Re: RE : Re: copulas and SAS

Adel,

Think Joke!  But, more seriously, it did prompt me to look up the
origins of the copula as a functional.

Joe

--
To paraphrase G. Santayana, the SAS Macro Facility used by common SAS
programmers is an old mate that gives no pleasure and many headaches,

Re: RE : Re: copulas and SAS #3 1556650
Adel, You may find the following artilce interesting. COPULAS: TALES AND FACTSy THOMAS MIKOSCH \But he does not wear any clothes" said the little child in Hans Christian Andersen's \The Emperor's New Clothes". 1. Some preliminary facts When I started writing the paper [19] in 2003 a Google search of the word \copula" gave 10,000 responses. In September 2005 the same search gives 650,000 responses. There is an explosion of activity. What is going on? Many of the web-sites1 found in the Google search are related to mathematical nance, statistics, extreme value theory, and risk management. Everybody who opens any journal on stochastic processes, probability theory, statistics, econometrics, risk management, nance, insurance, etc., observes that there is a fast growing industry on copulas. The commercial statistics software Splus provides the module FinMetrics that includes copula tting which is written by R. Carmona, see also Carmona [4]. One can also get copula modules in other major software packages (R, Mathematica, MatLab, etc.). The International Actuarial Association [14] in its hefty paper on Solvency II2 recommends using copulas for modeling dependence in insurance portfolios. Moody's uses Gaussian copulas for modeling credit risk and provides software for it which is used in many nancial institutions. Since Basle II3 copulas are now standard tools in credit risk management. The main purpose of this paper is to ask some na ve questions a...

Re: RE : Re: copulas and SAS #3 674067
joewhitehurst@GMAIL.COM replied: > >Adel, > >You may find the following artilce interesting. [article by Thomas Mikosch not copied] This is a really good article, and a really useful point to make. But 55K is a lot of article to copy. Would it have been easier to point to a URL? The people who read SAS-L as a digest and the people who have slow connections are probably not overly thrilled. I'll refrain from pointing out that you sound like me today. ("Are you sure you want to do this? Here's some material which suggests you should try a different approach..."...

RE : Re: copulas and SAS
Thanks David, I have two variables X1 and X2 representing cognition scores , they are naturally associated, the corr=0.5 X1 is squewed on the right and X2 is fairly normal I have also a variable representing age (continuous 40+) and educational level (3 categories) My first idea is to find the best copula, archmedian copula for (X1,X2) which fits my data, and then to try to link this copula to age and eduction, a kind of quintile regression. I am looking for goodness of fit test for archimedan copula, they are easy to interpret, because of the association paramter Adel Da...

RE : Re: copulas and SAS #2
Thanks Rogerio, Do you have any examples with S+? Regards Adel rdporto1 <rdporto1@terra.com.br> a �crit : Adel, if what you want is a PROC like S+ copula functions, I don't think SAS has it yet. SAS uses a Normal copula in PROC MODEL but it doesn't do any goodness of fit test or similar. It seems that David will recomend some alternative approach but if you HAS TO use copulas, then you will have to program it. Best, Rogerio. ---------- Cabe�alho original ----------- De: "SAS(r) Discussion" SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Para: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU C�pia: Data: T...

RE : Re: copulas and SAS #3
Hi, I do not know how this is related to my orginal question. My understanding of copula is, it is a joint distribution with uniform margins, the problem how to obtain a copula which fits better a data? If there is any suggestion from members of SAS list, about examples for copulae with SAS, I will appreciate that Thanks a lot Adel Joe Whitehurst <joewhitehurst@GMAIL.COM> a �crit : David, "The complete attempt to deal with the term is would go to the form and matter of every thing in existence, at least, if not to the possible form and matter of all that does not ex...

