Re: Notes from SAS Global Forum

Andre and Everyone (hopefully on both the dark and non-dark sides),

I'm not sure where to begin with this post, so I'll simply state some
of my random thoughts, what I'm planning to do and what I'm asking
everyone for.

Many of us who attended this year's SGF came away with the opinion that
SAS was only going to devote much energy or resources toward imporving
non-Enterprise Guide or similar GUI interfaces, particularly excluding
the interface many of us use when we run SAS.

Peter Flom is trying to put together a discussion for NESUG where a
number of us might be able to try and understand how programmers and
non-programmers (or possibly statisticians) can learn what would be
needed to better understand each others views, requirements and
idiosyncracies.

In the 37 years that I've been using SAS I've NEVER submitted an idea
for the SAS Ware Ballot.  Why?  It always appeared, to me, that the
ballot was for those who had a much better understanding of the
programming language than I would ever have.

Putting 2 and 2 together what I think is needed is a focus/discussion
group at next year's SGF devoted specifically to the topic of "What
does SAS need to know regarding what those who don't especially like
using EG want to see in upcoming enhancements and why EG won't
suffice."  However, I don't want to post my suggestion to
SASCommunity.org until I hear back from you.

I' not thinking of a focus group in the usual sense of 10 to 20 people
in a room but, rather, a panel and audience comprised of both key
players from all groups (including SAS developers, programmers,
statisticians, non-primarily-EG SAS users and managers) to discuss each
other's concerns, along with anyone who feels that they might be able
to add anything else that might be important.  By key players I'm
considering almost anyone who has been in the top 40 SAS-L posters
since 1987, however SAS-L posting most definitely isn't a requirement.

Would SAS listen and respond to our concerns?  Personally, that isn't
my goal.  From a business perspective I'd think that they would, but my
goal is simply to understand all of our views and do something to
increase the likelihood that the right people have a chance to hear
what we all have to say.

Your thoughts?

Art

p.s.  In this post I'm also trying out Jim Groeneveld's suggestion
regarding how to simultaneously post to both the listserv and usenet.
Hopefully, it won't show endlessly long lines.
-------------
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:59:57 +0200, Andre Wielki <wielki@INED.FR> wrote:
>Reading this monday morning the contributions of the WE
>i confirm that the list is since a long time splitted in two
>this discussion in on the listserv side of SAS-L (as Art is namming it)
>and unknown on the comp.sas side.  nevertheless a contribution of
>xlr82sas has recently take place 10 days ago and i forward it
>as he presents an opinion about DM and EG

Andre's full post showing the history of this thread can be found at:
http://www.listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1004d&L=sas-l&P=14645

0
art297 (4213)

Art - a few years ago, someone at SI told me (off the record, of
course) that Enterprise Guide had about 45+ developers working on it
and that the Enhanced Editor in Base SAS only had less than 5. So yes,
I think it is fair to say that the Enhanced Editor is on the decline.
Good news for coders, however. The next version of Enterprise Guide
4.3 (due out in December or thereabouts) will have Intellisense, so I
think that the switch to EG will become as close to a no-brainer as it
comes. And there is still JMP and the new IML studio for those who
insist on an alternate interface. Just my two cents. No wish or desire
to start a flame war.

Stanley
0
jclguy

Re: Out of Area Calls #17
bonomi@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) writes: > pointed out that the law made *no* such provision for delay on an > -internally-maintained- list, and required that they update my > _customer_record_ with a note that 'customer has ordered us -never- to > make marketing calls to him', and the date/time. Three days later, > somebody "didn't read" the notes, and called me. I promptly demanded > a supervisor, had them read the account 'notes', and asked if they > wanted to pay the statutory $500 minimum, or if I needed to go to &g...

RE: Question to Kerry Main
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@vaxination.ca] > Sent: June 30, 2007 8:31 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Question to Kerry Main >=20 > Mr Main, your arguments on c.o.v. are often rebutted as part of normal > debating process. (And you rebutt other arguments with your own > responses). >=20 > In real life, do you also find customers and potential customers > having > similar questions ? Or do you conclude that we, in c.o.v. are a > sepcial > bunch living in a totally different universe without a clue...

Re: Creating a new variable? #4
Hi, Yes, you can do it easily. This is one solution: Proc sort data=3DTab1; by Id; run; Data Tab1; set Tab1; by Id; retain INC 0; if first.Id then INC=3D0; Inc=3Dinc+1; run; Le 16:01 7/02/2006, vous avez =E9crit: >Hi > >I have alarge data set in which I have a unique ID, for each id there are= 49 >observations, now I want to create a new variable which would be equal to 1 >for first observation and increment in steps of 1 to 49 and then reset to 1 >and continue. is there a way of doing this? > >thanks > >Vj Alexandre BAUDRY Unit=E9...

Re: ot
A very good all purpose server product of this nature that I have extensi= ve=20 experience with is FirstClass (www.firstclass.com). * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * ...

Re: String question #6
As Howard example shows the last observation passed incorrectly, Is there a reason why the third observation(123 12) did not pass incorrectly. Is that a length issue or something different? On Thu, 1 May 2008 09:50:19 -0400, Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org> <schreier.junk.mail@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >On Thu, 1 May 2008 08:16:37 -0400, Richard A. DeVenezia ><rdevenezia@WILDBLUE.NET> wrote: > >>Dominic Mitchell wrote: >>> input var1 var2 $6.; >>> cards; >>> 99 9982 >>> 998 998 >>> ; >> >>The INPUT statem...

Re: Really Frustrating -9628 Errors #2
On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 14:23 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote: > We've written several Informix stored procedures that return MULTISET as > the type; the application than does a SELECT a,b,c FROM > TABLE({procedurename}({parameterlist...})). And these WORK!!! But only > for awhile, the next day, or after a couple of days suddenly they stop > working - and they haven't been changed. They simply start to bomb out > with a -9628 (type not found) error for any SQL statement like the > above. > We are using "IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 10.00...

Re: More SQL simplification
Roger: In your version of the query, SAS 'remerges' summarized values back to the original dataset. It actually works the same as the query that joins a view to the original dataset. The simpler form of the query does not in general across different flavors of SQL. Sig -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Roger Lustig Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 7:12 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: More SQL simplification Pat: You've answered your own question! No reason you can't do a GROUP BY while selecting colum...

Re: question about data values #11
Howdy Toby - The V9 compress function has new useful modifiers to handle all numbers, all letters, typewriter characters etc. http://xrl.us/gk8j In this case D is for digits 0-9 and K is for Keep (rather than compress). 10 data _null_ ; 11 x = 'A1234' ; 12 y = input(compress(x,'','DK'),5.0); 13 put x= y= ; 14 run ; x=A1234 y=1234 regards as always - Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of toby dunn Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 4:41 PM To: SAS-L@...

Re:
This is an autoresponder. I'll never see your message. ...

Re: [HP3000-L] Save and Re-Use a File Equation
Jay writes: > What I'd like to do is to save the file equation with the parameters the > user entered, and then re-use that file equation after the checks are > printed. Like this: > > 1. Enter printer name, etc for reports > 2. Submit job, which does: > a. file report;dev=<parameters from 1 above> > b. run program A > c. file print=checks;dev=lp;forms=mount checks > d. run program B to print checks > e. file report;dev=<parameters from 1 above> > f. run program C to create report to print on printer ...

Re: array label question #9
Here's another approach. conceptually similar to the previous posts..... data _null_; %let colmns = ; do yr = 2007,2008; do qtr = 1 to 4; do channel_cd = 1 to 3; do Incentive_Type = 1,2; call symput ('colmns', symget ('colmns') || ' ' || '_' || catx('_',yr,qtr,channel_Cd,Incentive_Type)); end; end; end; end; run; data transpose (drop = yr qtr channel_cd incentive_type contacts) ; format &colmns best32.; array all [2007:2008, 1:4, 1:3, 1:2] _all_; do until(last.indiv_id) ; set have; by indiv_id; all{yr,qtr,ch...

Re: How to obtain FrameTicks List from an existing Plot?
t = Range[5]; p = ListPlot[t, Frame -> True]; FrameTicks /. AbsoluteOptions[p] Bob Hanlon ---- Nasser Abbasi <nma@12000.org> wrote: ============= I have a need to obtain the FrameTicks list from an existing plot. The reason I want to do this, is because I need to slightly modify the ticks, and then redraw the plot with the new Ticks. This would be much easier than having to generate the Ticks myself in the first place. This is an example: t = Range[5]; p = ListPlot[t, Frame -> True] But when I look at FullForm[p], I see no list would would look like the...

Re: Question re Canon iP1500 #2
Been busy for a few days, so didn't get a chance to get back here. But need to ask about your message below. "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1144285405.300198.236870@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > > Do y ou mean I could fix the problem of the waste ink absorber myself? I > > thought you can't see it by just looking into the printer > > The waste counter you can reset with the service tool QY9-0066 as Tony > explained. You can get it here > http://www.printersiam.com/data/download/iP1500%20Service%20Tool.zi...

Re: Apple's iPod Raises Bar For Digital Music Players
Hey- Check out this great site that is giving away totally FREE iPods! I've joined and I think you should as well. It's a completely legitimate offer, and this company has already given away $4 million in FREE stuff! All you have to do is join, complete an online offer, and refer friends to do the same. That's it! Here is my referral link. To help me get my iPod, click this exact link to join, or copy and paste it into a browser: http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=12703712 Monty Solomon wrote: > Apple's iPod Raises Bar For Digital Music Players > By W...

Re: Now That They're Mounted ... #9
Correct me if I'm wrong, but MPE does not provide automatic failover in the event a controller dies. Yes, you can connect 2 controllers, but one won't take over for the other in the event of failure. That's an important distinction to recognize. John Lee Vaske Computer Solutions At 03:35 PM 8/18/04 -0400, Gilles Schipper wrote: >At 03:20 PM 2004-08-18, you wrote: >>O.K. two brain farts. Can't have more than 7 logical drives. > > >The mod20 supports up to 8 luns or logical drives. > > >>And you can't split the SCSI, (and u...

Re: own package doesnt work correctly?
Martin, Symbols like x and I are set up in the package`Private` context once you put the definition inside the package. So they won't match Global`x or Global`I in a notebook using the package. You could either add the Global` context to these symbols in the package, or better yet pass them as parameters to the rule. partintrulx[x_,I_]:= ..... David Park djmp@earthlink.net http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/ From: Martin [mailto:ms_usenet@gmx.de] Hello, I started to - try to - use packages written on my own, using the Notebook editor, marking the cells as initializa...

Re: Call System in UNIX #7 1547219
Dear SAS-L-ers, Michael D. Ross posted the following interesting question: > Hi All, > I'm having trouble with the following code in Unix. It > creates the "dump.txt" file in the specified directory; > however, it has 0 records in it. Any suggestions? > > > > %let progs = /temp/mydir; > > data _null_; > command= " ll &progs *.sas > &progs/dump.txt"; > call system (command); > run; > Michael, I see it! It appears that you are falling prey to a subtle problem in your DATA _NULL_ step. Your problem is with the spac...

Re: New to SAS #2
Here is a very good paper that covers "everything" about learning more about SAS. It lists many resources of varying types, including SAS-L: http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi30/147-30.pdf -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of sfitzpatrick76@googlemail.com Sent: January 14, 2008 3:11 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: New to SAS I'm new to SAS and Data Extraction generally, does anyone have any hints, tips or advice that might be useful? I'm interested in: related websites, programming languages, programmes, b...

Re: Thanks Harry Re: SAS Data Step Qn.
Use Eric's solution, it's cleaner. -----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu]On Behalf Of Jeff Morison Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 3:03 PM To: Droogendyk, Harry; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Thanks Harry Re: SAS Data Step Qn. This worked out perfectly Harry, thanks very much. --- "Droogendyk, Harry" <harry.droogendyk@RBC.COM> wrote: > data a; > input HRN : CDATE : date7. STAGE : > start : stop; > format cdate date9.; > cards; > 609 21JUL03 2 307 ...

Re: Canada to Criminalize Watching Foreign TV and Radio #2
On Mon, 10 May 2004 cfarrar@spamcop.net wrote: > Ex-patroit and "snowbird" Canadians are know to take Bell ExpressVu > satellite receivers down to their winter homes in Florida, South > Carolina, and Nevada so they can received CBC and other "home" > programming. However. Bell isn't licenced for use in the US and the > FCC could just as easily start seizing their receivers. There is nothing illegal under US law in taking your legitimate Bell ExpressVu receivers into the US and using them in the US. -- Mark -- http://staff.washington.edu/...

RE: Re: corrected RE: Re: Computing sets of equivalences #2
This was all nonsense, >-----Original Message----- >From: Wolf, Hartmut >Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 3:05 AM >To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net >Subject: Re: corrected RE: Re: >Computing sets of >equivalences > > > >Bobby, > >it took me a while to discern what you added to Carl's >algorithm. It's the >line where you map addequiv over the rest of the argument sequence. > >But it is not at all obvious to do so, since in effect you do >not built on >the work done, but, in a way restore equivalences, which w...

Re: OT:Boys,Its Cold Outside #15
>While at K I Sawyer AFB, 74-77, there was discussion of Northern Michigan >becoming a seperate state. They though it was a SUPERIOR idea. I remember that - I come from Northwestern Wisconsin, and as I recall it was Upper Penninsula Michigan and the Northern Wisconsin wanted to combine and form a new state. I think that they actually wanted to call the state "Superior". In the pre-cable days, the only television we could get in were Minnesota stations. Couldn't even get in the Packer games unless they were playing the Vikings. If you didn't know that ther...

Re: Change an added Abbreviation in enhanced editor
From the SAS System Help - (see modify below) Using Abbreviations You can define a character string so that when you type it and then press the Tab key or the Enter key, the string expands to a longer character string. For example, you could define the abbreviation myv6sasfiles, which would expand to 'c:\winnt\profiles\myid\personal\mysasfiles\v6';. Abbreviations are actually macros that insert one or more lines of text. To create an abbreviation Select Tools Add Abbreviation . In the Abbreviation field, type the name of the abbreviation. In the Text to insert for abbreviation ...

Re: Scan function #5
Hi Chris - Since it looks like you have quoted text following a numeric value, you can use the location of the first quote as a breaking point. data test; infile cards; input ; var1=input(substr(_infile_,1,index(_infile_,'"')-1),best.); var2=substr(_infile_,index(_infile_,'"')); cards; 11 "In particular consultants like the "new" medical course" ; Replace the _infile_ variable name with your variable name in the var1 and var2 lines. hth Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- Fro...

RE: [ace-users] Has ACE been tested on Win2003 SP1 #2
Hi, > > There are daily builds on Windows 2003 > > Are any of these on Service Pack 1? The web page only > reports that the > 2003 machines (which seem to be running TAO tests, not ACE) have an OS > of "Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]". I think that all Win2003 > machines give that output in response to the "ver" command, regardless > of what service pack or hotfixes they contain. > > By the way, to whoever is responsible for the scoreboard web > pages, you > may want to look at using the output of systeminfo ...