Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES

sasbum@AOL.COM wrote:
>How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that the concept of
>TABLES isn't limited to SQL?  This came up during a discussion on table
>lookup methods - and lookup tables in particular (I mean, lookup tables
>pre-
>date SQL).  Even SAS data sets are referred to as tables.  This made the
>student apoplectic.

I find a visual works well here.  If you show a grid with rows and columns,
then
you can show a picture of a SAS data set and a SQL table and a lookup table,
and show that (regardless of terminology and buzzwords) they're all pretty
much
the same.

>Words of wisdom most welcome!!!

Sorry, all you get is me.

David
--
David L. Cassell
mathematical statistician

davidlcassell (5567)

Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES #6
Ahhhh - I'm lovin' that one. TY TY In a message dated 12/1/2005 6:14:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, rdevenezia@WILDBLUE.NET writes: Friar Broccoli wrote: > Try this (a higher authority): > > http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe=off&as_qdr=all&q=de fine%3A+data+table&btnG=Search&lr=lang_en > > Howard Wood wrote: >> OHHH went there, did that, got the t-shirt, even. I tried >> everything in the book. This person is extremely LITERAL and >> looking for the letter of the law, or something........maybe...

Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES #2
OHHH went there, did that, got the t-shirt, even. I tried everything in the book. This person is extremely LITERAL and looking for the letter of the law, or something........maybe my trying so hard just egged him on, or his stubbornness that kept his feet in concrete, but I don't think so. He truly believes that. -----Original Message----- From: David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Sent: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:55:12 -0800 Subject: Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES sasbum@AOL.COM wrote: >How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that the concept...

Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES #3
You might say he is "incorrigible". Rob Rohrbough Omaha, NE > -----Original Message----- > From: Howard Wood [mailto:sasbum@AOL.COM] > Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 10:25 AM > Subject: Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES > > > LOL -- I told him I had a table in my dining room, and > another kind in my kitchen, etc. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Ed Heaton <EdHeaton@westat.com> > To: Howard Wood <sasbum@AOL.COM> > Sent: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:44:38 -0500 > Subject: RE: TABLES TABLES TABLES > > > Howard, > > Maybe you should turn the tables on him and correct him whenever he > refers to a sedan as a car or to beef as meat or to an engine as a > motor. > > Ed > > Ed Heaton > RW-4541 > #4818 > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu > [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu] > On Behalf Of Howard Wood > Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 7:59 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: TABLES TABLES TABLES > > > How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that > the concept > of TABLES isn't limited to SQL? This came up during a discussion on > table lookup methods - and lookup tables in particular (I mean, lookup > tables pre- date SQL). Even SAS data sets are referred to as tables. > This made the student apoplectic. > > Words of wisdom most welcome!!! > > Thanks, > Ho...

Re: Joining SAS Table and SQL Server Table
Jeremy: This question comes up repeatedly. The best solution appears to be outside the scope of middle-ware developers that support SAS (ODBC, OLEdb, SAS/Access Oracle/DB2 engines). Ideally the SAS/Access product would optimize the query by sending a query from the SAS client to execute on the DB server. The query would select joins rows in a DB table or view to a url from which the DB server can stream key values and elements of WHERE clauses from a smaller table or view on the SAS client. In resolving the query, the DB server would project columns and subset rows and stream the yield of the query back to the client. All this should happen under the hood of a program of this form: LIBNAME ... <SAS/Access engine> "<connection string>"; create table ... as select ... from <SAS library>.<SAS tabular data object> ... join <server connection>.<DB tabular data object> on <condition> where <condition> .... That seems so fundamental and simple that I would have to guess that only the commercial interests of DB system vendors stands in the way of implementing it. The middleware developers have the means to access metadata both on the SAS client side and on the DB server, so the SAS query optimizer can always recognize the right situation for this execution plan. I expect to see the solution I've outlined become a standard way of handling your problem. In the meantime, a simple LIBNAME ... ODBC/OLEdb join query on the SAS...

Re: load SAS table into DB2 temporary table
Pascal: Enclose SQL create and delete queries in a SQL EXECUTE() function and pass them through to DB2. Once you have the table created, you can insert rows of data (using BULKLOAD to speed up inserting large numbers of rows). Ask your DB2 DBA about the correct syntax for DB2 temporary table name. Sig -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of tonts Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 2:31 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: load SAS table into DB2 temporary table Lois, Thanks for your answer. But the problem is a little bit different ...

