From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Don
Henderson
Sent: Tuesday, 19 December 2006 8:54 AM
To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: SAS/Server Question #2: Outputting server results to Excel
via DDE on my PC

Not sure how to do this in one step in EG or even if it can be done. But
think that you can export a SAS table from EG to Excel. So just drag the
table to the EG diagram and export it.

An alternative if you have either SAS/IntrNet or the Stored Process
Server
Web Integration Kit is to write a program that runs on the server
(either
via the SAS/IntrNet Application Dispatcher or the Process Server) and
writes
CSV content to _webout with a content-type header for XLS. You would
then
access this via your browser instead of EG.

HTH,
-don h

PC
> - just Enterprise Guide.
>
> Thanks!

********************DISCLAIMER**********************
The information contained in the above e-mail message or messages (which includes any attachments) is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee any form of disclosure, copying, modification, distribution or any action taken or omitted in reliance on the information is unauthorised. Opinions contained in the message(s) do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Queensland Government and its authorities. If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your computer system network.

Re: SAS/Server Question #2: Outputting server results to Excel
Not sure how to do this in one step in EG or even if it can be done. But I think that you can export a SAS table from EG to Excel. So just drag the table to the EG diagram and export it. An alternative if you have either SAS/IntrNet or the Stored Process Server Web Integration Kit is to write a program that runs on the server (either via the SAS/IntrNet Application Dispatcher or the Process Server) and writes CSV content to _webout with a content-type header for XLS. You would then access this via your browser instead of EG. HTH, -don h > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > biyectivo > Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 12:13 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: SAS/Server Question #2: Outputting server results to Excel via > DDE on my PC > > Hi all, > > I am using SAS/Enterprise Guide 4 in PC (without Base SAS) along with > SAS/Server in a Sun machine (remote). > > The server obviously does not have Excel installed. > > What I need to do is, after my process X has finished running, output > results to Excel using DDE (or some other form of automatic/coded > output) ON MY PC. > > For example, I want to create a code that merges two tables on the > server using a PROC SQL code and then the results be exported > automatically to a new Excel workbook on my PC. > > Remember, the server does not have Excel and I do not have SAS on my PC >...

SAS/Server Question #2: Outputting server results to Excel via DDE on my PC
Hi all, I am using SAS/Enterprise Guide 4 in PC (without Base SAS) along with SAS/Server in a Sun machine (remote). The server obviously does not have Excel installed. What I need to do is, after my process X has finished running, output results to Excel using DDE (or some other form of automatic/coded output) ON MY PC. For example, I want to create a code that merges two tables on the server using a PROC SQL code and then the results be exported automatically to a new Excel workbook on my PC. Remember, the server does not have Excel and I do not have SAS on my PC - just Enterprise Guide. Thanks! Not sure how to do this in one step in EG or even if it can be done. But I think that you can export a SAS table from EG to Excel. So just drag the table to the EG diagram and export it. An alternative if you have either SAS/IntrNet or the Stored Process Server Web Integration Kit is to write a program that runs on the server (either via the SAS/IntrNet Application Dispatcher or the Process Server) and writes CSV content to _webout with a content-type header for XLS. You would then access this via your browser instead of EG. HTH, -don h > -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of > biyectivo > Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 12:13 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: SAS/Server Question #2: Outputting server results to Excel via > DDE on my PC > > Hi all, > > I am using SAS/Enter...

SAS server and SAS installation on a server #2
Hi all, I just need to know what is the difference between SAS server and SAS installed on a server (windows). Is that, SAS installation for Desktop different from SAS installation on server? And if different then in what way. I have SAS installed on the server and that is being used by 4 people. Are these all profiles the same or the rest three users getting a temporary profile to use. If all the four are using the same dataset then is it possible to make them available at the same time. Is it that SAS will lock it if once is already using it. I know I have put a lot questions in one query ...

