From: Peter Flom [mailto:flom@NDRI.ORG]
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 12:57 PM
To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS,
redux))

No, sorry if I made it sound that way.....

SAS and R are totally different in the way they work, how they
are
structured, what the statements look like, and so on.  Not like
French
and Spanish, not even like English and Spanish.  More like
English and
Swahilli.

R has a lot in common with S Plus, both are based on the S
language.
But there is no hostility that I know of between S Plus and R
(unlike
the situation with Linux)

Peter

>>> <ben.powell@CLA.CO.UK> 2/5/2004 10:36:32 AM >>> wrote

Sounds like R is the SAS equivalent of Linux .. who are
incidentally in
all
sorts of a copy left/right mess at the moment.

________________________________
15 Mbytes Free Web-based and  POP3
Sign up now: http://www.gawab.com
0
br44092 (78)

Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) #4
No, sorry if I made it sound that way..... SAS and R are totally different in the way they work, how they are structured, what the statements look like, and so on. Not like French and Spanish, not even like English and Spanish. More like English and Swahilli. R has a lot in common with S Plus, both are based on the S language. But there is no hostility that I know of between S Plus and R (unlike the situation with Linux) Peter >>> <ben.powell@CLA.CO.UK> 2/5/2004 10:36:32 AM >>> wrote Sounds like R is the SAS equivalent of Linux .. who are incidentally in all sort...

Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) #2
Sounds like R is the SAS equivalent of Linux .. who are incidentally in all sorts of a copy left/right mess at the moment. On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:39:37 -0500, Peter Flom <flom@NDRI.ORG> wrote: >I use both SAS and R; I"ve used SAS for 10 or 15 years, R for about 6 >months - 1 year. > >Each has strengths and weaknesses; I'd not like to give up either. > >Strengths of SAS (esp. compared to R) > >Tech support - I have SAS tech support's phone number and our license >number memorized. They're great. > >SAS-L - There's also an R-help list...

Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) #3
Wow, that was a leap. Better not use Apache or PHP then. Andy >-----Original Message----- >From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On >Behalf Of ben.powell@CLA.CO.UK >Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 10:37 AM >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) > >Sounds like R is the SAS equivalent of Linux .. who are >incidentally in all >sorts of a copy left/right mess at the moment. > >On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:39:37 -0500, Peter Flom <flom@NDRI.ORG> wrote: > >>I use both SAS a...

Re: SAS vs. SPLUS vs. SAS #3
I don't know much about trials work, but it has been discussed on the r-help list, and there are definitely people who use R for this type of thing Peter -----Original Message----- >From: Paul Miller <pjmiller_57@YAHOO.COM> >Sent: Dec 11, 2009 4:09 PM >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: SAS vs. SPLUS vs. SAS > >Hello Everyone, >� >I’ve recently become interested in sequential clinical trials designs. I’ve purchased a book that discusses the topic called “Analysis of Clinical Trials using SAS: A Practical Guide.” Upon trying to run some of the ...

Re: SAS vs. SPLUS vs. SAS 220046
If you are referring to matrix manipulations which can be performed employing routines made available with PROC FCMP, those routines are not an adequate substitute for a full-fledged matrix programming language. Also, I have found that the matrix routines are not really accessible in SAS/STAT procedures the way that they should be. I have brought this to the attention of SI. Their response was that they were not aware of the problems until I reported that I could not employ the matrix operations during execution of NLMIXED code. On further consideration, they determined that the...

Re: SAS vs. SPLUS vs. SAS #4
matrix is indispensible tool in implementing modern data mining algorithm, but we only have native matrix opertion capability in IML. Recently I discovered that in SAS/Base SAS/Stat, we were able to conduct several important matrix manipulations and I able to translate those prototype algorithms on textbook into SAS. I just submited a paper to SGF2010 on this topic, hope the paper can be accepted. On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:09:32 -0800, Paul Miller <pjmiller_57@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >Hello Everyone, >� >I’ve recently become interested in sequential clinical trials des...

Re: SAS vs. SPLUS vs. SAS #2 1617385
Hi Paul have not used S-Plus since around 2000-2002 so this may be Old News from S-Plus conference attendance they know their strength is: * rapid prototyping * great graphics downside: * you want speed! load all data into memory! column-wise operations * need to upgrade hardware w/more memory for large data sets * check documentation to find BigData functions which, iirc, operate like SAS does: row-wise previous version: v7 current version: v8.1 *** SAS: SAS/IML now has IML/Studio which enables access to R programs R is the open-source version of S+ ...