Re: Table of tables #2
On 10/21/10 at 7:01 AM, luiz.melo@polymtl.ca (Luiz Melo) wrote: >I'm actually looking for a function that operates only on the third >row of each column-matrix terms(which happen to be complex in the >example I gave), but leaves the other terms intact. Consider a >different example: >Let t = {{{-1, -1, -2}, {-1, -1, -3}}, {{-1, -1, -4}, {-1, -1, >-5}}}; >how can I get >{{{-1, -1, 2}, {-1, -1, 3}}, {{-1, -1, 4}, {-1, -1, 5}}}; >that is, in this case, I need a function that takes the Abs[] of the >3rd row of each sub-matrix and leaves the oth...

tables: changing default table font for all tables in a document
Hello, I would like all tables in a document to appear in a font different from the one that I use for the rest of the document. One way to do this is to wrap \textsf{...} around every table: \textsf{ \begin{tabular}{rcc} [...] \end{tabular} } does the trick. But isn't there a way to redefine the tabular environment so that I need not employ \textsf{...}for each table? Thank you, --John John Bullock wrote: > Hello, > > I would like all tables in a document to appear in a font different > from the one that I use for the rest of the document. One way to do this is > to wrap \textsf{...} around every table: > > \textsf{ > \begin{tabular}{rcc} > [...] > \end{tabular} > } > > does the trick. But isn't there a way to redefine the tabular environment so > that I need not employ \textsf{...}for each table? > > Thank you, > --John > > > does your tables float? because then redefining the table environment might be enough something like (untested) \let\oldtable\table \renewcommand\table[1][]{\oldtable[#1]\sffamily} -- /daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address) LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq LaTeX book: http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/ (in Danish) Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below h...

in table a but not in table b
Hallo, I have two tables, a and b. For the sake of clarity I use only one column in both tables. a. has a columns containing values NL,DE,FR, IT b has a column containing values NL and FR I need a query that selects the missing value(s), and only the missing values in table b. So the result should be DE and IT. I'm sure some join would work, but I am totally confused by them joins... ;-)) Please give me clue sjef escribi�: > Hallo, > I have two tables, a and b. For the sake of clarity I use only one > column in both tables. > a. has a columns containing values NL,DE,FR, IT >...

select table.* from table
I'm using JDBC to update Oracle 9i tables. If I execute "select * from table" then, even though I've requested an updatable resultset, I cannot modify the resultset -- it fails with "Invalid operation for read only resultset". If, however, I change the query to "select table.* from table" then I *can* modify the resultset. What is the distinction between these queries that makes one read-only and one writable? Thanks. ...

table class for table
Hi: Is there free code for a "Table" class? I am especially interested in using this class to store "table information" extracted from html. Thanks, John I'd be inclined to use something like String[][] for the general case. -- ROGER NEYMAN <homecurr@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2d5d0ce4.0405161110.36f9b7ca@posting.google.com... > Hi: > > Is there free code for a "Table" class? I am especially interested in > using this class to store "table information" extracted from html. > > Thanks, > > John Good ne...

Re: Summary: Re: Table combining tables? PROC FREQ or maybe
Hi Peter, The log might help us see whats going on.....But for now, you can check by running a summary of your raw data.... proc summary data = today ; class prop_part ; var v3_1 -- v3_15 ; output out = tot sum = ; run ; proc print data=tot ; run ; From the 'tot' dataset, look in _type_ = 0, which is the sum of all variables. If this sum matches the proc freq output which you showed below, then it may be a data issue. If not, then looking at the log might help...... On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 22:15:39 -0400, Peter Flom <peterflomconsulting@MINDSPRING.COM> wrote: >Hi again > >Just to clarify what's going on before I go to bed: > >I had a data set. I printed the first 10 observations on key variables, and sent it to the list, and Howard (among others) gave a solution. > >Then I ran that solution on my original data, and got the wrong results. > >What I sent to the list came from: > >proc print data = today (obs = 10); > var v3_1:--v3_15 prop_part; >run; > >and looked like this > > prop_ >Obs V3_1 V3_2 V3_3 V3_4 V3_5 V3_6 V3_7 V3_8 V3_9 V3_10 V3_11 V3_12 V3_13 V3_14 V3_15 part > >1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1: Som >2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 2: All >3 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 2: All >4 0 0 0 0 0 1 ...

Re: Summary: Re: Table combining tables? PROC FREQ or maybe #4
Problem solved! Thanks all! Howard wrote > >>NOTE: Numeric variables in the input data set will be converted to >character in the output data >> set. > >********** > >This is suspicious. Are some of the V3_ variables character rather than numeric? > Yes, there were some. And when I re-ran it with just the numeric variables, it worked perfectly. Thanks again! Peter Peter L. Flom, PhD Statistical Consultant www DOT peterflom DOT com ...

