SAS created Excel files unreadable under Win 7

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

hi all:

a week ago i finally did a clean install of 64-bit windows 7 on an
almmost 3-year dual Opteron box that had been running 64-bit XP since
October 2007

i'm running the latest 64-bit v9.2 and Office 2007

today, when i went to open an Excel file created from one of my sas
jobs and Excel siad it found unreadable content and asked if i wanted
to recover it ... of course i said yes, yet when i opened the file,
all data was gone

ggogled all around and found other posts saying that Excel file
created by other 3rd party apps would give the same unreadable message
under Win 7 (using both Excel 2003 & 2007)

i then opened my 64-bit Vista laptop here at the office, and was able
to open the SAS created Excel file (that was still on my dual Opteron
box) with no problems

saved it, first to the laptop (and then copied to the desktop machine)
and secondly, saved it directly back to the desktop after opening

and then it would open fine under Win7 ?!?!!?

note: on the proc export i use the DBMS = XLS option (as that's the
only one that will work w/ 64-bit *and* support the SHEET option)

according to the all the other posts i had discovered/read, M$ has
failed to respond to this apparent problem w/ Win 7 reading Excel
files created by these other 3rd party apps (that all worked, and
still work, fine under Vista and XP

also

many of these other posts did not mention any 64-bitness ....

so

was wondering, if anyone out ther under Win 7 might whip out a quick
SAS created/test Excel file & see if it opens OK for you

again: it appears that whatever file-format SAS and these 3rd party
apps have been using is no longer working under Win 7

thanks
0
Reply William 5/18/2010 12:54:23 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.soft-sys.sas 131318 articles. 29 followers. Post

Re: creating excel file beyond the size of an excel worksheet #7
Notice that M. Chung offers only criticism, not help. This is amazing! At 10:45 AM 3/14/2008, Chang Chung wrote: >this is just amazing! with such a short code, mary managed to read the >entire data three times and write twice, when probably reading it once will >suffice. with this kind of coding, no amount of performance tweaking on the >server could keep it from crawling... no wonder sys admins love sas >users... :-) >cheers, >chang ...

Creating Formatted Native Excel Files In SAS
Is there any way to do this? The ExcelXP tagset creates XML files, which are extremely large. Is there any way to create a formatted native Excel sheet in SAS? For example, a sheet with the top row formatted bold, with a background color, and with autofilter turned on? I'd like to avoid having to use the X command. I'm on SAS EG 4.2 in a windows environment. ...

Re: Create an Excel Table in SAS #7
Appologies Alan my english wasn't clear: I have downloaded and installed ..Net v2 because I was getting an error from 1.1 (I realized in order to test your applications this would be a requirement!); you can see in the error note the version used is listed as: Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50215.44; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50215.44 Rgds, Ben. -----Original Message----- From: Alan Churchill [mailto:SASL001@savian.net] Sent: 15 July 2005 14:32 To: ben.powell@CLA.CO.UK; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: Create an Excel Table in SAS Ben, Thanks for the complim...

Re: Creating SAS datasets from reading a file #7
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 17:33:53 -0400, Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/CCHIS/NCPHI) <rjf2@CDC.GOV> wrote: >round, flat, hole-in-middle? > >this wheel has been invented: > >http://tinyurl.com/5abz5h > >http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Split_Data_into_Subsets > >Ron Fehd The MetaCode(TM) Maven > and the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov [snip] So what is the connection between MetaCode and SAS? ...

Creating the bplain format file failed (MiKTex, Winedt, Win 7)
Hi, Win 7 Home Premium, MiKTex 2.9.4503 (full installation), 64 bit, WinEdt 9.0. If I try in MiKTex Options update formats, I get message - creating format file for Babel plain tex failed. All setting are default, only in MikTex options-> Formats bplain is included. Solutions? Thank You in advance, Mart Orav Creating the bplain format file... Running miktex-pdftex.exe... This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (MiKTeX 2.9 64-bit) (INITEX) entering extended mode ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\plain\config\bplain.ini" ("C:\Program File...

Re: Why I can't export the SAS talbe into Excel file? #7
FYI, Excel 2007 does not have these limits. 65K columns, 1M rows. Alan Alan Churchill Savian www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Gerhard Hellriegel Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:59 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Why I can't export the SAS talbe into Excel file? seems to me that EXCEL uses chars and double-chars for the columns. That are 25*25 doubles and 25 single names for columns. That means 650 possible columns. If you have 659 vars, you have too much for EXCEL. Records are also limited, I t...

creating GUI that load excel files & output excel files
hi! I have my M file ready. Basically I use the command 'xlsread' to load Excel data into Matlab...and then computing some calculations and I use 'xlswrite' (in .xls format) as my output. I need help in creating a GUI that load Excel data as well as output the calculated Excel data. can anyone please help me? Joshua ...