SAS vs. SPLUS vs. SAS 149448
Hi Dale, Peter, Ron, Ken, Ajay, and "Oloolo", =A0 Thanks for your replies to my questions about using SAS and SPlus for seque= ntial trial design. As I said earlier, I feel that, as a data manipulation = procedure,=A0IML ought to be included in Base SAS. So I don't think we're g= oing to pay the extra $6400=A0for it ($6400=A0for the first year plus $1200= every year thereafter). And=A0Seqdesign and Seqtest=A0probably won't be re= ady for use in the "production environment" at any point in the near future= ..=A0So it looks like I need to find a non-SAS=A...

Re: SPSS vs. SAS, redux #5
I agree that you need to be a "statistician" and a "programmer (of sorts)", however let me express my 2 cents. I am both a statistician and a programmer who uses both SPSS and SAS. I find that the point and click method in SPSS sometimes helps save time. For example, while I do code in both SPSS and SAS when using SPSS if I am doing a simple analysis, I can run the point and click method and have SPSS generate the code. I can then take that code, review it to ensure it is doing what I want, copy it and past to a "syntax" file and then alter the code in any way...

> From: Amar Mundankar > Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:10 AM > To: sas-l@uga.edu > Subject: What r the data types in SAS? in Base SAS , and SAS SQL > > Hi all, > What are the different data types in Base SAS and SAS SQL?? character, lengths from 1 to 32,000+ numeric: lengths from 2 to 8 dates are a subtype of numeric and are identified by their date, datetime, or time formats the new proc TSPL (Table Server Processing Language) supports ANSI data types: bigint, tinyint, etc. http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/tsag/30878/HTML/default/a003 065339.htm http://s...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS
Eric , If you go this route make sure you have SAS/Connect module as you will want to more than likely rsubmit your code to the mainframe have it do the heavy lifting and then just shoot theresults back to your PC. From my experience I would have rather just stayed with the mainframe. YOu will need to teach people the difference between server side and client side and how to write and mod the existing programs accrodingly. Also you will need to be careful with using macros and macro variables as you really have to understand when things get resolved and when things get passed and how to pass a macro variable from the client side to the server side. As for a drain on your PC, not much unless you start donloading abunch of really big datasets. Then yoru gonna eat your PC harddrive space. Toby Dunn When everything is coming at you all at once, your in the wrong lane. A truly happy person is someone who can smile and enjoy the scenery on a detour. From: elsolo <elsolo21@YAHOO.COM> Reply-To: elsolo <elsolo21@YAHOO.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 08:16:57 -0700 We currently use SAS on a mainframe running z/os. We are contemplating moving to the SAS for Windows version. I'm trying to put together a list of pros and cons. For pros, I have simple things such as: Friendly user interface, better reporting directly from sas, easier to export files, easier to automate projects. For Cons I have obv...

WPS and R vs. SAS and SAS/STAT
I am looking at the price for getting SAS software. I will need SAS/ STAT and SAS/GRAPH as well. I can not afford (and do not want to pay) the =806000 for the first year and the =802000 for each year after that so I am thinking of getting WPS and R and the WPS to R bridge because it is much cheaper. Has anyone tried to do this in earnest and what were their findings? Is this a feasible combination for doing clinical reporting? ...

SAS-L Panel / SAS-L vs. SAS Institute Tech Support
[This is part of a report on a panel discussion about SAS-L which took place during the 2003 NESUG conference. Partcipants: Paul Dorfman, Ron Fehd, Phil Mason, Barbara Okerson, Dianne Louise Rhodes, David Septoff; also Ray Pass] On the subject of SAS-L vs. SAS Institute Tech Support ... Dianne noted that a real strength of SAS-L is that it functions 24 hours a day, seven days a week. She recalled a situation in which she helped somebody who had a project deadline on Christmas Eve. Ron pointed out that SI technical support sometimes is slower because problems often must be handed off, somet...

