Re: SAS Data Set in Edit Mode #3

Anil,

Assuming you are trying to edit the SAS table in ViewTable, click on the
column header for the date column you want to edit  with your right mouse
button and choose Column Attributes from the resulting drop down list.  You
can then change the INFORMAT to one that will accept dates in the form you
want to use.

Joe

On 10/13/07, Peter Crawford <peter.crawford@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 11:33:15 -0400, Anil Anand <anilkranand@GMAIL.COM>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello All,
> >
> >I am trying to Edit a SAS datasetin Edit mode on Linux. When trying to
> >change a text or a numeric field, I have no problem.
> >
> >However, if the numeric field is in a SAS Date format, I cannot change
> it.
> >The Date field cell changes to Red when trying to change it and gives an
> >error.
> >
> >Is there a way around?
> >
> >Thanks for your help.
> >
> >Anil
>
> if you are able to alter the property (informat) of the date in that
> dataset, set it to something like the format, or date9. Otherwise you
> probably have to work out the "number of days since 1960"  -- the internal
> storage standard for SAS dates.
>
> Good Luck
>
> Peter C

Re: How to filter sas data sets into separate sas data sets #3
Lizette, Instead of trying to merge the two data sets, I would probably try to create a SAS format from the values of VAR1 in data set 1. Then, NODE1, NODE2 and NODE3 could be compared against the format for a match. The example below is a simplified version of what you could do and shows a printout of how it works. It has 5 observations in data set 1 and only 3 variables in data set 2, but I think the logic should hold for the example you gave. After the example is code that could be used to actually split the data as you had requested. Hope this helps. * create sas data set 1 ; data ...

Re: How to filter sas data sets into separate sas data sets #4
Something like this is the old way. You could use a proc sql if you have a new enough version. Increase your buffersize and if you have enough memory you may get it into a hash routine. DATA WORK.NEW; MERGE small (IN=A OBS=500) big ; BY ID_FIELD; IF A=1; RUN; QUIT; RICH -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@listserv.vt.edu] On Behalf Of Lizette Koehler Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 10:53 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.VT.EDU Subject: How to filter sas data sets into separate sas data sets Listers, This is my failing point in coding SAS. T...

Re: SAS Data Set in Edit Mode
Hi Anil, I am not on a Linux SAS server to verify, but I think you could work around by: 1) Changing the format of the date variable to numeric. 2) Editing the variable (not so nice since you need to know the numeric value for a specific date.) 3) Change the format back to the appropriate date format when done editing. This may be an intentional design or may be a bug, not sure... Good luck, Stephen -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Anil Anand Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2007 8:33 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS Data Set in Edit Mode Hello All, I am trying to Edit a SAS datasetin Edit mode on Linux. When trying to change a text or a numeric field, I have no problem. However, if the numeric field is in a SAS Date format, I cannot change it. The Date field cell changes to Red when trying to change it and gives an error. Is there a way around? Thanks for your help. Anil ...

Re: Exporting a SAS data set to Text file on SAS unix #3
hi ... actually, what I posted earlier was too much code (sorry) this is enough (a bit more succinct) * variable names into a macro variable (tab separated); proc sql noprint; select name into :vars separated by '09'x from dictionary.columns where libname eq 'SASHELP' and memname eq 'CLASS' order varnum; quit; data _null_; file 'z:\class.txt' dsd dlm='09'x ; if _n_ eq 1 then put "&vars"; set sashelp.class; put (_all_) (:); run; -- Mike Zdeb U@Albany School of Public Health One University Place Rensselaer, New York 12144-3456 P/518-402...

Re: Reading & Writing SAS data sets without SAS #3
Chang, You're correct in that a number of companies have done it. I believe SPSS can do it, WPS, Stat Transfer, dbmscopy, and perhaps others have also done it. But what I think is unique about this is that Alan is talking about offering plug-ins so you can roll-your-own so to speak. How cool would it be to have some type of driver/plugin for R? Phil Philip Rack MineQuest, LLC SAS & WPS Consulting and WPS Reseller Tel: (614) 457-3714 Web: www.MineQuest.com Blog: www.MineQuest.com/WordPress -----Original Message----- From: Chang Chung [mailto:chang_y_chung@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Monday...

