Re: Please share: Updated PC SAS 9.2 phase 1 to 9.2 phase 2

D T  wrote:

> I am following Ronald Fehd's thread, but am also very interested
>in finding out if anyone else has experiences with updating single PC
>SAS 9.2 phase 1 to phase 2? Did you have problems? Would you recommend
>it? Also, can someone clarify what is considered metadata in the
>context
>of this migration?

I downloaded phase 2 a couple days ago and today I decided to install it
on a test machine.  It did not go smoothly.  At one point I did have SAS
working and could run programs, but the install process was very
perplexing.  Here are some observations.

9.2 phase 1 to 9.2 phase 2 is not a migration, it is a reinstall.

My licenses are for single workstations, but the installation program
wants to install a single machine BI server with Jboss.  I have yet to
figure out how to simplify the install.

The installer has to initialize multiple userids, passwords, email
accounts, an smtp server etc, when configuring the BI server, metadata
server, application server, web host etc.  The need for all these things
was baffling.

While SAS foundation and its goodies installed flawlessly, various
server components and configuration components failed.  Despite all the
errors during install the Display Manager loaded and I was able to
execute SAS programs.

I decided to uninstall and restart, in the hope of streamlining the
process by unselecting the server products.  When I got to the point
where it asked for a password for an admin account the install refused
to proceed because it says I typed in a wrong password or the server is
not running.  At this point, I am unsure what to do.  I will probably
back up and install all the defaults and see what happens.

Among other duties I do all the SAS support at my site.  Without a less
cumbersome install procedure I don't see phase 2 software being widely
deployed.  9.2 Phase 1 has new Stat and ODS stuff I really like so I may
just stick with it.

I can see how a very general install procedure that works the same
across many computing environments would be attractive to SAS Institute,
but this one needs a lot of tweaking, IMHO

Jerry
0
jwd (72)