Re: SAS vs BUGS, R, SPSS, etc. #5
Tom There is one paper from Guo et al (2000) where they have discussed multilevel modeling with binary data . If you go to multilevel modeling website http://www.cmm.bristol.ac.uk/ you will find a paper by Kelvin Jones where they have discussed various softwares of multilevel modeling . Once you read this you will have an idea which softwares you need for your study. BUGS is concerned with Bayesian approach, you can download it free but its totally bayesian multilevel modeling. You can also visit Judith Singer webpage where you will find a ppt entirely devoted to multilevel modeling softwares. I have tried almost all softwares except Mlwin & I must admit SAS Glimmix is the best. All the best ! On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Phil Rack <PhilRack@minequest.com> wrote: > Well, I think you have the tools to find out! After all, R is free to > download and use so cost is not a barrier. I personally don't enjoy using > R, > but I find a lot of people are using it and are able to accomplish some > good > work. My personal opinion and preferences is to use SAS (or WPS) to prep > data and do basic reporting. If I couldn't afford the SAS statistical > modules, I would use R, BUGS (your posting is the first time I've ever > heard > of BUGS) or take a look at RAPID-I. > > Other than scoring the data set, do you really need to perform statistical > calculations on all the observations? Can you sample from your data to >...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #15
Sander, I disagree. There is no way that a mainframe is stronger than a grid. A mainframe can be part of a grid and hence is a subset. As an example, a mainframe cannot do search queries faster than Google. The old comparison of a PC and a mainframe cost-wise is out of date. Today's PCs can be extremely safe and maintainable, they are fast in every measure, and they provide a much better user experience. Wall clock time, my guess is that the jobs will also run faster. With quad-core PCs available by this Christmas running virtualization, you could have an 8 way on the desk, running RAID...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #24
I agree that the days of large mainframe purchases are nearing their end, but for a slightly different reason - licensing costs. MVS is very expensive compared to Linux, and doesn't make up for the increased licensing fees by reducing the need for support personnel. In the case of SAS, you can buy a server license that's just big enough to suit your needs, instead of a license for a machine where 99% of the users will never invoke SAS, directly or indirectly. MVS is much better at resource control than Unix (and I think it's Unix that's replacing MVS, not Windows), but it...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #30
Joe is right. In short, many years ago (in a gigantic mainframe shop) I was asked to "look at" a tabulate-like report produced by 100,000+ lines of Cobol code b/c something was wrong with the numbers. I am not a Tabulate expert, so it took me a whole hour to write the Table statement producing about the same as Cobol - only with correct figures (since it was Tabulate doing the aggregation). SAS programs had been then prohibited from production (Cobol-only), so using my output (together with Tabulate formatting) as a template, two highly qualified Cobol programmers were given a month ...

Re: PHREG SAS 8 vs SAS 9
Sorry I changed the number of loops to 10 instead of 1000 to reduce the running time. But still, it takes much longer in SAS 9 compared to SAS 8... ----- Original Message ----- From: "Francois Torche" <torche@i-minds.be> Sent: Fri, December 19, 2008 13:58 Subject:PHREG SAS 8 vs SAS 9 Hi All, The following code runs in less than a minute on SAS 8.2 and more than 11 on SAS 9. I know it's something related to PHREG but I don't know why? Any help would be appreciated ;-) Thanks, François <CODE> PROC FORMAT; VALUE dis_fmt 1='Case' 0='Control'; VALUE exp_fmt 1='Vaccntd' 0='Unvaccntd'; RUN; DATA test (label = Output Case-Control Macro 19DEC08:13:18:12 Search B); Ncases = 200; C_C_Rat = 2; Vac_Cov = 0.8; Market_sh = 1; OR = 0.5; Alpha = 0.05; _theta = 2.5; Limit = 1; Uplow = "U"; OUTPUT; RUN; DATA test; SET test nobs=last; IF _N_ = last THEN CALL SYMPUT("NofTest",put(_N_,best.)); if (Vac_cov * OR)/(1-Vac_cov+Vac_cov * OR) > 1 then delete; RD = (OR-1) * Vac_cov * (1-Vac_cov) / (1-Vac_cov + OR * Vac_cov); Zalpha = PROBIT(1-Alpha/2); LABEL Ncases = "Number of cases" C_C_rat = "Case-control ratio" VAC_COV = "Vaccination coverage - baseline - P(vaccinated|not ill)" OR = "Odds Ratio" Alpha = "Alpha Error - Type I" Limit = "Upper or Lower limit for the confidence interval of OR or VE" Uplow = "Say if Limit is an upper or lower lim...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #16
Von: SAS(r) Discussion Im Auftrag von Alan Churchill Gesendet: Montag, 18. September 2006 13:47 Betreff: Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS Whale vs school of minnows is the popular analogy. Alan While our popular analogy is: How many Cessna's does it take to replace a Boeing 747? 8^) Robert ...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #34
In the late 80's, I watched an IT department refuse to give our outlying lab enough computing power. So our lab put in some unix boxes, and one of our guys installed a Wollongong setup so that the unix network could talk with the VAX that was all we were supposed to have. The IT guys flew out to argue with us that unix was a bad decision. They said, "You can't talk to the VAX systems!" We said, "We do already. Look! It's already up and running!" Their response: "No, you can't get that to work." None are so blind as those who will not see. ...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #28
What was it recently? No camera phones. That didn't last long because they are all now camera phones. I went onsite at one place that disabled USB ports to block USB keys. Another place said that Visual Studios was a security risk. On that one, they finally backed down when I simply said "prove it". It's non-ending with them. That's why a lot of companies outsource the function because they hinder business. Alan Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LI...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #29
the Dilbert character "Mordac, Preventer of Information Technology" I remember hearing so many stories of the bizzare "rules" some shops would adopt. Paul has a story about use of Tabulate at one shop he worked. --Joe ---- Original message ---- >Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:13:02 -0600 >From: Alan Churchill <SASL001@SAVIAN.NET> >Subject: Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > >What was it recently? No camera phones. That didn't last long because they >are all now camera phones. I went onsite at one place that disabled USB &g...

