Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year.

I took the advanced exam this April because I wanted a relatively
systematic way of assessing my knowledge of SAS in a short time span.
For that purpose, it was worth it.

Since I learn SAS by doing new tasks, or re-doing old tasks in a new
way, I assume my knowledge of SAS is uneven, even though I am regarded
as productive, and frequently creative in using SAS to solve our group's
problems.

I passed the test, with lower subscores on the components that I
expected to be weakest on.  I thought many of the questions made me
think about some fundamental, sometimes subtle, features of the
language.  I did some guessing, but that was on my weaker topics.  So
the exam results, in my view, reflected something real.

I agree, a prospective employer should not put much stock in SAS
certification exams.  Many highly effective people are not good test
takers.  Besides, this exam is a crude instrument.  My score was
identical to a colleague who still regularly asks me for guidance in
finding solutions in SAS to specific problems.  I probably know more SAS
than he does (and he is a good SAS programmer), but you wouldn't know
from the exam results.

As to version 9-specific questions, I don't recall whether there was
much material that was version 9 only.  But I expected the test to be
more oriented to "advanced" concepts than to new features of version 9.

By the way, even though I passed, I can't get a SAS advanced certificate
-- because I haven't taken the basic test.  Go figure.

Mark