Re: XML data to SAS data set converstion #3

Since a SAS dataset is not much good without SAS - unless your intent is
to read it using something like StatTransfer, one would assume that the
eventual target is for the data to be input into SAS.

There are a couple of other possibilities. It would be possible to write
a script in the language of your choice to pull the data from the XML
file and also write data step code to read it.

Another possibility would be to write an XMLMap file (another XML file)
to describe how the transformation from the XML data file into one or
more datasets is to be done. Since the XMLMap file is just another XML
file it could be generated by an XML editor, a text editor, or the
appropriate script. The SAS XML engine can use this XMLMAP file to read
the original XML data file as if it were a SAS library. The XMLMAP file
only needs to be created once to describe the transformation from a
particular flavor of XML file (having a particular schema or DTD) to a
particular set of SAS datasets.

A single XML file can represent a collection of data that could be
awkward to use in a single table, as in the case of a whole collection
of tables from a relational database dumped into one XML file. While you
could represent the XML file as a table with a column for the XPATH and
a column for the content of that element or attribute, that would not
necessarily be the best representation for working with the data.
Instead, an XMLMAP file can direct the SAS XML engine to create a
collection of tables.

Larry Hoyle
Associate Scientist
Institute for Policy & Social Research
University of Kansas
Blake Hall
1541 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS  66044-3177

http://www.ipsr.ku.edu

0
LarryHoyle (44)

Re: How to filter sas data sets into separate sas data sets #3
Lizette, Instead of trying to merge the two data sets, I would probably try to create a SAS format from the values of VAR1 in data set 1. Then, NODE1, NODE2 and NODE3 could be compared against the format for a match. The example below is a simplified version of what you could do and shows a printout of how it works. It has 5 observations in data set 1 and only 3 variables in data set 2, but I think the logic should hold for the example you gave. After the example is code that could be used to actually split the data as you had requested. Hope this helps. * create sas data set 1 ; data ...

Re: XML data to SAS data set converstion
It depends on the XML document. What is the complexity and what O/S are you running on? I have built utilities for doing XML to SAS conversion. You would need to use a .NET language and consume the dll. The tool can be found at: http://utilities.savian.net Look for Data Management Utilities. You could also try my XML to delimited and see if that works for you. I haven't touched it in a few years so let me know if does not work. For other tools, buy XmlSpy and do a conversion to a format that SAS can read. Load your XML document and then have it convert it to a text or database. You would need the correct SAS/Access product to do the database import into SAS. If it is a 1 time thing, I can do the conversion. Contact me directly if interested. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of tenny kurian Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 5:25 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: XML data to SAS data set converstion Hi, Is it possible to convert an XML data to SAS data set without a SAS environment? 1. If yes please send me details about that tool? 2. If not, suggestions requested about the best tool for XML to SAS data set conversion. Thanks, TK --------------------------------- Get the freedom to save as many mails as you wish. Click here to know how. ...

Re: XML data to SAS data set converstion #4
Excel 2007 can definately read XML; one simple solution would be to read = your data into Excel 2007, then have SAS import the Excel spreadsheet. -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: tenny kurian=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 6:24 AM Subject: XML data to SAS data set converstion Hi, Is it possible to convert an XML data to SAS data set without a SAS = environment? 1. If yes please send me details about that tool? 2. If not, suggestions requested about the best tool for XML to = SAS data set conversion. Thanks, TK --------------------------------- Get the freedom to save as many mails as you wish. Click here to know = how. ...

