Re: SAS Parallel processing #3 1565310

Like Robert said: it is impossible to help you without knowing anything,
but your machines and how many processors they have. We don't know, where
the problem is located, if we don't know which errors you get!
One idea: you say, you test macros in your local environment? When you
call them in remote programs, you get errors? Maybe something that the
macro %xyz is unknown? That's the case if they are local to your PC and
you submit and execute code on a remote machine!

By the way: do we talk of parallel-processing, or remote-processing?

Gerhard

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:29:15 +0200, Robert Bardos <bardos2@ANSYS.CH> wrote:

>Ram,
>
>if (for obvious reasons since you are rsubmitting code) you can not give
us
>ready-to-run code then at least show us the error messages you get.
>
>Kind regards
>Robert
>

>> -----Urspruengliche Nachricht-----
>> Von Ram
>> Gesendet: Dienstag, 31. Juli 2007 02:51
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am relatively new to SAS parallel processing scene and trying to
>> work on the following piece of code using SAS 9 on a PC. The remote
>> server has 4 processors and this is a UNIX based server. On my PC
>> windows based SAS, I execute the following code after connecting to
>> the remote server.
>>

>  [ lots of code snipped / rb ]
>

>> I get several errors while processing the above program. I tested the
>> sas programs in the %include statement 'simulate.sas' and
>> 'outputs.sas' but these do not give me errors while processed
>> individually. However, when I try to include the macros in these
>> programs into the code above, I get errors. Sometimes it also happens
>> that I run the program but I am not able to see the output for any of
>> the tasks. The log says "Remote submit to task 1 complete" (which
>> means the loop for j has run only for j=1, while typically I have j=1
>> to 10), and then the program terminates and I get no output.
>>
>> Can someone help me out with this ?
>>
>> Thanks a ton,
>> Ram.

Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) #3
Wow, that was a leap. Better not use Apache or PHP then. Andy >-----Original Message----- >From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On >Behalf Of ben.powell@CLA.CO.UK >Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 10:37 AM >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: Re: R vs. SAS (was Replacement for SAS (SPSS vs. SAS, redux)) > >Sounds like R is the SAS equivalent of Linux .. who are >incidentally in all >sorts of a copy left/right mess at the moment. > >On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:39:37 -0500, Peter Flom <flom@NDRI.ORG> wrote: > >>I use both SAS a...

Re: SAS Advanced Programming Exam for SAS 9: SAS Joke of the year. #3
Okay, I think I need to weigh-in on this. First, the exam is designed to test what you know about how SAS works. I think it does a fair job at that. (I say so partly because I only scored 89 on the exam. Now, I didn't prepare for the exam; I was really testing the exam when I took it as opposed to using the exam to test my skills.) The exam doesn't know how well you can program. There is a big difference between having a large vocabulary and knowing the rules of grammar and knowing how to write. Similarly, there's a big difference between knowing how SAS works and knowing how to program. The exam does not test how well you can program. That said, when I look for someone to hire that I don't know, I need everything I can get to evaluate the candidate. Sure, it would be nice if they brought a portfolio of their code so I could see what they can write. That seldom happens, and when it does the code is often not really written by the applicant. So, I look for other things. An applicant often tells what they worked on, but that too can be exaggerated. What am I left with? Well, someone can program who doesn't know SAS, but probably they won't be a very good SAS programmer. I'd rather have the exam to judge than to not have the exam. If I were to apply for a job where the employer didn't know me, I would also want the certification to help them make the decision. Oh, as for the version 9 questions, I remember finding several. Just d...

Re: SAS Sample 1728 Was ---> Re: SAS Sample 1727 #3
First, let me admit/acknowledge that I have no knowledge of the history of this thread. Been tied up catching up post SAS Global Forum and post the announcement of sasCommunity.org. But I would like to offer some thoughts regarding Toby's comment: > No as for the sascommunity.org, do we really want a macro library. Well I > would say yes and no. I would like to have one and there are those who > have > paced some Macros on there already. I believe Don and Ron both have, > actually they were on there before the Wiki went public. However, since > people tend to get Ma...

Re: SAS System Viewer 9.1 unable to open SAS datasets ( SAS 9.1.3)
A question in return: is your table from windows? compressed from another system? and specially with personnel formats hard coded inside? Andre msiddu2000 a �crit : > SAS System Viewer 9.1 was able to open datasets that were created by > V8 engine (SAS 8.2), but is unable to open datasets that are created > with V9 engine (SAS 9.1.3). > > Does this need SAS System Viewer to be upgraded ? > or > Something else needs to be done ? > > -- Andr� WIELKI INED (Institut National d'Etudes D�mographiques) Service Informatique 133 Boulevard Davout 75980 Paris Cedex 20 m�l : wielki@ined.fr t�l : 33 (0) 1 56 06 21 54 ...

