Re: SAS Access to PC File Formats, Access to Oracle (or ODBC) and SAS-ODBC

You can also push SAS data to other formats, such as Excel, using DDE,
which works with Base SAS.

-----Original Message-----
From: PD [mailto:SOPHE88@YAHOO.COM]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 5:54 PM
To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: SAS Access to PC File Formats, Access to Oracle (or ODBC) and
SAS-ODBC

I saw a price quote today for one PC SAS license on Windows. Among
others, it says

SAS/ACCESS to PC File Formats                 $1600

SAS/ACCESS to Oracle (or ODBC)               $1600

I am confused about several things. I hope I can get some help from this
group.

1. I have been under the impression that SAS-ODBC is included with Base
for free. Is this still the case with verion 9.1? Is it true that SAS
ODBC is NOT SAS/Access ODBC?

2. Is there still a separate SAS module called SAS Access available to
be licensed? If so, what is the difference between Access and SAS/Access
to Oracle (or ODBC)? I used to be able to write out reports directly to
Excel data format by revoking prox export, plus some DBMS option
(because I had SAS/Access). Do I need Access to ODBC ( or  to Excel ) to
do that or Access to PC File Format?

3. What exactly does Access to PC File Formats do?

4. I thought Access to Oracle ( or to any other DBMS engine) is more
expensive that Access to ODBC. Now they have the same price. Is this a
new trend SI has started?

Thank you for your input.

JX