From: toby dunn [mailto:tobydunn@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 7:04 PM
To: savian001@GMAIL.COM; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year.

ALan ,

Lets keep this to straight SAS, I dont tell people what they should use in
SAS to produce the report, but rather I say here is what the report should
look like, here i sthe data set, here ar the specs, now go make it happen.
If your hirng a junior level programmer they should know the data step and
say proc sort, proc print, proc format.  If your going after a Senior level
programmer the test should be harder and reflect more things like ODs,
macro, etc...

In your case you dont promote straight SAS solutions and that is great, but
a whole other market than a straight SAS programmer.

Toby Dunn

Comprimise is like telling a lie, it gets easier and easier.  Each
comprimise you make, that becomes your standard.

Perfection doesnt exist, once you reach it, its not perfect anymore.  It
means something else.

From: Alan Churchill <savian001@GMAIL.COM>
To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:54:31 -0600

Well Toby, let me ask something then. Since I am not an ODS fan and haven't
used proc report/tabulate for some time, would that be an automatic
disqualifier since you don't allow reference books or materials? SAS does
not provide tools that help me code ODS (except for EG) and therefore a
reference material is all I would need. Now, it's not like I haven't used
proc report (used it extensively at one time), it's just that I prefer other
means to produce the final output.

It seems that a test like this would toss me out of the pool from the
get-go. Heck, maybe that's what the goal would be ;-]

Alan

Alan Churchill
Savian
www.savian.net

From: Bob_Abelson@HGSI.COM
To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:22:59 -0400

I interviewed at a company that gave a test where I had a half hour to
produce a very simple report using PROC REPORT. I was provided all the
manuals I wanted, but because I had used PROC REPORT before, I wanted none
of them. I finished in five minutes, and most people on SAS-L would be
able to beat that time.

Bob Abelson
HGSI
240 314 4400 x1374
bob_abelson@hgsi.com

"toby dunn" <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM>
Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
09/04/2007 05:15 PM
Please respond to
"toby dunn" <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM>

SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year.

Ed ,

I still contend and stick with they should both be able to program and
know
how SAS works.  I prefer the intervewing company give a test, were the
person being interviewed is sat in front a laptop or desktop and told to
write code to solve some problems.  No online help no books just the
persona
nd the computer.  This weeds out those who can code and those who cant,
from
those who can you then talk to them about the code they wrote and you can
deduce those who understand how SAS works and thos who dont.  The pool you
are left with are the qualified candidates atleast from a SAS perspective
and you can make your choice from there.

From: Ed Heaton <EdHeaton@WESTAT.COM>
To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the
year.
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:52:16 -0400

Okay, I think I need to weigh-in on this.

First, the exam is designed to test what you know about how SAS works.
I think it does a fair job at that.  (I say so partly because I only
scored 89 on the exam.  Now, I didn't prepare for the exam; I was really
testing the exam when I took it as opposed to using the exam to test my
skills.)

The exam doesn't know how well you can program.  There is a big
difference between having a large vocabulary and knowing the rules of
grammar and knowing how to write.  Similarly, there's a big difference
between knowing how SAS works and knowing how to program.  The exam does
not test how well you can program.

That said, when I look for someone to hire that I don't know, I need
everything I can get to evaluate the candidate.  Sure, it would be nice
if they brought a portfolio of their code so I could see what they can
write.  That seldom happens, and when it does the code is often not
really written by the applicant.

So, I look for other things.  An applicant often tells what they worked
on, but that too can be exaggerated.

What am I left with?  Well, someone can program who doesn't know SAS,
but probably they won't be a very good SAS programmer.  I'd rather have
the exam to judge than to not have the exam.

If I were to apply for a job where the employer didn't know me, I would
also want the certification to help them make the decision.

Oh, as for the version 9 questions, I remember finding several.  Just
don't remember what they were.  I'm sure the exams are not all the same.
Rather suspect they have a pool of questions and randomly select them
real-time.