Re: SAS v9.2 Win Server x64 #2
So what kind of hardware are you running on? How is performance of Win 64 bit environment vs. a 32 bit (i.e. Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition)? Philip Rack MineQuest, LLC SAS & WPS Consulting and Software Development Tel: (614) 457-3714 Web: www.MineQuest.com Blog: www.MineQuest.com/WordPress -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI) Sent: 07/30/2008 9:51 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS v9.2 Win Server x64 Here are some new Sys macro variables available on Win server 47 %Put &InfoPrefix. Host =%sysget(computername); PASS-INFO Host =WMT13-CTX-X64 48 %Put &InfoPrefix. DateTime =%substr(&SysProcessId.,1,16); PASS-INFO DateTime =41D6D80A71A8F5C3 49 %Put &InfoPrefix. WorkId =%substr(%scan(%sysfunc(getoption(Work)) 50 ,-1,\) ,4); PASS-INFO WorkId =4404 51 %Put &InfoPrefix. UserId =%upcase(&SysUserId.); 52 %Put &InfoPrefix. UserNmbr =%substr(&SysProcessId.,17,5);%*99,999; PASS-INFO UserNmbr =40180 PASS-INFO SysScp =WIN PASS-INFO SysScpL =X64_SRV PASS-INFO SysVlong =9.02.01M0P020508 68 %Put _automatic_; AUTOMATIC SYSERRORTEXT 6-2: Physical file does not exist, !SASlogs\rtrace\41D6D80A86B5F3B6-rjf2.log. AUTOMATIC SYSHOSTNAME wmt13-ctx-x64 see Host from Win e-var computername above AUTOMATIC SYSJOBID 4404 AUTOMATIC SYSODSPATH SASUSER.TEMPLAT(UPDATE) SASHELP....

Re: Email into SAS server and starting a SAS job. Possible? #2
on 3/16/2006 12:21 PM David L Cassell said the following: > Alistair.Gordon@NEWTYNE.COM wrote: >> Is this possible? >> >> We have a SAS BI Enterprise and a big UNIX server. Is it possible for >> someone to email into the server and attach a CSV file say, and upon >> receipt of the file the server goes 'Ah ha!' and kicks off a SAS job >> that rips out the attached file and does something or other with it? >> >> What needs to be done? > > Yes, this is possible. Although I agree with Mike and Alan that other > approaches may b...

Re: SAS server and SAS installation on a server
On Tue, 22 May 2007 02:35:42 -0700, nichas <sachin.gadkar@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >Hi all, > >I just need to know what is the difference between SAS server and SAS >installed on a server (windows). >Is that, SAS installation for Desktop different from SAS installation >on server? And if different then in what way. >I have SAS installed on the server and that is being used by 4 people. >Are these all profiles the same or the rest three users getting a >temporary profile to use. >If all the four are using the same dataset then is it possible to make >them available at the same time. Is it that SAS will lock it if once >is already using it. > >I know I have put a lot questions in one query but I think they are >related. >Thank you very much. >nichas. I'll try it. With "SAS server" I assume you mean a SAS/SHARE-server. That is a thing which is different from a "SAS installation on a server". It is something what you can use to get your last question resolved: the concurrent usage of SAS libraries and datasets. A SHARE server handles that. Without SAS/SHARE a dataset is locked while someone is using it. With SAS/SHARE you have something like "record-locking". If you have a installation on a server, it is not essentially different from a local installation. The difference is in the way you provide writable disk-space to the users. In SAS you need at least two of that, SASUSER and WORK. That shou...

Re: suggest: improve SAS Deployment Wizard for SAS v9.2, phase 2 #2
> From: A Little Birdie > > I just searched the SAS-L archives (should have done that > first) and found references to these two pages: > > http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Category:V9.2_Phase_2 > > http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/V9.2_Phase_2_install_guide > > Have you seen this page? > ***************************************************** > http://support.sas.com/kb/35/631.html <---<<< NICE! ***************************************************** > It looks like it addresses your needs, and might be something > nice to add to the SASCo...