Is there a system option for OpenVMS SAS version 8 where a sas program can create an output file with a file attribute of "Stream_LF" so that these external files can b
To SAS-Lers (specifically OpenVMS Users), Is there a system option for OpenVMS SAS version 8 where a sas program can create an output file with a file attribute of "Stream_LF" so that these external files can be served through an Apache WebServer properly? Currently, what happens is when we create a CSV file, the Apache Webserver wants to load the contents of this CSV file into a single cell for Excel. That is, all OBS are treated as a SINGLE record and all the contents is loaded into a single cell within Excel. To fix this problem, we are able to use an "Convert/FDL" th...

Re: Is there a system option for OpenVMS SAS version 8where a sas program can create an output file with a file attribute of "Stream_LF" so that these external files ca
We don't have SAS/Intrnet on OpenVMS, so that problem didn't come up here, but I had a similar problem with creating files I wanted to ZIP later - a text file in the standard OpenVMS format can't be ZIPped, transferred to Windows, UNZIPped, and read there (not easily, anyway). The file needed to be in stream format before it was ZIPped. My workaround was to create an empty stream-format file and append to it; SAS is smart enough to figure out that the appended data need to be in stream format also. -- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Manager, Technical Development Metrics Departm...

Re: Is there a system option for OpenVMS SAS version 8 where a sas program can create an output file with a file attribute of "Stream_LF" so that these external files c
Charles Patridge <charles_s_patridge@PRODIGY.NET> wrote: > Is there a system option for OpenVMS SAS version 8 where a sas program can > create an output file with a file attribute of "Stream_LF" so that these > external files can be served through an Apache WebServer properly? > > Currently, what happens is when we create a CSV file, the Apache Webserver > wants to load the contents of this CSV file into a single cell for Excel. > That is, all OBS are treated as a SINGLE record and all the contents is > loaded into a single cell within Excel. > > T...

SAS dde to excel, sorted excel file
I use sas dde to output the data into excel. the data itself is not sorted. but the excel file is sorted by some order. the sasdata is like below: name weeks Group x1 80 AH x2 90 Vo x3 97 Other x4 313 GE x5 255 GE x6 526 GE x7 552 CG x8 566 CG x9 430 FM x10 315 GE x11 233 AH x12 43 GE x13 166 KO x14 36 NI x15 7 Other x16 54 FM x17 540 CG x18 133 KO x19 64 FM x20 60 TM x21 167 FM x22 146 Other x23 111 Other x24 222 FM x25 26 Other x26 95 Other x27 254 NI x28 0 GE x29 316 GE x30 55 Other x31 40 GE x32 71 GE x33 227 TM x34 131 Other x35 66 Other x36 296 TM x37 187 VO x38 97 FM x39 8 Other ...

sas data file --> excel file
Does any one know an easy way of transfer sas data file to excel file except EXPORT? we have DBMS engine, which is really easy to read excel file to SAS, but I don't know if that engine is helpful to export SAS data file to excel file. Any comments are welcome. Thanks. Mindy I wrote a paper on doing this using Visual Studio Express for C# and reading the SAS dataset using OleDb. You can find the paper with step-by-step instructions here: http://www.savian.net/Utilities.aspx Several people have followed the steps with no issues. Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft...

Re: sas data file --> excel file
I wrote a paper on doing this using Visual Studio Express for C# and reading the SAS dataset using OleDb. You can find the paper with step-by-step instructions here: http://www.savian.net/Utilities.aspx Several people have followed the steps with no issues. Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Mindy Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 4:27 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: sas data file --> excel file Does any one know an easy way of tr...

is it possible to create a win binary file from .py files ?
Hi, I am new to python and I would like to know if there are some ways to provide a binary file as target . Because my projects may contain lot of py files and I do not want to provide source files . for maintenance puproses it is too easier for me to send only one file to my customer. Best Regards Steph ...

Re: SAS dde to excel, sorted excel file
Tina, I don't think you've provided enough information for anyone to respond. The code you show includes two macro variables, but nothing showing what they're set to, and you mention some vba code but didn't include it. If you're only outputing name, the sample data you provided did appear to be sorted by that field, thus would export that way. Art ----- On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 23:13:48 -0700, tengteng <mrxtengteng@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >I use sas dde to output the data into excel. >the data itself is not sorted. but the excel file is sorted by some >order. > ...

