Spaces in MS Access table name

Hi all,
I need to use some data stored in a MS Access table, so I am using a
libname to connect to it (example: "libname mydb odbc dsn =
myaccessdb;")  That works fine but I have no idea how to use the table
because of the spaces in the name ("tbl my access table").  I know SAS
is going to "create" its own name for the table but how do I find out
what that name is?  I've tried looking the properties in the explorer
window and proc datasets but all I see is the name with the space,
which I know won't work.  Renaming the table in access is not an
option so I need to figure out how to handle it in SAS.  (I'm using
9.2 for windows)

Thanks!
SB

I believe its something like this.

data sasset ;
set 'access table with spaces'n ;
run;

Ray Wallace
Institutional Research
Washington State University

On Feb 17, 8:30=A0am, SB <shannon.blu...@us.ngrid.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I need to use some data stored in a MS Access table, so I am using a
> libname to connect to it (example: "libname mydb odbc dsn =3D
> myaccessdb;") =A0That works fine but I have no idea how to use the table
> because of the spaces in the name ("tbl my access table"). =A0I know SAS
> is going to "create" its own name for the table but how do I find out
> what that name is? =A0I've tried looking the properties in the explorer
> window and proc datasets but all I see is the name with the space,
> which I know won't work. =A0Renaming the table in access is not an
> option so I need to figure out how to handle it in SAS. =A0(I'm using
> 9.2 for windows)
>
> Thanks!
> SB

0
rwallacer1 (28)

Re: How to access automatically in SAS a MS Access table name
i am not sure if SAS will support long file name if you use libname. a workaround is to use passthrough. On Jan 16, 2008 12:31 PM, JKamgang@Yahoo.com <JBKamgang@gmail.com> wrote: > Dear All, > > > > Happy New Year , > > > > Please, I need your help in figuring out how to access in SAS a MS > Access > table name which has more than 32 characters. As this program merges 5 > databases, I need to have almost everything automated. That's why I > don't want to rename manually the table names. > > > > Please find the progra...

Re: Spaces in MS Access table name
Say you have a dataset named: My Dataset You can access it with: 'My Dataset'n so, in this case it would be mydb.'My Dataset'n This is necessary in Excel libname all of the time ($ is at the end of all sheet names). Or, my preferred option, berate the client/coworker who gave you the badly named access table until they promise never to do so again ... :) -Joe On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:30 AM, SB <shannon.blumer@us.ngrid.com> wrote: > Hi all, > I need to use some data stored in a MS Access table, so I am using a > libname to connect to it (example: "libname mydb odbc dsn = > myaccessdb;") That works fine but I have no idea how to use the table > because of the spaces in the name ("tbl my access table"). I know SAS > is going to "create" its own name for the table but how do I find out > what that name is? I've tried looking the properties in the explorer > window and proc datasets but all I see is the name with the space, > which I know won't work. Renaming the table in access is not an > option so I need to figure out how to handle it in SAS. (I'm using > 9.2 for windows) > > Thanks! > SB > ...

Re: Spaces in MS Access table name #2
Hi SB, I haven't tried this for a few years, but if I recall you can use the string literal syntax in SAS such as: 'tbl my access table'n in the SAS code to include the embedded spaces. Hope this is helpful. Mark Terjeson Senior Programmer Analyst Investment Management & Research Russell Investments 253-439-2367 Russell Global Leaders in Multi-Manager Investing -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of SB Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:31 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Spaces in MS Access table name Hi all, I need to use some data stored in a MS Access table, so I am using a libname to connect to it (example: "libname mydb odbc dsn = myaccessdb;") That works fine but I have no idea how to use the table because of the spaces in the name ("tbl my access table"). I know SAS is going to "create" its own name for the table but how do I find out what that name is? I've tried looking the properties in the explorer window and proc datasets but all I see is the name with the space, which I know won't work. Renaming the table in access is not an option so I need to figure out how to handle it in SAS. (I'm using 9.2 for windows) Thanks! SB ...