Re: SAS Data Set in Edit Mode #2
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 11:33:15 -0400, Anil Anand <anilkranand@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >Hello All, > >I am trying to Edit a SAS datasetin Edit mode on Linux. When trying to >change a text or a numeric field, I have no problem. > >However, if the numeric field is in a SAS Date format, I cannot change it. >The Date field cell changes to Red when trying to change it and gives an >error. > >Is there a way around? > >Thanks for your help. > >Anil if you are able to alter the property (informat) of the date in that dataset, set it to something like the format, or date9. Otherwise you probably have to work out the "number of days since 1960" -- the internal storage standard for SAS dates. Good Luck Peter C ...

Re: How to filter sas data sets into separate sas data s ets
I think that both Ron's (as he mentioned) and Richard solutions require that VAR1 is in both datasets. But from the original post, it seemed to me that VAR1 is only in data set 1, and it must be matched to 1 of 3 variables in data set 2 (NODE1, NODE2 or NODE3) to be output to the NEWLIST data set. For this reason, I think a format is one possible approach. Maybe the original poster can clarify this point. Thanks. Jack Clark Research Analyst Center for Health Program Development and Management University of Maryland, Baltimore County -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussio...

Re: XML data to SAS data set converstion #3
Since a SAS dataset is not much good without SAS - unless your intent is to read it using something like StatTransfer, one would assume that the eventual target is for the data to be input into SAS. There are a couple of other possibilities. It would be possible to write a script in the language of your choice to pull the data from the XML file and also write data step code to read it. Another possibility would be to write an XMLMap file (another XML file) to describe how the transformation from the XML data file into one or more datasets is to be done. Since the XMLMap file is just another XML file it could be generated by an XML editor, a text editor, or the appropriate script. The SAS XML engine can use this XMLMAP file to read the original XML data file as if it were a SAS library. The XMLMAP file only needs to be created once to describe the transformation from a particular flavor of XML file (having a particular schema or DTD) to a particular set of SAS datasets. A single XML file can represent a collection of data that could be awkward to use in a single table, as in the case of a whole collection of tables from a relational database dumped into one XML file. While you could represent the XML file as a table with a column for the XPATH and a column for the content of that element or attribute, that would not necessarily be the best representation for working with the data. Instead, an XMLMAP file can direct the SAS XML engine to create a collection of tables. L...

Re: search SAS data set from SAS code
> From: Rose > Hi All, > Suppose I have a sas permanent data set which was created > early, I know > the library path but I couldn't remember in which sas program code I > created it. how can I search from so many sas program files in > different folders and find it. a problem familiar to all of us delayed-housekeeping folks. Libname Libref '<directory-specification>'; DATA LibRef.DataSetName; use your system utilities to search for the dir-spec of your libref. search: *.sas containing text: <dir-spec> once you have found the libname...

Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET #3
The disadvantages of using SQL delete are (1) NOBS= is no longer accurate, and (2) POINT= may behave unexpectedly. If those are not issues, then the delete would be faster, with or without an index, than recreating the data set (especially if the data set has indexes that would need to be rebuilt). -- Jack Hamilton jfh@alumni.stanford.org On Aug 15, 2008, at 11:17 am, Mary wrote: > One thing you might do is to add an index on the snap_dt to the > dataset; if that's there then you should be able to delete the > records in place: > > proc sql; > delete from prod.master_date; > where snap_dt = "&end_dt"d; > quit; > run; > > In both the ways you are trying now you are creating new data sets > rather than deleting records from the current data set; it would > seem to me that a SQL delete statement would be faster than creating > new datasets even if there isn't an index on the date. > > -Mary > ----- Original Message ----- > From: SUBSCRIBE SAS-L Chandra Gadde > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 12:14 PM > Subject: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET > > > Hi All > > I have several SAS datasets that are very very big. (50GB of size). > Every > month, the data is being appended to these datasets. I need to > deleted the > data which is greater than 24 months. What is the best method to do > this? > Please help me. > ...

SAS Data Set in Edit Mode
Hello All, I am trying to Edit a SAS datasetin Edit mode on Linux. When trying to change a text or a numeric field, I have no problem. However, if the numeric field is in a SAS Date format, I cannot change it. The Date field cell changes to Red when trying to change it and gives an error. Is there a way around? Thanks for your help. Anil ...