Ed

Edward Heaton, Senior Systems Analyst,
Westat (An Employee-Owned Research Corporation),
1650 Research Boulevard, RW-4541, Rockville, MD 20850-3195
Voice: (301) 610-4818                  Fax: (301) 294-3879
mailto:EdHeaton@Westat.com             http://www.Westat.com

#5.
This is the only reason the test was created in the first place.

The world would be a better place if all employers understood that as
well.
However, some recruiters/HRers require the certificate as a CYA backup
should they accidentally hire a pure test-passer.

Fortunately, I have not seen many occurrences of this nature since the
inception of the boondoggle, perhaps because most candidates are almost
inevitably interviewed by people qualified in SAS better than HR. And
most
qualified people saw the program for what it is even before its advent.
SAS-L is replete with numerous posts to prove it.

Needless to say, it does not imply in any way that any
certificate-holder
has no more SAS behind the belt than the certificate can cover. Far from
that! Many fantastic real-world people have been forced into the thing
by
their SAS partnership business needs, many have taken it just for the
heck
of it because their employer would pay for it, etc.

My opposition to the thing as a matter of principle is based on the
conviction that this form of exam cannot even approach the evaluation of
one's ability to do SAS-related work with any degree of accuracy, even
if
the questions were formulated ideally and in sufficient quantity. It
would
be especially apparent to anyone having had the misfortune to waste gobs
of
time creating a similar computer-adaptive test from scratch.

Kind regards
------------
Paul Dorfman
Jax, FL
------------

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:00:08 -0700, jontugman@YAHOO.CO.UK wrote:

> [...]
   >test the ability of version 9. It doesn't even test the ability of
   >using SAS. It tests one's ability of guessing the right answer,
   >because on a lot of the questions that's all you can do.
   >
   >We cannot take material out of the test centre, so I am relating these
   >issues from memory, but 42 is the answer to the Universe, and this one
   >did stick in my memory.
   >
   >Question 42: Correct answer: None of the above. They have swapped the
   >value of one of the observations around and there is no option in the
   >A-D to do that.
   >
   >At least two other questions return a different sort order to the
   >input, with no sort order in the options.
   >
   >After coming across question 42, I almost walked out. But I had been
   >preparing for this exam for weeks, and I was determined to see it
   >through to the end. Plus I don't like throwing money away.
   >
   >You might call me bitter: Failed the exam by 2%, that is just one
   >guess wrong. I normally have problems with multi-guess exams, the only
   >exception being IQ tests which I normally score quite high on. But as
   >with the IQ tests, this SAS advanced certification is totally
   >meaningless. I came across a thread written some years ago, which the
   >writers expressed the opinion that it doesn't count for anything at
   >all. I had already paid for the exam by then, but if I had read that I
   >wouldn't have paid for it, because quite rightly it doesn't have any
   >bearing on anything.
   >
   >Plus, if I were a potential employer, and wanted to evaluate the
   >validity of using the exam to test potential candidates, I wouldn't
   >want to future of my business riding such a pile of doodoo.
   >
   >I've two shots at this one. I am not doing again. I have the base, and
   >that is good enough for me.
   >
   >Who ever added the version 9 bits to exam, has obviously not used
   >version 9 in anger, as the really nice stuff which you can't do in
   >version 8 wasn't there at all. I have been using version 9 for a year
   >now, and will not willingly go back to version 8. VVALUE, CATX,
   >COMPGED just a few examples. Give those to a version 8 programmer and
   >he would be floundering.
   >
   >No, my recommendation is to simply ignore this one. Don't do it, it
   >just raises the blood pressure unnecessarily.
   >
   >Oh, and don't for goodness sake, do any SAS exam in France. A friend
   >of mine did the base recently, and when no certificate was evidenced
   >in the post, or his name in big shining lights was shown on the
   >website, after his triumphant success at passing it, he phoned SAS,
   >only to be told that they have no record of him passing it, and, to
   >quote (but translated from the French) "Did you pass it?"
   >
   >So its probably just easier now to phone SAS, say you've passed their
   >exam, and when they say they haven't the paper work, just stamp your
   >for on the floor in defiance of their ineptitude, and they will
   >relent, because they have screwed up in the past, they can do it again.

