TABLES TABLES TABLES

How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that the concept of
TABLES isn't limited to SQL?  This came up during a discussion on table
lookup methods - and lookup tables in particular (I mean, lookup tables pre-
date SQL).  Even SAS data sets are referred to as tables.  This made the
student apoplectic.

Words of wisdom most welcome!!!

Thanks,
Howard
0
SASbum (19)

sasbum@AOL.COM wrote:
>How would you best describe to a retiscent SAS student that the concept of
>TABLES isn't limited to SQL?  This came up during a discussion on table
>lookup methods - and lookup tables in particular (I mean, lookup tables
>pre-
>date SQL).  Even SAS data sets are referred to as tables.  This made the
>student apoplectic.

I find a visual works well here.  If you show a grid with rows and columns,
then
you can show a picture of a SAS data set and a SQL table and a lookup table,
and show that (regardless of terminology and buzzwords) they're all pretty
much
the same.

>Words of wisdom most welcome!!!

Sorry, all you get is me.