From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu]
On Behalf Of Howard Wood
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 7:59 PM
To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: TABLES TABLES TABLES

How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that the concept
of TABLES isn't limited to SQL?  This came up during a discussion on
table lookup methods - and lookup tables in particular (I mean, lookup
tables pre- date SQL).  Even SAS data sets are referred to as tables.
This made the student apoplectic.

Words of wisdom most welcome!!!

Thanks,
Howard
0
HERMANS1 (2683)

TABLES TABLES TABLES
How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that the concept of TABLES isn't limited to SQL? This came up during a discussion on table lookup methods - and lookup tables in particular (I mean, lookup tables pre- date SQL). Even SAS data sets are referred to as tables. This made the student apoplectic. Words of wisdom most welcome!!! Thanks, Howard sasbum@AOL.COM wrote: >How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that the concept of >TABLES isn't limited to SQL? This came up during a discussion on table >lookup methods - and lookup tables in partic...

Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES
sasbum@AOL.COM wrote: >How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that the concept of >TABLES isn't limited to SQL? This came up during a discussion on table >lookup methods - and lookup tables in particular (I mean, lookup tables >pre- >date SQL). Even SAS data sets are referred to as tables. This made the >student apoplectic. I find a visual works well here. If you show a grid with rows and columns, then you can show a picture of a SAS data set and a SQL table and a lookup table, and show that (regardless of terminology and buzzwords) they're all pr...

Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES #5
LOL -- I told him I had a table in my dining room, and another kind in my kitchen, etc. -----Original Message----- From: Ed Heaton <EdHeaton@westat.com> To: Howard Wood <sasbum@AOL.COM> Sent: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:44:38 -0500 Subject: RE: TABLES TABLES TABLES Howard, Maybe you should turn the tables on him and correct him whenever he refers to a sedan as a car or to beef as meat or to an engine as a motor. Ed Ed Heaton RW-4541 #4818 -----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu] On Behalf Of Howard Wood Sent: Saturday, Nov...

Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES #3
You might say he is "incorrigible". Rob Rohrbough Omaha, NE > -----Original Message----- > From: Howard Wood [mailto:sasbum@AOL.COM] > Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 10:25 AM > Subject: Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES > > > LOL -- I told him I had a table in my dining room, and > another kind in my kitchen, etc. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Ed Heaton <EdHeaton@westat.com> > To: Howard Wood <sasbum@AOL.COM> > Sent: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:44:38 -0500 > Subject: RE: TABLES TABLES TABLES > > > Howard, > > Maybe you ...

Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES #6
Ahhhh - I'm lovin' that one. TY TY In a message dated 12/1/2005 6:14:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, rdevenezia@WILDBLUE.NET writes: Friar Broccoli wrote: > Try this (a higher authority): > > http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&as_qdr=all&q=de fine%3A+data+table&btnG=Search&lr=lang_en > > Howard Wood wrote: >> OHHH went there, did that, got the t-shirt, even. I tried >> everything in the book. This person is extremely LITERAL and >> looking for the letter of the law, or something........maybe...

Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES #2
OHHH went there, did that, got the t-shirt, even. I tried everything in the book. This person is extremely LITERAL and looking for the letter of the law, or something........maybe my trying so hard just egged him on, or his stubbornness that kept his feet in concrete, but I don't think so. He truly believes that. -----Original Message----- From: David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Sent: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:55:12 -0800 Subject: Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES sasbum@AOL.COM wrote: >How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that the concept...

Table of tables
Given t = {{{-1, -1, -2+2I}, {-1, -1, 3-I}}, {{-1, -1, 4+I}, {-1, -1, -5-5I}}}; how can I extract the imaginary part of the complex elements to obtain {{{-1, -1, 2}, {-1, -1, -1}}, {{-1, -1, 1}, {-1, -1, -5}}}; thank you. Luiz Melo -- On Oct 20, 1:07 am, Luiz Melo <luiz.m...@polymtl.ca> wrote: > Given > > t = {{{-1, -1, -2+2I}, {-1, -1, 3-I}}, {{-1, -1, 4+I}, {-1, -1, -5-5I}}}; > > how can I extract the imaginary part of the complex elements to obtain > > {{{-1, -1, 2}, {-1, -1, -1}}, {{-1, -1, 1}, {-1, -1, -5}}}; > > thank yo...

From table to table....
I want to create a new table containing only the results from a select statement of another table. How is that done? select a, b, c into destTable from sourceTable where a='x' or a='y' or a='z'; Does one have to create the destTable or is it created for you with the correct structure? Can the rows of one table be used in the select of another table? eg: The above select statement has three choices. could those 'choices' have been rows of a column of a table? On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 10:29:45 -0800 (PST), SpreadTooThin wrote: > I want to create a new table co...

Re: Table of tables
Thanks Sebastian and Valeri for the help. I'm actually looking for a function that operates only on the third row of each column-matrix terms(which happen to be complex in the example I gave), but leaves the other terms intact. Consider a different example: Let t = {{{-1, -1, -2}, {-1, -1, -3}}, {{-1, -1, -4}, {-1, -1, -5}}}; how can I get {{{-1, -1, 2}, {-1, -1, 3}}, {{-1, -1, 4}, {-1, -1, 5}}}; that is, in this case, I need a function that takes the Abs[] of the 3rd row of each sub-matrix and leaves the other terms intact. Regards, Luiz > Hi Luiz! >...

