Re: Strange SAS teradata message

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have no teradata, but I have an idea, where to look. That name, you use,
is not the real name. Means: behind EM_NOHOST there is something other.
For IP-adresses in TCP/IP there is a file where that substitutions are
contained. For the big WWW that is done by DNS servers, for some local
names, you have the HOSTS file. Maybe the substitute is also something
like a IP-adress.
You should contact your sysadmin with that error message. He can tell you,
how the name is, you can use, or he enters the needed entry in the right
file, so you can use the name you are used to.
Gerhard

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:02:56 -0700, ssegall@GMAIL.COM wrote:

>All,
>Not really sure if that many people in here define Libraries in
>Teradata using SAS, but I'd figure I'd give it a shot.  May be an
>error that shows up using other more popular databases.
>
>I am using the following script that I have always used to define the
>libname statement.
>
> libname XXXXX teradata server=XXXXXXX user=XXXXXX password=XXXXXXXX
>schema=XXXXX;
>
>When I entered this I get the following error.
>
>ERROR: Teradata connection: MTDP: EM_NOHOST(224): name not in HOSTS
>file or names database.  .
>ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.
>
>I have no clue what this means.
>
>I have run the same exact script on my laptop and was able to
>sucessfully connect.  Unfortunately running SAS on my laptop isn't a
>good solution.  Any ideas what the error means or how I might resolve
>it.
>
>Thanks,
>-Steven Segall
0
Reply gerhard.hellriegel (2531) 7/10/2007 3:24:12 PM

See related articles to this posting
comp.soft-sys.sas 130340 articles. 22 followers. Post

Re: Strange SAS teradata message #3
The ideal way to deliver data from a server is usually to have the server name recorded on the network Domain Name Server so that a request against MYTERROR is translated into an ip address from the most authoritative source. For a variety of reasons, including server security, procedural limitations and delays in updating the DNS, the work-around is sometimes made that the server name is translated into an ip address in the HOSTS file on the client PC. Your alternatives are to have the server name recorded in the DNS (which may not be possible), replace the server name in your library state...

Re: Strange SAS teradata message #2
You're missing the appropriate entry from your "hosts" file. Assuming WinXP, this file will be located at: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts If you open that file in notepad on your two machines, you'll see an entry on the laptop that corresponds to the SERVER you specified in your LIBNAME; you need to paste that line into the hosts file on the workstation and save it. You need admin rights to edit that file, so you'll probably have to call IT. On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:02:56 -0700, ssegall@GMAIL.COM wrote: >All, >Not really sure if that many people in here ...

Re: Strange SAS teradata message #4
Maybe I had, but that wasn't the solution. You needed a similar line in your hosts file that referenced the server and its ip address. However, subsequent postings suggest you had a variation on the problem and that it is resolved now. Kind regards David -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of ssegall@GMAIL.COM Sent: Friday, 13 July 2007 3:19 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Strange SAS teradata message On Jul 12, 7:44 am, d...@dkvj.biz (David Johnson) wrote: > The ideal way to deliver data from a server is usually ...

Strange SAS teradata message
All, Not really sure if that many people in here define Libraries in Teradata using SAS, but I'd figure I'd give it a shot. May be an error that shows up using other more popular databases. I am using the following script that I have always used to define the libname statement. libname XXXXX teradata server=XXXXXXX user=XXXXXX password=XXXXXXXX schema=XXXXX; When I entered this I get the following error. ERROR: Teradata connection: MTDP: EM_NOHOST(224): name not in HOSTS file or names database. . ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement. I have no clue what this means. I have run...

Re: Error message from SAS. Re: Transpose columns to rows in SAS?
Wei , That is a V8 limitation not a V9 limitation. From V9.1.3 1 Data One ; 2 Array aaa (1000000) ; 3 Retain AAA: 0 ; 4 Run ; NOTE: The data set WORK.ONE has 1 observations and 1000000 variables. NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): real time 2:52.48 cpu time 2:37.24 Toby Dunn To sensible men, every day is a day of reckoning. ~John W. Gardner The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice that which we are for what we could become. ~Charles DuBois Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and i...

RE : RE : sas to teradata insertion error
Hum, yes yes yes, I remember this error....when I got the v9 (again) :-)) I'm sure it's a compatibility problem between the SAS9 and the teradata client which worked fine with the v8 but not very well with v9 (as a old post in relation to Oracle, the RDBMS client have to change when you upgrade SAS). I used insert values statement and I changed to : data SCORE_DESCRIP1; infile datalines dsd dlm='|'; input SCORE_DESC_1 $3. +1 LIB_DESC_1 : $50. ; datalines; .... ; run; proc sql; connect to teradata (user ="&__user3" password="&__pass3" schema="...

Re: What does the SAS message mean?
Xu, In my experience, this means t\tou have more than one SAS session running at the same time. The first one locks the registry and the second puts out this warning message, usually at startup time. Look at thhe very beginning of you session log. It could also be due to some other process on your system locking the registry, but this less likely. In most cases, you can ignore the message although I am not familiar with SurveySelect. HTH, Dennis Diskin On 10/17/05, Xu Libin <Libin.Xu@irs.gov> wrote: > > Dear SAS-lers, > > When I ran the following syntax: > proc surveyme...

Re: Strange SAS behavior!
Duck-Hye Yang <dyang@CHAPINHALL.ORG> wrote: > These days I noticed one weird thing. > Even though I specified a variable name to be analyzed (for example, > for proc univariate), I found that the VERY FIRST variable in the order > in a data was used. > > Have any of you experienced this kind of thing ? This would be a strange SAS behavior. Perhaps you should write back (to the list, not to me personally) and demonstrate some simple SAS code, with log and output, demonstrating this behavior, so that we can see what is actually happening. Make the SAS code as short as ...

Re: strange error message