From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of
David L Cassell
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 3:39 PM
To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: removing ?formatted missing values

mah-j@statworks.com wrote:
>I'm working with a national survey that has the missing values set as .L
>and
>.M- (I'm not sure whether this is some kind of a format as these show up as
>. missing in frequencies etc.)- is there a general statement that I can use
>to remove these from the 100+ variables in the dataset- such as format
>_all_
>for real formats?
>
>The reason I need to do this is that I'm running an imputation using
>IVEWARE
>(SAS callable procedure)- and for some reason- this program doesn't like
>the
>.L and .M's
>
>ps: Any users of IVEWARE on this list- willing to humor a few questions?

[1]  If you have a "national survey", I hope you're going to use survey
sample
methods for analysis.  Since you're working with IVEware, I assume you have.

[2]  You can use PROC MI in SAS 9 for multiple imputation as well, and then
you can get more help from this list.  PROC MI *does* know how to handle
what we call "special missing values".

[3]  The purpose of special missing values is to provide additional
meta-data to
the user.  It's not only a missing value, it's also a floorwax!  Sorry, I
couldn't resist
the old SNL joke.  It is not only a missing value, it is also a descriptor
for the cause
of the missing-ness, or the consequences of the missing-ness.  So look up
the
meaning of these special missing values, because they may need to be treated
differently than other missings.  That may impact the imputation, as well as
the
later analyses.

[4]  You can always ask IVEware quesitons here.  You may not find anyone
with a
good answer, but you can ask...

HTH,
David