Re: Strange SAS teradata message

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have no teradata, but I have an idea, where to look. That name, you use,
is not the real name. Means: behind EM_NOHOST there is something other.
For IP-adresses in TCP/IP there is a file where that substitutions are
contained. For the big WWW that is done by DNS servers, for some local
names, you have the HOSTS file. Maybe the substitute is also something
like a IP-adress.
You should contact your sysadmin with that error message. He can tell you,
how the name is, you can use, or he enters the needed entry in the right
file, so you can use the name you are used to.
Gerhard

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:02:56 -0700, ssegall@GMAIL.COM wrote:

>All,
>Not really sure if that many people in here define Libraries in
>Teradata using SAS, but I'd figure I'd give it a shot.  May be an
>error that shows up using other more popular databases.
>
>I am using the following script that I have always used to define the
>libname statement.
>
> libname XXXXX teradata server=XXXXXXX user=XXXXXX password=XXXXXXXX
>schema=XXXXX;
>
>When I entered this I get the following error.
>
>ERROR: Teradata connection: MTDP: EM_NOHOST(224): name not in HOSTS
>file or names database.  .
>ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.
>
>I have no clue what this means.
>
>I have run the same exact script on my laptop and was able to
>sucessfully connect.  Unfortunately running SAS on my laptop isn't a
>good solution.  Any ideas what the error means or how I might resolve
>it.
>
>Thanks,
>-Steven Segall
0
Reply gerhard.hellriegel (2531) 7/10/2007 3:24:12 PM

See related articles to this posting

comp.soft-sys.sas 131462 articles. 29 followers. Post

Re: Strange SAS teradata message #3
The ideal way to deliver data from a server is usually to have the server name recorded on the network Domain Name Server so that a request against MYTERROR is translated into an ip address from the most authoritative source. For a variety of reasons, including server security, procedural limitations and delays in updating the DNS, the work-around is sometimes made that the server name is translated into an ip address in the HOSTS file on the client PC. Your alternatives are to have the server name recorded in the DNS (which may not be possible), replace the server name in your library state...

Re: Strange SAS teradata message #2
You're missing the appropriate entry from your "hosts" file. Assuming WinXP, this file will be located at: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts If you open that file in notepad on your two machines, you'll see an entry on the laptop that corresponds to the SERVER you specified in your LIBNAME; you need to paste that line into the hosts file on the workstation and save it. You need admin rights to edit that file, so you'll probably have to call IT. On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:02:56 -0700, ssegall@GMAIL.COM wrote: >All, >Not really sure if that many people in here ...

Re: Strange SAS teradata message #4
Maybe I had, but that wasn't the solution. You needed a similar line in your hosts file that referenced the server and its ip address. However, subsequent postings suggest you had a variation on the problem and that it is resolved now. Kind regards David -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of ssegall@GMAIL.COM Sent: Friday, 13 July 2007 3:19 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Strange SAS teradata message On Jul 12, 7:44 am, d...@dkvj.biz (David Johnson) wrote: > The ideal way to deliver data from a server is usually ...

Strange SAS teradata message
All, Not really sure if that many people in here define Libraries in Teradata using SAS, but I'd figure I'd give it a shot. May be an error that shows up using other more popular databases. I am using the following script that I have always used to define the libname statement. libname XXXXX teradata server=XXXXXXX user=XXXXXX password=XXXXXXXX schema=XXXXX; When I entered this I get the following error. ERROR: Teradata connection: MTDP: EM_NOHOST(224): name not in HOSTS file or names database. . ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement. I have no clue what this means. I have run...

Re: Error message from SAS. Re: Transpose columns to rows in SAS?
Wei , That is a V8 limitation not a V9 limitation. From V9.1.3 1 Data One ; 2 Array aaa (1000000) ; 3 Retain AAA: 0 ; 4 Run ; NOTE: The data set WORK.ONE has 1 observations and 1000000 variables. NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): real time 2:52.48 cpu time 2:37.24 Toby Dunn To sensible men, every day is a day of reckoning. ~John W. Gardner The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice that which we are for what we could become. ~Charles DuBois Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and i...

RE : RE : sas to teradata insertion error
Hum, yes yes yes, I remember this error....when I got the v9 (again) :-)) I'm sure it's a compatibility problem between the SAS9 and the teradata client which worked fine with the v8 but not very well with v9 (as a old post in relation to Oracle, the RDBMS client have to change when you upgrade SAS). I used insert values statement and I changed to : data SCORE_DESCRIP1; infile datalines dsd dlm='|'; input SCORE_DESC_1 $3. +1 LIB_DESC_1 : $50. ; datalines; .... ; run; proc sql; connect to teradata (user ="&__user3" password="&__pass3" schema="...