Re: search SAS data set from SAS code #2
Rose, The answer to your question depends on your operating system. In Windows, there's the Search tool. In Unix/Linux, you can use grep Bob Abelson HGSI 240 314 4400 x1374 bob_abelson@hgsi.com Rose <myr_rose@YAHOO.COM> Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 04/19/2005 11:13 AM Please respond to myr_rose To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU cc: Subject: search SAS data set from SAS code Hi All, Suppose I have a sas permanent data set which was created early, I know the library path but I couldn't remember in which s...

Re: search SAS data set from SAS code #5
Rose, You have some good advice on search techniques, but they may beinadequate. I hope your LIBNAME wasn't something like libname lib "&dir" ; Perhaps you should also search for ".member", but that also couldhave the same problem. You might also look for key variablenames or values, or procedures that you know created the data.The date from a PROC CONTENTs might provide useful information,or an old report created by the same program with a footnote,"Source code: ...". Maybe data lib.w ( label="created by ..." ) ; would be a good habit to ...

Re: sas data sets to excel #3
Maybe talk your client out of this? Or just do "passive-aggressive" and = send it on two sheets? It is a really, really bad idea to put two = different data sets on the same sheet.=20 -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: Qiang Fu=20 To: Mary=20 Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:08 AM Subject: Re: sas data sets to excel Hi, Thanks for your quick reply. I think, however, I didn't express me = clearly in the MSG. What I want is to export two different SAS data sets into ONE = weeksheet with one tab name instead of two weeksheets with two different = tab names. The example you gave will export the data sets into two = different tabs with names "sheet1" and "sheet2" respectively even they = are in same workbook. I know this task sounds insane, but client needs. = Any idea? Thanks a lot. Qiang On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Mary <mlhoward@avalon.net> wrote: Hi, I like to use Excel Tagsets for this; it will actually write an XML = file but you can open an XML file in either Excel 2003 or 2007. Setting = the sheet name switches sheets. Here is an example: Excel Tagsets give you a lot of formatting control; here is an = example: ods listing close; ods tagsets.excelxp file=3D"c:\temp\file1.xml' style=3Danalysis = options(absolute_column_width=3D'10,30,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,= 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8' sheet_label=3D' '...

Re: Reading SAS data sets on UNIX by non-SAS apps #2
John: Following on Richard's thoughtful suggestions, the Affinium system would likely capture data from csv files. SAS PROC EXPORT produces them quickly, and loading them into external systems works faster for relatively basic data structures and data formats, in my experience, than xml parsing. Sig -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of John Bentley Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 10:10 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Reading SAS data sets on UNIX by non-SAS apps I have SAS data sets on AIX that we need to read with Unica's Affinium campaign management software, also on a UNIX box. (Let's not get into why we didn't go with the SAS Solution.) SAS Institute doesn't supply an ODBC driver for the UNIX environment, and the Affinium implementors don't want to use the SAS SQL Library for C and or deal with APIs. Other that dumping the SAS data sets as flat files, can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks in advance for the help. ...

> From: Amar Mundankar > Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:10 AM > To: sas-l@uga.edu > Subject: What r the data types in SAS? in Base SAS , and SAS SQL > > Hi all, > What are the different data types in Base SAS and SAS SQL?? character, lengths from 1 to 32,000+ numeric: lengths from 2 to 8 dates are a subtype of numeric and are identified by their date, datetime, or time formats the new proc TSPL (Table Server Processing Language) supports ANSI data types: bigint, tinyint, etc. http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/tsag/30878/HTML/default/a003 065339.htm http://s...