Re: XML data to SAS data set converstion #2
A correction. The initial post asked: "Is it possible to convert an XML data to SAS data set without a SAS environment?" If there is no SAS at all in a particular shop, then there is no way to do this conversion. If access to SAS is available via IOM then there are ways. What "environment" means becomes the question. If a shop can simply convert into a compatible SAS XML format that is a possibility. The other is to convert it into a delimited file or get it into a database that a SAS shop can read. The SAS dataset layout is binary and unknown. You could put it into a SAS transport file as well since that layout is known. I do not know of any tool, though, that can take XML and convert it into a transport file. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: Alan Churchill [mailto:savian001@gmail.com] Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2008 5:38 AM To: 'tenny kurian'; 'SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU' Subject: RE: XML data to SAS data set converstion It depends on the XML document. What is the complexity and what O/S are you running on? I have built utilities for doing XML to SAS conversion. You would need to use a .NET language and consume the dll. The tool can be found at: http://utilities.savian.net Look for Data Management Utilities. You could also try my XML to delimited and see if that works for you. I haven't touched it in a few years so let me know if does not work. For other tools, buy XmlSpy and do a conv...

Re: How to filter sas data sets into separate sas data sets #4
Something like this is the old way. You could use a proc sql if you have a new enough version. Increase your buffersize and if you have enough memory you may get it into a hash routine. DATA WORK.NEW; MERGE small (IN=A OBS=500) big ; BY ID_FIELD; IF A=1; RUN; QUIT; RICH -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@listserv.vt.edu] On Behalf Of Lizette Koehler Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 10:53 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.VT.EDU Subject: How to filter sas data sets into separate sas data sets Listers, This is my failing point in coding SAS. T...

XML data to SAS data set converstion
Hi, Is it possible to convert an XML data to SAS data set without a SAS environment? 1. If yes please send me details about that tool? 2. If not, suggestions requested about the best tool for XML to SAS data set conversion. Thanks, TK --------------------------------- Get the freedom to save as many mails as you wish. Click here to know how. ...

Re: How to filter sas data sets into separate sas data s ets
I think that both Ron's (as he mentioned) and Richard solutions require that VAR1 is in both datasets. But from the original post, it seemed to me that VAR1 is only in data set 1, and it must be matched to 1 of 3 variables in data set 2 (NODE1, NODE2 or NODE3) to be output to the NEWLIST data set. For this reason, I think a format is one possible approach. Maybe the original poster can clarify this point. Thanks. Jack Clark Research Analyst Center for Health Program Development and Management University of Maryland, Baltimore County -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussio...

Re: Exporting a SAS data set to Text file on SAS unix #3
hi ... actually, what I posted earlier was too much code (sorry) this is enough (a bit more succinct) * variable names into a macro variable (tab separated); proc sql noprint; select name into :vars separated by '09'x from dictionary.columns where libname eq 'SASHELP' and memname eq 'CLASS' order varnum; quit; data _null_; file 'z:\class.txt' dsd dlm='09'x ; if _n_ eq 1 then put "&vars"; set sashelp.class; put (_all_) (:); run; -- Mike Zdeb U@Albany School of Public Health One University Place Rensselaer, New York 12144-3456 P/518-402...

Re: Reading & Writing SAS data sets without SAS #3
Chang, You're correct in that a number of companies have done it. I believe SPSS can do it, WPS, Stat Transfer, dbmscopy, and perhaps others have also done it. But what I think is unique about this is that Alan is talking about offering plug-ins so you can roll-your-own so to speak. How cool would it be to have some type of driver/plugin for R? Phil Philip Rack MineQuest, LLC SAS & WPS Consulting and WPS Reseller Tel: (614) 457-3714 Web: www.MineQuest.com Blog: www.MineQuest.com/WordPress -----Original Message----- From: Chang Chung [mailto:chang_y_chung@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Monday...

Re: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET #3
The disadvantages of using SQL delete are (1) NOBS= is no longer accurate, and (2) POINT= may behave unexpectedly. If those are not issues, then the delete would be faster, with or without an index, than recreating the data set (especially if the data set has indexes that would need to be rebuilt). -- Jack Hamilton jfh@alumni.stanford.org On Aug 15, 2008, at 11:17 am, Mary wrote: > One thing you might do is to add an index on the snap_dt to the > dataset; if that's there then you should be able to delete the > records in place: > > proc sql; > delete from prod.master_date; > where snap_dt = "&end_dt"d; > quit; > run; > > In both the ways you are trying now you are creating new data sets > rather than deleting records from the current data set; it would > seem to me that a SQL delete statement would be faster than creating > new datasets even if there isn't an index on the date. > > -Mary > ----- Original Message ----- > From: SUBSCRIBE SAS-L Chandra Gadde > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 12:14 PM > Subject: Deleting SAS Data from a SAS DATASET > > > Hi All > > I have several SAS datasets that are very very big. (50GB of size). > Every > month, the data is being appended to these datasets. I need to > deleted the > data which is greater than 24 months. What is the best method to do > this? > Please help me. > ...

