Re: SAS executable files..

Ron,

Part of the question was "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS
program that can be run outside of the SAS environment?". Does this BI
Server really do this? Does it create a file that I can then run on a
machine that does not have SAS installed?

Dennis Diskin

On 4/26/05, Fehd, Ronald J <rjf2@cdc.gov> wrote:
> > From: Christopher Amherst
> > Or as asked by higher-ups:
> >
> > "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS program that can be
> > run outside of the SAS environment?"
> >
> > So anyone know if it's possible to create an .exe file of
> > compiled SAS code?
> >
> > If so, what does one need, and where can I find the reference
> > materials to create it?
>
> Yes, The Next Big Thing from SAS
> is the Business Intelligence Server
> from which you can open The Software Cowboys word processor
> and spreadsheet
> the menu bar of which has a New&Improved SAS pick
> underneath is a list of Stored Processes
> tested programs which return their results
> into your .doc or .xls
>
> marvelous? no?!
>
> your check-book should contain a comma followed by three zeros
> for the following:
> * hardware: server
> * software
>
> SAS programs may be registered as a Stored Process
> via Enterprise Guide
> or by your resident Java server wizard.
>
> you can Google SAS Business Intelligence Server
> and find this:
> http://www.sas.com/technologies/bi/entbiserver/brochure.pdf
>
> Ron Fehd  the macro maven  CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov

0
ddiskin (201)

Re: Executing separate SAS File from Main SAS File
See %include -----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu]On Behalf Of tobyrathgeb@stanford.edu Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 2:42 PM To: sas-l@uga.edu Subject: Executing separate SAS File from Main SAS File Hi All I was wondering if I can initiate execution of SAS code stored in a SAS file from my main SAS code. Help very much appreciated. Thanks Toby __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately. Ce courrier �lectronique est confidentiel et prot�g�. L'exp�diteur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) d�sign�(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier �lectronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser imm�diatement, par retour de courrier �lectronique ou par un autre moyen. ...

Re: running a sas file within a sas file
Like Joep wrote: that seems to be the right thing for the macro facility. With %include you are very static. With the macro facility that could be very dynamic. The simplest thing is: you could provide the statements you want to insert as parameter: %macro doit(stmt1=,stmt2=); ..... &stmt1 ..... &stmt2 ..... %mend; %doit(stmt1=%str(y=sqrt(y);), stmt2=%str(if y<2 then y=2;) ); with many other things you can do, e.g. conditional creating of statements, naming variables by parameters, create multiple statements with macro loops and much more. On the other hand: if you want to do such simple things like you wrote, avoid any %INC or %MACRO things! It is far more readable, if you don't use %INCLUDES. What do you think, that data-step will do: data a; %inc(inc1); %inc(inc2); %inc(inc3); run; ??? instead of: data a; set sashelp.class; if age>11 then age=11; keep name age; run; Gerhard On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 01:42:03 -0700, Joep Steeman <jsteeman@BUSINESSDECISION.COM> wrote: >On 9 jun, 09:20, zpe...@NATURE.BERKELEY.EDU (Zach Peery) wrote: >> Sorry to bug you all with such an easy one, but I havent had much luck >> with the usual help sources. >> >> I just want to run a sas program file within a sas program file. For >> example, in sas file 1 I want to set x equal to 2, then with file 2 >> invoked by file 1, I want to set y = 3. >> >> So sas file 1 looks like this... >> &g...

Executing separate SAS File from Main SAS File
Hi All I was wondering if I can initiate execution of SAS code stored in a SAS file from my main SAS code. Help very much appreciated. Thanks Toby See %include -----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu]On Behalf Of tobyrathgeb@stanford.edu Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 2:42 PM To: sas-l@uga.edu Subject: Executing separate SAS File from Main SAS File Hi All I was wondering if I can initiate execution of SAS code stored in a SAS file from my main SAS code. Help very much appreciated. Thanks Toby __________________________________...