Re: removing labels in SAS data sets #3
Don't use data steps for jobs that just modify meta data. The contents statements are included to show before and after, they would not normally be needed. data one; x=1; y=0; label x='hey x' y='hey y'; run; proc datasets nolist; contents; run; modify one; attrib _all_ label=' '; run; contents; run; quit; On Jan 16, 2008 7:57 AM, Darryl Putnam <darrylovia@gmail.com> wrote: > On Jan 15, 4:56 pm, Mterje...@RUSSELL.COM ("Terjeson, Mark") wrote: > > Hi Vincent, > > > > Here is one way: > > > > * turn on label ; > > data test; > > x = 1; > > label x='Hello'; > > run; > > > > * turn off label ; > > data test2; > > set test; > > label x=; > > run; > > > > Hope this is helpful. > > > > Mark Terjeson > > Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R > > Russell Investments > > > > Russell Investments > > Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SA...@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of duo > > > > wan > > Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:37 PM > > To: SA...@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > > Subject: removing labels in SAS data sets > > > > Hi All, > > > > I am trying to export a SAS data set...

Re: problem with large sas data sets #3
ok... If we are shipping data between 2 systems, there could be an "alien" system such as a windows, vms, amiga, or whatever between that may not be transmitting the data correctly, If the system is only shuffling data between 2 disk drives on the same CPU, then it could either be a hardware failure of some type, or maybe a write-behind cache could not be flushing completely before the program wants the data again. If I move huge amounts of data, i can see the drive hammering (by the lights) for minutes after the move complete, as the write-behind cache empties... j. Shiping Wang wrote: > Hi Jim > > On 4/21/08, *Jim Agnew* <agnew@vcu.edu <mailto:agnew@vcu.edu>> wrote: > > But, is there a "different" system between the 2 unixes? > > > I know that we use solaris > > > Or, is the SAS dataset being copied to another drive within the same > system? > > > That's possible. Could that cause a problem for data damage? > > j. > > Shiping Wang wrote: > > I use Sas under unix system. > > On 4/21/08, *Jim Agnew* <agnew@vcu.edu <mailto:agnew@vcu.edu> > <mailto:agnew@vcu.edu <mailto:agnew@vcu.edu>>> wrote: > > hhmm.. are you crossing operating systems, like a windows or vms > inbetween unix hosts? is there FTP involved anywhere and it's > sending binary as ascii? ...

Re: SAS data-set index size #3
auto208611@HUSHMAIL.COM wrote: > >Is a telling story if the size of the SAS index file (*.sas7bdnx) is >75% the size >of the SAS data-set itself? > >For instance, we have a data-set that is 533MB's and the index file >is >400MB's. > >Is this an indication of a poor data-set structure? No, it is not an indication of a poor data structure. (You may *have* a poor data structure, but the relative size of the index file is not indicative.) Since Mister Index himself has already chipped in, I'll just add a couple other points. Think conceptually of the i...

Re: SAS with data sets of a billion+ records #3
Dear SAS-L-ers, Richard Reeves posted the following: > I am working with some tables that have between 600 million > and 1.2 billion records. In the end I will only need about > 400 million of these records but to identify them I will have > join several tables together (sorting or indexing each time) > to get to this point. The files don't have a lot of fields as > they come from a very normalized transactional system so even > when everything is joined there will be <50 fields. > > Before I get too far down this road I would like to know if > anyone re...

Re: how to find sas sample data set #3
Thank all for your answers! It works now. Orange On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Gerhard Hellriegel < gerhard.hellriegel@t-online.de> wrote: > Something with "sample" if they are installed... > It depends on the SAS module. For BASE it is ...\core\sample\ > Gerhard > > > On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:22:48 -0500, help ly <help.ly2005@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > >Hi, I am trying to find SAS sample data set such as medical data set or > >hospital data set because it has to be used in those excersize problems in > >the sas books - Learning SAS by Example. There are supposed to be many > of > >those sample data set from SAS itself, right? > > > >Can anyone help me what's the directory for the data set? > > > >Thanks so much! > > > >Orange > >help.ly2005@gmail.com > -- Thanks so much! Orange help.ly2005@gmail.com Hi Orange, I am facing the same problem you had before. How did you find the example data? I don't see them in either SASHELP or SASUSER library. Thank you! Gavin On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:29:11 PM UTC-5, help ly wrote: > Thank all for your answers! It works now. > > Orange > > On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Gerhard Hellriegel < > gerhard.hellriegel@t-online.de> wrote: > > > Something with "sample" if they are installed... > > It depends on the SAS module. For BASE it is ...

