stat question: comparing proportions in 2 dependent samples

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I'm looking for an appropriate statistical test for the difference in
proportions. I want to compare the proportion of a factor (for example,
males) in population A versus the proportion in population B.
However, population A is a partial subset of the larger population B (i.e.,
most, but not all, of population A is contained in population B).
I can't use the ChiSquare test as the 2 samples are not independent (such
as cases vs controls). I'm reluctant to use the McNemar's test for
dependent proportions as the 2 samples are not paired (such as before vs
after in the same population). Can anyone recommend a suitable statistical
test for the difference in these proportions? I'd be delighted with any SAS
code as well!
0
Reply wcw2 (31) 7/17/2007 5:58:52 PM

See related articles to this posting

Take a look at the proc freq documentation.  One thing you will find is:

McNemar's test
Beginning in Release 6.10, use the AGREE option in Base SAS PROC FREQ.
Before Release 6.10, create a three-way table with a stratum variable
identifying each subject (or matched group), a variable indicating each
occasion (condition or individual within matched group), and a binary
response variable. Then use the CMH option. For example, if each subject
gives a binary response to each of two drugs, use the statement:
  tables subject*drug*response/cmh2 noprint;

HTH,
Art
--------
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13:58:52 -0400, wcw2 <wcw2@CDC.GOV> wrote:

>I'm looking for an appropriate statistical test for the difference in
>proportions. I want to compare the proportion of a factor (for example,
>males) in population A versus the proportion in population B.
>However, population A is a partial subset of the larger population B
(i.e.,
>most, but not all, of population A is contained in population B).
>I can't use the ChiSquare test as the 2 samples are not independent (such
>as cases vs controls). I'm reluctant to use the McNemar's test for
>dependent proportions as the 2 samples are not paired (such as before vs
>after in the same population). Can anyone recommend a suitable statistical
>test for the difference in these proportions? I'd be delighted with any
SAS
>code as well!
0
Reply art297 (4213) 7/17/2007 11:10:00 PM

wcw2@CDC.GOV wrote:

>I'm looking for an appropriate statistical test for the difference in
>proportions. I want to compare the proportion of a factor (for example,
>males) in population A versus the proportion in population B.
>However, population A is a partial subset of the larger population B (i.e.,
>most, but not all, of population A is contained in population B).
>I can't use the ChiSquare test as the 2 samples are not independent (such
>as cases vs controls). I'm reluctant to use the McNemar's test for
>dependent proportions as the 2 samples are not paired (such as before vs
>after in the same population). Can anyone recommend a suitable statistical
>test for the difference in these proportions? I'd be delighted with any SAS
>code as well!

Why?

I'm not being frivolous.  The underlying reason for this is likely to
determine
whether this is statistically appropriate or not.  Either way, you ought to
be looking at sample B vs. (population A - sample B).

If you have two proportions which come from different samples, but
there is an issue with the populations that the samples come from, then
that is a completely different question.

So I'm not clear on exactly what you want.

HTH,
David
--
David L. Cassell
mathematical statistician

Reply davidlcassell (5566) 7/26/2007 9:16:39 PM
comp.soft-sys.sas 130350 articles. 22 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Re: stat question: comparing proportions in 2 dependent samples #2
wcw2@CDC.GOV wrote: > >I'm looking for an appropriate statistical test for the difference in >proportions. I want to compare the proportion of a factor (for example, >males) in population A versus the proportion in population B. >However, population A is a partial subset of the larger population B (i.e., >most, but not all, of population A is contained in population B). >I can't use the ChiSquare test as the 2 samples are not independent (such >as cases vs controls). I'm reluctant to use the McNemar's test for >dependent proportions as the 2 samples a...

Re: stat question: comparing proportions in 2 dependent samples
Take a look at the proc freq documentation. One thing you will find is: McNemar's test Beginning in Release 6.10, use the AGREE option in Base SAS PROC FREQ. Before Release 6.10, create a three-way table with a stratum variable identifying each subject (or matched group), a variable indicating each occasion (condition or individual within matched group), and a binary response variable. Then use the CMH option. For example, if each subject gives a binary response to each of two drugs, use the statement: tables subject*drug*response/cmh2 noprint; HTH, Art -------- On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 13...

Sampling Question #2
Suppose I take samples at once per minute for a data logger. Do I still need an anti-aliasing filter? The sampling freq would be 1/T where T=60 secs...so how is this possible? The values of the capacitors etc would be hugh. Of course I could over-sample1000s of times...is this the norm? K. On 1 Aug, 22:12, kronec...@yahoo.co.uk wrote: > Suppose I take samples at once per minute for a data logger. Do I > still need an anti-aliasing filter? The sampling freq would be 1/T > where T=3D60 secs...so how is this possible? The values of =A0the > capacitors etc would be hugh. Of course ...

A Sampling Question #2
Hello Everyone, I'd like to get some inputs on how to solve a sampling requirement at my end. I have two datasets - Dataset A (6M records) and Dataset B(50K records). Both datasets have a common ID/ Strata (ex: B100101,B110101, etc). Please note that there are more than 500 unique IDs. I'd like to use the distribution in Dataset B to extract 50K records from DatasetA. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Ganesh Sounds like the general process is: a) use PROC FREQ (or similar) to generate a frequency dataset from DATASET B for your distribution; something like proc freq data=...

Database Compare,Data Compare tool,sort sync scipts with database dependencies. #2
DBC ensuring your applications don't fail due to a missing database structure object.DBC (Database Compare) is a fast, comprehensive database structure and data comparison tool.Sort sync scipts with database dependencies. goto www.d-softs.com ...

Comparing two proportions in SPSS (2 non-exclusive diseases in 2 data columns)
Hi, Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share. I'm using SPSS 14.0 for Windows. I have a sample population of 1000 subjects. In my data, I have one column that says whether or not subjects have disease A. Let's say 20% have disease A. I have a second column that says whether or not subjects have disease B. Let's say 80% have disease B. I want to run an analysis using SPSS that will reveal if the prevalence of disease B is significantly greater than the prevalence of disease A in my population. (I would expect so given the large sample size and the substanti...

A PROC COMPARE QUESTION #2
I have used PROC COMPARE. In the dataset Everything is matching ( when I am doing hand check). But in teh output I am finding it is not. More ever for the heading: Variables with Unequal Values --- I see " Ndif" "MaxDif" ... what they mean? Can anyone please help me out? thanks The COMPARE Procedure (Method=EXACT) Values Comparison Summary Number of Variables Compared with All Observations Equal: 2. ...

DSP56F801EVM sample question! #2
Hey All, I've got the DSP56F801E kit and latest evaluation release of code warrior. Being lucky enough, i was able to run the 80MHz sample which uses a push button to switch between the compare match register (fast and slow blink of LED7). Every thing is working fine i can compile, load and debug the sample. Now i want to know what exactly below code is doing: asm(bfclr #$0020,X:GPIO_B_xxx); asm(bfset #$0020,X:GPIO_B_xxx); bfset and bfclr are meant to say set the bit and clear the bit (fair enough) and thats ok with me. 'xxx' stands for DDR , DR, PER and that is also ok...

Re: stats question #2
Yes it is ordinal.... How to handle such a variable in clustering ?? It depends, there are several options available, however each of the treatments revolve around the question as to what are the other variables, in addition to age, being considered and whether the dispersion i.e interval in one variable is more important than the other. In other words, you may have a variable Income which is on a continuous scale and Age on an ordinal scale then in clustering, if no variable standardization is done, then Income will turn out as the main dimension and will get more weight in clustering because...