204 > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > Mike Rhoads > Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:55 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 > > In short, a good time was had by all! > > I've posted ...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #11
I thought he had been abducted by aliens. On 3/26/09, Peter Flom <peterflomconsulting@mindspring.com> wrote: > I notice that David Cassell is still at the top of the all time list, about 1000 ahead of Howard. I recently spoke with David, and he said he does plan on returning to the list in the near future. > > Peter > > -----Original Message----- > >From: Mary <mlhoward@AVALON.NET> > >Sent: Mar 26, 2009 10:02 AM > >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > >Subject: Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 > > > >Nice presentation, but the slid...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #2
My congratulations to DataNull and Joe, as well, both extremely well deserved. And, if you had as much trouble as I did in trying to click on Mike's link to the analyses, hopefully the following will work better: http://www.sascommunity.org/mwiki/images/3/3c/SGF_2009_SAS-L_Stats.ppt Art p.s. Many, many thanks to Ron Fehd and Art Carpenter for showing me how to post such links to the wiki. -------- On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:42:25 -0700, Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) <NordlDJ@DSHS.WA.GOV> wrote: >Congratulations to data _null_ (Hall of Fame) and Joe Matisse (SASLROY) -- well deserved....

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #9
Nice presentation, but the slide "up and coming" is not correct-I never had a single post before 2007 (thus 0 in 2005 and 2006), not the few numbers stated. -Mary ----- Original Message ----- From: "Arthur Tabachneck" <art297@NETSCAPE.NET> To: <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:49 PM Subject: Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 > My congratulations to DataNull and Joe, as well, both extremely well > deserved. > > And, if you had as much trouble as I did in trying to click on Mike's link > to the analyses, hopefu...

Re: REMINDER -- SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum! #3
Paul, Strangely enough, yours is the second response I've received, both of them referring to compromising or incriminating photos. Are you insinuating anything about the members of this fine and respectable group??? ;-) I had previously asked one of our SAS-L photographers extraordinaire to bring a camera, however, so I guess we will see what happens ... Mike -----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu] On Behalf Of Paul A. Thompson Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 10:46 AM To: Mike Rhoads; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: REM...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #7
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:55:02 -0400, Mike Rhoads <RHOADSM1@WESTAT.COM> wrote: >In short, a good time was had by all! > >I've posted the names of the award winners at http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/SAS-L_BOF. The page also contains a link to the slides from Arthur Tabachneck's wonderful presentation on SAS-L Counts. (If you've always wanted to know who has the "most consecutive recent weeks with more than .8% of posts", be sure to check it out! ;-) ) That page is missing a column, in my opinion. I feel Joe should be acknowledged :) Congratulations to ...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #6
Congracts Joe and Data_null_ for your support and help , looking forward for more postings On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Joe Matise <snoopy369@gmail.com> wrote: > Thanks all, very honored! It's a pleasure to learn from everyone and > occasionally return some of that learning to others. I regularly amaze my > (much more experienced) colleagues with tips from the list :) > > Hopefully I'll be able to attend one of the SGFs someday soon and meet you > all! > > -Joe > > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Arthur Tabachneck <art297@netscape.net >...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #3
Hi to all, I have enjoyed a great deal with you guys. Thanks for all the fun. Regards, Murphy On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Arthur Tabachneck <art297@netscape.net>wrote: > My congratulations to DataNull and Joe, as well, both extremely well > deserved. > > And, if you had as much trouble as I did in trying to click on Mike's link > to the analyses, hopefully the following will work better: > > http://www.sascommunity.org/mwiki/images/3/3c/SGF_2009_SAS-L_Stats.ppt > > Art > > p.s. Many, many thanks to Ron Fehd and Art Carpenter for showing me ho...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #10
Thanks Joe and congratulations to you too. And thank you all for the kind words. I enjoy my time spent here on SAS-L, I learn something most every day not always just about SAS. In 30 years learning SAS I've learned more since I began participating actively in SAS-L than in all the time before that. I hope to learn a lot more in future. Maybe I will get to SGF next year. On 3/26/09, Joe Matise <snoopy369@gmail.com> wrote: > Also, congrats to _null_, very well deserved indeed - i've learned a ton > from many of you, and _null_ is high on that list :) > > -Joe >...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #16
Arthur, To my delight, I just found the archives to the USENET group that proceeded this group; it is at: http://groups.google.com/group/bit.listserv.sas-l/about Under the e-mail howard@iscsvax.uni.edu, I found I had these additional numbers: 1991: 1 post 1992: 6 posts I was using Kermit on a Vax Workstation emulating vt320... So my overall numbers may not go up very much by this new discovery, but I note that Howard Schreier WAS the TOP poster of that day with 196! posts, so you may want to add those to his overall total. -Mary ----- Original Message ----- From: "Arthur Tabachneck&q...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #14
Mike Z. has an excellent point ... but David is alive and apparently well, and was the life of SAS Global Forum. ;-) Mike Rhoads RhoadsM1@Westat.com -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mike Zdeb Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:22 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 hi ... "abducted by" or "rejoined" ... hmmmm -- Mike Zdeb U@Albany School of Public Health One University Place Rensselaer, New York 12144-3456 P/518-402-6479 F/630-604-1475 > I thought he had been a...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #8
Thanks so much for participating, data _null_; I think I learn something from you every day; perhaps people who spend time reading SAS-L learn more than people who don't read SAS-L and just go to SGF. Hopefully you can give Mike a way to send your certificate to you. And to Joe as well; congratulations to both of you. -Mary ----- Original Message ----- From: "./ ADD NAME=Data _null_;" <iebupdte@GMAIL.COM> To: <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:55 AM Subject: Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 > Thanks Joe and congratulations to you...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #17
Mary, I believe that Howard did capture those posts from Marist and, if so, they were already included in the analysis. However, now that you remember having posted with a previous email address, update your information on Howard's SAS-L project. The correctness of the annual analyses is dependent on each user's ensuring that a correct mapping exists. Logon to: http://www.howles.com/sas-l/ User: saslguy Password: caryncusa Art ------- On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:07:07 -0500, Mary <mlhoward@AVALON.NET> wrote: >Arthur, > >To my delight, I just found the archives...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #12
I notice that David Cassell is still at the top of the all time list, about 1000 ahead of Howard. I recently spoke with David, and he said he does plan on returning to the list in the near future. Peter -----Original Message----- >From: Mary <mlhoward@AVALON.NET> >Sent: Mar 26, 2009 10:02 AM >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 > >Nice presentation, but the slide "up and coming" is not correct-I never >had a single post before 2007 (thus 0 in 2005 and 2006), not the >few numbers stated. > >-Mary > > ...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #5
Also, congrats to _null_, very well deserved indeed - i've learned a ton from many of you, and _null_ is high on that list :) -Joe On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Joe Matise <snoopy369@gmail.com> wrote: > Thanks all, very honored! It's a pleasure to learn from everyone and > occasionally return some of that learning to others. I regularly amaze my > (much more experienced) colleagues with tips from the list :) > > Hopefully I'll be able to attend one of the SGFs someday soon and meet you > all! > > -Joe > > > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 7:49...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #4
Thanks all, very honored! It's a pleasure to learn from everyone and occasionally return some of that learning to others. I regularly amaze my (much more experienced) colleagues with tips from the list :) Hopefully I'll be able to attend one of the SGFs someday soon and meet you all! -Joe On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Arthur Tabachneck <art297@netscape.net>wrote: > My congratulations to DataNull and Joe, as well, both extremely well > deserved. > > And, if you had as much trouble as I did in trying to click on Mike's link > to the analyses, hopefully t...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #13
hi ... "abducted by" or "rejoined" ... hmmmm -- Mike Zdeb U@Albany School of Public Health One University Place Rensselaer, New York 12144-3456 P/518-402-6479 F/630-604-1475 > I thought he had been abducted by aliens. > > On 3/26/09, Peter Flom <peterflomconsulting@mindspring.com> wrote: >> I notice that David Cassell is still at the top of the all time list, about 1000 ahead of Howard. I recently spoke with David, and he said he >> does plan on returning to the list in the near future. >> >> Peter >> >> -----Original Me...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #15
Mary, Yes, I indeed did have an overgeneralization of your address in my code, namely sender eq M and L and HOWARD. Correcting for that brought your 2008 posts down 1 to 202, left your 2009 posts at 1009 (btw congratuations for breaking the 1000 mark), and showed absolutely no posts before 2007. As mentioned in the powerpoint's disclaimer, the analyses may well contain errors and omissions, but hopefully only minor ones. Art ------- On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:02:31 -0500, Mary <mlhoward@AVALON.NET> wrote: >Nice presentation, but the slide "up and coming" is not correct-...