Re: Converting surveymonkey data into sas data #3
Why wouldn't she have to use '0' = 1 '1' = 2 '2' = 2 '3' = 3 '4' = 3 etc. Wouldn't SAS interpret '3-5' to mean exactly 3-5 and not 3 through 5 as I think she intends???? Dennis Fisher toby dunn wrote: > Lorna , > > TRy using the strip function or left and trim functions to get rid of > leading and trailing blanks. > > If it was me I would well do this any ways and I would skip the if > statements and use a format. > > Your problem in V9 reduces to: > > proc format > value $Monkey > '0&...

Re: search SAS data set from SAS code
> From: Rose > Hi All, > Suppose I have a sas permanent data set which was created > early, I know > the library path but I couldn't remember in which sas program code I > created it. how can I search from so many sas program files in > different folders and find it. a problem familiar to all of us delayed-housekeeping folks. Libname Libref '<directory-specification>'; DATA LibRef.DataSetName; use your system utilities to search for the dir-spec of your libref. search: *.sas containing text: <dir-spec> once you have found the libname...

Re: search SAS data set from SAS code #5
Rose, You have some good advice on search techniques, but they may beinadequate. I hope your LIBNAME wasn't something like libname lib "&dir" ; Perhaps you should also search for ".member", but that also couldhave the same problem. You might also look for key variablenames or values, or procedures that you know created the data.The date from a PROC CONTENTs might provide useful information,or an old report created by the same program with a footnote,"Source code: ...". Maybe data lib.w ( label="created by ..." ) ; would be a good habit to ...

Re: search SAS data set from SAS code #2
Rose, The answer to your question depends on your operating system. In Windows, there's the Search tool. In Unix/Linux, you can use grep Bob Abelson HGSI 240 314 4400 x1374 bob_abelson@hgsi.com Rose <myr_rose@YAHOO.COM> Sent by: "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> 04/19/2005 11:13 AM Please respond to myr_rose To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU cc: Subject: search SAS data set from SAS code Hi All, Suppose I have a sas permanent data set which was created early, I know the library path but I couldn't remember in which s...

Re: sas data sets to excel #3
Maybe talk your client out of this? Or just do "passive-aggressive" and = send it on two sheets? It is a really, really bad idea to put two = different data sets on the same sheet.=20 -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: Qiang Fu=20 To: Mary=20 Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:08 AM Subject: Re: sas data sets to excel Hi, Thanks for your quick reply. I think, however, I didn't express me = clearly in the MSG. What I want is to export two different SAS data sets into ONE = weeksheet with one tab name instead of two weeksheets with two different = tab names. The example you gave will export the data sets into two = different tabs with names "sheet1" and "sheet2" respectively even they = are in same workbook. I know this task sounds insane, but client needs. = Any idea? Thanks a lot. Qiang On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Mary <mlhoward@avalon.net> wrote: Hi, I like to use Excel Tagsets for this; it will actually write an XML = file but you can open an XML file in either Excel 2003 or 2007. Setting = the sheet name switches sheets. Here is an example: Excel Tagsets give you a lot of formatting control; here is an = example: ods listing close; ods tagsets.excelxp file=3D"c:\temp\file1.xml' style=3Danalysis = options(absolute_column_width=3D'10,30,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,= 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8' sheet_label=3D' '...

