stat question: comparing proportions in 2 dependent samples

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I'm looking for an appropriate statistical test for the difference in
proportions. I want to compare the proportion of a factor (for example,
males) in population A versus the proportion in population B.
However, population A is a partial subset of the larger population B (i.e.,
most, but not all, of population A is contained in population B).
I can't use the ChiSquare test as the 2 samples are not independent (such
as cases vs controls). I'm reluctant to use the McNemar's test for
dependent proportions as the 2 samples are not paired (such as before vs
after in the same population). Can anyone recommend a suitable statistical
test for the difference in these proportions? I'd be delighted with any SAS
code as well!
0
Reply wcw2 (31) 7/17/2007 5:58:52 PM

See related articles to this posting

Take a look at the proc freq documentation.  One thing you will find is:

McNemar's test
Beginning in Release 6.10, use the AGREE option in Base SAS PROC FREQ.
Before Release 6.10, create a three-way table with a stratum variable
identifying each subject (or matched group), a variable indicating each
occasion (condition or individual within matched group), and a binary
response variable. Then use the CMH option. For example, if each subject
gives a binary response to each of two drugs, use the statement:
  tables subject*drug*response/cmh2 noprint;

HTH,
Art
--------
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:58:52 -0400, wcw2 <wcw2@CDC.GOV> wrote:

>I'm looking for an appropriate statistical test for the difference in
>proportions. I want to compare the proportion of a factor (for example,
>males) in population A versus the proportion in population B.
>However, population A is a partial subset of the larger population B
(i.e.,
>most, but not all, of population A is contained in population B).
>I can't use the ChiSquare test as the 2 samples are not independent (such
>as cases vs controls). I'm reluctant to use the McNemar's test for
>dependent proportions as the 2 samples are not paired (such as before vs
>after in the same population). Can anyone recommend a suitable statistical
>test for the difference in these proportions? I'd be delighted with any
SAS
>code as well!
0
Reply art297 (4212) 7/17/2007 11:10:00 PM

wcw2@CDC.GOV wrote:

>I'm looking for an appropriate statistical test for the difference in
>proportions. I want to compare the proportion of a factor (for example,
>males) in population A versus the proportion in population B.
>However, population A is a partial subset of the larger population B (i.e.,
>most, but not all, of population A is contained in population B).
>I can't use the ChiSquare test as the 2 samples are not independent (such
>as cases vs controls). I'm reluctant to use the McNemar's test for
>dependent proportions as the 2 samples are not paired (such as before vs
>after in the same population). Can anyone recommend a suitable statistical
>test for the difference in these proportions? I'd be delighted with any SAS
>code as well!

Why?

I'm not being frivolous.  The underlying reason for this is likely to
determine
whether this is statistically appropriate or not.  Either way, you ought to
be looking at sample B vs. (population A - sample B).

If you have two proportions which come from different samples, but
there is an issue with the populations that the samples come from, then
that is a completely different question.

So I'm not clear on exactly what you want.

HTH,
David
--
David L. Cassell
mathematical statistician

Reply davidlcassell (5567) 7/26/2007 9:16:39 PM
comp.soft-sys.sas 131474 articles. 30 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Re: stat question: comparing proportions in 2 dependent samples #2
wcw2@CDC.GOV wrote: > >I'm looking for an appropriate statistical test for the difference in >proportions. I want to compare the proportion of a factor (for example, >males) in population A versus the proportion in population B. >However, population A is a partial subset of the larger population B (i.e., >most, but not all, of population A is contained in population B). >I can't use the ChiSquare test as the 2 samples are not independent (such >as cases vs controls). I'm reluctant to use the McNemar's test for >dependent proportions as the 2 samples a...

Re: stat question: comparing proportions in 2 dependent samples
Take a look at the proc freq documentation. One thing you will find is: McNemar's test Beginning in Release 6.10, use the AGREE option in Base SAS PROC FREQ. Before Release 6.10, create a three-way table with a stratum variable identifying each subject (or matched group), a variable indicating each occasion (condition or individual within matched group), and a binary response variable. Then use the CMH option. For example, if each subject gives a binary response to each of two drugs, use the statement: tables subject*drug*response/cmh2 noprint; HTH, Art -------- On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13...

Sampling Question #2
Suppose I take samples at once per minute for a data logger. Do I still need an anti-aliasing filter? The sampling freq would be 1/T where T=60 secs...so how is this possible? The values of the capacitors etc would be hugh. Of course I could over-sample1000s of times...is this the norm? K. On 1 Aug, 22:12, kronec...@yahoo.co.uk wrote: > Suppose I take samples at once per minute for a data logger. Do I > still need an anti-aliasing filter? The sampling freq would be 1/T > where T=3D60 secs...so how is this possible? The values of =A0the > capacitors etc would be hugh. Of course ...