Re: Meet Genuine SAS-L Authors at SAS Global Forum 2007
Meet Genuine Long-time Continuously Posting SAS-L Authors or MVS at SAS Global Forum 2007 My ten-year anniversary slipped by me back in Jan: Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 10:52:00 EST Sender: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU> From: "Fehd, Ronald J." <rjf2@PHPDLS1.EM.CDC.GOV> Subject: SUGI 22: macros to analyze multiple response data http://www.listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9701C&L=sas-l&P=R2926 Darn, should have had a beer that night! Oh! I'm at SGF! No excuse for a...

Re: REMINDER -- SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum! #4 686014
And remember this *important* note: The SAS-L BOF is not for just me and Toby. You do not have to post to SAS-L to come to it. Posters, readers, question-askers, lurkers, you-name-it. Everyone is welcome. David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330 _________________________________________________________________ Get a FREE Web site, company branded e-mail and more from Microsoft Office Live! http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/ ...

Re: REMINDER -- SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum! #4 1561893
I had thought of having a daily post to the list provided I can get access to the internet. I will hope and presume that in this day and age that my hotel will have access that I can use from my room. As for the pictures, geez I know Dorfman has or had some pictures where we were all crawling over a big metal fence trying to get of the big area in Philly after the kick off party. Toby Dunn You can see a lot by just looking. ~Yogi Berra Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought. ~Matsuo Basho You never know what is enough, until you know what is more t...

Re: Meet Genuine SAS Book Authors at SAS Global Forum 2007
Will they provide cream pies for us to throw at the Authors he he he just joking Mikeee.... Toby Dunn You can see a lot by just looking. ~Yogi Berra Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought. ~Matsuo Basho You never know what is enough, until you know what is more than enough. ~William Blake, Proverbs of Hell From: Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM> Reply-To: Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Meet Genuine SAS Book Authors at SAS Global Forum 2007 Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 15:23:43 -0400...

Re: Meet Genuine SAS-L Authors at SAS Global Forum 2007 #2
Ron, At least ask difficult trivia questions, not one which all avid sas-l readers know without even thinking. This is the seventh anniversary of your LaTex use. Art ---------- On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 11:54:05 -0400, Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI) <rjf2@CDC.GOV> wrote: >Meet Genuine Long-time Continuously Posting > SAS-L Authors > or MVS > at SAS Global Forum 2007 > >My ten-year anniversary slipped by me back in Jan: > >Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 10:52:00 EST >Sender: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS...