Re: Parallel Processing in SAS

Jer wrote:
> I've heard that there are opportunties to do some parallel processing if
> your server has multiple CPUs.

I think there are also opportunities for parallel processing with single
CPU machines that support threading; one tread can execute while another
is waiting for I/O to complete, for example.

> We have 4 CPUs running on windows 2003 SP1.
>
> Anyone have any insight or articles about Parallel processing?

You might look through the SAS web site; there have been several SUGI
papers about parallel processing, and probably some SASGloF papers as well.

> I heard only a few procs can actually utilize and take advantage of parallel
> processing, but wasn't sure.

There are only a few procedures (SORT and SQL and the
SUMMARY/REPORT/TABULATE family are probably the most commonly used, but
there are other ways to get parallel processing.

If your program can be split manually into appropriate chunks, you can
use Multi-Processor Connect to parallelize your work.  You could also
use regular connect, but there are some advantages to MP Connect.

There is a pipe engine that uses parallel processing.

In 9.2, there will be a threaded database and a threaded data step;
neither is exactly like the current base engine and data step.

I think the SPDE libname engine uses parallel processing for searches;
there's also a SPDS table server product.

Some SAS/Access products use multithreading for data transfer.

There is a grid computing option, but that runs on multiple machines.

I've probably left some out; look through the SAS Scalability and
Performance web pages at
<http://support.sas.com/rnd/scalability/intro/index.html> as well as the
SUGI papers at <http://www.lexjansen.com/sugi/index.htm>.
0
jfh (1342)

Re: SAS Parallel processing
Ram, if (for obvious reasons since you are rsubmitting code) you can not give us ready-to-run code then at least show us the error messages you get. Kind regards Robert > -----Urspruengliche Nachricht----- > Von Ram > Gesendet: Dienstag, 31. Juli 2007 02:51 > > Hi, > > I am relatively new to SAS parallel processing scene and trying to > work on the following piece of code using SAS 9 on a PC. The remote > server has 4 processors and this is a UNIX based server. On my PC > windows based SAS, I execute the following code after connecting to > the remote serve...

Re: SAS Parallel processing #4
prsana@GMAIL.COM wrote: > >Hi, > >I am relatively new to SAS parallel processing scene and trying to >work on the following piece of code using SAS 9 on a PC. The remote >server has 4 processors and this is a UNIX based server. On my PC >windows based SAS, I execute the following code after connecting to >the remote server. > >options autosignon=yes ; >rsubmit; /* Begin simulation */ >options symbolgen ls=96; >options sascmd='!sascmd -nosyntaxcheck' autosignon=yes >cpucount=ACTUAL; > >%macro StatsModel(startLoop=, endLoop=, inputf...

Re: Faster SAS processing --in parallel?--
Dear SAS-L-ers, Rick posted the following interesting question: > I'm rather *new* in SAS-land so please humor my lacking > "SAS-code lingo" > > I've got a HUGE piece of SAS code that I've written for > work...and I'm trying to clean it up to get it to run faster. > I was *thinking*: > > In SQL, you can run a "SET CURRENT DEGREE=ANY" to utilize > parallelism in a DB2 server and allow up to 64 instructions > to be run at the same time. I typically only get 20-30 > degrees of parallelism each time, but it cuts a 20-30 minute ...

Re: SAS CONNECT/SAS Display Manager or BASE SAS
Dear SAS-L-ers, Abc Unha posted the following: > Hi, > We have SAS EBI Server license. Many or our SAS Programmer wants to > use BASE > SAS (or SAS Display Manager) instead of SAS Enterprise Guide. > > But As you know Windows Server comes with only two terminal licenses. > I see that we have SAS/CONNECT license (which came with BI suite). Can > I > install BASE SAS on PC and use SAS/CONNECT to run code on the server? > Or Do we have to buy PC license for BASE SAS? > > What's options we have. Please help. > Abc, I can't claim to know the ABC'...

Re: SAS Parallel processing #3 694182
Dear SAS-L-ers, Ram posted the following: > I am relatively new to SAS parallel processing scene and > trying to work on the following piece of code using SAS 9 on > a PC. The remote server has 4 processors and this is a UNIX > based server. On my PC windows based SAS, I execute the > following code after connecting to the remote server. > > options autosignon=yes ; > rsubmit; /* Begin simulation */ > options symbolgen ls=96; > options sascmd='!sascmd -nosyntaxcheck' autosignon=yes > cpucount=ACTUAL; > > %macro StatsModel(startLoop=, end...

Re: SAS Parallel processing #3 1565310
Like Robert said: it is impossible to help you without knowing anything, but your machines and how many processors they have. We don't know, where the problem is located, if we don't know which errors you get! One idea: you say, you test macros in your local environment? When you call them in remote programs, you get errors? Maybe something that the macro %xyz is unknown? That's the case if they are local to your PC and you submit and execute code on a remote machine! By the way: do we talk of parallel-processing, or remote-processing? Gerhard On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:29:15 +020...

Re: Faster SAS processing --in parallel?-- #2
I've presented a couple papers at SAS Conferences on MP/CONNECT running under Version 8.2--they'll be most useful if used in conjunction with Cheryl Donninger's paper. http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi26/p269-26.pdf http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi27/p107-27.pdf ...

> From: Amar Mundankar > Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:10 AM > To: sas-l@uga.edu > Subject: What r the data types in SAS? in Base SAS , and SAS SQL > > Hi all, > What are the different data types in Base SAS and SAS SQL?? character, lengths from 1 to 32,000+ numeric: lengths from 2 to 8 dates are a subtype of numeric and are identified by their date, datetime, or time formats the new proc TSPL (Table Server Processing Language) supports ANSI data types: bigint, tinyint, etc. http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/tsag/30878/HTML/default/a003 065339.htm http://s...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year.
I took the advanced exam this April because I wanted a relatively systematic way of assessing my knowledge of SAS in a short time span. For that purpose, it was worth it. Since I learn SAS by doing new tasks, or re-doing old tasks in a new way, I assume my knowledge of SAS is uneven, even though I am regarded as productive, and frequently creative in using SAS to solve our group's problems. I passed the test, with lower subscores on the components that I expected to be weakest on. I thought many of the questions made me think about some fundamental, sometimes subtle, features of the lan...

Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux))
I use both SAS and R; I"ve used SAS for 10 or 15 years, R for about 6 months - 1 year. Each has strengths and weaknesses; I'd not like to give up either. Strengths of SAS (esp. compared to R) Tech support - I have SAS tech support's phone number and our license number memorized. They're great. SAS-L - There's also an R-help list, and it's also great, but the mood is different; r-help is less welcoming to newbie questions, silly questions, badly worded questions, not directly on topic questions, and so on. Dealing with large data sets - I don't do this much, b...

how to add fonts to the sas registry (was RE: Re: sas/graph:
Success! A google search led me to: http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/base/91/freetype-hub.pdf Which includes the magic option on FONTREG to use the "all" mode. (And now that I look back on the FONTREG docs, I see it there was well :-P). So here's code that works: * =================================== ; proc fontreg mode = all msglevel = verbose ; truetype 'c:\windows\fonts' ; run ; data phoney ; do n = 1 to 2000 ; x = ranuni(-1) ; if n le 1000 then grp = "one" ; else grp = "two" ; output ; end ; run ; gopti...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #8
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Alan Churchill wrote: > It seems that a test like this would toss me out of the pool from the > get-go. Heck, maybe that's what the goal would be ;-] Well then, maybe the rest of us might have a chance then :) Given that I have not used SAS regularly in months, I would be hurting. Hopefully, I would not be tossed immediately either. Isn't one point of the test to allow a organization to call itself a partner or some other distinction? Maybe to be listed among companies on SI's websites? Kevin Kevin Viel, PhD Post-doctoral fellow Department of Geneti...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #6
I interviewed at a company that gave a test where I had a half hour to produce a very simple report using PROC REPORT. I was provided all the manuals I wanted, but because I had used PROC REPORT before, I wanted none of them. I finished in five minutes, and most people on SAS-L would be able to beat that time. Bob Abelson HGSI 240 314 4400 x1374 bob_abelson@hgsi.com "toby dunn" <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM> Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 09/04/2007 05:15 PM Please respond to "toby dunn" <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM> To SAS-L@LISTSE...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #2
jontugman, Test preparation is akin to following a simple algorithm: 1. Evaluate the test and discover if it is worth taking. 2. If #1 evaluates false then go to exit. 3. Determine if your *test* knowledge of SAS is insufficient. 4. If #3 evaluates true, do the test preparation. 5. Pay the money. 6. Take the test. 7 Exit. From your standpoint, the step of paramount importance is step #1. That is where you mainly failed. From SAS' standpoint, only one step matters: #5. This is the only reason the test was created in the first place. The world would be a better place if all employers un...

Web resources about - Re: Parallel Processing in SAS - comp.soft-sys.sas

Analog signal processing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Analog signal processing is any signal processing conducted on analog signals by analog means. "Analog" indicates something that is mathematically ...

Hyatt warns of malware on its payment-processing system
Hyatt Hotels Corp. says it found malicious software on the computer system that processes customer payments, raising the possibility that hackers ...

Conexant Announces New Audio Processing Solutions At CES
At CES, Conexant gave me a demo of some of the audio processing technology that they've been working on. Conexant is a company that probably ...

Two atoms make quantum memory, processing gate, and test of entanglement
(credit: University of Maryland ) Quantum systems are inherently fragile as any interactions with the outside world can change their state. ...

Government "Processing Error" Sinks Housing Reports for Entire Year; Where to From Here?
Huge "Processing Error" in Government Housing Data When I saw some of the upwardly revised GDP estimates in 2015 I thought they were too good ...

THE PAYMENTS ECOSYSTEM: Everything you need to know about the next era of payment processing
The way we pay has changed dramatically. People are using their smartphones for every kind of formal and informal transaction — to shop at stores, ...

Audi turns to Qualcomm power for entertainment, navigation processing
Qualcomm proves its chip-making innovation, announcing a deal at CES where Audi will use its first automotive quality infotainment chipset, the ...

Google patches critical media processing and rooting vulnerabilities in Android
A new batch of security fixes for Android address flaws that could allow attackers to compromise devices via rogue emails, Web pages, and MMS ...

Feds Stop Processing NICS Denial Appeals
Obama Administration Enacts More Gun Control By Misusing FBI Background Check System

This just in: Marco Rubio's substance is thinner than an Intel processing chip
In case you hadn't already guessed it, Marco Rubio's got a smile and a stump speech, but that's about it. Reporters who have followed him from ...