how to add fonts to the sas registry (was RE: Re: sas/graph:
Success! A google search led me to: http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/base/91/freetype-hub.pdf Which includes the magic option on FONTREG to use the "all" mode. (And now that I look back on the FONTREG docs, I see it there was well :-P). So here's code that works: * =================================== ; proc fontreg mode = all msglevel = verbose ; truetype 'c:\windows\fonts' ; run ; data phoney ; do n = 1 to 2000 ; x = ranuni(-1) ; if n le 1000 then grp = "one" ; else grp = "two" ; output ; end ; run ; goptions device = EMF ftext = 'Tahoma' ; ods rtf file = "c:\temp\deleteme.rtf" ; proc boxplot data = phoney ; plot x * grp ; run ; ods rtf close ; * =================================== ; Looks like I've got to add that FONTREG call anew every time (running in batch anyway). But that's tolerable... Thanks all! -Roy -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Pardee, Roy Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 8:12 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: sas/graph: using truetype fonts w/ODS RTF output on windows Thanks for the response Mary! Huh, strange. So you run that code unaltered & get Tahoma in the graphic in the .rtf file? I just now tried adding this before the 'data phoney ;' line: proc fontreg mode = replace ; truetype 'c:\windows\fonts' ; run ; And I get ...

Re: RE : SAS/AF
Unnat, I'm not sure what you mean by "Microsoft Windows which has been installed on Unix server", but you can use an X Window emulator on a MS Windows client to interact with a SAS/AF application executing on a UNIX server. RandyHerbison@westat.com -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of saspatel Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 5:33 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE : SAS/AF Hi, I developed SAS/AF application and deployed on UNIX server. I would like to know that if it is possible to access SAS/AF application on Microsoft Windows which has been installed on Unix server. If it is possible then how and what kind of products need to be installed on Unix OR Windows. Regards, Unnat ...

Re: RE : SAS and French
Je lis, mais je ne parle pas - c'est trop difficile. -- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Manager, Technical Development Metrics Department, First Health West Sacramento, California USA >>> Datametric <datametric@CLUB-INTERNET.FR> 10/12/2004 12:23 PM >>> Hi dave, The sas-l is read by a lot of french spoken people. Vous pouvez envoyer vos questions, nous y r�pondrons. De m�moire, beaucoup de canadiens parlant le francais sont pr�sents �galement. De m�me, des am�ricains parlent et lisent le fran�ais, n'est ce pas Jack ? Cdt, St�phane. -----Message d'origin...

Re: SAS Sample 1728 Was ---> Re: SAS Sample 1727
Nice thread guys .... I guess this is what open source development is all about .... Got me thinking about suggesting a code/macro library on sascommunity.org? Any thoughts? ...

Re: SAS Job websites WAS(Re: SAS jobs for freshers in US
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 11:27:44 -0500, Steven Raimi <steven.raimi@ONSTAR.COM> wrote: >Another very helpful (and focused) web site for SAS jobs is >icrunchdata.com. I'll try to ....post from home later, where I have a set of links (I don't have them at my new job here, which, FYI, I found via Monster). I'll also try to avoid fumble-fingering that accidently posts my messages before I'm done writing them! Steve ...

Re: Ranges in sas? (was RE: Re: data step vs Proc sql)
Exactly. the only trick is that the range values must be integers. clint -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Pardee, Roy Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:57 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Ranges in sas? (was RE: Re: data step vs Proc sql) Woah woah woah--what's this colon business here: If ( x in (1:10) ) ; ? Is that a range, like what we have in ruby? So we can translate this as if (x in (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)) ; ? See, e.g., midway down the page here: http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/html/tut_stdtypes.html Thanks! -Roy -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ed Heaton Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 7:43 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: data step vs Proc sql Paul, Since we are on the topic of WHEN statements... I was disappointed to learn recently that the following code would not work. Data test ; Do x=1 to 15 by 0.5 ; Output ; End ; Run ; Data new ; Set test ; If ( x in (1:10) ) ; Select (x) ; When (1:5) put x= "is small." ; Otherwise put x= "is large." ; End ; Run ; This bombs on the WHEN statement. The following DATA step subsets just fine. Data new ; Set test ; If ( x in (1:10) ) ; Run ; Now, the WHERE statement doesn't process the integer list but rather it returns an error. Data new ; Set test ; ...