Re: SAS maps / SAS Graphs #3
Vincent, While it probably violates most of the requirements for "good" graphs, I've been quite impressed with how much information one can convey with a SAS prism map. For example, the map I used in a presentation last year: http://torsas.ca/downloads/Art.ppt#357,4,Slide 4 showed the number of vehicles in each of Canada's provinces and territories, representing number by height of the geographical area. Art ----------- On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 13:08:11 -0500, Vincent Granville <vincentg@DATASHAPING.COM> wrote: >We are looking for nice SAS graphs to post in the image section on >AnalyticBridge. If you have produced such graphs, you are welcome to post >them (migh require a sign up, but it's free). You can also rate the graphs >posted by other participants. It's a good way to be noticed for the >quality of your work. See http://www.analyticbridge.com/photo/photo to >view the graphs currently posted (not all of them are produced with SAS). ...

Re: Parallel Processing in SAS
Jer wrote: > I've heard that there are opportunties to do some parallel processing if > your server has multiple CPUs. I think there are also opportunities for parallel processing with single CPU machines that support threading; one tread can execute while another is waiting for I/O to complete, for example. > We have 4 CPUs running on windows 2003 SP1. > > Anyone have any insight or articles about Parallel processing? You might look through the SAS web site; there have been several SUGI papers about parallel processing, and probably some SASGloF papers as well. > I heard only a few procs can actually utilize and take advantage of parallel > processing, but wasn't sure. There are only a few procedures (SORT and SQL and the SUMMARY/REPORT/TABULATE family are probably the most commonly used, but there are other ways to get parallel processing. If your program can be split manually into appropriate chunks, you can use Multi-Processor Connect to parallelize your work. You could also use regular connect, but there are some advantages to MP Connect. There is a pipe engine that uses parallel processing. In 9.2, there will be a threaded database and a threaded data step; neither is exactly like the current base engine and data step. I think the SPDE libname engine uses parallel processing for searches; there's also a SPDS table server product. Some SAS/Access products use multithreading for data transfer. There is a grid computing option, ...

Re: SAS Parallel processing
[...]

Re: Invoking SAS from non SAS environment! #3
Ankit, If performance is an issue then definitely go with a web service based approach. Web services offer synchronous and asynchronous communication. Since web services communicate over port 80, they are secure and they are as fast as your internet connection. Using older stuff such as ftp and telnet are going to be slower not to mention a lot more cumbersome. Also, going down these older paths can work but it will be a hacked up solution and may not be supported by the IT dept over time? Why? Open ports outside of 80 are security issues. Hence, why web services are so important. However, i...

Re: Difference Between PC SAS and UNIX SAS #3
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 05:51:32 -0700, Lou <lpogoda@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >On Jun 5, 11:50 pm, PaulOK <nancynpaul-s...@yahoo.com> wrote: >> On Jun 5, 5:53 pm, "Lou" <lpog...@verizon.net> wrote: >> .... >> >> > In my limited experience, there are minor programming differences - you use >> > a forward slash instead of a backward slash in path names for example, >> >> .... >> Actually one can use either forward or backward slashes in Windows SAS >> programs. > >Yes one can use either in SAS for Windows, but not in SAS for Unix > >> >> libname datalib "c:/data/project/work"; >> >> works exactly the same as >> >> libname datalib "c:\data\project\work"; >> >> .... >> >> > Lastly, the documentation for SAS on Unix is riddled with misinformation and >> > in some cases is flatly wrong - obviously copied from some other platform >> > (probably Windows) and not checked for accuracy or applicability. >> >> Could you provide a specific example where the UNIX SAS documentations >> is 'flatly wrong'. > > >I'm not currently working in a place that has a unix environment, so >this is from memory. Where I was working a couple of years ago, the >company had made the decision to go to SAS on Unix, bought a shiny new >server, installed SAS, etc. I was par...

Re: SAS vs. SPLUS vs. SAS #3
I don't know much about trials work, but it has been discussed on the r-help list, and there are definitely people who use R for this type of thing Peter -----Original Message----- >From: Paul Miller <pjmiller_57@YAHOO.COM> >Sent: Dec 11, 2009 4:09 PM >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: SAS vs. SPLUS vs. SAS > >Hello Everyone, >� >I’ve recently become interested in sequential clinical trials designs. I’ve purchased a book that discusses the topic called “Analysis of Clinical Trials using SAS: A Practical Guide.” Upon trying to run some of the ...