Can you find the hidden words?  Take a break and play Seekadoo!
http://club.live.com/seekadoo.aspx?icid=seek_hotmailtextlink1

Gear up for Halo� 3 with free downloads and an exclusive offer.
http://gethalo3gear.com?ocid=SeptemberWLHalo3_MSNHMTxt_1

Kick back and relax with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger
Caf�. http://www.cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_SeptHMtagline1
0
savian001 (795)

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #9
ALan , Lets keep this to straight SAS, I dont tell people what they should use in SAS to produce the report, but rather I say here is what the report should look like, here i sthe data set, here ar the specs, now go make it happen. If your hirng a junior level programmer they should know the data step and say proc sort, proc print, proc format. If your going after a Senior level programmer the test should be harder and reflect more things like ODs, macro, etc... In your case you dont promote straight SAS solutions and that is great, but a whole other market than a straight SAS programmer. Toby Dunn Comprimise is like telling a lie, it gets easier and easier. Each comprimise you make, that becomes your standard. Perfection doesnt exist, once you reach it, its not perfect anymore. It means something else. From: Alan Churchill <savian001@GMAIL.COM> Reply-To: Alan Churchill <savian001@GMAIL.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:54:31 -0600 Well Toby, let me ask something then. Since I am not an ODS fan and haven't used proc report/tabulate for some time, would that be an automatic disqualifier since you don't allow reference books or materials? SAS does not provide tools that help me code ODS (except for EG) and therefore a reference material is all I would need. Now, it's not like I haven't used proc report (used it extensively at one time), ...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year.
I took the advanced exam this April because I wanted a relatively systematic way of assessing my knowledge of SAS in a short time span. For that purpose, it was worth it. Since I learn SAS by doing new tasks, or re-doing old tasks in a new way, I assume my knowledge of SAS is uneven, even though I am regarded as productive, and frequently creative in using SAS to solve our group's problems. I passed the test, with lower subscores on the components that I expected to be weakest on. I thought many of the questions made me think about some fundamental, sometimes subtle, features of the language. I did some guessing, but that was on my weaker topics. So the exam results, in my view, reflected something real. I agree, a prospective employer should not put much stock in SAS certification exams. Many highly effective people are not good test takers. Besides, this exam is a crude instrument. My score was identical to a colleague who still regularly asks me for guidance in finding solutions in SAS to specific problems. I probably know more SAS than he does (and he is a good SAS programmer), but you wouldn't know from the exam results. As to version 9-specific questions, I don't recall whether there was much material that was version 9 only. But I expected the test to be more oriented to "advanced" concepts than to new features of version 9. By the way, even though I passed, I can't get a SAS advanced certificate -- because I haven't taken the...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #5
Good deal Bob, atleast that company was headed in the right direction IMO... I have given such tests and taken them. I ussually give them a data set, the specs I want them to follow, and a example of what I want the output to look like. Then I tend to give them like 4 or 5 hours if they need it to complete the project. In reallity they should be done in an hour or so. The test should be challenging but not too challenging, and the solution should involve a few data steps, procedures, and some type of reporting..... Toby Dunn Comprimise is like telling a lie, it gets easier and easier. Each comprimise you make, that becomes your standard. Perfection doesnt exist, once you reach it, its not perfect anymore. It means something else. From: Bob_Abelson@HGSI.COM Reply-To: Bob_Abelson@HGSI.COM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:22:59 -0400 I interviewed at a company that gave a test where I had a half hour to produce a very simple report using PROC REPORT. I was provided all the manuals I wanted, but because I had used PROC REPORT before, I wanted none of them. I finished in five minutes, and most people on SAS-L would be able to beat that time. Bob Abelson HGSI 240 314 4400 x1374 bob_abelson@hgsi.com "toby dunn" <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM> Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 09/04/2007 05:15 PM Please respond to "toby d...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #7
Well Toby, let me ask something then. Since I am not an ODS fan and haven't used proc report/tabulate for some time, would that be an automatic disqualifier since you don't allow reference books or materials? SAS does not provide tools that help me code ODS (except for EG) and therefore a reference material is all I would need. Now, it's not like I haven't used proc report (used it extensively at one time), it's just that I prefer other means to produce the final output. It seems that a test like this would toss me out of the pool from the get-go. Heck, maybe that's what the goal would be ;-] Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of toby dunn Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 3:34 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. Good deal Bob, atleast that company was headed in the right direction IMO... I have given such tests and taken them. I ussually give them a data set, the specs I want them to follow, and a example of what I want the output to look like. Then I tend to give them like 4 or 5 hours if they need it to complete the project. In reallity they should be done in an hour or so. The test should be challenging but not too challenging, and the solution should involve a few data steps, procedures, and some type of reporting..... Toby Dunn Comprimise is like telling a lie, it...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #4