Re: Questions about SAS Enterprise BI Server/Enterprise Guide #2
Hi Howard, In-fact EBI suit includes almost all the products required for BI. EG is a thin client where you can connect to BI server and execute the programs. In EBI server user need not write to any code but it would be good if the user already a sas programmer. Since always GUI menus will not cater all the options provided/ supported by the system. You may want to do something else rather than simply using the default options provided by system. For instance applying a user defined format for the months in year in the cube to avoid the display in ascending order like April, august.... rather than displaying from January .Here the past experience in base sas defiantly useful and also needed. The obstacles to implement EBI include installation and maintenance which will be taken care by IT department. No worries! Web Reporting Studio is the good product where you don't need to install anything in your machine. You can simply access the web tair products with out any installation. This is really good! You can definitely use your programming skills in EBI server solution. I believe many clients are already using EBI Solutions and this is the right option for career also. HTH Sai Kumar DWBI-SAS HCL Technologies | www.hcl.in +91-9884702249 -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Howard Alper Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 11:07 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Questions about SAS Enterprise BI Server/Ent...

Re: Win server config (was Re: recommendations for SAS PC #2
On 9/21/05, Pardee, Roy <pardee.r@ghc.org> wrote: > But those buffers are going to belong to the sas process that allocates > them, aren't they? Meaning that, when that process (sas job) > terminates, the memory will be freed. Otherwise that'd be a memory leak > I think... > > I'm talking batch mode here--sorry for not specifying that earlier. Roy, You have 3 'batch' jobs, designed to run serially, each accessing (READONLY), say, SAS dataset 'yyy' in library 'xxx'? If so, I dunno why you couldn't get mileage out of a 'driv...

Re: SAS 9.2 Phase 2 #2
That is correct -- Phase 2 updates the "Foundation" products (Base SAS, SAS= /GRAPH, etc.), and also I believe is the first release for BI and some othe= r server-based products like that. (We don't license these, so I haven't lo= oked into this in detail.) My understanding is also that the "foundation" p= roducts must be completely reinstalled going from Phase 1 to Phase 2. If your bug is in the Problem Notes, you might be able to check there to se= e whether it is corrected in Phase 2. Mike Rhoads RhoadsM1@Westat.com -----Original Message----- From: D T [mailto:sasandstats@live.com] Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:33 AM To: Mike Rhoads; sas-l@listserv.uga.edu Subject: RE: [SAS-L] SAS 9.2 Phase 2 Is SAS 9.2 phase 2 the update to the first version of 9.2? I am waiting for= the update since there is supposed to be a correction to a bug within the = survey procedures ... can you confirm this? Also, if that's correct, how do= you get it? I couldn't find an announcement on the SAS website ... Thanks! D. > Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:23:27 -0400 > From: RHOADSM1@WESTAT.COM > Subject: Re: [SAS-L] SAS 9.2 Phase 2 > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > > It is now shipping, at least in the U.S. as of last week, or so I've been= told from reliable sources. (I'm a little surprised they didn't make a big= ger deal of it at the conference.) > > I don't know about abroad. I've heard that new releases can be...

Re: How to Spec a SAS Server #2
John, I've got some old technology but it does a reasonable job. The server we're running at FAA is a 4 year old Gateway with twin 600MHz processors with 1GB ram, running WINNT. The files I'm dealing with are on the order of 7 - 9 GB with indexes of 2-3 GB. Depending on what needs to be done, I can run through any given file, say a rudimentary proc means in about 15-20 minutes. I also have a DELL (2002 technology) twin 2GHz WIN2K box at home with 784MB ram; this box'll do the same thing in about 5 minutes. Richard Graham Vice President Glencairn Consulting Group, Inc. -...