Create Excel File without Ms. Excel inside
Hi to all, Does anybody here know an easy way to create an excel file (.XLS) without Ms. Excel install inside? Regards, Darmadi Darmadi > Does anybody here know an easy way to create an excel file (.XLS) > without Ms. Excel install inside? Yes, but not with VO, someone else may know though<bg> CYA Steve You can do this only with the XML version: 2003 Pro or Office 2007. And then it is quite easy. (But use google) "steve_dar@yahoo.com" <steve_dar@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:dbe314f1-2664-48e1-9993-6816bc625681@q14g2000vbn...

creating excel file beyond the size of an excel worksheet
Hi List: I am creating excel output tables using the ODS and proc report. But I found the size of the file is too large with more than 60,000 observations or even more than 65,000 observations. I could not even open them. Note that I have to use the excel format for the output table. I am looking for some advice to split the files into two within SAS and then output them separately or any other advice that solves this problem. I have thought I probalby need to use the obs= option but I only know for example for the first 30,000 observations but not sure the syntax for the remaining number of...

RE: is it possible to create a win binary file from .py files ?
Take a look at: - py2exe: http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/ - McMillan's installer: http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html - cx_Freeze: http://starship.python.net/crew/atuining/cx_Freeze/index.html Cheers, pieter Creo pieter claerhout | product support prinergy | tel: +32 2 352 2511 | pieter.claerhout@creo.com | www.creo.com IMAGINE CREATE BELIEVE(tm) -----Original Message----- From: stephane ancelot [mailto:sancelot@free.fr] Sent: 15 January 2004 11:25 To: python-list@python.org Subject: is it possible to create a win binary file from .py files ? Hi, I am new t...

Re: creating excel file beyond the size of an excel worksheet
You could just create a variable within your data set: data set2; set set1; obsnum + 1; data set3; set set2; where obsnum < 60000; data set4; set set2; where obsum >=3D 60000; run; Then export the new data sets. -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: Ai Hua Wang=20 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU=20 Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 10:22 AM Subject: creating excel file beyond the size of an excel worksheet Hi List: I am creating excel output tables using the ODS and proc report. But I found the size of the file is too large with more than 60,00...

Thank you Re: creating excel file beyond the size of an excel
Hi List: Thanks so much for all of your great advice. I have incorporated what you have offered into my SAS codes. They work well. Have a good weekend, Aihua ____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping ...

Re: How to change .xls files into .txt files in SAS #7 1554977
Just a quick thought, you can save the Excel file as .txt file directly. Is this not possible Srinivas -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of SUBSCRIBE SAS-L Chandra Gadde Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 2:57 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: How to change .xls files into .txt files in SAS Hi All, I have several excel files saved in a directory. How can I change all the excel files into .txt files in SAS? Is there a way to do that? I think we can import one file at a time into SAS and then send them back as text files. Please help ...

Re: How to change .xls files into .txt files in SAS #7 669560
Hmmm, I ran the sample code on 8.2 with XP-Pro and got the expected tab delimited text files. ....I presume you are looking at the results with a text editor... Mark -----Original Message----- From: SUBSCRIBE SAS-L Chandra Gadde [mailto:ddraj2015@GMAIL.COM] Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 1:53 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU; Terjeson, Mark (IM&R) Subject: Re: How to change .xls files into .txt files in SAS Hi Mark, I couldn't see any data in the dataset we imported. All I could see is bunch of html language.I am using Microsoft Windows XP, Professional. Should I be using something else...

Re: creating excel file beyond the size of an excel worksheet #4
Aihua, Excel 2003 has a limit of 65536 (2**16). I believe Excel 2007 expands this. You may also run into the limit of 256 columns. when you are processing you can use dataset options FIRSTOBS and OBS set input(firstobs=30001 obs=60000); would get you up to 30000 observations starting with the 30001 th. HTH, Dennis Diskin -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ai Hua Wang Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 11:22 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: creating excel file beyond the size of an excel worksheet Hi List: I am creating excel ...

Re: creating excel file beyond the size of an excel worksheet #11
Disregard the earlier message Aihua: Here' how to get more than 64,000 rows in Excel 2003 I'm grabbing a program originally for 2 worksheets so be aware I'm modifying a program for two work sheets. One sheet is input the other output from the input sheet data into I'm modifying the program for you without knowing your details. Sub In2Out() ' 'Sub In2OutTable45() ' In2OutTableMoreMorethan64000LinesMacro ' Macro by John Birken ' Dim OS1, OS2, OS3, OS4 In1, In2, In3, In4 As Worksheet Set OS1 = Sheets("Out1") Set OS2= Sheets("Out2") ...