Re: How to change transaction data to individual level data in SAS #3
Tulikaa, What data to you want at the individual level -- overall transaction counts, counts of certain types of transactions, overall dollar value (or similar total), totals within certain categories, etc.? Determine that first (and that probably requires thinking through the intended uses), and then ask how to get that summary. Steve Albert (SAlbert at AOL dot com) On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:05:40 -0700, Tulikaa <tulikaa@YAHOO.COM> wrote: >I need to change transaction level data (multiple items for each >individual) to individual level data in a big file with thousands of >ob...

Re: How to transform Non-NORMAL data to NORMAL data in SAS? #3
You may consider Tukey’s Ladder of Transformations: http://davidmlane.com/teaching/503_2005/Tukey_ladder_transformation.pdf But again: Not all non-normal data can be transformed to be normal. Oleg ...

Re: Reading SAS data sets on UNIX by non-SAS apps #2
John: Following on Richard's thoughtful suggestions, the Affinium system would likely capture data from csv files. SAS PROC EXPORT produces them quickly, and loading them into external systems works faster for relatively basic data structures and data formats, in my experience, than xml parsing. Sig -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of John Bentley Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 10:10 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Reading SAS data sets on UNIX by non-SAS apps I have SAS data sets on AIX that we need to read with Unica's Affinium campaign management software, also on a UNIX box. (Let's not get into why we didn't go with the SAS Solution.) SAS Institute doesn't supply an ODBC driver for the UNIX environment, and the Affinium implementors don't want to use the SAS SQL Library for C and or deal with APIs. Other that dumping the SAS data sets as flat files, can anyone suggest a solution? Thanks in advance for the help. ...

> From: Amar Mundankar > Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:10 AM > To: sas-l@uga.edu > Subject: What r the data types in SAS? in Base SAS , and SAS SQL > > Hi all, > What are the different data types in Base SAS and SAS SQL?? character, lengths from 1 to 32,000+ numeric: lengths from 2 to 8 dates are a subtype of numeric and are identified by their date, datetime, or time formats the new proc TSPL (Table Server Processing Language) supports ANSI data types: bigint, tinyint, etc. http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/tsag/30878/HTML/default/a003 065339.htm http://s...

Re: removing labels in SAS data sets #3
Don't use data steps for jobs that just modify meta data. The contents statements are included to show before and after, they would not normally be needed. data one; x=1; y=0; label x='hey x' y='hey y'; run; proc datasets nolist; contents; run; modify one; attrib _all_ label=' '; run; contents; run; quit; On Jan 16, 2008 7:57 AM, Darryl Putnam <darrylovia@gmail.com> wrote: > On Jan 15, 4:56 pm, Mterje...@RUSSELL.COM ("Terjeson, Mark") wrote: > > Hi Vincent, > > > > Here is one way: > &g...

Re: problem with large sas data sets #3
ok... If we are shipping data between 2 systems, there could be an "alien" system such as a windows, vms, amiga, or whatever between that may not be transmitting the data correctly, If the system is only shuffling data between 2 disk drives on the same CPU, then it could either be a hardware failure of some type, or maybe a write-behind cache could not be flushing completely before the program wants the data again. If I move huge amounts of data, i can see the drive hammering (by the lights) for minutes after the move complete, as the write-behind cache empties... j. Shiping Wang wrote: > Hi Jim > > On 4/21/08, *Jim Agnew* <agnew@vcu.edu <mailto:agnew@vcu.edu>> wrote: > > But, is there a "different" system between the 2 unixes? > > > I know that we use solaris > > > Or, is the SAS dataset being copied to another drive within the same > system? > > > That's possible. Could that cause a problem for data damage? > > j. > > Shiping Wang wrote: > > I use Sas under unix system. > > On 4/21/08, *Jim Agnew* <agnew@vcu.edu <mailto:agnew@vcu.edu> > <mailto:agnew@vcu.edu <mailto:agnew@vcu.edu>>> wrote: > > hhmm.. are you crossing operating systems, like a windows or vms > inbetween unix hosts? is there FTP involved anywhere and it's > sending binary as ascii? ...