Re: IMPORTING MS ACCESS DB TABLES INTO SAS
> -----Original Message----- > From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On > Behalf Of Kevin F. Spratt > Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 2:07 PM > To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU > Subject: IMPORTING MS ACCESS DB TABLES INTO SAS > > I have a project in which much of the data has been entered into a MS > Access database. > > I have used Stat/Transfer version 7 to import the tables and > this works in that > all of the variables are read in with the labels specified within the > data base. > Variables with "internal' SAS formats (e.g., MMDDYY8.) are > also attached. > > However, when I import the tables using sas proc import, I > get the data and > the "internal SAS formats, but none of the labels. The SAS online > documentation > for Proc Import has not been very helpful. For example, I somehow > (probably from > the list) learned to include the usedate=yes option to remove the > time part of a > data when importing, but this option is not in the proc > import documentation. > > Since there are a lot of tables, I would prefer to use SAS import, or > some other SAS procedure (e.g., ODBC?) to get the data, but I would > like to obtain both > the labels and have both the internal SAS formats and the MS > Access defined > relationships between values and their meanings(e.g., Sex 1=Male > 2=Female -9=missing) > used to create study specific SAS forma...

SAS/ACCESS Libname: Reading Tables with Names Longer than 32
Hello Everyone, =A0 I've recently learned about the SAS/ACCESS libname and manged to write the = code for reading SQL Server tables that appears below. I'm receiving databa= ses that=A0contain tables with names=A0substantially longer than the 32 cha= racter=A0limit and was just wondering if anyone=A0knows a way of dealing wi= th this. My hope was that there might be an option that would tell SAS to t= runcate any table names that go beyond the 32 character=A0limit,=A0but I ha= ven't been able to find anything like that. =A0 Thanks, =A0 Paul=A0 =A0 libname sqllib oledb provider=3DSQLOLEDB datasource=3D'xxxx' user=3Dxxxx pr= operties=3D("Initial Catalog"=3Dxxxx) prompt=3Dyes schema=3Ddbo dbmax_text= =3D32767; =A0 =A0 =A0=0A=0A=0A _________________________________________________________= _________=0AYahoo! Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and boo= kmark your favourite sites. Download it now=0Ahttp://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com. ...

Accessing Oracle Tables from MS Access
How difficult is this? I'm having a tough time getting a simple select to work. I am using MS Access 2002 and Windows XP. What do I have to do to make a simple select statement like this work: select id from emp I have stumbled upon many websites although none straight to the point. Any help in how to get this done, or pointing me in the right direction of a book or website, would be greatly appreciated! berj Yes, I do have the table links working. But I did want to run the select for such things as grabbing the next number off of a sequence. As in: select test.nextval fro...

Is there anyone who knows how to convert MS Access tables to SAS datasets in Unix?
Hi, I've several huge mdb sitting on my red-hat linux box. I'd like to convert them into sas or stata without taking them off the server. I don't have a PC file server and a manual download to a PC or Mac and then converting is not an option. My Sas is 9.1.3. Can anyone help? thanks, Carolina ...

Re: SAS/ACCESS Libname: Reading Tables with Names Longer than 32 #6
Does this LIBNAME option have any effect on your problem? preserve_tab_names=yes On 8/27/09, Paul Miller <pjmiller_57@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi Dan, and Art, and others, > > Yes, the problem is that the SQL Server table names are too long. My libname > > libname sqllib oledb provider=SQLOLEDB datasource='xxxx' user=xxxx password=xxxx properties=("Initial Catalog"=xxxx) > prompt=yes schema=dbo dbmax_text=32767; > > only allows me to read tables with names up to 32 characters long. > > The problem is that I'm routinely receiving SQl Server...

Re: SAS/ACCESS Libname: Reading Tables with Names Longer than 32 #3
Dan, If you're correct he could capture the original name, use the Window's ren command to shorten it, and then reset the true filename. Art ------- On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:56:29 -0700, Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) <NordlDJ@DSHS.WA.GOV> wrote: >> -----Original Message----- >> From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of >> Arthur Tabachneck >> Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:39 PM >> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >> Subject: Re: SAS/ACCESS Libname: Reading Tables with Names Longer than 32 >> Characters >> >>...