Re: Is there a system option for OpenVMS SAS version 8 where a sas program can create an output file with a file attribute of "Stream_LF" so that these external files c
Charles Patridge <charles_s_patridge@PRODIGY.NET> wrote: > Is there a system option for OpenVMS SAS version 8 where a sas program can > create an output file with a file attribute of "Stream_LF" so that these > external files can be served through an Apache WebServer properly? > > Currently, what happens is when we create a CSV file, the Apache Webserver > wants to load the contents of this CSV file into a single cell for Excel. > That is, all OBS are treated as a SINGLE record and all the contents is > loaded into a single cell within Excel. > > T...

Re: Executable files in SAS
The 'runtime' here is not a royalty-free redistributable thing like a java or .net runtime though, right? End-users of the program need to have a full-blown sas install to run a sas program. -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Terjeson, Mark (IM&R) Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:37 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Executable files in SAS Hi Ranjan, No, not with just an executable name, however you can invoke the runtime and the sas program in one command as if from a command line or system call, which does the same job. Hope this is helpful. Mark Terjeson Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R Russell Investment Group Russell Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of ranjan Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:17 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Executable files in SAS Hi All I was wondering is there any way to have an executable file of a SAS program. Just like we have in C/C++ By executing which we can have the program executed. Regards ...

Re: Executing a SAS script from another SAS script
Yeah %include the sas program into the program you want to have run it. Toby Dunn To sensible men, every day is a day of reckoning. ~John W. Gardner The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice that which we are for what we could become. ~Charles DuBois Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter From: Dimitri Shvorob <dimitri.shvorob@VANDERBILT.EDU> Reply-To: Dimitri Shvorob <dimitri.shvorob@VANDERBILT.EDU> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Executing a SAS script from another SAS script Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:53:59 -0500 I am certain that this can be done using 'x' command, but is there an easier way? Thank you. _________________________________________________________________ Search for grocery stores. Find gratitude. Turn a simple search into something more. http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG ...

Re: converting sas transport files into sas datasets
Once you have assigned an xport libname you can read it in like a normal dataset. libname out xport 'C:\Documents and Settings\kdt\Desktop\class.xpt'; *- Create xport file; data out.class; set sashelp.class; run; *- Create work file from xport file; data work.class; set out.class; run; 2008/12/17 <pramila.sami@gmail.com>: > Hello All, > > Could anyone please give me the code for converting sas transport > files into sas datasets. thanks in advance. > ...

Re: View files with SAS extension in SAS explorer
The SAS explorer shows you sas datasets (.sas7bdat), not programs (.sas). Open program... wil let you open SAS programs (From the file menu). -Joe On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM, franwdwyer@googlemail.com < franwdwyer@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I'm just new to SAS and this list and have this question. > > If I create a new library in SAS Explorer and then I save some SAS > programs to it (.sas extension), how come I can't see these types of > file in the SAS Explorer? > > Thanks for any help, > > Fran > ...

Re: Opening non SAS files with BASE SAS ?
SYSTASK may be what you want. SYSTASK COMMAND "operating system-command" <WAIT | NOWAIT> <TASKNAME=taskname> <MNAME=name-var> <STATUS=stat-var> <SHELL<="shell-command">>; On 10/10/07, anderson115@gmail.com <anderson115@gmail.com> wrote: > Is there a function that executes a non SAS file? > > I've written a macro that outputs a file with the extention SQL (EXE > would also be helpful). > > *.SQL files are associated with SQL server on my computer so I'd like > to make SAS execute this file so it triggers the SQL server program. > > Is this possible? > > Thank You, > Aaron > ...

Re: Opening non SAS files with BASE SAS ? #2
Hi, If, when you check your licensing(i.e. SETINIT) proc setinit; run; in SAS, if you have SAS/ACC-ODBC, then you can easily setup an ODBC entry in your Windows ODBC Wizard to your SQL Server. After doing that you can run the SQL Server query from SAS directly to SQL Server and have the result come right directly back into SAS into a SAS dataset. See the couple archive links below for syntax details. http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0709C&L=sas-l&P=R12721 http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0105D&L=sas-l&P=R13103 The X command in SAS can run external commands but the SQL-passthrough is what most of us use. Hope this is helpful. Mark Terjeson Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R Russell Investments Russell Investments Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of anderson115@GMAIL.COM Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 12:43 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Opening non SAS files with BASE SAS ? Is there a function that executes a non SAS file? I've written a macro that outputs a file with the extention SQL (EXE would also be helpful). *.SQL files are associated with SQL server on my computer so I'd like to make SAS execute this file so it triggers the SQL server program. Is this possible? Thank You, Aaron ...