Re: how to find sas sample data set #3
Thank all for your answers! It works now. Orange On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Gerhard Hellriegel < gerhard.hellriegel@t-online.de> wrote: > Something with "sample" if they are installed... > It depends on the SAS module. For BASE it is ...\core\sample\ > Gerhard > > > On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:22:48 -0500, help ly <help.ly2005@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > >Hi, I am trying to find SAS sample data set such as medical data set or > >hospital data set because it has to be used in those excersize problems in > >the sas books - Learning SAS by Example. There are supposed to be many > of > >those sample data set from SAS itself, right? > > > >Can anyone help me what's the directory for the data set? > > > >Thanks so much! > > > >Orange > >help.ly2005@gmail.com > -- Thanks so much! Orange help.ly2005@gmail.com Hi Orange, I am facing the same problem you had before. How did you find the example data? I don't see them in either SASHELP or SASUSER library. Thank you! Gavin On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 1:29:11 PM UTC-5, help ly wrote: > Thank all for your answers! It works now. > > Orange > > On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Gerhard Hellriegel < > gerhard.hellriegel@t-online.de> wrote: > > > Something with "sample" if they are installed... > > It depends on the SAS module. For BASE it is ...

Re: SAS data-set index size #3
auto208611@HUSHMAIL.COM wrote: > >Is a telling story if the size of the SAS index file (*.sas7bdnx) is >75% the size >of the SAS data-set itself? > >For instance, we have a data-set that is 533MB's and the index file >is >400MB's. > >Is this an indication of a poor data-set structure? No, it is not an indication of a poor data structure. (You may *have* a poor data structure, but the relative size of the index file is not indicative.) Since Mister Index himself has already chipped in, I'll just add a couple other points. Think conceptually of the i...

Re: SAS with data sets of a billion+ records #3
Dear SAS-L-ers, Richard Reeves posted the following: > I am working with some tables that have between 600 million > and 1.2 billion records. In the end I will only need about > 400 million of these records but to identify them I will have > join several tables together (sorting or indexing each time) > to get to this point. The files don't have a lot of fields as > they come from a very normalized transactional system so even > when everything is joined there will be <50 fields. > > Before I get too far down this road I would like to know if > anyone re...

Web resources about - Re: XML data to SAS data set converstion #3 - comp.soft-sys.sas

Perform Calculations, Converstions Right the Chromebook App Launcher
Chromebook's browser-based operating system may be focused on the web, but its built-in app launcher has a few tricks up its sleeve—like performing ...

Mass–energy equivalence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In physics , mass–energy equivalence is the concept that the mass of an object or system is a measure of its energy content. For instance, adding ...

Conversion Rate Optimisation (CRO), Multivariate & A/B Split Testing - acidgreen
Converstion optimisation is all about taking your existing traffic and turning them into customers and in turn increasing your online revenue. ...

directory - 2earn-online
Teaching people how I became a dot com millionaire Home All Articles Books Want more visitors? Coaching About Contact free hit counter Latest ...

About Us - 2 guys takling Mets baseball - 2 Guys Talking Mets Baseball
... other, about 20 years ago, on a Mets Message Board during the early days of AOL and dial-up modems. This blog is the result of many, many converstions ...

'Cured' of Homosexuality, Student Sues California
Student says the new law protecting LGBT kids from abuse would prevent him from doing his job.

Jewish mp3 downloads.Torah audio free listening.Judaism mp3s
Judaism - one stop for everything Jewish on mp3, Torah audio, Jewish Holidays, Israel , Holocaust Studies, Jewish Spirituality, Weekly Torah ...

Raising Alpacas - Our Guide To These Marvelous Animals
Do you want to know all about raising alpacas? So did we. This website passes along all the knowledge we gained on our journey into this exciting ...

Vintage Recording Formats - audiotools.com.
Information on vintage music recording equipment and formats

Official: Kansas City teens convert VW Karmann Ghia into all-electric, zero-emission beauty
... pure learning lessons, since the group is looking to produce enough kit parts for one EV conversion a month. For more on the Karmann Ghia converstion, ...