Re: Running sas code on mainframe through SAS-UNIX #4

Something like this should be possible as I have done it in the past. Note
the "site filetype=jes" which submits your JCL/SAS Program to the MVS
internal reader.

ftp -nv hostname << EOT
user userid/password
ascii
lcd jcldirectory
site filetype=jes
put sasjobwithjcl
quit
EOT

You should get back something like "250 Transfer completed successfully"
and "known to JES as <jobnumber>"

MM

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 13:15:48 +0200, Robert Bardos <bardos2@ANSYS.CH> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I ought to be busily doing other things so I'll just sketch out a
>possible solution.
>Others may chime in and provide you with detailed steps (or better
>yet: find someone at your installation knowledgeable in both ftp
>and JES2/JES3).
>
>You can submit jobs ("JCL") to MVS thru ftp. There is even the
>possibility to get output back via ftp.
>
>Since I never did it, I can't give you a better description right
>now.
>
>As I said: maybe someone who already did this has more to offer.
>

>Hope this serves as a starting point.
>
>Robert Bardos
>Ansys AG, Z�rich, Switzerland
>

>-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----

Re: Running sas code on mainframe through SAS-UNIX #5
site filetype=jes does some interesting things, especially if you assign output to an appropriately-configured hold queue. Most of the hold queues (1-9) are (it has been a while ...) "hold for writer" (ie printer). once in via filetype=jes, you may perform a dir to see the list of held output. as I recall, the various held outputs from the pgm are stored as JOB1234.1, JOB1234.2 and so on. they may be retrieved individually via GET or in a block get job1234.x it has been a while since I did this and only got it to work because some hold queues are used by our systems for special purposes. using one of those allowed me to get the held output. I spoke with our (then) JES guy about the queues. as I say, it has been a while, so a lot of this may have changed. additionally, USS or OMVS may provide other methods of access not available in traditional MVS. ---- Original message ---- >Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:37:51 -0400 >From: Martin Mathis <martin.u.mathis@BANKOFAMERICA.COM> >Subject: Re: Running sas code on mainframe through SAS-UNIX >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > >Something like this should be possible as I have done it in the past. Note >the "site filetype=jes" which submits your JCL/SAS Program to the MVS >internal reader. > >ftp -nv hostname << EOT >user userid/password >ascii >lcd jcldirectory >site filetype=jes >put sasjobwithjcl >quit >EOT > >You should get back something l...

Re: Running sas code on mainframe through SAS-UNIX #6

Re: Running sas code on mainframe through SAS-UNIX #3 672823

Re: Running sas code on mainframe through SAS-UNIX #3 1556255
I think the easiest solution would be to use the mainframe job scheduler to submit your job in a hold state, looking for a trigger dataset (once the trigger dataset appears, the job is released from hold). You would ftp that dataset up to the mainframe as needed (and since the system is simply looking for the presence of a file, it can be a single line). If you need to pass parameters, you could include them in the trigger file, and have the first step of your mainframe job read the file for the parameters. And, while some of us mainframers learned on a system that used all capital letters, you don't need to capitalize MAINFRAME anymore. :-) HTH, CH On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:16:33 -0700, saket.kapoor@GMAIL.COM wrote: >Hi Friends, > >I have on JCL followed by sas code on MAINFRAME.I need to run this code >from SAS -unix session. > >Please help me out... ...

Re: How to get the location of SAS code in the same SAS code thru #4
I use a macro from Frank DiIorio, CodeCrafters, Inc. that rely on SAS Dictionary Tables: %macro source_code/store; %global source_code; proc sql noprint; select XPath into :Source_Code separated by ' ' from dictionary.extfiles where fileref like "#LN00006" ; quit; %mend; The store is optional since I like to store compiled macros in a single location and call in with a mstored and sasmstore= options. I just add the following to my code to get a footnote indicating the full path and name of code submitted: %source_code; footnote1 "SOURCE CODE: &source_code"; >On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:43:50 -0700, Alok <alok.rustagi@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > >>Hi all, >> >>I am facing a problem in which I need to get the location/path of a >>SAS code in a macro variable. I need to use the macro variable in the >>same SAS code. Is there any SAS option available which can do this for >>me? Or is there a code snippet which can achieve the same purpose? >> >>Can you please help me out as soon as possible since I need to deliver >>this tomorrow. Any help will be greatly appreciated. >> >> >>Thanks, >>Alok ...