Re: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS #35
As I recall, at an SUGI opening session around 1999 or 2000, Dr. Goodnight remarked that one firm had solved their Y2K problems by electing to install SAP. The installation was so costly that they went bankrupt. Nat Wooding ----------------------------------------- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message contains information which may be legally confidential and/or privileged and does not in any case represent a firm ENERGY COMMODITY bid or offer relating thereto which binds the sender without an additional express written confirmation to that effect. The information is intended s...

Re: SAS-EG Vs PC-SAS #2
Praveen, Remember that EG is generating SAS code and then submitting it to a SAS server for execution; EG itself does not execute the code. If you hare seeing a 5-10 fold increase in execution time, I would suspect that your hardware/software are suboptimal for what you are doing. Another possibility may be network lag caused by having to move files on the fly. Are your two programs (PC and EG) really the same? If they are, and you have eliminated everything within your power to control, then it may be time to start complaining vigourously to your management. A 5-10 fold increase is rediculous... Clint -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Praveen Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 8:40 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS-EG Vs PC-SAS Hi All, Our organization is migrating from PC-SAS to SAS-EG. It makes perfect business sense as we are a huge organization and require too many licences. We can have the server licence of EG for, say x, number of users. In this way my company can also keep the count of all the licences which different business units are using. But the problem is that we find that EG is not performing so well in terms of time taking to run codes as there is network lag, and the way EG handles the data. I use some models for forecasting which takes me about an hour each on PC, but it may take anywhere around 5-10 hours on EG. It can also be due to all those GUI which SAS has incorporated in thi...

Web resources about - Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) #5 - comp.soft-sys.sas

The Replacements (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
pioneers of alternative rock . The band was composed of the guitarist and vocalist Paul Westerberg , guitarist Bob Stinson , bass guitarist Tommy ...

Facebook’s Carolyn Everson To Spend Six Months In London, Hire Replacement For Joanna Shields
... Vice President of Global Marketing Solutions Carolyn Everson will relocate from New York to London for six months in an effort to find a replacement ...

Facebook Home: Replacement Home Screen for Android
Nicely-designed phone interface that I would personally never want to use. (They’re embedding Helvetica rather than using Google’s crummy Roboto. ...

The Replacements (@TheReplacements) on Twitter
Website has been fixed. Stay tuned to see what other shenanigans we may or may not have up our sleeves... theReplacementsOfficial.

App Store - The Complete Hair Replacement Guide
Get The Complete Hair Replacement Guide on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

The Replacements - Sixteen Blue (REMASTERED) - YouTube
Artist : The Replacements Album : Let it Be (REMASTERED) Year : 1984 Track : 10 Duration : 4:24 Songwritter : Paul Westerberg Sixteen Blue Hut..yeah..c'mon ...

Tevita Pangai thankful Canberra Raiders have found replacement in Joe Tapine
Former Canberra Raider Tevita Pangai says he left the club to join Brisbane "on great terms".

Brilliant new smart water pitcher orders replacement filters by itself
... blown. The Brita Infinity Smart Water Pitcher is a $45 smart pitcher that connects to your home Wi-Fi network and automatically orders replacement ...

Senator Demands Abbott Labs Reconsider 180 Layoffs, Foreign Replacements
Senator Demands Abbott Labs Reconsider 180 Layoffs, Foreign Replacements

Brita’s Smart Water Pitcher Orders Its Own Replacement Filters
... so many of those (admittedly safe) carbon flakes getting through the filter. So, that’s it right? They can just kick back, keep selling replacement ...