Re: Summary: Re: Table combining tables? PROC FREQ or maybe #2
I've now got several solutions.... SAS-L is great! But the odd behavior of Howard's program on two datasets that ought to have been the same is still puzzling. Hari Nath <hari_s_nath@YAHOO.COM> wrote > >The log might help us see whats going on.....But for now, you can check by >running a summary of your raw data.... > >proc summary data = today ; > class prop_part ; > var v3_1 -- v3_15 ; > output out = tot sum = ; >run ; > >proc print data=tot ; >run ; > >From the 'tot' dataset, look in _type_ = 0, which is the sum of all >variables. If this sum matches the proc freq output which you showed >below, then it may be a data issue. If not, then looking at the log might >help...... > > The _type_ = 0 did not match the weird FREQ output that I had gotten. So, here's the log from running Howard's program on my data. I don't know if it will help. <<<<< 219 220 data numbered; number + 1; set today3; run; NOTE: There were 609 observations read from the data set WORK.TODAY3. NOTE: The data set WORK.NUMBERED has 609 observations and 25 variables. NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): real time 0.03 seconds cpu time 0.03 seconds 221 222 proc transpose data=numbered out=long; 223 by number prop_part; 224 var v3_ : ; 225 run; NOTE: Numeric variables in the input data set will be converted to character in the out...

Re: Summary: Re: Table combining tables? PROC FREQ or maybe #5
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:09:18 -0400, Peter Flom <peterflomconsulting@MINDSPRING.COM> wrote: >Problem solved! Thanks all! > >Howard wrote >> >>>NOTE: Numeric variables in the input data set will be converted to >>character in the output data >>> set. >> >>********** >> >>This is suspicious. Are some of the V3_ variables character rather than numeric? >> > >Yes, there were some. And when I re-ran it with just the numeric variables, it worked perfectly. > >Thanks again! > >Peter > >Peter L. Flom, PhD >Statistical Consultant >www DOT peterflom DOT com Now we can fill in the details. Because the variables being transposed were a mixture of numeric and character, PROC TRANSPOSE converted the numeric values to character. The characteristics of the resulting transposed variable depend on the lengths and justifications of the original character variables. The converted values we know will have 11 leading blanks (from the BEST12. format used in the conversion). In any case, my WHERE statement implicitly assumed it would be testing 0/1 numerics. It does not filter out any of the character values. Hence the incorrect results Peter saw. The code can be strengthened by changing the WHERE statement to where left(col1)='1'; Peter said earlier that the data set was provided to him by another party. I think he was then a bit too eager to get started on the tests and tab...

Re: Summary: Re: Table combining tables? PROC FREQ or maybe #3
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 08:12:59 -0400, Peter Flom <peterflomconsulting@MINDSPRING.COM> wrote: >I've now got several solutions.... SAS-L is great! But the odd behavior of Howard's program on two datasets that ought to have been the same is still puzzling. > >Hari Nath <hari_s_nath@YAHOO.COM> wrote > >> > >>The log might help us see whats going on.....But for now, you can check by >>running a summary of your raw data.... >> >>proc summary data = today ; >> class prop_part ; >> var v3_1 -- v3_15 ; >> output out = tot sum = ; >>run ; >> >>proc print data=tot ; >>run ; >> >>From the 'tot' dataset, look in _type_ = 0, which is the sum of all >>variables. If this sum matches the proc freq output which you showed >>below, then it may be a data issue. If not, then looking at the log might >>help...... >> >> > >The _type_ = 0 did not match the weird FREQ output that I had gotten. So, here's the log from running Howard's program on my data. I don't know if it will help. > > ><<<<< >219 >220 data numbered; number + 1; set today3; run; > >NOTE: There were 609 observations read from the data set WORK.TODAY3. >NOTE: The data set WORK.NUMBERED has 609 observations and 25 variables. >NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): > real time 0.03 seconds ...

Re: Create new tables from old tables
I don't have a ready to use solution, but that way, you could do that: - you have to build a meta structure with several informations. - you need all available index informations (number of, each name) that thing you need in a macro array. 1. sort nodupkey BY INDEX; -> index_dat 2. %let no_index=0; data _null_; set index_dat; call symput("no_index",_n_); call symput(cats("i",_n_),index); run; - you need the year span (min, max) for each index. - you need for each of that spans all datasets which have obs in that span + the number of them. With that informations, you can create nested macro loops to do all what you want. The data selection from the input datasets can be done via the YEAR function. Just add a WHERE YEAR(DATEVAR)=&&y&i; to get the right data. Gerhard On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:53:03 +0100, yom <yomsas@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >Dear All, > > >I have a SAS table which contains description of all SAS tables (sorted by >date) of a folder. >The first column is an index, the second one and the third one are >respectively the beginning date and the ending date of each listed sas >table. The fourth column give the name of the sas table. >For example : > > >SAS TABLE INVENTORY >=================================== > > >index beginningDate endingDate sasTableName >A 25JAN2000 15MAR2000 SFRT >A 10MAR2000 27APR2000 ZHIY >A 20APR2000 11OCT2000 SKOP >A 19SEP2000 14NOV...