Re: Unused Mainframe Features (was: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS) #4
Im Auftrag von Joe Whitehurst Gesendet: Sonntag, 17. September 2006 15:56 Betreff: Re: Unused Mainframe Features (was: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS) Robert, Do you really mean to say this? " So no, you are not limited to neither 24 rows nor to 80 columns". --------------------------------- Thanks Joe, Well, as you guessed, I meant to say something along the opposite. (Got to be careful with all this "no .. not .. neither .. nor"). Got lost in translation somehow. Makes me long for the "highlight nonsensical constructs" feature of modern mail clients. Especially when used for participation in public discussion fora ... 8^) Many thanks and kind regards Robert ...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code #4
I actually never want to store the macro code. I only want it available in a temp file which I then consume. For example: %macro xyz; data temp.temp4; ...do some sas stuff... run; %mend; I want to save the contents, formatted, into a text file (i.e. c:\temp\program.sas) which I can then consume in another application. I also want to execute the code. Hence: %xyz; Save the contents of the macro file to a text file with CRLF included. I don't want the run, merely the statements. Thoughts? Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI) Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:15 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code you want to save the macro code in its own file access then depends on modifying one of the three uses of the word: SASautos Tutorials A SASautos Companion: Reusing Macros http://tinyurl.com/45nzzk for: http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi30/267-30.pdf Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov > -----Original Message----- > From: Alan Churchill > Ok, I think this might be doable but I am drawing a blank. > Suppose I have this code: > %macro xyz; > data temp.temp4; > .do some sas stuff. > run; > %mend; > > Is there a way to write the macro statements out to a file? I > can run them > but I would also like to ...

Re: Unix help: How to hold a SAS run subsequent to run of another application inside SAS #2
Duck-Hye Yang <dyang@CHAPINHALL.ORG> wrote: > I am Unix user. > I tried to run an application inside SAS. > I need to use the output from the application in a subsequent SAS run. > I need to hold the subsequent SAS run until runing the application is done. > The problem is that when I tried to run together, the subsequent SAS program always picked up incomplete output. > It seems like two applications are running simulatenously. First off, do you really need to run an external process, or would it be easier to do that part of the work in SAS as well? (Just a thought, ...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #4
Ed , I still contend and stick with they should both be able to program and know how SAS works. I prefer the intervewing company give a test, were the person being interviewed is sat in front a laptop or desktop and told to write code to solve some problems. No online help no books just the persona nd the computer. This weeds out those who can code and those who cant, from those who can you then talk to them about the code they wrote and you can deduce those who understand how SAS works and thos who dont. The pool you are left with are the qualified candidates atleast from a SAS perspective and you can make your choice from there. Toby Dunn Comprimise is like telling a lie, it gets easier and easier. Each comprimise you make, that becomes your standard. Perfection doesnt exist, once you reach it, its not perfect anymore. It means something else. From: Ed Heaton <EdHeaton@WESTAT.COM> Reply-To: Ed Heaton <EdHeaton@WESTAT.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:52:16 -0400 Okay, I think I need to weigh-in on this. First, the exam is designed to test what you know about how SAS works. I think it does a fair job at that. (I say so partly because I only scored 89 on the exam. Now, I didn't prepare for the exam; I was really testing the exam when I took it as opposed to using the exam to test my skills.) The exam doesn't know how well you can program...

Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) #4
No, sorry if I made it sound that way..... SAS and R are totally different in the way they work, how they are structured, what the statements look like, and so on. Not like French and Spanish, not even like English and Spanish. More like English and Swahilli. R has a lot in common with S Plus, both are based on the S language. But there is no hostility that I know of between S Plus and R (unlike the situation with Linux) Peter >>> <ben.powell@CLA.CO.UK> 2/5/2004 10:36:32 AM >>> wrote Sounds like R is the SAS equivalent of Linux .. who are incidentally in all sort...