Re: SAS executable files.. #4
> From: Christopher Amherst > Or as asked by higher-ups: > > "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS program that can be > run outside of the SAS environment?" > > So anyone know if it's possible to create an .exe file of > compiled SAS code? > > If so, what does one need, and where can I find the reference > materials to create it? Yes, The Next Big Thing from SAS is the Business Intelligence Server from which you can open The Software Cowboys word processor and spreadsheet the menu bar of which has a New&Improved SAS pick underneath is a list of Stored Processes tested programs which return their results into your .doc or .xls marvelous? no?! your check-book should contain a comma followed by three zeros for the following: * hardware: server * software SAS programs may be registered as a Stored Process via Enterprise Guide or by your resident Java server wizard. you can Google SAS Business Intelligence Server and find this: http://www.sas.com/technologies/bi/entbiserver/brochure.pdf Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov ...

running a sas file within a sas file
Sorry to bug you all with such an easy one, but I havent had much luck with the usual help sources. I just want to run a sas program file within a sas program file. For example, in sas file 1 I want to set x equal to 2, then with file 2 invoked by file 1, I want to set y = 3. So sas file 1 looks like this... data data; x = 2; ***How do I invoke sas file 2 which sets y = 3 here???*** run; Thanks!!! On 9 jun, 09:20, zpe...@NATURE.BERKELEY.EDU (Zach Peery) wrote: > Sorry to bug you all with such an easy one, but I havent had much luck > with the usual help sources. > > I just want to run a sas program file within a sas program file. For > example, in sas file 1 I want to set x equal to 2, then with file 2 > invoked by file 1, I want to set y = 3. > > So sas file 1 looks like this... > > data data; > x = 2; > ***How do I invoke sas file 2 which sets y = 3 here???*** > run; > > Thanks!!! Here is a way. sas file 2 saved as your_file_location\inclfile2.sas: y = 3; sas file 1: data test; x = 2; %include 'your_file_location\inclfile2.sas'; put (_all_ ) (=); run; One could think macro, which could operate in much the same way, but can be more flexible. %macro setvar(v=y); &v = 3; %mend setvar; sas file 1: data test; x = 2; %setvar(v=z); put (_all_ ) (=); run; There are other ways as well. My question would be: why would you want this and in this way? Regards, Joep ...

Re: SAS executable files.. #7
Yes and no. :-) with the BI server, you propose to reach SAS dataset or stored process without SAS client. You pc need the .dll to add a menu 'SAS solutions' into excel or word to execute the program or see the table. with the portal information (entreprise bi server, financial Management...) you can propose a suitable way to use SAS by IE, but you can't imagine to work freely (create a program do what you want...) But I agree, you can't compile a .sas and call it in another environment as you can do with a C program. St�phane. ----Message d'origine---- >Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:24:37 -0400 >De: Dennis Diskin <ddiskin@GMAIL.COM> >Sujet: Re: SAS executable files.. >A: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > >Ron, > >Part of the question was "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS >program that can be run outside of the SAS environment?". Does this BI >Server really do this? Does it create a file that I can then run on a >machine that does not have SAS installed? > >Dennis Diskin > > >On 4/26/05, Fehd, Ronald J <rjf2@cdc.gov> wrote: >> > From: Christopher Amherst >> > Or as asked by higher-ups: >> > >> > "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS program that can be >> > run outside of the SAS environment?" >> > >> > So anyone know if it's possible to create an .exe file of >> > compiled SAS code? >...

Re: SAS executable files.. #8
>I asked: > > Or as asked by higher-ups: > > > > "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS program that can be > > run outside of the SAS environment?" I thought the answer was no.. (which was my initial answer followed by "but I'll ask..", teach me to add a conditional at the end of a sentence) >Yes, The Next Big Thing from SAS >is the Business Intelligence Server Actually, thinking outside of the box a bit.. But what's required for SAS/Intrnet, in terms of modules? (And is the BI Server replacing that or just a larger package with that involved?) (Thought was: Well, if you just want to run a SAS query whenever you feel like, could just load it into an app server queried by a web server for a basic report) Signed, Christopher ...