Re: What does the SAS message mean?
Xu, In my experience, this means t\tou have more than one SAS session running at the same time. The first one locks the registry and the second puts out this warning message, usually at startup time. Look at thhe very beginning of you session log. It could also be due to some other process on your system locking the registry, but this less likely. In most cases, you can ignore the message although I am not familiar with SurveySelect. HTH, Dennis Diskin On 10/17/05, Xu Libin <Libin.Xu@irs.gov> wrote: > > Dear SAS-lers, > > When I ran the following syntax: > proc surveyme...

Re: Strange SAS behavior!
Duck-Hye Yang <dyang@CHAPINHALL.ORG> wrote: > These days I noticed one weird thing. > Even though I specified a variable name to be analyzed (for example, > for proc univariate), I found that the VERY FIRST variable in the order > in a data was used. > > Have any of you experienced this kind of thing ? This would be a strange SAS behavior. Perhaps you should write back (to the list, not to me personally) and demonstrate some simple SAS code, with log and output, demonstrating this behavior, so that we can see what is actually happening. Make the SAS code as short as ...

Re: strange error message
> From: Jonathan Woodring > I get this message now when I run a program today that has > been running bug free for months: > > ERROR: A lock is not available for > EXPORTS.KPCUSTOMERSQL.DATA, lock held by another process this is the result of two sessions or jobs trying to read/write/access a dataset, KPCUSTOMERSQL, in the same libref. be patient or kill the first job/session Ron Fehd the batch maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov ...

Re: Macro with Teradata and SAS
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:50:43 -0400, Nicole Scott <nicole.d.scott@WELLSFARGO.COM> wrote: >I am trying to pass dates using SAS macros with Teradata sql but can't get >teradata to recoginze the values as numeric. > >Can someone help me figure out how to do this? I have included my code and >error message. > >Just to note that I tried single and double quotes but still get an error >message. Teradata sees the values as a colunm with double quotes and a >character string with single quotes. > >Thanks >%Macro Cohort(begdt,enddt,syyyymm,eyyyymm,emmyy);...

Re: Strange email messages...
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:28:33 -0400, Five Cats wrote: Those come from email gateway subscribers that have set up a "while I'm out" message without the sensitivity to shutdown their subscription or filter the list out of the auto-responder. Art S. Kagel > Every time I post here, I get a number of strange email messages to the > reply-to address from people telling me they are out... > > WHY? > > I really don't care that people I have never heard of and wouldn't know from > Adam are out of the office. Why on earth are they doing it? ...

Re: SAS/Access for Teradata
On what platform are you using SAS? What version of the Teradata Utilities have you installed? I remember we had to upgrade to TTU 8.2 on our UNIX server when our warehouse moved to V2R6. In particular, we had to install the utilities using all the defaults (i.e. install to /usr). Can you connect to Teradata outside of SAS (using BTEQ)? Perhaps it's a network problem. Assuming you are on UNIX, make sure these environment variables are defined: FEXPLIB=/usr/bin; export FEXPLIB MLOADLIB=/usr/bin; export MLOADLIB FLOADLIB=/usr/bin; export FLOADLIB COPLIB=/usr/lib; export COPLIB COPERR=...

RE: Strange error message
Call Tech Support Upgrade to 9.4 or 10.0 (9.21 is very old) -> -----Original Message----- -> From: svs [mailto:sshumilov@gmail.com] -> Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 11:17 AM -> To: informix-list@iiug.org -> Subject: Strange error message ->=20 ->=20 -> Hi everyone!!! ->=20 -> lately I got this.... -> Assert Failed: Memory block header corruption detected in -> mt_shm_malloc_segid 2 -> Informix Dynamic Server 2000 Version 9.21.TC5 -> .... -> Results: Unable to repair pool -> Action: Please notify Informix Technical Support. ...

Re: SAS Error Message
bruce.b.allen@WELLSFARGO.COM wrote: >Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:13:04 -0500 > >Has anyone ever seen the below error? It's a crazy Segmentation Fault >error that I get in the log when trying to execute a shell script from >SAS. The actual log is at the bottom. We can't seem to figure it out. >I'm running SAS for windows version 9. > >I am getting the error when I run the following code: > > > >x '/users/apps/ssg1/data_archive/green_net/run_ftp.sh'; > > > >REMOTE(WFSAS): MetaReady > >REMOTE(WFSAS): /users/apps/ssg1/data_...

Re: SAS/Access for Teradata #4
Thanks Bob for your message. While we are not using UNIX, your reply prompted me to go back and request that our server support person use BTEQ, had to be installed, to test connection and not the software that was initially used. (Turns out the previous test was using OBDC not native teradata drivers) Short anwswer to long story.. BTEQ failed. While the answer was truly a teradata issue (not SAS) I'm posting the solution so that others may learn and not get trapped in the middle (SAS versus teradata). Solution: This problem is being addressed by DR 103605. No code fix is currently av...