Re: SAS job levels redux was Re: Re: 4 WEEKS TO NESUG !!!
Peter,=20 Just curious, on our other tread (anectodal, I know, which is terrible = statistics...). =20 Do you happen to know if this guy had any formal training in = programming? Also, was he a consultant or a permanent employee?? -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: Peter Flom=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:57 PM Subject: Re: 4 WEEKS TO NESUG !!! OK, I have a question about the code clinic. I've inherited a lot of programs. The person who wrote the code was = very bright, but literally crazy (like, he's locked up now type crazy) = and was fond of writing Rube Goldberg-esque code. He did comment quite = a bit, but even with that, I am sometimes at a loss to figure why he did = what he did, whether it's a sensible method, and so on. So, my question is, what does code clinic handle? If I bring in program(s) with only a vague notion of what they are = doing, can you clinicians tell me? Seems a lot to ask..... Peter ...

Re: SAS job levels redux was Re: Re: 4 WEEKS TO NESUG !!!
Think about that little dig the next time your fire up PROC GLM or MIXED On 10/17/07, Alan Churchill <savian001@gmail.com> wrote: > ..or a statistician ;-) > > Alan > > Alan Churchill > Savian > www.savian.net > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mary > Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:05 AM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Re: SAS job levels redux was Re: Re: 4 WEEKS TO NESUG !!! > > Peter, > > Just curious, on our other tread (anectodal, I know, which is terrible statistics...). > > Do you happen to know if this guy had any formal training in programming? Also, was he a consultant or a permanent employee?? > > -Mary > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Peter Flom > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:57 PM > Subject: Re: 4 WEEKS TO NESUG !!! > > > OK, I have a question about the code clinic. > > I've inherited a lot of programs. The person who wrote the code was very bright, but literally crazy (like, he's locked up now type crazy) and was fond of writing Rube Goldberg-esque code. He did comment quite a bit, but even with that, I am sometimes at a loss to figure why he did what he did, whether it's a sensible method, and so on. > > So, my question is, what does code clinic handle? > If I bring in program(s) with only a vague notio...

Re: SAS Sample 1728 Was ---> Re: SAS Sample 1727 #3
First, let me admit/acknowledge that I have no knowledge of the history of this thread. Been tied up catching up post SAS Global Forum and post the announcement of sasCommunity.org. But I would like to offer some thoughts regarding Toby's comment: > No as for the sascommunity.org, do we really want a macro library. Well I > would say yes and no. I would like to have one and there are those who > have > paced some Macros on there already. I believe Don and Ron both have, > actually they were on there before the Wiki went public. However, since > people tend to get Ma...

RE RE
EEE ...

Re: SAS Sample 1728 Was ---> Re: SAS Sample 1727 #2
Graham , I am not sure that the SI Tech Support examples should have all the error checking that Chang wanted to throw in the macro. The examples should be clear concise and easy to read and get going, as well as be illistrative. Too much error checking in an example well is just over kill and even detrimental to an example. However, any code solution on the SI Tech Support web sit should follow basic rules of good practices and sound advice. Such as with thier macros having atleast a somewhat good Macro design. Look at Example SAS Sample 1728: The first method well lets say is soooo bad...

RE RE
EEE ...

Re: Ranges in sas? (was RE: Re: data step vs Proc sql) #2
Ooooh--interesting--thanks! I'll play with that... ________________________________ From: SAS(r) Discussion on behalf of Rickards, Clinton (GE Consumer Finance) Sent: Thu 4/20/2006 2:41 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Ranges in sas? (was RE: Re: data step vs Proc sql) Exactly. the only trick is that the range values must be integers. clint -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Pardee, Roy Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 3:57 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Ranges in sas? (was RE: Re: data step vs Proc sql) Woah woah woah--what's this colon business here: If ( x in (1:10) ) ; ? Is that a range, like what we have in ruby? So we can translate this as if (x in (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)) ; ? See, e.g., midway down the page here: http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/html/tut_stdtypes.html Thanks! -Roy -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ed Heaton Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 7:43 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: data step vs Proc sql Paul, Since we are on the topic of WHEN statements... I was disappointed to learn recently that the following code would not work. Data test ; Do x=1 to 15 by 0.5 ; Output ; End ; Run ; Data new ; Set test ; If ( x in (1:10) ) ; Select (x) ; When (1:5) put x= "is small." ; Otherwise put x= "is lar...