Re: SAS executable files.. #5
Hello Christopher... I don't think such a thing exists as of now... Sometimes, I which it = could !!!! It would have been like the dBASE III code that was compiled using Clipper or some other compiler available to do the task. But for SAS, I don't think we'll see the day of this dream coming true...=20 Perhaps our grand-children will be luckier ;-) Sincerely yours, Patrice Bourdages Information System Analyst Industrial Alliance, home and car insurance -----Message d'origine----- De : SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]De la part de Christopher Amherst Envoy=E9 : 26 avril, 2005 09:00 =C0 : SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Objet : SAS executable files.. Or as asked by higher-ups: "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS program that can be run = outside of the SAS environment?" So anyone know if it's possible to create an .exe file of compiled SAS = code? If so, what does one need, and where can I find the reference materials = to create it? Christopher ...

Re: Unix SAS: How to save log file while in SAS session? #2
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:18:03 -0500, Duck-Hye Yang <dyang@CHAPINHALL.ORG> wrote: >Hello, > >I am using SAS Unix Display manager. >I put together single small sas programming files in one giant sas programming file. >I need to save log and output files AFTER each single small programming file. >The problem is that I do not know how to save log and output while in SAS session. > >Below is the outline of what I'd like to do: > > >DM 'clear log'; >DM 'clear output'; >SAS 1 programming start here >end here >x 'file "SAS...

Re: SAS executable files.. #9 1546970
Given previous responses, there are two parallel "bottom lines" here: 1. No, you can't "compile" a SAS program and run it later without any SAS involvement at all. 2. But you can store a SAS program, and run it on a SAS server somewhere, without SAS needing to be on the local computer. In answer to your follow-up questions: I believe the only thing you need for SAS/IntrNet is SAS/IntrNet itself, plus Base SAS. Of course, depending on what you want to do, you might need or want SAS/STAT, SAS/GRAPH, etc. The BI Server provides a much wider range of capabilities than does SAS/IntrNet. One component of the BI Server allows you to run jobs in an environment very similar to SAS/IntrNet. Thus, if a site licenses the (much more expensive) BI Server, it would not also need SAS/IntrNet. However, we were assured at SUGI that SAS/IntrNet is not going away, for those sites where it might better meet their needs (economic or otherwise). Mike Rhoads Westat RhoadsM1@Westat.com -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Christopher Amherst Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:53 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS executable files.. >I asked: > > Or as asked by higher-ups: > > > > "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS program that can be > > run outside of the SAS environment?" I thought the answer was no.. (which was my initial answer followed by "but...

Re: SAS executable files.. #6 1546966
Christopher, No, it is not possible. The reason is that SAS merges the program code with the metadata for the datasets being processed at execution time on a datestep/procstep at a time basis. HTH, Dennis Diskin On 4/26/05, Christopher Amherst <camherst@fas.harvard.edu> wrote: > Or as asked by higher-ups: > > "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS program that can be run outside of > the SAS environment?" > > So anyone know if it's possible to create an .exe file of compiled SAS code? > > If so, what does one need, and where can I find the reference materials to > create it? > > Christopher > ...

Re: SAS executable files.. #9 645778
Lou <lpogodajr292185@COMCAST.NET> sagely advised: > . . . . > It would be possible to write a SAS program that was one large DATA step - > years ago I knew several people who had started their careers as COBOL > programmers and who, when they started using SAS, wrote SAS programs that > were one DATA step a couple thousand lines long, full of LINKs and GOTOs. > So long as such a step didn't use macros or implicit data driven values, it > would be possible in principle to compile such a program so that it would > run on any compatible computer whether or not S...

Re: SAS executable files.. #6 645596
> From: Dennis Diskin > Part of the question was > "Is there a way to create a compiled SAS program > that can be run outside of the SAS environment?". > Does this BI Server really do this? I am unsure as to the correct word to call the real mechanism by which this happens. If I understand the process correctly: the stored process is executed as a batch job on the server. SAS on the desktop? no SAS on the server ? yes Perhaps a Little Birdie would be kind enough to provide a minimalist commentary. iirc: there is some xml under the hood for each program. I haven&#...