A Sampling Question #2
Hello Everyone, I'd like to get some inputs on how to solve a sampling requirement at my end. I have two datasets - Dataset A (6M records) and Dataset B(50K records). Both datasets have a common ID/ Strata (ex: B100101,B110101, etc). Please note that there are more than 500 unique IDs. I'd like to use the distribution in Dataset B to extract 50K records from DatasetA. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Ganesh Sounds like the general process is: a) use PROC FREQ (or similar) to generate a frequency dataset from DATASET B for your distribution; something like proc freq data=...

Database Compare,Data Compare tool,sort sync scipts with database dependencies. #2
DBC ensuring your applications don't fail due to a missing database structure object.DBC (Database Compare) is a fast, comprehensive database structure and data comparison tool.Sort sync scipts with database dependencies. goto www.d-softs.com ...

Comparing two proportions in SPSS (2 non-exclusive diseases in 2 data columns)
Hi, Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share. I'm using SPSS 14.0 for Windows. I have a sample population of 1000 subjects. In my data, I have one column that says whether or not subjects have disease A. Let's say 20% have disease A. I have a second column that says whether or not subjects have disease B. Let's say 80% have disease B. I want to run an analysis using SPSS that will reveal if the prevalence of disease B is significantly greater than the prevalence of disease A in my population. (I would expect so given the large sample size and the substanti...

Question #2 #2
Hi, not sure how much this newsgroup is being followed at the moment but... Anyone knows of some virtualization software that can be used - compiled on a PA-8800 (a known working binary is welcome, too) running 11i v1 ? I've tried Bochs, but the virtual cpu does an hard reset and hangs whatever I try to emulate Alessandro Mazzini Alessandro wrote: > Anyone knows of some virtualization software that can be used - compiled on > a PA-8800 running 11i v1? HP-UX's virtualization on PA only works on Vpars on cell based machines. For Integrity servers in addition, it has HPVM...

Question #2 #2
Why don't the MS apologists who post here use Outlook Express to do so? ...

2 questions #2
1. I need a good text editor for HP 49G+. a HP "Notepad" so to say... text editor that can input formulas would be great also. if not, then recommend a good formula editor seperately 2. How to install the new firmware? I've downloaded it from the HP site, but I can't upload it with connectivity kit. thank you -- When you dream, there are no rules. People can fly...anything can happen. sNNooPY wrote: > 1. I need a good text editor for HP 49G+. a HP "Notepad" so to say... What about the built-in editor? > text editor that can input formulas would be grea...

2 questions #2
Hi, I would like to know if the grid configuration can be save, and how to copy in a way that the upper right corners are aligned (usually, copy centers in the new image...) thanks, L lisztnet@aliceadsl.fr wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to know if the grid configuration can be save, The grid applied to an image is saved with the image (if saved as XCF of course). If you want to define a different default grid that applies to all new images, see Preferences/Default Grid. > and how to > copy in a way that the upper right corners are aligned (usually, copy > centers in t...

Question #2 #2
Hi, I have a general question of this newsgroup if I may. I have a non-commercial website detailing a certain vintage video tape recorder. I have an idea for the site, which is to have a "Virtual" version of the machine. I have a good image of the TV/vcr that I want to use, the idea being that the surfer to my page would be able to click on one of the buttons on the TV whereas the Java program would play one of a few random MPEG video clips taken straight from the original media. The video would be displayed in the screen portion of the digital image of the TV. How hard would so...

question #2 #2
Body Of Test. ...

Question #2 #2
I start learning lisp and I am using GNU CLISP 2.32 I am now trying some very simple example from a test book, but somehow clisp give me a strange result. adding 3.13 and 2.71 should produce 5.85, but somehow it returns 5.850004. Any comment on this? By the way, I have a mac. Do you know any good lisp freeware on the mac platform? Thanks, Anthony STACK depth: 16367 GNU CLISP 2.32 (2003-12-29) (built on dirac.cgtp.duke.edu [152.3.25.193]) Software: GNU C 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1640) ANSI C program Features [SAFETY=3]: (CLOS LOOP COMPILER CLISP ANSI-CL COMMON-LISP LISP=CL...

Question #2 #2
How kan I draw dipol antenna pattern with matlab? Bani wrote: > How kan I draw dipol antenna pattern with matlab? help polar steffen ...

A question #2 #2
Could anyone explain why an array will always be faster than a hash object described in SAS Prog3 course note?? Not sure if I agree it is always faster. Depends on what problem you are actually trying to solve. In terms of physically accessing the memory location an array is stored in a nice evenly spaced block of memory. So if your program asks for item number 10 SAS knows immediately where to find it. Hashes are stored in some type of binary tree. So when you ask for item 10 SAS needs to make one or more refences to the index (is that the right term) for the hash to figure out where it is l...