How to get table names from ms access(mdb file) by using odbc library.
Hi. I am writing a c++ program get the data from mdb file using odbc library. By the way, I couldn't get table list from mdb file. i goolgled it up little bit, what i found is only using the ADO(or OLE i'm not sure) library and "SELECT Name FROM MSysObjects WHERE Type In (1,4,6) AND Left([Name], 4)<>"MSYS" this query. i already wrote a lot of part of this program so i don't want to switch database library. And the query gives "no read permission on 'MSysObjects' " error message. If you know how to get the table list from a mdb file by usin...

Update MS Access table from another table
This is probably very simple but I can't figure out a way to update one table from another table. Here is an example: ------ TABLEA ------ first_name last_name grade ------ TABLEB ------ first_name last_name grade I want to update TABLEB's "grade" column from TABLEA (join by first_name and last_name). What's wrong with following sql? UPDATE TABLEB SET GRADE = (SELECT GRADE FROM TABLEA WHERE TABLEA.LAST_NAME = TABLEB.LAST_NAME AND TABLEA.FIRST_NAME = TABLEB.FIRST_NAME) Also, one more question: How do I update TABLE's &quo...

How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
Dear all, I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know when they were created and/or modified. The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, but I have not managed to read it from SAS. (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. Regards Dietrich -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

Re: How to access MS-Access metadata tables (eg MSysObjects)
The answer is given here: Problem Note 7495: No read permission on System Tables when using SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC with a Microsoft Access ODBC Driver http://support.sas.com/kb/7/495.html Regards Dietrich Dietrich Alte schrieb: > Dear all, > > I have an MS-Access MDB-file with hundreds of tables and want to know > when they were created and/or modified. > The MS-Access metadata table MSySObjects includes this information, > but I have not managed to read it from SAS. > (CLI describe error tells me that I have no reading access) > --> Does anybody have a working code example for this? > I have tried the libname ACCESS and Libname ODBC variants. > > Regards > > Dietrich > -- DIETRICH ALTE, Dipl.-Statistiker, Dr. rer. med. Wiss. Projektmanager "Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP)" Institut f�r Community Medicine - SHIP/KEF EMA-Universit�t Greifswald - Medizinische Fakult�t Walther-Rathenau-Str. 48, D-17475 Greifswald, Germany URL ship.community-medicine.de Phone ++49(0)3834-867713, Fax ++49(0)3834-866684 ...

access newbie- how to modify datasource name in MS Access 97 app?
I have an old MS Access 97 application that we're converting to a web-based app. I completed the necessary mods on the original product, but need to point to a test database. The app uses a machine datasource that uses Oracle 7.3 drivers- some 5 years old- I created a new datasource that works great, but am having trouble identifying where Access 97 stores the datasource name information. please post here, THANKS! Don Not sure how you're going to make an Access application web-bases, but... Have you tried using the Linked Tables Manager to point to your new datasource? "D...

What is the name of the name space I am in?
I try to use "new.new.classobj (name, baseclass, dict)" and have no clue what the "dict" of the current name space is. I can name dicts of imported modules, because their name exists in the current name space. If, for instance, I import a module "service" then that module's name space would be "service.__dict__". But if I import * from service, then I incorporate that name space into the current one and I cannot name it, because the current module's name is not part of the module's own name space. "dir (service)" is e...

Comparing tables in MS Access
Hi, I am not really familiar with MS ACCESS. However, I am trying to make some reports where you compare current data from a table with old data from the same table. What I'm saying is we have a database with current data, and the same database with old data. I need to create reports for new rows inserted, deleted rows, and updates rows. I'm having trouble figuring how to query which rows have been updated (meaning the primary key(s) are the same, but other attributes of the row have been modified). Can someone please help? Bung bung@telusplanet.net (Bung) wrote in message news...

Ms Access Tables Internet
Hi to All I am Developping an Access Aplication For Rent Cars and i need to connect The Database to internet There is no problem for the application to Work over LAN What I need is a Simple way or Sample to connect the user interface to the table on the internet or LocalHost Even using sqlserver or dns for sql server 1- What I need to load the database to the web site 2- How to connect the user interface to the web site Please if any one get the solution answer me i Know this is not a help desk but if any one want to help please answer me Thanks a lot tho any one helped before and any one wil...