Re: Executable files in SAS #3 663086
ranjan.rao@GMAIL.COM wrote: >I was wondering is there any way to have an executable file of a SAS >program. Just like we have in C/C++ By executing which we can have the >program executed. Sorry, but no. SAS is not a compiled language. You can't do this in SAS, any more than you can do it in Oracle, SPSS, Teradata, Stata, DB2, .... HTH, David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330 _________________________________________________________________ On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on ho...

Re: Executable files in SAS #3 1552345
Hi Ranjan, No, not with just an executable name, however you can invoke the runtime and the sas program in one command as if from a command line or system call, which does the same job. Hope this is helpful. Mark Terjeson Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R Russell Investment Group Russell Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of ranjan Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:17 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Executable files in SAS Hi All I was wondering is there any way to have an executable file of a SAS program. Just like we have in C/C++ By executing which we can have the program executed. Regards ...

Re: Exporting a SAS data set to Text file on SAS unix #3
hi ... actually, what I posted earlier was too much code (sorry) this is enough (a bit more succinct) * variable names into a macro variable (tab separated); proc sql noprint; select name into :vars separated by '09'x from dictionary.columns where libname eq 'SASHELP' and memname eq 'CLASS' order varnum; quit; data _null_; file 'z:\class.txt' dsd dlm='09'x ; if _n_ eq 1 then put "&vars"; set sashelp.class; put (_all_) (:); run; -- Mike Zdeb U@Albany School of Public Health One University Place Rensselaer, New York 12144-3456 P/518-402...

> From: Amar Mundankar > Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:10 AM > To: sas-l@uga.edu > Subject: What r the data types in SAS? in Base SAS , and SAS SQL > > Hi all, > What are the different data types in Base SAS and SAS SQL?? character, lengths from 1 to 32,000+ numeric: lengths from 2 to 8 dates are a subtype of numeric and are identified by their date, datetime, or time formats the new proc TSPL (Table Server Processing Language) supports ANSI data types: bigint, tinyint, etc. http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/tsag/30878/HTML/default/a003 065339.htm http://s...

Web resources about - Re: SAS executable files.. - comp.soft-sys.sas

Executable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... . However, in a more general sense, a file containing instructions (such as bytecode ) for a software interpreter may also be considered executable ...

The Care and Feeding of Weird Machines Found in Executable Metadata [29c3] - YouTube
The Care and Feeding of Weird Machines Found in Executable Metadata The Executable and Linkable Format (ELF) is omnipresent; related OS and library ...

Agile Test Case Management – Specifications and Executable Specifications
... from the first three posts in this series and we’re well into realm of dangerous with Specification and their automated compatriots, Executable ...

Should You Recompile Your Software as a 64-Bit Executable?
Describes the 64-bit features available in OS X. As a general rule, in OS X v10.7 and later, the answer is probably yes. A 64-bit executable ...

For a year, one rogue Tor node added malware to Windows executables
... Tor exit node. F-Secure Three weeks ago, a security researcher uncovered a Tor exit node that added malware to uncompressed Windows executables ...

BusyBox crams 117 Unix tools into a tiny Windows executable
... looking for simplicity and convenience, it’s hard to beat BusyBox , which crams tiny versions of 117 Unix utilities into a single 645 KB executable. ...

Analysis Nirvana Via Stripped Executables and Binaries?
CodeSonar for binaries identifies security vulnerabilities in third-party executables

AMD’s GPU performance under Linux can be boosted by renaming certain executables
A new report claims that CS:Go players with AMD Radeon GPUs on Linux can boost performance significantly by renaming files.

Patent US5432937 - Method and apparatus for architecture independent executable files - Google Patents ...
The present invention is a method that enables single release of applications for multiple architectures and operating systems and to provide ...

pefile - pefile is a Python module to read and work with PE (Portable Executable) files - Google Project ...
pefile is a multi-platform Python module to read and work with Portable Executable (aka PE) files . Most of the information in the PE Header ...