Re: Table A exclude data in table B
proc sql; create table a_butnot_b as select name,date from a except select name,date from b ; On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:12:02 -0700, tammy1207@YAHOO.COM.TW wrote: >Hello everyone, > >In table A, it contains entire data of Name and Date. In table B, it >lists the Name and Date which are supposed to removed from table A. >How can I use proc sql or other ways to do the join in order to >eliminate the list in table B? > >Sample: > >Table A > >Name Date >Tim 01 >Tim 02 >Tim 03 >Mary 01 >Mary 02 >Mary 03 >Mary 04 > > >Table B > >Name Date >Tim 03 >Mary 03 >Mary 04 > > >Desire final table > >Name Date >Tim 01 >Tim 02 >Mary 01 >Mary 02 > >I appriciate any assistance you can lend. > >Tammy Thank you. This is exactly what I am looking for. To extend this question, assume I have couple B tables, B1, B2, B3...., which contains the lists that I would like to exclude from table A. How should I conduct it? Tammy On 10=A4=EB22=A4=E9, =A4U=A4=C810=AE=C936=A4=C0, ya.hu...@AMYLIN.COM (Ya Hu= ang) wrote: > proc sql; > create table a_butnot_b as > select name,date > from a > except > select name,date > from b > ; > > > > On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:12:02 -0700, tammy1...@YAHOO.COM.TW wrote: > >Hello everyone, > > >In table A, it contains entire data of Name and Date. In table B, it > &g...

Joining SAS Table and SQL Server Table
I have a SAS table that I want to join with a table in a MS SQL Server database based on a claim key - this is an indexed column in the SQL Server table. The number of rows in the SAS table will vary from a few rows to a several thousand rows. There will be tens of thousands of rows in the SQL Server table but there will only be at most of few hundred matches between the two tables (for the query that I need). I need some help as to what is the best method. I know I can create a view of the SQL Server table and then join the two with SQL. Will this make any use of the index in SQL Server?...

Re: creating data table from many tables
not a idea for that what you want. I would use a macro for that, fetch all what fits to the desired names from SASHELP.VCOLUMN... But something other: are that tables all of the same structure? In that case a SET with 100 or more tables is very inefficient! Better: set a_table open=defer b_table open=defer ... ; which needs less memory and less time to allocate that memory, because only one table is open at a time, not all 100. If nobody has a better solution e.g. with a kind of wildcard, I could help you with a macro if you want. Gerhard On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 04:04:00 -0800, andrewjmdata@GMAIL.COM wrote: >Hi - I have a pile of around 100 tables and I want to set them all >into 1 table. > >At the moment it works like this... > >data tblMain; > set > a_table > b_table > c_table > .... > n_table; >run; > >I am sure there must be a more succint way of doing this.... "set >where table like *_table" or something. > >Any ideas anyone? > >Many thanks > >Andrew ...

Re: joining tables- one table below another
On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 01:57:19 -0800, oercim <oercim@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > Hello, let say I have 2 tables such as > > a b c > ---------------------- ------->table1 > > 34 12 > 35 14 > 36 23 > > > a b c > ------------------- ---------->table2 > 34 6 > 35 12 16 > 36 5 4 > >I want join these tables such "one table below another table" using >PROC SQL statements. For the above tables ,I want to do it like that: > > a b c > ---------------------- > 34 12 > 35 14 > 36 23 > 34 6 > 35 12 16 > 36 5 4 > >How can I do that using PROC SQL statements?Thanks a lot. sql union >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> proc sql ; create table c as select * from a union select * from b ; quit; >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> search online-doc for properly described / documented examples or go on a course or .... is there a basic SQL introduction somewhere ? Good Luck Peter Crawford http://www.technical-seminar.co.uk ...