Re: STARTING SAS servers #2
The install/set-up of these on Windows should install the services with the dependencies that Bob describes. In fact, I think that it is the object spawner that is used to start both the workspace server and the stored process server. I don't believe that either of those are started as services. I believe that they are started by the object spawner when needed. HTH, -don h -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Duell, Bob Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 3:48 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: STARTING SAS servers No. Always start the Metadata Server first and stop it last. The order of the others does not matter, but they all depend on the Metadata server being up and running. In fact, your startup script should momentarily delay starting the other servers to give the Metadata server a chance to start up completely. -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Raj Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 8:54 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: STARTING SAS servers What is the order to start the sas servers if all are installed on one machine running on win2003. Is the following order correct? Thanks!! SAS worksapce server object spawner metadata server stored process server. Thanks Guys. You are right Don. Looks like only Metadata Server and Object Spawner are listed as services and ObjSpawner starts workspace server and stored process server. Do you kn...

Re: How to trun off the RESULT window in SAS 9.2 #2
Akshaya, Thanks! If i remember correctly, with ODS noresults, we should be able to disable the result window without changing anything. Corret me if i am wrong. Thanks! Yu On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Akshaya Nathilvar < akshaya.nathilvar@gmail.com> wrote: > > Go to Tools => Options => Preferences. On the Results tab, uncheck the > option, "View results as they are generated". > AkshayA! > > On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Yu Zhang <zhangyu05@gmail.com> wrote: > >> Hi, All, >> >> we have a production code written in SAS9.1 and with ODS NORESULTS >> statement >> we are able to turn off the RESULT window, which is a pop-up ask you if >> what >> you are going to do with the created file. >> >> However, when code runs on SAS9.2, the options seems to no effect any >> more. >> we are seeing the window regardless the settings. >> >> Does anyone know how to fix? >> >> ODS RTF file='c:\test.rtf'; >> >> ods noresults; >> >> proc print data=sashelp.class ; >> run; >> >> ods RTF close; >> >> Thanks! >> >> Yu >> > > ...

Re: old SAS guy with new SAS question #2
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 21:18:36 -0600, John F. Regus <jfregus@IX.NETCOM.COM> wrote: >You three were of the most help to an old man in simplifying how to get output from my PC file into a SAS dataset. However, when I did use the INPUT statement I coded INPUT $. thinking this would put everything into its natural place in the output SAS table. Wrong. It only got the first variable of 5 characters. > >I went through my "Little SAS Book" trying to find the answer to this but the "Little SAS Book" has an appropriate title...it is little and does not cover a lot of things. SAS help and documentation takes you over the hills and through the woods without getting to the point or even a concise answer. > >Here is my problem. > >I am reading a .csv PC flat file (I conquered the problem of reading the PC file into a SAS dataset by adding the INPUT statement...only not all the data goes through because I need to use columnar input instead of list input). > >The layout of the .csv PC flat file is somewhat like this, with the variable lengths inside each table entry looks something like this: > > VAR1 VAR2 VAR3 VAR4 VAR5 etc.,etc. > >Row1 5$ 1$ 1$ 8$ 6$ > >Row2 5$ 2$ 1$ 18$ 6$ > >Row3 5$ 4$ 1$ 10$ 6$ > >Row4 5$ 4$ 1$ 6$ ...

Re: Question Concerning Join of 2 SAS datasets #2
Sounds like you are trying to describe a cartesian join; the default join of SQL Borrowing Joe's test data: proc sql; create table want as select * from a, b; quit; 2009/2/13 Brian C. Newquist <bcn42d@mizzou.edu>: > Suppose I have two SAS datasets, set A contains 5 variables having 3000 > unique records and set B contains just 1 variable having 500 unique > records (just a bunch of ID numbers). Suppose I would like to create a > new dataset where each of the records from set A would be duplicated so > that the first record would be repeated 500 times where each of those > would be paired with a unique ID from set B. The goal is to have the new > dataset with 6 variables (the five from A and the one from B) containing a > total of 1,500,000 records produced in this way. > > Any help or suggestions you can provide is greatly appreciated. > > Thanks, > > Brian > ...