Re: SAS/Access for Teradata #3
On Thu, 29 May 2008 16:51:34 -0400, Linda Pavlish <lap7858@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >We have recently upgraded to Teradata V2R6 and no longer am able to use the >SAS/Access for Teradata drivers. (SAS 9.1.3 SP4). Basically, when you >issue the libname statement > libname xxxx Teradata tpdid = xxx schema = xxxx user=xxxx > password= xxxx; > >the SAS session will hang. (It continues to clock until we kill the >session). We have had this tracked with Tech support for over a month with >no useful solution yet so I'm desparately hoping someone else...

Re: SAS/Access for Teradata #2
Sorry I left off the Other relevant information Windows platform I believe we are using TTU8.0 We have tested drivers outside of SAS and they appear to be working - at least that is what I am told. (I'm not the server person, only the designated SAS person so I am kind of in the middle, plus neither of us are Teradata sysadmin which adds an additional layer of complexity) I am definitely going to go back and see if I can verify this myself (seeing is believing as the theory goes) We have also defined the appropriate tdpid names in our Hosts file although we are configured so we...

Re: pc sas strange behavior?
Hi, Check for comments started with "/*" but not closed with "*/". Also check for missing %MEND; for macro definitions. Regards ++ Guido On 12/10/06, hba2pd <hba2pd@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I can run a SAS program only once after I started SAS. After that, it > does not run at all (the log file only copies the original sas codes > and nothing else. I can run it again after I quit SAS and restart. What > is going on? > > Best, > Guido T wrote: > Hi, > > Check for comments started with "/*" but not closed with &q...

Re: Macro with Teradata and SAS #4
Nicole Scott said: > I am trying to pass dates using SAS macros with Teradata sql but can't get > teradata to recoginze the values as numeric. > > Teradata prepare: A character string failed conversion to a numeric value. > SQL statement was: select a.pcode,a.open_dt, case when (d.off_dt between > 2005-09-01 and 2005-12-31) then 1 else 0 end "off", case when (d.on_dt > between 2005-09-01 and 2005-12-31) then 1 else 0 end "on". Teradata wants to see human-readable dates enclosed in single quotes, same here as with queries you run from SQL Assistant ...

Re: Strange SAS behavior! #4
Gee Duckhye - How about posting the problem with a data step w/cards statement and your proc univariate, so SAS-L can have a crack at it? It sounds to me like a conceptual confusion of class and analysis variables, but I really don't know! Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160 -----Original Message----- From: Duck-Hye Yang [mailto:dyang@chapinhall.org] Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 4:04 PM To: pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: Strange SAS behavior! When I checked the data, it is just numeric, but each record has different decimal places E.g., 13.225, 0.2457...

Re: how to remove an automated sas message ?
try to use a empty title statement to overwrite the default title: title; proc print.... ; run; Always a good idea, also to remove titles from other reports. Gerhard On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 01:28:16 -0800, Ravindra M <ravinsun@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >hi all, > > I have a small problem can any one help me out ? > Whenever i schedule a job and generate a report using SAS EG >i am getting an unwanted heading as SAS SYSTEM at the center of the >report and after that the report is produced. >I don't want the SAS SYSTEM heading so can anyone help me out ...

RE: Strange error message #2
9.21 has all kinds of memory issues. We hit ran into them about once a quarter. You need to upgrade to at least 9.4.=20 -----Original Message----- From: informix-list-bounces@iiug.org [mailto:informix-list-bounces@iiug.org] On Behalf Of svs Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 5:17 AM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Strange error message Hi everyone!!! lately I got this.... Assert Failed: Memory block header corruption detected in mt_shm_malloc_segid 2 Informix Dynamic Server 2000 Version 9.21.TC5 .... Results: Unable to repair pool Action: Please notify Informix Techni...

Re: SAS Error Message #2
Bruce; Why don't you call SAS Support on this one. They are very responsive. Ed Edward Heaton, Senior Systems Analyst, Westat (An Employee-Owned Research Corporation), 1650 Research Boulevard, RW-4541, Rockville, MD 20850-3195 Voice: (301) 610-4818 Fax: (301) 294-3879 mailto:EdHeaton@Westat.com http://www.Westat.com -----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu] On Behalf Of Bruce.B.Allen@wellsfargo.com Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:26 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: SAS Error Message H...

RE: Strange email messages... #2
Regarding HTML (MIME) - I cannot switch to plain text - my SPAM filter does the conversion to HTML after I've hit the send button. I have no control over that. Dirk -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Art S. Kagel Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 9:35 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Re: Strange email messages... On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:28:33 -0400, Five Cats wrote: Those come from email gateway subscribers that have set up a "while I'm out" message wit...