Ed , I still contend and stick with they should both be able to program and know how SAS works. I prefer the intervewing company give a test, were the person being interviewed is sat in front a laptop or desktop and told to write code to solve some problems. No online help no books just the persona nd the computer. This weeds out those who can code and those who cant, from those who can you then talk to them about the code they wrote and you can deduce those who understand how SAS works and thos who dont. The pool you are left with are the qualified candidates atleast from a SAS perspective and you can make your choice from there. Toby Dunn Comprimise is like telling a lie, it gets easier and easier. Each comprimise you make, that becomes your standard. Perfection doesnt exist, once you reach it, its not perfect anymore. It means something else. From: Ed Heaton <EdHeaton@WESTAT.COM> Reply-To: Ed Heaton <EdHeaton@WESTAT.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:52:16 -0400 Okay, I think I need to weigh-in on this. First, the exam is designed to test what you know about how SAS works. I think it does a fair job at that. (I say so partly because I only scored 89 on the exam. Now, I didn't prepare for the exam; I was really testing the exam when I took it as opposed to using the exam to test my skills.) The exam doesn't know how well you can program...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #8
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Alan Churchill wrote: > It seems that a test like this would toss me out of the pool from the > get-go. Heck, maybe that's what the goal would be ;-] Well then, maybe the rest of us might have a chance then :) Given that I have not used SAS regularly in months, I would be hurting. Hopefully, I would not be tossed immediately either. Isn't one point of the test to allow a organization to call itself a partner or some other distinction? Maybe to be listed among companies on SI's websites? Kevin Kevin Viel, PhD Post-doctoral fellow Department of Genetics Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research San Antonio, TX 78227 ...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #6
I interviewed at a company that gave a test where I had a half hour to produce a very simple report using PROC REPORT. I was provided all the manuals I wanted, but because I had used PROC REPORT before, I wanted none of them. I finished in five minutes, and most people on SAS-L would be able to beat that time. Bob Abelson HGSI 240 314 4400 x1374 bob_abelson@hgsi.com "toby dunn" <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM> Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 09/04/2007 05:15 PM Please respond to "toby dunn" <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM> To SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU cc Subject Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. Ed , I still contend and stick with they should both be able to program and know how SAS works. I prefer the intervewing company give a test, were the person being interviewed is sat in front a laptop or desktop and told to write code to solve some problems. No online help no books just the persona nd the computer. This weeds out those who can code and those who cant, from those who can you then talk to them about the code they wrote and you can deduce those who understand how SAS works and thos who dont. The pool you are left with are the qualified candidates atleast from a SAS perspective and you can make your choice from there. Toby Dunn Comprimise is like telling a lie, it gets easier and easier. Each comprimise you make, that becomes your standard. Perfection doesnt exist, once...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #2
jontugman, Test preparation is akin to following a simple algorithm: 1. Evaluate the test and discover if it is worth taking. 2. If #1 evaluates false then go to exit. 3. Determine if your *test* knowledge of SAS is insufficient. 4. If #3 evaluates true, do the test preparation. 5. Pay the money. 6. Take the test. 7 Exit. From your standpoint, the step of paramount importance is step #1. That is where you mainly failed. From SAS' standpoint, only one step matters: #5. This is the only reason the test was created in the first place. The world would be a better place if all employers understood that as well. However, some recruiters/HRers require the certificate as a CYA backup should they accidentally hire a pure test-passer. Fortunately, I have not seen many occurrences of this nature since the inception of the boondoggle, perhaps because most candidates are almost inevitably interviewed by people qualified in SAS better than HR. And most qualified people saw the program for what it is even before its advent. SAS-L is replete with numerous posts to prove it. Needless to say, it does not imply in any way that any certificate-holder has no more SAS behind the belt than the certificate can cover. Far from that! Many fantastic real-world people have been forced into the thing by their SAS partnership business needs, many have taken it just for the heck of it because their employer would pay for it, etc. My opposition to the thing as a matter of principle is based on t...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #3
[...]