Re: RX PARSE question (SAS 9.2) #2
> -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On > Behalf Of Ken Borowiak > Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:22 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: Re: RX PARSE question (SAS 9.2) > > On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:52:24 -0800, Ezra Barzilay > <ezra.barzilay@GMAIL.COM> > wrote: > > >New to REGEX and ignorant of PERL syntax (and thus PRX Functions), I > >am (slowly) learning how to use the RX Functions that SAS provides. > > <<<snip>>> > > I bet if you post a PRX question you are much more likely to > get some help. > If you post an RX question, only Chang will answer, which is > why he resides > in the Smithsonian. > > Regards, > Ken Borowiak > And yet, you answered. :-) Dan Daniel J. Nordlund Washington State Department of Social and Health Services Planning, Performance, and Accountability Research and Data Analysis Division Olympia, WA 98504-5204 ...

Re: suggest: improve SAS Deployment Wizard for SAS v9.2, phase 2
Subject: Re: v9.2 phase 2, page update "Make the installation of SAS BI Server easier!" .... Ok w/me! Just remember that the majority of us are still just installing only SAS Foundation v9.2, and possibly Enterprise Guide v4.2 My rant/suggestion to Tech Support has been addressed. I have added notes about my conversation with Tech Support to this sas community wiki page: http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/V9.2_Phase_2_install_guide summary: if you have Build # greater than or equal to 28 then you can dispense with ForceInstall. Ronald J. Fehd, IT Spec HelpDesk Level 3: SAS CDC S...

Re: SAS to Sql server conection #2
Hi Raghur,=0A=0AYou can load sas data table into Sql Server=0Awith a data s= tep.=0A=0AYou can add rows to a Sql Server table=0Awith proc append:=0A=0Ap= roc append base=3Dechp.test =0A data=3Dtest; =0Arun;=0A=0A(You s= hould have bcp=3Dyes defined in libname=0Astatement to enable bulkcopy)=0A= =0Aor with proc sql:=0A=0AProc sql; =0A insert into echp.test =0A s= elect * from test; =0A quit;=0A=0AYou can update Sql Server table:=0A=0Adat= a echp.test; =0A modify echp.test test; =0A by key; =0Arun;=0A=0AAri = Toikka=0AStatistics Finland=0A=0A=0A=0A----- Original Message ----=0AFrom: = "raghur6@gmail.com" <raghur6@GMAIL.COM>=0ATo: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=0ASent= : Tuesday, 18 December, 2007 4:48:40 AM=0ASubject: SAS to Sql server conect= ion=0A=0AI have connected Sql server 2005 and SAS using Libname, connection= is=0Asuccessful=0A=0AI wanted to use DBLoad to create tables in SQL Server= based on this=0Aconnection=0A=0ACould you please give me example how do i = use it, can i update alter=0Atables in Sql Server from SAS=0A=0AThanks a lo= t,=0ARaghu=0A=0A=0A __________________________________________________= _________=0ASupport the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with Yahoo= ! For Good http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/ ...

Re: SAS vs. SQL Server #2
There are well documented problems with Excel's implementation of statistical analyses, I don't know whether the same algorithmic errors have been carried over to SQL-Server. http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/spreadsheet_addiction.html I wouldn't trust that combo outside of RDBMS: the onus is on the application. The datastep is also a superior query, etl and data management tool than microsoft Jet (sql), HTH. ...

Re: Is SAS supported on a virtual server? #2
Hi Andy We currently run our test Enterprise Data Integration server on a VM. (which is Base/foundation sas plus workspace server, connect server, share server, object spawner and olap server). Does it work? Yes Does SAS support it in a production environment? Not at this time for production (was the response we got). Cheers Dave -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Alan Churchill Sent: Wednesday, 5 December 2007 7:07 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Is SAS supported on a virtual server? I have used SAS successfully using Microsoft Virtual Server. Now I am not running the BI stack but Base seemed to run fine. YMMV. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Andy Andrews Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 2:46 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Is SAS supported on a virtual server? Hi all, we're looking at changing over to some virtual servers (using vmwave) in the future. Will SAS run in a virtual environment (has SAS verified it'll run in a virtual environment?). If so, will SAS support the application? Thanks! ...