Re: using a SAS data set to inform a macro #3
Here's the shell of a macro that loops through the values of a var in a dataset: %macro loopy(var = , dset = ) ; proc sql noprint ; * Select out the var names of interest. ; select distinct &var into :n1-:n9999 from &dset ; * How many rows were there? ; %let num_rows = &SQLOBS ; %do i = 1 %to &num_rows ; %let this_one = &&n&i ; %put Working on name &this_one ; <<pass &this_one into your macro here>> %end ; quit ; %mend loopy ; Note that you've got to make sure the upper limit on that :n var is high enough to get all your recs. HTH, -Roy -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Kevin F. Spratt Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 1:18 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: using a SAS data set to inform a macro I have written a program that uses proc compare to look for differences in data entry. 1. I import the access table, which includes both entries in the sample table, 2. Split the entries into two separate SAS data sets, 3. Make sure sure any cases that don't have data for both entries are not included, 4. Dump those cases that aren't included into a separate data set 5. Run the compare procedure. 6. Print the output to a file named according so the access table name. My problem is that I need to do this for 14 separate tables and I will need to do this...

Re: how to covert macro variables into sas data sets? #3

Re: Loading SAS Data Set To Oracle Error #3
Toby, I'm not sure what is happening under the hood on the Oracle side when you're doing the proc append, but if it involves PL/SQL, your access via the DBA role is insufficient. PL/SQL requires explicit CREATE TABLE privileges in the schema, not just privileges granted through a role. Carol Bristow DPRA Inc. 1655 N. Ft Myer Dr Ste 925 Arlington, VA 22209 phone: 703-682-2612 fax: 703-528-3100 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of toby dunn Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:38 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Loading SAS Data Set To Oracle Error Im trying to load a SAS data set to our Oracle DataBase using various methods the only method I have found that works is Proc DBLoad which has a limitation to the lengths of variable names of 8 characters, Im not about to go renaming 100 plus variables. The error we keep getting is: 74 Proc Append 75 Base = ORA.Test2 76 Data = Test ; 77 Run ; NOTE: Appending WORK.TEST to ORA.TEST2. NOTE: BASE data set does not exist. DATA file is being copied to BASE file. ERROR: Error attempting to CREATE a DBMS table. ERROR: ORACLE execute error: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges.. Any clue as to what the heck privileges I need. We have added me on as a DBA role and that doesnt even seem to fix the problem. Toby Dunn Compromise is like telling a lie, it gets easier and easier. Each compromise you make, that becomes your standard. Perfection...

Web resources about - Re: SAS Data Set in Edit Mode #3 - comp.soft-sys.sas

Data - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For data in computer science, see Data (computing) . For other uses, see Data (disambiguation) . is a set of values of qualitative or quantitative ...

Data stickies, a graphene alternative to flash drives
Data stickies is a design concept, but not necessarily a pipe dream. There’s some real science here. dataSTICKIES are conceptualized to be made ...

T-Mobile adds YouTube, Google Play Movies & much more to Binge On data free streaming
T-Mobile is expanding its Binge On initiative that allows users to stream content in certain apps without using up their data allowance, and ...

Microsoft is farming your data, but it isn't what you think
... the testbed will rely on the expertise of our DX team to provide the high-level architecture and software to collect and analyze data from sensors ...

TIM COOK: Actually, there's plenty of data the FBI can use to spy on people
... direct access to devices when people are freely giving away so much personal information to social networks and other services that store data ...

4 tactics that put data ahead of drama when making IT procurement decisions
With IT budgets on the rise , and the average company spending 5% of its revenues on IT , according to one study, billions of dollars are being ...

Study: Ads On The Mobile Web Don’t Just Suck, They Suck Up Valuable Data
You’ve got a limited allotment of monthly LTE data to use, so you’re careful with it. You just load up the news and read it — on a reputable ...

Shaky Data Leaves Experts Fearful Of Global Recession
Shaky Data Leaves Experts Fearful Of Global Recession

Study: 18 to 79% of Data Allotments Eaten by Ads -
A new report by Enders Analysis suggests that ad content can account for between 18% and 79% of user broadband data consumed. That's obviously ...

A new plan to fight ISIS: turning big data on social media
The latest weapon in the War on Terror uses corporate-style analytics to direct the unseen hand of government propaganda.