Re: SAS code beautifier or SAS Tidy #3
Yes indeed. I gave Alan the worst code (authors shall remain anonymous to protect the guilty, but the project involved Mortgage Banking services...) I have seen in over two decade of looking at SAS code, and his utility cleaned it right up. On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Richard Read Allen <peakstat@wispertel.net>wrote: > Try www.savian.net. I think Alan Churchill may have developed some > utilities > that may be able to help you. > > -Richard > > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mary > Sent: ...

Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET #3
The disadvantages of using SQL delete are (1) NOBS= is no longer accurate, and (2) POINT= may behave unexpectedly. If those are not issues, then the delete would be faster, with or without an index, than recreating the data set (especially if the data set has indexes that would need to be rebuilt). -- Jack Hamilton jfh@alumni.stanford.org On Aug 15, 2008, at 11:17 am, Mary wrote: > One thing you might do is to add an index on the snap_dt to the > dataset; if that's there then you should be able to delete the > records in place: > > proc sql; > delete from prod.master_date; > where snap_dt = "&end_dt"d; > quit; > run; > > In both the ways you are trying now you are creating new data sets > rather than deleting records from the current data set; it would > seem to me that a SQL delete statement would be faster than creating > new datasets even if there isn't an index on the date. > > -Mary > ----- Original Message ----- > From: SUBSCRIBE SAS-L Chandra Gadde > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 12:14 PM > Subject: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET > > > Hi All > > I have several SAS datasets that are very very big. (50GB of size). > Every > month, the data is being appended to these datasets. I need to > deleted the > data which is greater than 24 months. What is the best method to do > this? > Please help me. > ...

Re: Running a SAS program within a SAS program #3
Kathleen, You can use %INCLUDE in a SAS program to call other SAS programs. Jack Clark Research Analyst Center for Health Program Development and Management University of Maryland, Baltimore County -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Kathleen Santos Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 12:55 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Running a SAS program within a SAS program Hello, I would like to combine multi years of data into one. Each year has a particular data set and a particular program to create a SAS dataset. However, not all programs are the same (e.g. variable names may change throughout the years). What I would like to do is to create one program that would call on the other programs to create SAS datasets. Then I'll integrate them together and do whatever I it is I need to do. I hope someone can help me. Thanks. Kathleen ...

Re: old SAS guy with new SAS question #3
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:33:21 -0800, Daniel Nordlund <djnordlund@VERIZON.NET> wrote: >> -----Original Message----- >> From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On >> Behalf Of John F. Regus >> Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:19 PM >> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >> Subject: old SAS guy with new SAS question >> >> You three were of the most help to an old man in simplifying >> how to get output from my PC file into a SAS dataset. >> However, when I did use the INPUT statement I coded INPUT $. >> thinking this would put everything into its natural place in >> the output SAS table. Wrong. It only got the first variable >> of 5 characters. >> >> I went through my "Little SAS Book" trying to find the answer >> to this but the "Little SAS Book" has an appropriate >> title...it is little and does not cover a lot of things. >> SAS help and documentation takes you over the hills and >> through the woods without getting to the point or even a >> concise answer. >> >> Here is my problem. >> >> I am reading a .csv PC flat file (I conquered the problem of >> reading the PC file into a SAS dataset by adding the INPUT >> statement...only not all the data goes through because I need >> to use columnar input instead of list input). >> >> The layout of the .csv PC flat file is so...

Re: SAS-Related Friday Gift For All SAS-Lers #3
Correction, the Book address for your Browser (as opposed to an FTP tool) is http://www.warpraptor.com/x/ On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Joe Whitehurst <joewhitehurst@gmail.com>wrote: > One more tip about the Book: *Seafood, Pictures, Facts, and Nutrition > Information; you don't have to download the whole book to browse its > pages. Just point your Browser at: www.warpraptor.com and navigate to * > *AtlantaFishMarketBookTable_Of_Contents.pdf. Open this document and use > the Table of Contents found there (starting on page 3) to access all the > sections by c...