Re: Pass Through from SAS to SQL Server #2
Hi Doug, When you run proc setinit; run; do you have either of these? ---SAS/ACC-PC File Formats ---SAS/ACC-ODBC Mark -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Doug Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 1:36 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Pass Through from SAS to SQL Server I made several attempts at doing this but I cannot seem to make it work. Can someone with experience with the pass-through facility provide assistance? I use a desktop version of SAS 9.2. ...

Re: outputing excel formuals through sas #2
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:07:45 -0800, Dilbert <macroqueen@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >Hi All, > > Can Anyone help me to output excel formula's directly from SAS. I >cannot use 'put' statement because I need output in specific format. I >am using excelxp tagsets for creating the ods output. The formula's >are intented to link data in multple tabs. Links to any resources >about this topic will be very much helpful for me. > >Thanks > >Asok,Dilbert. formulas are among the features of the latest version of the ODS excelXP tagset, which can be downloaded from http://support.sas.com/rnd/base/topics/odsmarkup/#download There is an example at http://support.sas.com/rnd/base/topics/odsmarkup/excelxp_demo.html#formulas Good Luck Peter Crawford ...

Re: SAS and SQL Server 2005 #2
I was told by SAS support that need the connect software. http://support.sas.com/techsup/technote/ts765.pdf I have to use work arounds, Gary Peterson -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Anindya Mozumdar Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:47 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: SAS and SQL Server 2005 On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 7:13 AM, ajay ohri <ajayohri@yahoo.com> wrote: > Dear List, > > I have a SQL Server 2005 database in a Microsoft Terminal Server ( 6 logical CPU's). Can Base SAS be used to connect to it directly. > > I think I can do the data export manually to text ,download/FTP it to a desktop and read it in the Base SAS /WPS software. > > Or would it need SAS/Connect to read it directly. > > Thanks > My guess is it will not be possible to connect without a license of SAS/ACCESS for SQL Server or for ODBC (in which case you need to define a DSN and connect to it). -- Anindya Mozumdar http://www.anindyamozumdar.com ...

Re: Excel taking over SAS output #2
Hi Paula, Sometimes you can force Excel to treat the value as string by using the Excel secret first character. When you are actually working in Excel you can start the contents of a cell with a single apostrophe and it will treat it as a string value only and not display the single apostrophe. For the most part, that works fine from SAS, depending upon what you are doing. i.e. writing a flat file with "'4E1" or even loading the apostrophe on the front of strings when storing them in SAS datasets, provided these contents are going to Excel only, works by the time it arrives in Excel. Hope this is helpful. Mark Terjeson Senior Programmer Analyst, IM&R Russell Investment Group Russell Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Paula Sims Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 2:41 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Excel taking over SAS output Hello there, OK, I know Excel has a "mind" of its own and does what it thinks is right, regardless of the truth, but I could use help in figuring out how to stop what's happening to me. I'm outputting from a SAS dataset to Excel and one of the columns has values such as 4E1. Unfortunately, Excel interprets this as 4.00E+1. I've tried ODS, and the right-click export method and it still doesn't work. Is there any way to prevent this? Thanks so much. Paula ...

Web resources about - Re: SAS/Server Question #2: Outputting server results to Excel #2 - comp.soft-sys.sas

Outputting text on a paper tape machine
Back before the days of 8 inch floppy disks, storing computer programs was much more primitive than even a stack of punch cards. The earliest ...

Cablevision to simplify outputting video from your PC to your TV
A number of cable companies are trying to bring their content to the web these days in an effort to stay relevant in a world where video-streaming ...

Tricking the BeagleBone into outputting video
[FlorianH] wanted to get video out working with his BeagleBone but he just couldn’t figure out how to make the kernel play ball. Then a bit of ...