2 Questions #2
Q1. I want to disable the graphical interface which appears in tty02 when I restart the SCO Unix ( Ver 5.0.6). Q2. Our application requires the /dev/tty10 /dev/tty11 /dev/tty12 owner, group and mode to be online:online, read-write for all ( chmod 666 ). crw-rw-rw- 1 online online 0, 9 Sep 16 08:09 tty10 crw-rw-rw- 1 online online 0, 10 Sep 16 08:09 tty11 crw-rw-rw- 1 online online 0, 11 Sep 16 08:09 tty12 After I change the owner, group and mode and restart the server, the device owner, group and mode changes back as below : crw------- 1 bin terminal 0, 9...

2 Questions #2
I can't find the answers in help. Using Reg Eurora 6 1. If I send a mail using a "group name" how can I see the names in that group. I know that I can see then in my address box but are the individuals address visable to others? 2. Is there any way to "retract" or to "cancell" a send mail from those that haven't opened it. Thanks oldtrout oldtrout <no-one@home.ca> wrote: > 1. If I send a mail using a "group name" how can I see the names in > that group. I know that I can see then in my address box but are the &g...

question #2 #2
HI &nbsp; I have a problem, I don't know what is the name of this Icon (see Attachment) and I don't know where to look for it . secondly let us call this icon X ,&nbsp;can I put this X icon in my LV (8.5) at the end( I mean after&nbsp;that I finished the&nbsp;prog.)&nbsp;if yes how . coz I tried to&nbsp;do &nbsp;copy &amp; past&nbsp; to&nbsp;the X icon &nbsp;from an other LV and to put it&nbsp;in my LV&nbsp;, it works but&nbsp; all the Icons was hidden. is there any way how to solve it ? &nbsp; the second question is the Tab ...

Upgrading to 2.3 from 2.2, questions
Hello, (Note: if there is a FAQ that covers this issue just give me the URL. I checked python.org's General and Windows FAQ's and didn't see anything.) I am about to upgrade from Python 2.2 to 2.3. Here are a few questions: - Do I need to uninstall 2.2 first? - Are there any paths I should add to my Win 2k PATH environment variable? - I am running on Windows 2000 and I have several site-packages installed. These were installed using individual one-click installation programs (thank you module writers). Do I need to rerun each of the installations again, after I upgrade? Or, ...

A PROC COMPARE QUESTION #2
I have used PROC COMPARE. In the dataset Everything is matching ( when I am doing hand check). But in teh output I am finding it is not. More ever for the heading: Variables with Unequal Values --- I see " Ndif" "MaxDif" ... what they mean? Can anyone please help me out? thanks The COMPARE Procedure (Method=EXACT) Values Comparison Summary Number of Variables Compared with All Observations Equal: 2. ...

Quadrature Sampling Question #2
My understanding is that you phase shift one signal by 90 degrees with a hilbert tranformer than sample - is that right? With a carrier based system you need only use sin and cos and then sample giving I and Q. The advantage appears to be that you can sample at B (bandwidth) rather than 2BHz. Can we extend this and phase shift by pi/4 and sample with 4 ADCs? In general we would get a sampling freq of (2/n).B where n is the number of samplers. Would this work or does it only work for the quadrature case. Also where is the proof of quadraure sampling? I understand the standard theory, it beg...

DSP56F801EVM sample question! #2
Hey All, I've got the DSP56F801E kit and latest evaluation release of code warrior. Being lucky enough, i was able to run the 80MHz sample which uses a push button to switch between the compare match register (fast and slow blink of LED7). Every thing is working fine i can compile, load and debug the sample. Now i want to know what exactly below code is doing: asm(bfclr #$0020,X:GPIO_B_xxx); asm(bfset #$0020,X:GPIO_B_xxx); bfset and bfclr are meant to say set the bit and clear the bit (fair enough) and thats ok with me. 'xxx' stands for DDR , DR, PER and that is also ok...

Re: A sampling question #2
It's not a question of the validity of the results, but of the standard error of the data. If power is low, it means that, even if there IS something to find, you're not that likely to find it, at least if you judge by statistical significance (not the best basis on which to judge). If you have a random sample, then the estimates that you get are valid, in the sense that they are unbiased; but they may not be very reliable, in that they (may) have high standard errors (but they may not - sometimes a VERY small data set is fairly conclusive). You don't provide many details, but ...

Re: stats question #2
Yes it is ordinal.... How to handle such a variable in clustering ?? It depends, there are several options available, however each of the treatments revolve around the question as to what are the other variables, in addition to age, being considered and whether the dispersion i.e interval in one variable is more important than the other. In other words, you may have a variable Income which is on a continuous scale and Age on an ordinal scale then in clustering, if no variable standardization is done, then Income will turn out as the main dimension and will get more weight in clustering because...