Re: SAS Parallel processing #4
prsana@GMAIL.COM wrote: > >Hi, > >I am relatively new to SAS parallel processing scene and trying to >work on the following piece of code using SAS 9 on a PC. The remote >server has 4 processors and this is a UNIX based server. On my PC >windows based SAS, I execute the following code after connecting to >the remote server. > >options autosignon=yes ; >rsubmit; /* Begin simulation */ >options symbolgen ls=96; >options sascmd='!sascmd -nosyntaxcheck' autosignon=yes >cpucount=ACTUAL; > >%macro StatsModel(startLoop=, endLoop=, inputfn=,nsims=); >filename params "/data/&inputfn"; > >data parameters; > infile params delimiter = ',' firstobs=2; > input runid nsims freq $ type $; > call symput('max',_N_); >run; > >%if &max < &endLoop %then %let endLoop = &max; > >%let seed1 = 0; %let seed2 = -1; > >%do j = &startLoop %to &endLoop; /* Iteration for the j-th run_id */ > options sascmd='!sascmd -nosyntaxcheck' autosignon=yes; > %syslput j = &j; > rsubmit task&j cwait=no; > > libname dir "/data/ParallelProcess"; > %include "/sascode/Simulate.sas"; > %include "/sascode/Outputs.sas"; > >data parameters; > infile params delimiter = ',' firstobs=%eval(&j +1) >obs=%eval(&j+1); > input runid ns...

Re: SAS AF application is not supported in SAS EG? #3
Then you might not know what fun you're missing :)) On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Savian <savian.net@gmail.com> wrote: > On Oct 28, 11:41 am, UKR <nlk...@gmail.com> wrote: > > Thank you for your comments. > > I will investigate Silverlight and oleDB technologies as well as costs > > associated with keeping single SAS PC license. > > In any case how SAS Institute could abandon AF so easily, if favor to > > which kind of technology? What solutions does SAS Institute provide to > > support GUI programs on windows server? Does anybody ha...

Re: SAS-L Panel / SAS-L Archives #3
I think, actually, this is one of the great strengths of mailing lists; SAS-L in particular: Mistakes don't survive. If you ask an "expert", he or she may get it wrong. Everyone makes mistakes (except Ian :-). People can also misunderstand questions. But, if you post a question here, and someone posts a wrong response, or if a question is confusing, things get straightened out, usually quickly. Peter >>> "David L. Cassell" <cassell.david@EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV> 12/23/2003 4:29:34 PM >>> Jack Hamilton <JackHamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM> replied:...

Re: RE : Re: copulas and SAS #3 674067
joewhitehurst@GMAIL.COM replied: > >Adel, > >You may find the following artilce interesting. [article by Thomas Mikosch not copied] This is a really good article, and a really useful point to make. But 55K is a lot of article to copy. Would it have been easier to point to a URL? The people who read SAS-L as a digest and the people who have slow connections are probably not overly thrilled. I'll refrain from pointing out that you sound like me today. ("Are you sure you want to do this? Here's some material which suggests you should try a different approach..."...

Re: SAS viewer (WAS: Rant: I really hate the SAS pricing #3
Once someone has a chance to actually use this, it would be great if you could give us all an update on the experience. 1) Is it compact? 2) Is it low on requiring non-standard computer updates? (e.g.- JRE x.x.xand .NET x.x etc.) 3) How efficient and functional is it? Thanks! Stephen On 3/20/08, Mike Rhoads <RHOADSM1@westat.com> wrote: > > John, > > I believe the former (i.e. still a no-charge standalone that can be used > by those without SAS installed). > > Mike Rhoads > Westat > RhoadsM1@Westat.com > > -----Original Message----- > From: Gerstle, John (CDC/CCID/NCHHSTP) (CTR) [mailto:yzg9@CDC.GOV] > Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:43 PM > To: Mike Rhoads; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: RE: SAS viewer (WAS: Rant: I really hate the SAS pricing > structure) > > > Mike, > 2 questions: > 1) Will the new SAS Viewer still be a free download, and/or > 2) Will it be part of the v9.2 Foundation install (instead of installing > it separately)? > > I'm always using the SAS Viewer and happy to hear it's getting an > update. > > John Gerstle > MS Applied Neuroscience, MS Applied Statistics > Biostatistician > Northrop Grumman > CDC Information Technological Support Contract (CITS) > NCHSTP \DHAP \HICSB \Research and Dissemination Team > Centers for Disease Control and Prevention > Phone: 404-639-3980 > Fax: 404-639-2980 > yzg9 at cdc dot gov > > >&...

Re: Can a SAS program call another SAS program #3
Dear SAS-L-ers, David Fickbohm posted the following: > I am writing a report that counts the number of widgets produced by > partners. I have a small routine that finds the partners id > number and > name. Obviously I could copy this code into my program and > execute it. I was wondering if there was a more elegant way > of "Calling" a SAS program > from within a SAS program. I am running SAS 8.1 in windows. > David, there sure is a more elegant way; and a simple one at that! Simply use the %INCLUDE statement. The %INCLUDE statement allows you to in...