Tables printing prefs: how rescale wide tables to fit the page FOR ALL TABLES AT ONCE
Hi there, unfortunately I'm unable to use this preference for the whole output. After running some ANOVAs with pairwise comparisons each time I have to click each table seperatetly to alter the width. Regardless of where I alter it. I tried TableLooks as well as Table Properties. I saved the look and applied it to all other tables. Nothing works. It would really be awesome if someone could give me a hint on how to use that feature. Thanks, Rene Update: Problem solved. You have to alter the TableLook via the output file/window and save it (save as). Then you have to use the normal menu (Edit->Options) and chose the new style using the pivot table tabulator. he changes don't affect already existing outputs. You have to run your analyses agaionn to apply that look to your tables. Best, Rene Ren� Kopietz schrieb: > Hi there, > > unfortunately I'm unable to use this preference for the whole output. > After running some ANOVAs with pairwise comparisons each time I have to > click each table seperatetly to alter the width. Regardless of where I > alter it. I tried TableLooks as well as Table Properties. I saved the > look and applied it to all other tables. Nothing works. > > It would really be awesome if someone could give me a hint on how to use > that feature. > > Thanks, > Rene ...

SQL for Quering Access Tables using a Table/Field List Table
I have a Table called TableField that has the table names, fields and Data type of all the tables and fields in the database. They are set up as follows: Table: TableField TableName FieldName Type Table1 LName Text Table1 FName Text Table1 Address1 Text Table1 Address2 Text Table1 State Text Table1 Zip Text Table2 Color Text Table2 Descrip Text Table2 Size Text Table2 Temp Text . . Table65 ... Not having much Access experience, If I were looking for a specific value "e.g., Orange" located in one o...

relaton between notify table , target adress table, target parametets table
Hi, Could anyone please tell me the relation between notification table, target address table and target address parameters table? Regards ramu <ramu.ask@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > Could anyone please tell me the relation between notification > table, target address table and target address parameters table? Did you take a look at RFC 3413? Appendix A includes an example how the tables work together... /js -- Juergen Schoenwaelder Jacobs University Bremen <http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/> P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany...

Re: Newbie Questio.. Getting a Virtual address space full and global page table full error.. How to repair.? page table full error.. How to repair.? page table full error.. How to repair.?
On 5/21/05, David J Dachtera <djesys.nospam@comcast.net> wrote: > Bruce Cooke wrote: > > > > Hi > > I have a Vaxstation 4000 60, vms 5.5 , 2 rz23l hard drives , and when > > booting get the subject messages. The computer wont boot into dec windo= ws, > > so the only way in is thru the DCL sysboot menu.I know there are spare > > blocks on the boot drive but have no idea how to fix no virtual address > > space error Any one > > here know how to solve this? >=20 > Well, Peter suggested AUTOGEN. If you don't know what that is, I...

Web resources about - Re: TABLES TABLES TABLES - comp.soft-sys.sas

Table tennis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Table tennis , also known as ping-pong , is a sport in which two or four players hit a lightweight, hollow ball back and forth using table tennis ...

Sustainable seafood on more Australian tables as traceability practices improve
From cans to&nbsp;fish shop windows and restaurant plates, 30 per cent of the world's seafood is still mislabelled.

Joe's Crab Shack apologizes for photo of black man's 1895 hanging at table
People Magazine Joe's Crab Shack apologizes for photo of black man's 1895 hanging at table Charlotte Observer An image on a table at a Joe's ...

Cramer: Oil's biggest worry now off the table
Jim Cramer thinks the big credit crunch in the oil patch could finally be over, and is ready to take action.

EU, Turkey ‘Migrant Swap’ Deal Back on the Table, Days After Merkel Hammered in Elections at Home
European Union leaders are set to begin further discussions in Brussels Thursday on a proposed “migrant swap” agreement with Turkey, but with ...

IKEA Recalls Floor, Table Lamps Because They Should Light Up A Room, Not You
... announced another lighting recall, this time for lamp bases that can shock users. IKEA on Thursday recalled all of its GOTHEM floor and table ...

Minnesota diners stunned by lynching photo embedded in diner table
The owners of a Joe's Crab Shack diner has apologized for the inclusion of the photo, along with a troubling joke, in the restaurant's table ...

Aussie School Head, Avowed Global Warming Warrior Tables Requests To Divest — Too Pricey To Quit Oil
'The council has to balance both its fiduciary responsibilities to provide the funds for students and staff needs'

Morning Digest: Can Team Blue retake the House in 2016? Only if they completely run the table
Leading Off : ● House : Daily Kos Elections is pleased to present our initial House race ratings for the 2016 election cycle . Mid-decade redistricting ...

How Julie Deane Of The Cambridge Satchel Company Created A Global Brand From Her Kitchen Table
In 2007, Julie Deane’s eight-year-old daughter was being bullied at school. Deane needed to move her to a new, safe school and figured the best ...