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #11
Kevin, Thank you for the nice words...I am sure I wouldn't have a chance on any stat exam, BTW. What I am good at is being in an absolute crisis and trying to get it solved with no time on the clock. That is why I think in a quirky manner. When the obvious isn't working, take a different path because there is simply no time left. It's what I did at MCI, SAS, and now as an independent. ....and that skill will not be measured on a certification exam or plopping me in front of a PC to hammer out an example SAS program. For any candidate, I can pick up their technical level with a few questions and watching their reactions. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Kevin Roland Viel Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 4:02 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Alan Churchill wrote: > It seems that a test like this would toss me out of the pool from the > get-go. Heck, maybe that's what the goal would be ;-] Well then, maybe the rest of us might have a chance then :) Given that I have not used SAS regularly in months, I would be hurting. Hopefully, I would not be tossed immediately either. Isn't one point of the test to allow a organization to call itself a partner or some other distinction? Maybe to be listed among companies on SI's websites? Kevin Kevin ...

[...]

Re: SAS System Viewer 9.1 unable to open SAS datasets ( SAS 9.1.3)
A question in return: is your table from windows? compressed from another system? and specially with personnel formats hard coded inside? Andre msiddu2000 a �crit : > SAS System Viewer 9.1 was able to open datasets that were created by > V8 engine (SAS 8.2), but is unable to open datasets that are created > with V9 engine (SAS 9.1.3). > > Does this need SAS System Viewer to be upgraded ? > or > Something else needs to be done ? > > -- Andr� WIELKI INED (Institut National d'Etudes D�mographiques) Service Informatique 133 Boulevard Davout 75980 Paris Cedex 20 m�l : wielki@ined.fr t�l : 33 (0) 1 56 06 21 54 ...

Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #10
http://www.sas.com/presscenter/bgndr_history.html 1985 ... Technology milestones... First SAS System release for PC DOS (Base SAS and SAS/RTERM software) is immediate success. Micro-to-mainframe link (SAS/C Compiler) is introduced for PCs linking to mainframes. Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Nat Wooding Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 7:01 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 Robin I must beg to differ- A pc DOS version of SAS was announced...

Re: SAS programming and SAS/BI

Re: SAS 9 and SAS 8
I suggest that you look at the SAS web site http://support.sas.com/documentation/whatsnew/index.html Nat Wooding Environmental Specialist III Dominion, Environmental Biology 4111 Castlewood Rd Richmond, VA 23234 Phone:804-271-5313, Fax: 804-271-2977 pausha <pausha1@GMAIL.CO M> To Sent by: "SAS(r) SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Discussion" cc <SAS-L@LISTSERV.U GA.EDU> Subject SAS 9 and SAS 8 11/20/2008 03:28 PM Please respond to pausha <pausha1@GMAIL.CO M> Could someone send me the papers or articles that gives the differences between sas 8 and sas 9 and new function and changes in sas 9. Thanks CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message contains information which may be legally confidential and/or privileged and does not in any case represent a firm ENERGY COMMODITY bid or offer relating thereto which binds the sender without an additional express written confirmation to that effect. The information is intended solely for the individual or entity named above and access by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copyi...

