Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES #2

OHHH went there, did that, got the t-shirt, even.  I tried everything in the book.  This person is extremely LITERAL and looking for the letter of the law, or something........maybe my trying so hard just egged him on, or his stubbornness that kept his feet in concrete, but I don't think so.  He truly believes that.

-----Original Message-----
From: David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM>
To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:55:12 -0800
Subject: Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES

sasbum@AOL.COM wrote:
>How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that the concept of
>TABLES isn't limited to SQL? This came up during a discussion on table
>lookup methods - and lookup tables in particular (I mean, lookup tables
>pre-
>date SQL). Even SAS data sets are referred to as tables. This made the
>student apoplectic.

I find a visual works well here. If you show a grid with rows and columns,
then
you can show a picture of a SAS data set and a SQL table and a lookup table,
and show that (regardless of terminology and buzzwords) they're all pretty
much
the same.

>Words of wisdom most welcome!!!

Sorry, all you get is me.

David
--
David L. Cassell
mathematical statistician

SASbum (19)

Try this (a higher authority):

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&as_qdr=all&q=define%3A+data+table&btnG=Search&lr=lang_en

Howard Wood wrote:
> OHHH went there, did that, got the t-shirt, even.  I tried everything in the book.  This person is extremely LITERAL and looking for the letter of the law, or something........maybe my trying so hard just egged him on, or his stubbornness that kept his feet in concrete, but I don't think so.  He truly believes that.

eliasrk (84)
11/30/2005 10:25:48 PM
Friar Broccoli wrote:
> Try this (a higher authority):

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&as_qdr=all&q=define%3A+data+table&btnG=Search&lr=lang_en

> Howard Wood wrote:
>> OHHH went there, did that, got the t-shirt, even.  I tried
>> everything in the book.  This person is extremely LITERAL and
>> looking for the letter of the law, or something........maybe my
>> trying so hard just egged him on, or his stubbornness that kept his
>> feet in concrete, but I don't think so.  He truly believes that.

The case for a network of linked nodes representing a sparse matrix (also
known as a table) might send this person to the medical office (or worse).

--
Richard A. DeVenezia
http://www.devenezia.com/

0