Re: SAS job levels redux was Re: Re: 4 WEEKS TO NESUG !!! #2
...or a statistician ;-) Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mary Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:05 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS job levels redux was Re: Re: 4 WEEKS TO NESUG !!! Peter, Just curious, on our other tread (anectodal, I know, which is terrible statistics...). Do you happen to know if this guy had any formal training in programming? Also, was he a consultant or a permanent employee?? -Mary ----- Original Message ----- From: Peter Flom To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:57 PM Subject: Re: 4 WEEKS TO NESUG !!! OK, I have a question about the code clinic. I've inherited a lot of programs. The person who wrote the code was very bright, but literally crazy (like, he's locked up now type crazy) and was fond of writing Rube Goldberg-esque code. He did comment quite a bit, but even with that, I am sometimes at a loss to figure why he did what he did, whether it's a sensible method, and so on. So, my question is, what does code clinic handle? If I bring in program(s) with only a vague notion of what they are doing, can you clinicians tell me? Seems a lot to ask..... Peter ...

RE : Re: RE : Re: contribution of independent variables in a
Thanks David, My question was about the "contribution of each indepedent vaiable in the variance of the dependent variable". I take your point , that it is not a correct question in the first time, I had some references from othe members of the list Thanks for the suggestions Adel David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM> a �crit : adel_tangi@YAHOO.FR wrote back: > > >David L Cassell a �crit : > adel_tangi@YAHOO.FR wrote: > > > >Hi, > > > > I have a continuous depedent variable y and 3 independent variable X1 > >(binary), X2 continuous and X3 (categorical with 3 categories) > > > > I have students nested within schools > > > > I am considering a random intercept model > > > > y = a + X1+X2+X3+ u+ e > > > > u the school residual > > e the student residual > > > > My question how I can compute the contribution of each of X1,X2 and X3 > >in the variation of y, using mixed, NLmixed or gllmmix > > > > > > Thanks a lot for your suggestions > > > > Adel > >This is going to sound like a post I jsut wrote a few seconds ago, but >isn't this a survey sample problem? You have a sample of schools, with >a sample of students pulled from each. That sounds like a survey sample >analysis problem to me. > >This means that the random intercept model may be the wrong approach. >What are you trying t...

Re: RE : Sas to Excel questions
According to Art, I also checked Online Doc for V9, this is a new feature for V9. Maybe we should to upgrade to V9 just for this :-) http://support.sas.com/onlinedoc/912/getDoc/proc.hlp/a002264701.htm Ya On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:30:44 +0200, Datametric <datametric@CLUB- INTERNET.FR> wrote: >The sheet statement is used with proc import. > >You can export to three .xls or use DDE filename and load into yours >specifics sheets. > >St�phane. > >-----Message d'origine----- >De : SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] De la part de Ross, >Michael D >Envoy� : mercredi 20 octobre 2004 16:20 >� : SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Objet : Re: Sas to Excel questions > > >Hi There, > The "sheet" logic doesn't seem to be working in the following. Any >suggestions? > >Tx. > >data one; >input a $ b $ c $ ; >datalines; >aaaaaaaa bbbbbbbb cccccccc >;run; >data two; >input d $ e $ f $ ; >datalines; >dddddddd eeeeeeee ffffffff >; >run; >data three; >input g $ h $ i $ ; >datalines; >gggggggg hhhhhhhh iiiiiiii >; >run; > >PROC EXPORT DATA= WORK.one > OUTFILE= "C:\excel.xls" > DBMS=EXCEL REPLACE; > SHEET="one"; >RUN; >PROC EXPORT DATA= WORK.two > OUTFILE= "C:\excel.xls" > DBMS=EXCEL REPLACE; > SHEET="sheet2"; >RUN; > >PROC EXPORT ...