Re: Summary: Re: Table combining tables? PROC FREQ or maybe #4
Problem solved! Thanks all! Howard wrote > >>NOTE: Numeric variables in the input data set will be converted to >character in the output data >> set. > >********** > >This is suspicious. Are some of the V3_ variables character rather than numeric? > Yes, there were some. And when I re-ran it with just the numeric variables, it worked perfectly. Thanks again! Peter Peter L. Flom, PhD Statistical Consultant www DOT peterflom DOT com ...

Re: load SAS table into DB2 temporary table
Pascal: Enclose SQL create and delete queries in a SQL EXECUTE() function and pass them through to DB2. Once you have the table created, you can insert rows of data (using BULKLOAD to speed up inserting large numbers of rows). Ask your DB2 DBA about the correct syntax for DB2 temporary table name. Sig -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of tonts Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 2:31 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: load SAS table into DB2 temporary table Lois, Thanks for your answer. But the problem is a little bit different ...

Re: Big Table / Little Table Update #4
Mike, Thanks for the ideas. I tried a similar approach using a data step that looked something like: data big_table ; set small ; modify big_table key=key ; if setdate < maxdate then flag = 0 ; else flag = 1 ; if _iorc_=0 then replace; run ; However it didn't work. I read something in an old SAS-L message that made me believe that MODIFY wouldn't work with multiple values of the key value, and even if I removed them from the small table, they would always exist in the big one. Perhaps that explains why it wouldn't work for me. Then I've tried your approach...

Re: Joining SAS Table and SQL Server Table
Jeremy: This question comes up repeatedly. The best solution appears to be outside the scope of middle-ware developers that support SAS (ODBC, OLEdb, SAS/Access Oracle/DB2 engines). Ideally the SAS/Access product would optimize the query by sending a query from the SAS client to execute on the DB server. The query would select joins rows in a DB table or view to a url from which the DB server can stream key values and elements of WHERE clauses from a smaller table or view on the SAS client. In resolving the query, the DB server would project columns and subset rows and stream the yield of the...

Re: Table A exclude data in table B #4
Hi Tammy, A non-SQL solution: DATA Table_A; INPUT Name $ Date; CARDS; Tim 01 Tim 02 Tim 03 Mary 01 Mary 02 Mary 03 Mary 04 ; RUN; DATA Table_B; INPUT Name $ Date; CARDS; Tim 03 Mary 03 Mary 04 ; RUN; PROC SORT DATA=Table_A; BY Name Date; RUN; PROC SORT DATA=Table_B; BY Name Date; RUN; DATA Table_A_no_B; MERGE Table_A (IN=A) Table_B (IN=B); BY Name Date; IF (NOT B); RUN; PROC PRINT DATA=Table_A_no_B; RUN; Regards - Jim. -- Jim Groeneveld, Netherlands Statistician, SAS consultant home.hccnet.nl/jim.groeneveld On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:12:02 -0700, tammy1207@YAHOO.COM.TW wrote...

Web resources about - Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES #4 - comp.soft-sys.sas

Table of United States Core Based Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
for the United States of America . The OMB defines a Core Based Statistical Area as one or more adjacent counties or county equivalents that ...

Lawyer Seen ‘Bent Over A Table Apparently Having Sex With An Inmate’
Allegations of jailhouse sex shenanigans earn a lawyer some unwelcome attention.

Will Syria's warring sides reach the negotiating table?
Syrian government and opposition teams are in Geneva, but talks remain stalled.

Thursday's Trumpless Debate Was Like An Expanded Kiddie Table
I missed Thursday's Trumpless debate. I was at my favorite restaurant, Michael Voltaggio's Ink, instead. For the last year I'm been battling ...

Read between the lines, and the Cavs trading Kevin Love is on the table
There have been no serious trade talks reported, but there are indications in the wake of the firing of David Blatt that Cleveland could look ...

$698/Month Tesla Model S Lease Now On The Table
... met at a charging station. Obviously, the $698/month deal is just for the Tesla Model [&hellip $698/Month Tesla Model S Lease Now On The Table ...

Fed holds line; rate hikes still on the table
The Federal Reserve gave no indication that it was changing course on its rate-hiking path ahead.

Grand jury turns tables on Planned Parenthood accusers (+video)
David Daleiden, director of the Center for Medical Progress, and Sandra Merritt, one of Mr. Daleiden’s employees face a felony charge of tampering ...

Farm-to-Table Asian Restaurant The Lucky Bee Opens Tonight
... gas. Tonight, restaurateur Rupert Noffs and former Fat Radish sous chef Matty Bennett are planning to open The Lucky Bee, a new farm-to-table ...

Convert your tired table into a powered standing desk for $400
NextDesk has long offered standing desks, which are argued to have health benefits over regular desks that you sit at. Its latest product is ...