Re: Running SAS programs from within a SAS program
Keith, You can use a series of %include statements naming the programs in the order you want to call them in. %include "drive:\your_folder\program name.txt" ; Mah-J M. Soobader, PhD Principal consultant STATWORKS www.statworks.com -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Keith W. Larson Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 10:32 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Running SAS programs from within a SAS program Dear All, I have several small(ish) SAS programs that convert and format DBF files. Thanks to all who helped solve...

Re: Running a SAS program within a SAS program
%include() On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Kathleen Santos <flowerpotcat@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I would like to combine multi years of data into one. Each year has a > particular data set and a particular program to create a SAS dataset. > However, not all programs are the same (e.g. variable names may change > throughout the years). > > What I would like to do is to create one program that would call on the > other programs to create SAS datasets. Then I'll integrate them together and > do whatever I it is I need to do. > > I hope someone can help me. > > Thanks. > > Kathleen > -- =============================== WenSui Liu ChoicePoint Precision Marketing Phone: 678-893-9457 Email : wensui.liu@choicepoint.com Blog : statcompute.spaces.live.com =============================== ...

Simulator for SAS Base Programming for SAS(r) 9 Certification Exam
Here's a sneak-peek at the upcoming SAS Certification exam simulator and reviewer: http://sas2themax.com/blogs/ Requirements for Beta testers: o must be at least SAS Base Programming certified o must have a license to the SAS Online Tutor (that came with SAS 8.2 or later) o preferably a SAS book or SUGI author/presentor (optional) Happy New Year to all! Regards, Audi http://sas2themax.com ...

Re: Converting from SAS 5 to SAS 9 #9 641267
I did a little googling tonight and came across some SAS faqs about converting V5 files to V6. It seems that Proc V5toV6 was available on most platforms but not on the pc. However, there is supposed to be a V5 engine available that will allow SAS V6 to read a V5 file. Nat ...

Re: Running a SAS program within a SAS program #2
Kathleen Based on your subject, my immediate impulse was %inlude() where you put a fileref in the quotes. However, I think you want to do something else. You say that you have individual programs that produce a set for each year. Do you store these sets somewhere or do you run the programs when you want data for a given year. I would suggest that you first get a collection of these yearly sets and run a contents on each one. Then, write a program similar to Data mylib.combined; set mylib.year1(rename = (Dates = Date ....)) mylib.year2(rename= (Sdates=Date....)) ..... ; The idea would be to get rid of the variations in the variable names. You could simply copy in the individual programs into one honking big program and keep running this until you get a uniform combined set but you will use a lot of machine cycles doing this. Assuming that you have to make several passes at the data in order to get things right, I would work from stored data sets where all you are doing is changing the rename statements. Good luck Nat Wooding Environmental Specialist III Dominion, Environmental Biology 4111 Castlewood Rd Richmond, VA 23234 Phone:804-271-5313, Fax: 804-271-2977 Kathleen Santos <flowerpotcat@GMA IL.COM> To Sent by: "SAS(r) SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Discussion" cc <SAS-...

Re: Can a SAS program call another SAS program
> From: David Fickbohm > I am writing a report that counts the number of widgets produced by > partners. I have a small routine that finds the partners id > number and > name. Obviously I could copy this code into my program and > execute it. I was wondering if there was a more elegant way > of "Calling" a SAS program > from within a SAS program. > I am running SAS 8.1 in windows. still!?!? surely that is a typo: 9.1? i.e.: -The- 9.1==9.1.3 include it: - - - subRoutineX.sas - - - *...; - - - subRoutineX.sas end - - - - - - autoexec.sas - - - filen...

Re: Running a SAS program within a SAS program #3
Kathleen, You can use %INCLUDE in a SAS program to call other SAS programs. Jack Clark Research Analyst Center for Health Program Development and Management University of Maryland, Baltimore County -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Kathleen Santos Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 12:55 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Running a SAS program within a SAS program Hello, I would like to combine multi years of data into one. Each year has a particular data set and a particular program to create a SAS dataset. However, not all programs are the same (e.g. variable names may change throughout the years). What I would like to do is to create one program that would call on the other programs to create SAS datasets. Then I'll integrate them together and do whatever I it is I need to do. I hope someone can help me. Thanks. Kathleen ...