Re: Reusing code from SAS Program in another SAS Program #4
In response to a question by Keith, Paul Choate suggested using %INC. The suggestion is reasonable, but not his explanation. Since %INC is a macro you can put it anywhere in open code and it will read the code snippet during compilation. %INC is neither a macro nor a macro instruction. It is one of a few old SAS commands that begin with a %-sign and predate the current macro language. This can be shown by a batch job run with the option NOMACRO. Here is the log. NOTE: SAS (r) Proprietary Software Release 8.2 (TS2M0) Licensed to The SAS Learning Edition V2.0, Site ...

Re: Windows XP SAS v9 faster than UNIX SAS v9? #4
A couple suggestions based on my limited expertise in this area: 1. Search the SAS Notes: (http://support.sas.com/techsup/search/sasnotes.html) -- maybe "must contain" "phrase" "DATA step" and "should contain" "words" "poor slow performance". There are a couple involving DATA steps with missing values: I'm not sure whether or not they are relevant to your situation. 2. Contact SAS Tech Support, if you haven't already. Mike Rhoads Westat RhoadsM1@Westat.com -----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [m...

Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS)
Alan, Your renaming of the thread is appropriate, given the path the discussion in it has taken. The irony of it is in the implied statement (expressed as a question). To that end, let me state straight that in my opinion, any talk of the mainframe demise is utter nonsense. Reason: RAS. Manframe RAS figures, which non-mainframe servers has never even started to approach, will not be shaken by any PC teraflops. Mainframes are not gaming machine, and their computing power far exceeds anything any mainframe-specific application can throw at them. We have been through the mainframe death before,...

Re: Exit SAS gracefully / Condtional execution of code without SAS macro #4
True, using the abort statement doesn't always end the session, but it also doesn't always stop execution of subsequent code, which is the goal. The original problem was "Ideally, I'd like SAS to stop processing subsequent statements but I can't find any code that will stop SAS elegantly without it closing down the whole "SAS System" (such as ABORT)." As far as I know, that's correct - there's no SAS statement which means "ignore the rest of the input but don't shut down". %IF in open code really would be a nice solution (though not...

Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS) #31
Ron, Let me step back somewhat and agree on principle but change it up a bit. As we move toward the grid, early models, IMO, will emerge where users are charged for services upfront. Amazon S3 is such a model where you can buy all the computing power needed. However, as computing power rises at an alarming rate the costs will plummet similar to what we have seen in telco costs. Computing will go toward 0. At that point, other models will need to be figured out. Intel announcing a teraflop PC chip, hard disks plummeting in price, memory doing likewise all leads to massive computing power. W...

Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS) #6
Richard, You got me...on both counts. Alan Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Richard A. DeVenezia Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 6:03 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS) Alan Churchill wrote: > Paul, > > Just some more food for thought: .... > Massive schools of minnows it seems vs the whale. Who is to say you can't have a school of whales? In the analogy...

Re: Unused Mainframe Features (was: PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS)
Robert, Do you really mean to say this? " So no, you are not limited to neither 24 rows nor to 80 columns". To paraphrase G. Santayana, the SAS Macro Facility used by common SAS programmers is an old mate that gives no pleasure and many headaches, yet she/he cannot live without it, and resents any aspersions that strangers may cast on its character ...

Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS) #17
Summary: ? #iw-value=0 Paul, You suggested a fundamental law. In order to achieve a certain output, one large unit is always more efficient than a number of lesser units working in parallel. So we should be able to deduce some facts form this law. 1) Google will be out of business shortly after some bright person decides to do the same thing with a powerful mainframe. 2) It makes no sense to fight wars with small weapons, since big weapons are more efficient. 3) Ants and all other social animals are an evolutionary impossible sort of animal, since inefficiency ...

Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS) #34
Personally, I never attribute market dominance to consumer ignorance. There are loads of choices in the marketplace yet Wal-Mart wins. Likewise, places like Williams-Sonoma also do well. They serve different markets and the consumer can pick. There are Hondas, Fords, and Lexus, as well as Rolls-Royce: consumer choice is king. MS bundles but you can get databases, networking, etc. for free using open source. So a person can choose a purely free alternative (and many corps do) or choose MS products where you know they are integrated and work well together. MS wins because it is superior techno...

Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS) #7
Ben, This is the long view. I don't expect a wholesale slaughter of MFs in the next 10 years. I just think they have reached their peak and will start to decline in importance. What happens when you have no one to support these machines? Is there a computational task that they perform that cannot be performed elsewhere? ATMs run on them today but that doesn't mean another architecture can't do that same task faster, better elsewhere. If you're the VP of an IT shop and to get a good MVS guy will costs you $200K/yr because they're in short supply, it's going to be time...

Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code
I want the statements only, not the processing. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: ./ ADD NAME=Data _null_, [mailto:iebupdte@gmail.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:20 AM To: Alan Churchill Cc: SAS-L@listserv.uga.edu Subject: Re: Include SAS code w/o including SAS code You need to provide more details. It is unclear to me if you want the statements generated by the macro MPRINT/MFILE written to the file or the MACRO definition FILE/PUT. Syntax MFILE | NOMFILE MFILE routes output produced by the MPRINT option to an external file. This is useful for debugging. On 8/12/08, Alan Churchill <savian001@gmail.com> wrote: > All, > > > > Ok, I think this might be doable but I am drawing a blank. > > > > Suppose I have this code: > > > > %macro xyz; > > data temp.temp4; > > .do some sas stuff. > > run; > > %mend; > > > > Is there a way to write the macro statements out to a file? I can run them > but I would also like to save them outside of SAS. > > > > Thanks, > > Alan > > > > Alan Churchill > Savian > <http://www.savian.net/> www.savian.net > ...

Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS) #24
Looks like the point is being made. I was cleaning out all of my books today. I figure I will toss the REXX, JCL, and MVS Perf Mgmt books (I may keep the latter though). Perhaps I should donate them to a library and scare the young programmers out there with JCL. Alan Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of ben.powell@CLA.CO.UK Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 5:01 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. ...

Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS) #9
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:00:18 -0600, Alan Churchill <SASL001@SAVIAN.NET> wrote: >Richard, > >You got me...on both counts. > >Alan > >Alan Churchill >Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" >www.savian.net > > > >-----Original Message----- >From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Richard >A. DeVenezia >Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 6:03 AM >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS) > >Alan Churchill wrote: >> Paul, >...

Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainframe SAS) #26
But Ron, not all companies do IT chargeback. A company can allocate costs in various ways and doesn't necessarily have to charge per use for computing. I think chargeback may be one of the big reasons for the rise of departmental computing. Alan Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI) Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 1:29 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Death of the Mainframe? (was PC SAS vs. Mainf...

Web resources about - Re: Running sas code on mainframe through SAS-UNIX #4 - comp.soft-sys.sas

Mainframe computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
) are powerful computers used primarily by corporate and governmental organizations for critical applications, bulk data processing such as census ...

HACKING THE MAINFRAME - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Just kidding. Marcus Hecht, Ecotrust Network Administrator, reroutes telephone lines for our new FoodHub coordinators, Megan and Leora.

The Raised Floor - IBM Mainframe Computer Ops in the 1980s - YouTube
A photo album documenting the roles of, and equipment run by printer operators, console operators, tape librarians and IMS MTOs working with ...

IBM: The PC is the new mainframe - Apple, Configuration / maintenance, Data Center, hardware systems ...
"The PC is dead!" We've heard that message a lot since the birth of Apple's iPad, but when one of the creators of IBM's first PC added his voice ...

Who says the mainframe is dead?
Who says the mainframe is dead?

The IBM mainframe: Golden oldie or modern marvel?
While dissenters continue to challenge the validity of the mainframe, the technology keeps on proving its worth.

The mainframe turns 50 and still wants to run the world
It is usual for 50th birthday parties to be big events and the golden anniversary of the IBM mainframe in New York overnight was no different. ...

Coogans Rejects Cloud for Mainframe - Cloud Computing - Retail Technology
Coogans sticks to the IT it knows, writes Trevor Clarke.

IBM: Insane in the Mainframe …
The mainframe business may be slowly dying off, but it’s nowhere near dead yet. Even as the enterprise market’s affinity for less-expensive ...

How to mine Bitcoin on a 55-year-old IBM 1401 mainframe
Could an IBM mainframe from the 1960s mine Bitcoin? The idea seemed crazy, so I decided to find out. I implemented the Bitcoin hash algorithm ...