Re: Question re TSCSREG in SAS
jonathan.laberge@gmail.com wrote to me personally instead of to SAS-L: > >Hi David, > >My name is Jonathan LaBerge, and I'm a Masters student in Finance >using SAS for my thesis. > >I have a follow-up question of sorts in regards to the U of Georgia >listserv discussion about R-Squared using PROC TSCSREG in SAS >(http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0704a&L=sas-l&F=&S=&P=28304) > >As I understood, your point to unplugged@gmail.com was that the >conventional OLS R-Squared measure reported by the TSCSREG procedure >does not apply to ...

Re: Sparklines was Re: sas graph
The advantage of using color=white to make the axis 'disappear' is that you still have the control to the scale of axis (order= option): goptions reset=all; axis1 color=white order=(0 to 1000 by 200); axis2 color=white; proc gplot data=sashelp.class; plot weight*height / vaxis=axis1 haxis=axis2; run; If you use noaxis option in plot statement, you can only get the scale calculated by SAS. -----Original Message----- From: Nathaniel.Wooding@dom.com [mailto:Nathaniel.Wooding@dom.com] Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:15 PM To: Huang, Ya Cc: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Sparklines was Re: sas graph I would recommend goptions reset=all; proc gplot data=sashelp.class; plot weight*height / noaxes; run; I am about to leave for the day and do not have time to search the web but as I recall, someone gave a paper on producing sparklines at NESUG last fall. Nat Wooding Environmental Specialist III Dominion, Environmental Biology 4111 Castlewood Rd Richmond, VA 23234 Phone:804-271-5313, Fax: 804-271-2977 Ya Huang <ya.huang@AMYLIN. COM> To Sent by: "SAS(r) SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Discussion" cc <SAS-L@LISTSERV.U GA.EDU> Subject Re: sas graph 02/19/2008 04:00 PM Please respond to Ya Huang <ya.huang@AMYLIN. ...

Re: Sparklines was Re: sas graph
think the STYLE is the better solution. The color - way does only work if you have the same background color. The style=0 should be independant. On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:29:49 -0500, Bross, Dean S <dean.bross@VA.GOV> wrote: > Another useful option rather than COLOR is > >STYLE=line-type >specifies a line type for the axis line. Valid values for line-type are >0 through 46. >If you specify STYLE=0, the axis line is not drawn. The default is 1, a >solid line. > >This is an option on the AXIS statement. > > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu] >On Behalf Of Huang, Ya >Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:20 PM >To: Nathaniel.Wooding@dom.com >Cc: SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu >Subject: RE: Sparklines was Re: sas graph > >The advantage of using color=white to make the axis 'disappear' is that >you still have the control to the scale of axis (order= option): > >goptions reset=all; >axis1 color=white order=(0 to 1000 by 200); >axis2 color=white; > >proc gplot data=sashelp.class; >plot weight*height / vaxis=axis1 haxis=axis2; >run; > >If you use noaxis option in plot statement, you can only get the >scale calculated by SAS. > > >-----Original Message----- >From: Nathaniel.Wooding@dom.com [mailto:Nathaniel.Wooding@dom.com] >Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:15 PM >To: Huang, Ya >Cc: SAS-L@LISTSE...

Web resources about - Re: RE : Re: copulas and SAS - comp.soft-sys.sas

Copula (probability theory) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In probability theory and statistics , a copula is a kind of distribution function. Copulas are used to describe the dependence between random ...

The Gaussian copula function tattoo
Heidi Moore has found the owner of the Gaussian copula function tattoo it's advertising copywriter Jared Elms.

Indo-European copula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... marks, boxes, or other symbols instead of Unicode characters. This verb has two basic meanings. In a less marked context it is a simple copula ...

Copula (linguistics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"To be" redirects here. For the song, see To Be . For "to be, or not to be", see To be, or not to be . A verb that is a copula is sometimes called ...

Copula (linguistics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... Shakespeare quotation, see To be, or not to be . For the philosophical concept, see being . For other uses, see Tobe . In linguistics , a copula ...

The dangerous Gaussian copula function
I’m not sure which is more flattering: someone getting the Gaussian copula function tattooed across his arm , or Donald MacKenzie titling his ...