MS Access and SAS datasets
I'm trying to move several SAS datasets to a single MS Access database. When I use proc copy to move the data, I get the following note: NOTE: Copying SCFSAS.PT_MISC to SCFFAS.PT_MISC (memtype=DATA). NOTE: SAS variable labels, formats, and lengths are not written to DBMS tables. My problem is that I'm interested in keeping the variable labels and the formats as well. Is it possible for SAS to automatically create the "lookup tables" from the formats? Also, is there a way to keep the variable labels when I move from SAS to Access? David Neal Use PROC FORMAT with t...

RELATIONSHIPS IN MS ACCESS TABLES
I have 2 tables (name / address & address / info) with the address field common to both and a relationship set between them. It is the number of info records that increase so the relationship avoids the need to duplicate the address. The tables are in use with around 200 records. The name / address table also includes a post/zip code field. I can add a further relationship between the 2 tables but how do i display the qualifiying info records without having to re-enter all the information. Thanks Phil ...

.mat is not an MS Access Table ...
Can anyone tell me how to convince MS WinXP that my .mat files are not MS Access Tables? I've set the file association in the Windows Explorer options to Matlab, but still it insists that .mat means Access table, it refuses to display the file extension (also set to be displayed), and Outlook won't let me email .mat files to colleagues, since it's convinced that I'm attempting to mail links to a tables. I understand that my life is better when I'm not using Windows, but that's not an option in this case. Thanks for any help, Bruce "Bruce Elliott" <bruce...

Re: SAS and MS Access
If you don't then you could perhaps consider bolting on your own JDBC interface in Java? (JDBC is free SAS ACCESS to PC is not...) On Thu, 6 May 2004 07:27:13 +0100, =?iso-8859-1?q?Ari=20Toikka?= <toikkari@YAHOO.CO.UK> wrote: >Hi, > >if you have ACCESS to PC Data files licensed, >you can use the import / export wizards (File / Import Data) >You can then save the generated program, which >might look for example like this: > >Proc import out = sasuser.test > datatable="h456test" > dbms =ACCESS97 replace; > DATABASE="T:\h345t...

Web resources about - Spaces in MS Access table name - comp.soft-sys.sas

Space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the general framework of distance and direction. For the space beyond Earth's atmosphere, see Outer space . For the keyboard ...

My virtual living room: Setting up a social VR space in the house
... call "home-appropriate"—meaning, it's pretty ornate and complicated, but not so much that you need to dedicate an entire lab or office space ...

Developers seek to give Columbia County 'downtown' space
With boundless recreational opportunities, stellar schools and a swelling population of upwardly mobile residents, Columbia County seems to have ...

Bezos unveils his plans for space program
KENT, Wash. — Long before he ever conceived of the idea to sell books on the Internet, he was obsessed with space. It started at age 5 when he ...

Year in space astronaut hangs up his spacesuit, retires
Business Insider Year in space astronaut hangs up his spacesuit, retires Business Insider FILE - In this Wednesday, March 2, 2016 photo provided ...

European Space Agency launches Mars mission
The European Space Agency has just launched its mission to Mars. Its aim: find evidence of rare gases to show whether there has ever been life ...

European, Russian space agencies launch mission to Mars
DARMSTADT, Germany (AP) — Europe and Russia have launched a joint mission to explore the atmosphere of Mars and hunt for signs of life on the ...

Folding, full-size keyboard won’t hog bag space
iClever Tri-folding Keyboard We’re always looking for ways to take our tech on the go without filling up our limited bag space, and we’ve found ...

STX Entertainment Swaps Around ‘Bad Moms’ & ‘The Space Between Us’
STX Entertainment is swapping the release dates between Bad Moms and The Space Between Us . Bad Moms aka the untitled Lucas/Moore comedy is moving ...

How Satellites Find Shipwrecks From Space
Distinctive linear plumes of these particles extend as far as 2.5 miles downstream from shallow shipwreck sites.