> From: Amar Mundankar > Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:10 AM > To: sas-l@uga.edu > Subject: What r the data types in SAS? in Base SAS , and SAS SQL > > Hi all, > What are the different data types in Base SAS and SAS SQL?? character, lengths from 1 to 32,000+ numeric: lengths from 2 to 8 dates are a subtype of numeric and are identified by their date, datetime, or time formats the new proc TSPL (Table Server Processing Language) supports ANSI data types: bigint, tinyint, etc. http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/tsag/30878/HTML/default/a003 065339.htm http://s...

SAS System Viewer 9.1 unable to open SAS datasets ( SAS 9.1.3)
SAS System Viewer 9.1 was able to open datasets that were created by V8 engine (SAS 8.2), but is unable to open datasets that are created with V9 engine (SAS 9.1.3). Does this need SAS System Viewer to be upgraded ? or Something else needs to be done ? In message <0ae08496-acd1-4c40-8828-b88d059c0d0e@f40g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, msiddu2000 <msiddu2000@gmail.com> writes >SAS System Viewer 9.1 was able to open datasets that were created by >V8 engine (SAS 8.2), but is unable to open datasets that are created >with V9 engine (SAS 9.1.3). > >Does this need SAS System Viewer to be upgraded ? >or >Something else needs to be done ? SAS System Viewer 9.1 can: (1) Read SAS v8 data sets created by SAS v8 on Windows or UNIX (2) Read SAS v8 data sets created by SAS v9 on Windows (3) Read SAS v9 data sets created by SAS v9 on Windows SAS System Viewer 9.1 can not: (1) Read SAS v8 data sets created by SAS v9 on UNIX (2) Read SAS v9 data sets created by SAS v9 on UNIX Alternatives: (1) There is a beta version of the CDISC Viewer that can be downloaded from the SAS web site, but it is fragile. (2) There is also a SAS Universal Viewer bundled with SAS v9.2 for Windows. .....Phil Holland -- -------------------------------------------------------- Holland Numerics Ltd 94 Green Drift, Royston, Herts SG8 5BT, UK mobile : +44-(0)7714-279085 email : <NEWS@hollandnumerics.com> URL : http://www.hollandnumerics.com/ ...

Web resources about - Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #10 - comp.soft-sys.sas

Computer programming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Computer programming (often shortened to programming or coding ) is the process of designing , writing, testing , debugging , and maintaining ...

IBM brings Swift to the cloud, releases web framework Kitura written in Apple’s programming language
Only months after Apple officially open-sourced Swift , IBM today is announcing that they are bringing Apple’s Swift programming language to ...

Upfront Report: Scripps to Double Down on Holiday Programming, Halloween Through Christmas
Scripps Network is doubling down on its holiday programming. As part of its pitch to advertisers during the 2016 upfronts, the cable programmer ...

Stephanie Todd Upped to VP Programming at HLN
Stephanie Todd has been promoted to vp of programming at HLN. Todd, who has been with CNN Worldwide more than 20 years, will have oversight ...

JavaScript Dominates As The No. 1 Most Used Programming Language
Programming languages come and programming languages go. Unless you are JavaScript.

3 reasons why Netflix doesn’t release ratings for its original programming
Impressively, Netflix over the past few years has successfully morphed from a company known for mailing out DVDs into a streaming juggernaut ...

New! The A/V Club: #BlogHer16 Programming Track
... calls to action to increase views Different ways to promote your YouTube content on all of your social media channels Our conference programming ...

Univision Charges AT&T With “Redlining” As Programming Goes Dark On U-Verse
Univision lost access to about 5.6 million U-Verse subscribers last night as the Spanish language broadcast company and AT&T failed to agree ...

Sunday Afternoon ESPN Programming Is Grim
There’s really something to be said for ESPN’s Sunday afternoon programming, when the Worldwide Leader cedes all sports coverage to the broadcast ...

Save hundreds on the Python Programming Bootcamp
Save hundreds on the Python Programming Bootcamp