Re: combine n SAS datasets in to one SAS dataset. #3
Here's another option using julian dates: %macro julday(year); %do i=1 %to 365; data _null_; day=datejul(&year*1000+&i); date=put(day,yymmddn8.); call symput("yymmdd",date); put day= date=; run; %put yymmdd=&yymmdd; proc append base=file_history new=file&yymmdd.;run; %end; %mend; %julday(2007); At 11:44 AM 1/18/2008, Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org> wrote: >On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:06:01 -0800, stulkem@YAHOO.COM wrote: > > >Thanks for your help in advance! > > > >I have hundreds of SAS datasets that I want to combine into one SAS > >dataset. > > > >For example, I want to set file20070101.sas7bdat - > >file20071231.sas7bdat (365 total files) into > >file_history.sas7bdat. > > > >How can I write this into a macro or array or whatever will work so I > >don't have to write each individual file name?? > > > >Thanks again! > > > >Mark > >You must provide some rule or process which SAS can use to discover the >names of the data sets to be processed. > >Here is how I might deal with the example (one file for each day of a >calendar year): > > data _null_; > call execute('proc datasets library=mylib nolist;'); > call execute('delete file_history;'); > call execute('run;'); > do day = '01jan2007'd to '31dec2007'd; > call execute('ap...

Re: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 #3
Hi to all, I have enjoyed a great deal with you guys. Thanks for all the fun. Regards, Murphy On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Arthur Tabachneck <art297@netscape.net>wrote: > My congratulations to DataNull and Joe, as well, both extremely well > deserved. > > And, if you had as much trouble as I did in trying to click on Mike's link > to the analyses, hopefully the following will work better: > > http://www.sascommunity.org/mwiki/images/3/3c/SGF_2009_SAS-L_Stats.ppt > > Art > > p.s. Many, many thanks to Ron Fehd and Art Carpenter for showing me how to > post such links to the wiki. > -------- > On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:42:25 -0700, Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) > <NordlDJ@DSHS.WA.GOV> wrote: > > >Congratulations to data _null_ (Hall of Fame) and Joe Matisse (SASLROY) -- > well deserved. > > > >Dan > > > >Daniel J. Nordlund > >Washington State Department of Social and Health Services > >Planning, Performance, and Accountability > >Research and Data Analysis Division > >Olympia, WA 98504-5204 > > > > > >> -----Original Message----- > >> From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > >> Mike Rhoads > >> Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:55 PM > >> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > >> Subject: SAS-L BOF at SAS Global Forum 2009 > >> > >> In short, a good time w...

Re: Running sas code on mainframe through SAS-UNIX #3 672823

Web resources about - Re: SAS Parallel processing #3 1565310 - comp.soft-sys.sas

Central processing unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
) is the hardware within a computer system which carries out the instructions of a computer program by performing the basic arithmetical, logical, ...

Conexant Announces New Audio Processing Solutions At CES
At CES, Conexant gave me a demo of some of the audio processing technology that they've been working on. Conexant is a company that probably ...

THE PAYMENTS ECOSYSTEM: Everything you need to know about the next era of payment processing
The way we pay has changed dramatically. People are using their smartphones for every kind of formal and informal transaction — to shop at stores, ...

Audi turns to Qualcomm power for entertainment, navigation processing
Qualcomm proves its chip-making innovation, announcing a deal at CES where Audi will use its first automotive quality infotainment chipset, the ...

USDA Investigating Possible Plastic Sabotage At Poultry Processing Plant
While it’s not uncommon to hear about chicken products that end up containing wayward bits of plastic (like this nugget issue , this sausage ...

Feds Stop Processing NICS Denial Appeals
Obama Administration Enacts More Gun Control By Misusing FBI Background Check System

This just in: Marco Rubio's substance is thinner than an Intel processing chip
In case you hadn't already guessed it, Marco Rubio's got a smile and a stump speech, but that's about it. Reporters who have followed him from ...

Food Processing: It's What Makes Us Human
Turning raw ingredients into something more has played an important role in our evolution.

Nvidia Ramps Up Processing Power for Self-Driving Cars
With its new Drive PX 2 platform, the GPU maker is offering a computer that can deliver up to 8 teraflops of computing power to autonomous vehicles. ...

Keeping Up With the Millennials in Spousal Immigration Processing
“Selfie stick. Snap. Upload to Facebook. 52 likes in a matter of minutes. These likes include people from all over the world who simply have ...